Game 18: @Georgetown

• 171 replies
Re: Game 18: @Georgetown
« Reply #140 on: January 10, 2017, 03:20:52 PM »
If JTIII is fired at the end of the season, at least Georgetown and the fans can say they gave him every chance and opportunity to him. JTIII has wasted more talent and opportunities then Mullin has so far, and Mullin has had far less talent.

Thompson has done less with more than anyone since Carol Wayne. (I was going to say Jayne Mansfield but I updated the reference for the kids.)

Probably still not recent enough.  You would have to go Kate Upton.

TONYD3

« Reply #141 on: January 10, 2017, 03:40:28 PM »
This one might have been on me.  I had been posting that this team was one of our best offensively and that the problem with the team was entirely defense.

Then they go for 55.  At least I was still right about the defense stinkin.

Kiss of death.
Carmine you only think that because you missed the Xavier game . Much worse in my opinion.

« Reply #142 on: January 10, 2017, 04:36:12 PM »
This one might have been on me.  I had been posting that this team was one of our best offensively and that the problem with the team was entirely defense.

Kiss of death.
Carmine you only think that because you missed the Xavier game . Much worse in my opinion.

Tony,  I was just considering the offense.  Scoring 82 at Creighton is certainly a lot better production than scoring 55 at Georgetown.

Defensively, giving up 54 in a half of college basketball is embarrassing.  Unless you're playing Loyola Marymount of course.

I'm expecting a big effort from our boys this long weekend.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2017, 04:46:58 PM by carmineabbatiello »

« Reply #143 on: January 10, 2017, 07:59:51 PM »

Kiss of death.

Tony,  I was just considering the offense.  Scoring 82 at Creighton is certainly a lot better production than scoring 55 at Georgetown.

Defensively, giving up 54 in a half of college basketball is embarrassing.  Unless you're playing Loyola Marymount of course.

I'm just expecting a long weekend.

« Reply #144 on: January 10, 2017, 09:03:38 PM »
We tell our selves to not get too high or too low after losses but I feel like the team needs to realize this as well. Everything was going great, they got a spot on the 6 oclock news everyone was happy. They lose two games to two great teams and come out like absolute trash tonight.

Tonight was not on Mullin, the players gave up at halftime and that is 100% on the players.

How do you play for a half, you're down only 7, then just quit in the 2nd half?
This team is sad.

We didn't share the sugar.  We needed a Costco on the court and a Mr. Miaggi on the bench.

SJUFAN

« Reply #145 on: January 11, 2017, 02:51:50 PM »

Kiss of death.

Georgetown is not a good match up for us. They took advantage of their size, extended there zone against us and forced us to drive into it, we had/have no answer for it. Our front line is a non factor. Haven't seen Providence yet but so far the only team in the BE I can say we have more talent than is DePaul.   

Marillac

« Reply #146 on: January 11, 2017, 03:12:05 PM »

Kiss of death.

Georgetown is not a good match up for us. They took advantage of their size, extended there zone against us and forced us to drive into it, we had/have no answer for it. Our front line is a non factor. Haven't seen Providence yet but so far the only team in the BE I can say we have more talent than is DePaul.   

Terrible matchup. They are men. Good or bad, every year they are men. 

TONYD3

« Reply #147 on: January 11, 2017, 03:57:40 PM »
Georgetown came in the game on a 10 game conference losing streak. They will most likely finish with a losing record. They were bigger then us. But they shouldn't have beaten us that easy. Their should be some fight. Or is giving up part of the process?
« Last Edit: January 11, 2017, 04:02:03 PM by TONYD3 »

« Reply #148 on: January 11, 2017, 09:26:58 PM »
Georgetown came in the game on a 10 game conference losing streak. They will most likely finish with a losing record. They were bigger then us. But they shouldn't have beaten us that easy. Their should be some fight. Or is giving up part of the process?

They were bigger than us, but they also stink.  I believe they're something like 3-18 in their last 21 conference games.  The only reason it's a terrible matchup is due to us being terrible.

EDIT:  My numbers are a bit off, but they have a terrible record in their last 17 or 18 conference games.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2017, 09:50:08 PM by mjdinkins »

Poison

« Reply #149 on: January 12, 2017, 12:47:00 AM »

Kiss of death.

Our team seems to get up for certain opponents and they seem to not really about others. That's what it embarrassing, and there is person and one person alone who gets the blame for that shit effort.

« Reply #150 on: January 12, 2017, 01:56:19 PM »
Our team seems to get up for certain opponents and they seem to not really about others. That's what it embarrassing, and there is person and one person alone who gets the blame for that shit effort.

Father Harrington?

Marillac

« Reply #151 on: January 12, 2017, 02:59:38 PM »

Kiss of death.

Their boyish bodies? Programs that win year after year have rosters filled out with men. Xavier always has a few veteran 6'10 250 guys like O'Mara and James Farr to come in and bruise opponents. How many hand checks, pushes, bumps, screens, and fouls can our boys take?

Calhoun transformed the bodies of all his players at Uconn. Wings were 220+ all bigs were over 235. If we want to become a good program, we need an elite strength and conditioning team. It's why losing a guy like Sima hurts more than most realize.

SJUFAN

« Reply #152 on: January 12, 2017, 05:35:36 PM »

They were bigger than us, but they also stink.  I believe they're something like 3-18 in their last 21 conference games.  The only reason it's a terrible matchup is due to us being terrible.

EDIT:  My numbers are a bit off, but they have a terrible record in their last 17 or 18 conference games.

Matchup plus strategy matter. If they didn't extend the zone and gave our guards clear looks at the basket we could beat them. They broke us, physically and mentally. The signs of a young team where on full display later part of the game. Still need to see better effort out there on defense and that is on the staff. Youth is an excuse for mental lapses, not effort. Don't like what I see out of the team from a defensive schematic stand point.   

TONYD3

« Reply #153 on: January 12, 2017, 06:22:56 PM »
Matchups matter for both teams. One team was bigger. One team was quicker. One team had a game plan. One team didn't. I have watched Georgetown a few times vs low level teams. They didn't abuse those teams like they did us.

SJUFAN

« Reply #154 on: January 13, 2017, 12:54:40 PM »
Matchups matter for both teams. One team was bigger. One team was quicker. One team had a game plan. One team didn't. I have watched Georgetown a few times vs low level teams. They didn't abuse those teams like they did us.

Wait....you believe we are the quicker "team"? One or two players doesn't equate to team. Just because we got spanked doesn't mean the staff didn't have a plan. Which team do you believe has more talent.... GT or SJU?

Foad

« Reply #155 on: January 13, 2017, 01:18:26 PM »

They beat South Carolina State by 45, Coppin State by 52, and UNC Greensboro by 22. They beat #13 Oregon by 4.  They beat Howard by 13, LA State by 15, and Syracuse by 7. The one close game they had versus a "low level" team was Elon, who they beat by three.

If you think the SJU loss was a matter of a faulty "game plan" you're out of your mind.

goredmen

« Reply #156 on: January 13, 2017, 01:29:46 PM »

They beat South Carolina State by 45, Coppin State by 52, and UNC Greensboro by 22. They beat #13 Oregon by 4.  They beat Howard by 13, LA State by 15, and Syracuse by 7. The one close game they had versus a "low level" team was Elon, who they beat by three.

If you think the SJU loss was a matter of a faulty "game plan" you're out of your mind.

They also lost to Arkansas State in a game that was never really close. Georgetown isn't a good team but the way we lost to them shouldn't be surprising. Georgetown is bad, we're worse

« Reply #157 on: January 13, 2017, 01:48:28 PM »

They also lost to Arkansas State in a game that was never really close. Georgetown isn't a good team but the way we lost to them shouldn't be surprising.

Exactly!  The Arkansas State game was never really that close.  They also looked like crap during the latter stages of their games versus Marquette and Providence (as, well as utterly destroyed by Wisconsin and Oklahoma State), as I mentioned previously.  Oregon's best player, Dillon Brooks, was also playing his first game after an injury (he only logged 13 minutes against the Hoyas).  G'town won, so I'll give 'em that one.

Basically, any team with a pulse, they've lost to 'em.

Georgetown is bad, we're worse

This is it, IMO.  They'll end up winning about 6 conference games.

« Last Edit: January 13, 2017, 01:57:51 PM by mjdinkins »

TONYD3

« Reply #158 on: January 13, 2017, 02:06:04 PM »

What game plan?

Foad

« Reply #159 on: January 13, 2017, 02:09:20 PM »

They also lost to Arkansas State in a game that was never really close. Georgetown isn't a good team but the way we lost to them shouldn't be surprising. Georgetown is bad, we're worse

I've never seen them play and have no idea whether they're good or not. Their record suggests they're not very. But they have nine upperclassmen and we have none unless you count Alibagoshit and I don't. They have two freshmen who average 20 minutes a game between them. We have three first year players who average > 25 minutes a game and they're our three best players by a wide margin. You can't game plan you're way out of that. Between them Jessie Govan and Bradley Hayes are 14 feet tall and weight 550 pounds. I'd like to see one of these CYO coach geniuses game plan their way around that. Golly let's out quick them with Missini and Freudenburger. It's just ridiculous.