Yakwe or Williams?

• 40 replies
Yakwe or Williams?
« on: January 16, 2017, 10:25:12 PM »
It seems to me that Williams has been playing better overall than Yakwe when he has been getting a decent amount of minutes. However, the staff doesn't always play him. I am wondering why. Do you agree or disagree with my thoughts?

boo3

Re: Yakwe or Williams?
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2017, 10:44:41 PM »
Both players have their limitations.. I'd honestly play the hot hand on a game by game basis..

Williams scares me a little bit with his decision making, I must admit.  For example...he made a terrible save under his own basket today , gave ball to a DePaul player right under basket.. 

ras

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2017, 10:50:49 PM »
I think the answer is Williams getting some more minutes, but like the previous poster said the amount depends on how they are playing.

Poison

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2017, 11:06:38 PM »
Both players have their limitations.. I'd honestly play the hot hand on a game by game basis..

Williams scares me a little bit with his decision making, I must admit.  For example...he made a terrible save under his own basket today , gave ball to a DePaul player right under basket.. 

Williams is much smarter on the court than Yakwe. He's clearly still working his way from injury, but for the most part, Williams has made good decisions with the ball. Yakwe is a sophomore, but really, he plays like a freshman.

desco80

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2017, 11:11:41 PM »
I think Yakwe's defense has been much better lately.  A number of times today I was impressed with Yakwe cutting off the baseline when Billy Garrett was driving from the corner.
Stood his ground and put his hands up without fouling.  Good positioning.

Yakwe is still a work in progress but I think he's the better player overall.  In certain situations however, I have no problem seeing DW get more minutes. 

goredmen

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2017, 11:57:21 PM »
I think they are about even at this point and since that is the case, play the younger guy. We aren't accomplishing anything this season anyway, Yakwe needs as much as experience as he can get since as it stands now he'll need to be a big part of this team next season if we are gonna be a big jump in Mullin's 3rd year.

What Yakwe needs most is to catch 100 passes in a row every day at practice. Bounce passes, hard passes, lobs, on the move and finish the play. So infuriating that he can't catch most of the passes thrown to him and when he does he can't finish

« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2017, 12:34:14 AM »
Anyone but Amar tbh.

« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2017, 08:07:08 AM »
When Yakwe learns how to crash the glass, catch the ball and keep it moving and some back to the basket low post moves he should play.  Until then, Williams should get the majority of the minutes.

« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2017, 08:19:24 AM »
Jones

« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2017, 09:07:00 AM »
Yakwe is small.  He's playing out of position.

Wods317

« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2017, 09:32:48 AM »
I think Yakwe is a little better overall but he has struggled for most of the year. They really need to work with him this offseason on developing a short jumper and rebounding. His free throw stroke looks way better because Mullin and him worked on it a ton. Hopefully this offseason they can work on a short jumper, would help him tremendously.

« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2017, 09:52:41 AM »
« Last Edit: January 17, 2017, 09:57:24 AM by Amaseinyourface2 »
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2017, 10:46:26 AM »
does williams have any eligibility left?  If not, yakwe might as well get the experience.  if williams has another year, then he should get more burn

QuanMan

« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2017, 11:21:33 AM »
Yakwe is a very good on ball defender, Darien brings additional physicality and offensive capabilities. Having the two of them split the PF minutes and keeping Amar on the bench the way the staff did yesterday is more than fine with me.
Section 3
Section 116

« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2017, 11:22:41 AM »
I still would like to see a 1 3 1 with Yakwe at top

redslope

« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2017, 11:24:54 AM »
Yakwe is still learning the game but I would start him as I don't believe coming off the bench is the way to deal with it. Owens/ Williams has much more BB experience/sense and can handle the bench role.  As the old saying goes--it is not who starts but who finishes.

desco80

« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2017, 11:38:54 AM »
I don't want to make excuses for Yakwe, Owens or Williams ...
But, the guards need to throw accurate passes.  We take it for granted, but that is an important skill.
Hitting a teammate in the hands so he doesn't have to move his feet to shoot is a skill.  And so is feeding a big man in position to score.

Coaches harp on this in practice at all levels of basketball.  And it can be as much on the guards as the big guys having poor hands.   Throw them the ball on target.

« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2017, 11:43:00 AM »
I think you have to be smart with dealing with Williams. Not sure his body is capable of the grind night in, night out. Just my own speculation.

Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2017, 11:44:12 AM »
Hitting them in the hands isn't on target?  ??? Case in point-last night they ran a great set play with Owens rolling to the basket would have had an easy dunk but ball went right off his hands. Owens played a very good game though. Yakwe fails to catch passes right in his hands all the time. Not every pass is going to be perfect so don't really get your point desco.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2017, 11:47:14 AM by Celtics11 »