Yakwe or Williams?

• 40 replies
Re: Yakwe or Williams?
« Reply #20 on: January 17, 2017, 06:39:59 PM »
where is Rich the last few games?

« Reply #21 on: January 17, 2017, 10:27:26 PM »
Yakwe is small.  He's playing out of position.

Agree with this. You can clearly see that he doesn't have the size to play with some of these guys. He got away with it last year because he was playing 3 and 4. This year, they are making him play a lot of 5. I think that's why he looks lost. Unless he improves his game and assuming none of the current key players leave, I think he will be at the lower end of the rotation next year when Clark and Simon join the rotation.

I think that's why Williams needs to play more. He has more size to deal with it and actually has shown some flashes of offense along with some defensive and rebounding skills. All I see from Yakwe this year is his shot blocking.

« Reply #22 on: January 17, 2017, 10:44:20 PM »

Agree with this. You can clearly see that he doesn't have the size to play with some of these guys. He got away with it last year because he was playing 3 and 4. This year, they are making him play a lot of 5. I think that's why he looks lost. Unless he improves his game and assuming none of the current key players leave, I think he will be at the lower end of the rotation next year when Clark and Simon join the rotation.

I think that's why Williams needs to play more. He has more size to deal with it and actually has shown some flashes of offense along with some defensive and rebounding skills. All I see from Yakwe this year is his shot blocking.

What makes him a good shot blocker can make him a valuable piece, IMO. Athletic and got to the rim a good bit last year, and has showed energy the last 2 games

Poison

« Reply #23 on: January 17, 2017, 11:36:40 PM »

Last year, he played very well as the replacement for Sima in BE play. I don't he has the skills to play the 3. He can't face the basket or put it on the floor yet. He's simply too raw in those areas. Last year, he aggressively pulled down rebounds, blocked shots and on offense he went up strong and showed a nice touch around the basket.

This year, his biggest weakness on offense is that he doesn't know what to do with the ball when he gets it. Our offense requires all 5 guys to move the ball quickly and generally make quick decisions. Yakwe has to catch up. Like everyone on the team, he needs to get stronger, but I don't think that alone will solve this. If he boxed out, he'd get more boards.

Marillac

« Reply #24 on: January 18, 2017, 02:26:13 PM »
Williams by quite a bit the last ten games or so. Yakwe should be embarrassed by his rebounding #s. On a 1-10 scale, Yakwe is a 2 for hands while Williams is an 8. Williams also boxes out nearly every opportunity and plays for position while Yakwe gives up boards and position for blocks.

Williams is clearly limited by his conditioning and is still adjusting to the d-1 game. I don't think his errors thus far (handing away board under basket) are indicative of a low bball IQ as much as a lack of experience thus far. I actually believe his awareness and IQ are well above average.

The health concerns scare me, but he's clearly worth the scholarship on the court and a Big East 8-9 roational guy with the right matchup. At the very least he's a guy you can insert against a bruiser and expect the bleeding to stop. Nobody is going through him.

« Reply #25 on: January 18, 2017, 06:22:15 PM »

Last year, he played very well as the replacement for Sima in BE play. I don't he has the skills to play the 3. He can't face the basket or put it on the floor yet. He's simply too raw in those areas. Last year, he aggressively pulled down rebounds, blocked shots and on offense he went up strong and showed a nice touch around the basket.

This year, his biggest weakness on offense is that he doesn't know what to do with the ball when he gets it. Our offense requires all 5 guys to move the ball quickly and generally make quick decisions. Yakwe has to catch up. Like everyone on the team, he needs to get stronger, but I don't think that alone will solve this. If he boxed out, he'd get more boards.

Agreed. But there is also a lot of times he's squared up against the opposing team's 5. However, because of the size difference, the 5 is allowed to catch the ball with ease and usually able to post Yakwe up with ease whether Yakwe is in position or not. Yakwe only makes up for it if he times the release right and swats it. If he get's faked or doesn't time it right, then it's usually an easy score inside.

Poison

« Reply #26 on: January 18, 2017, 08:11:45 PM »

Agreed. But there is also a lot of times he's squared up against the opposing team's 5. However, because of the size difference, the 5 is allowed to catch the ball with ease and usually able to post Yakwe up with ease whether Yakwe is in position or not. Yakwe only makes up for it if he times the release right and swats it. If he get's faked or doesn't time it right, then it's usually an easy score inside.

Once Patton caught the ball, it was over. If Yakwe put a body on Patton, and denied him the ball, he might have been more effective. Yakwe needs to learn the game. His offense is shitty, because he has no plan with the ball. There's no plan to set up a teammate or to make a move on the guy who is guarding him. We never see Yakwe back his man down, and try an up and under.

« Reply #27 on: January 18, 2017, 10:21:17 PM »

Once Patton caught the ball, it was over. If Yakwe put a body on Patton, and denied him the ball, he might have been more effective. Yakwe needs to learn the game. His offense is shitty, because he has no plan with the ball. There's no plan to set up a teammate or to make a move on the guy who is guarding him. We never see Yakwe back his man down, and try an up and under.

Patton was the perfect example of this. Next time we play them, I'm hoping Mullin will learn from that mistake and make Owens and Williams play Patton. I'll even take Alibegovic on Patton rather than Yakwe. At least he's a bigger body.

« Reply #28 on: January 18, 2017, 10:23:15 PM »

Patton was the perfect example of this. Next time we play them, I'm hoping Mullin will learn from that mistake and make Owens and Williams play Patton. I'll even take Alibegovic on Patton rather than Yakwe. At least he's a bigger body.

I'd put Holifield on Patton. Foul as soon as he catches.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

Poison

« Reply #29 on: January 18, 2017, 11:45:15 PM »

We'll see if Mullin is aware that allowing Patton to catch the ball was the problem. Too bad that sissy center quit the team. Could have used him.

goredmen

« Reply #30 on: January 18, 2017, 11:55:46 PM »

We'll see if Mullin is aware that allowing Patton to catch the ball was the problem. Too bad that sissy center quit the team. Could have used him.

If he's actually a sissy, we probably don't need him

Poison

« Reply #31 on: January 19, 2017, 02:38:49 AM »

If he's actually a sissy, we probably don't need him

We don't need any player who doesn't feel the need to hustle, and unfortunately that was Sima. Still, it's not a good look to see St.John's bragging online about landing this great recruit and then not even 10 games into his sophomore season, he just quits because he's lost playing time. He's a sissy because he clearly doesn't realize that he lost playing time because his play warranted it. He could have sat, watched and learned what it takes to play at this level. Spain is one thing. The BE is another. Better hope Ok State doesn't have a TO waiting for his turn.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2017, 02:40:10 AM by Poison »

« Reply #32 on: January 26, 2017, 01:38:28 PM »
I didn't get to see much of the game last night. However, from what I did see and looking at the stat sheet, it looks like Williams showed to be a more valuable piece down the stretch. Nothing to take away from Yakwe but I think he's playing out of position defensively.

Poison

« Reply #33 on: January 26, 2017, 01:57:55 PM »
I didn't get to see much of the game last night. However, from what I did see and looking at the stat sheet, it looks like Williams showed to be a more valuable piece down the stretch. Nothing to take away from Yakwe but I think he's playing out of position defensively.

There's nothing to take away from Yakwe's 2 point zero rebound performance, except 2 points, which is better than nothing I guess. He is out to lunch.

« Reply #34 on: January 26, 2017, 02:14:37 PM »
Speaking of Yakwe...I'm about over these OSNA kids.

Felix Balamou - blah
Obekpa - meh
Yakwe - Blah

And we can blame St Johns coaching for failing to develop these kids but one of the best coaches in the country, Bill Self, couldn't get anything out of Cheik Diallo.

Its like all they teach these guys is how to jump and block shots and nothing else...not even basic basketball moves.

Maybe Diakite will be the last of it.

Poison

« Reply #35 on: January 26, 2017, 02:18:45 PM »

Felix Balamou - blah
Obekpa - meh
Yakwe - Blah

And we can blame St Johns coaching for failing to develop these kids but one of the best coaches in the country, Bill Self, couldn't get anything out of Cheik Diallo.

Its like all they teach these guys is how to jump and block shots and nothing else...not even basic basketball moves.

I'm not ready to say Yakwe is a bust. Let's see how seriously he takes basketball this summer. Clearly, he thought he would just be ready this year.

paultzman

« Reply #36 on: January 26, 2017, 03:07:59 PM »

Felix Balamou - blah
Obekpa - meh
Yakwe - Blah

I'm not ready to say Yakwe is a bust. Let's see how seriously he takes basketball this summer. Clearly, he thought he would just be ready this year.

Will be surprised to see either Diakite or Yakwe here next season if KY does not play much better in face of dwindling minutes.

Wods317

« Reply #37 on: January 26, 2017, 04:04:47 PM »

Felix Balamou - blah
Obekpa - meh
Yakwe - Blah

Will be surprised to see either Diakite or Yakwe here next season if KY does not play much better in face of dwindling minutes.

Was going to say this also. I wouldn't be very surprised at all to see Yakwe go after the season. His minutes are dwindling and it doesn't seem like it will change next year when we get Clark as well as Walker and a possible grad transfer big.

redslope

« Reply #38 on: January 26, 2017, 05:13:39 PM »

Felix Balamou - blah
Obekpa - meh
Yakwe - Blah

Was going to say this also. I wouldn't be very surprised at all to see Yakwe go after the season. His minutes are dwindling and it doesn't seem like it will change next year when we get Clark as well as Walker and a possible grad transfer big.

If that were to occur does Williams apply for Med redshirt year?

« Reply #39 on: January 29, 2017, 09:31:22 PM »
I'm not saying that Yakwe doesn't have anything to offer. I think with someone to work with him, he can still develop into a player. I just think he's playing out of position on the defensive side of the ball. Offensively he obviously needs to develop a game as well.

Tonight was just another example that Williams needs to get more minutes in that rotation. He seems to be the only one who understands that he needs to get under the hoop and box out when the other team shoots.