Game 21: Seton Hall

• 198 replies

Wods317

Re: Game 21: Seton Hall
« Reply #160 on: January 22, 2017, 08:48:43 PM »
Can't do anything about kids that want to leave. You hope that good players don't transfer out but if they don't want to be here then what are you going to do. If they don't want to stick around to try to improve then good luck to them elsewhere. I hope we keep everyone but people who worry about if players will transfer is a waste. Let the coaching staff worry about that.

Wods317

« Reply #161 on: January 22, 2017, 08:50:48 PM »
Also after every loss the whole team is supposedly transferring but when we win you hear nothing so take what you hear with a grain of salt.

« Reply #162 on: January 22, 2017, 09:10:46 PM »
Can't do anything about kids that want to leave. You hope that good players don't transfer out but if they don't want to be here then what are you going to do. If they don't want to stick around to try to improve then good luck to them elsewhere. I hope we keep everyone but people who worry about if players will transfer is a waste. Let the coaching staff worry about that.
What if they are leaving because of the coaching and then good players stop coming because of the coaching. Then can we worry because the coaches won't cause they are getting paid.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2017, 09:11:17 PM by Celtics11 »

« Reply #163 on: January 22, 2017, 09:21:19 PM »
Through 30 minutes of the game today Delgado had 17 boards.

Through BE play including todays game Yakwe has 16 boards.

That's our starting center
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

« Reply #164 on: January 22, 2017, 09:47:48 PM »
Haven't heard jack s*** about Ponds except that he loves the staff and being at the school.  Losing is tough, no doubt, but I don't buy this for this particular kid.  Though some folks seem to relish in the slightest hint at someone leaving.

Also after every loss the whole team is supposedly transferring but when we win you hear nothing so take what you hear with a grain of salt.

« Reply #165 on: January 22, 2017, 09:56:00 PM »
For those wondering this was the Ponds post after the game

« Reply #166 on: January 22, 2017, 10:03:32 PM »
Seems like kid is just blowing off steam.  Unfortunately they only know how to use social media to do it.  Like others have said, losing is tough but what is tougher is someone who fights through it and makes them self and others better.  As a fan, I know there is a process and it would take time, but for the kids who are on the court, they want to win all the time, no matter what. 

I thought winning 15 games would be a success this year, but as a player, who would want to win just 15?  Goal is to always win as much as possible, no matter what the process is. 

Kids have to get tougher, play smarter and believe in that they can get to where they want to be, but that is on them and the staff.

« Reply #167 on: January 22, 2017, 10:28:47 PM »
Speaking of trusting the process, this team reminds me of so much on how we played under Lavin when we were down.  The 1 on 1 crap is frustrating and is killing the "process".  I believe this comes down to a couple of factors.  One, we have 0 leadership from anyone on the court, and 2, our coaches are handcuffed by who they can bring in when things go awry.  The coaches need to step up and be more leaders, they are just too lackadaisical and the lack of preparation for away games is mind boggling.

There are those that don't want to believe it, but this team has talent, they are just out manned and too young to understand how to play with/in a team concept on a nightly basis..  We talk fundamentals, but a lot of these kids ignore them because they never got taught properly. Again on the staff to be better leaders and drill these kids with that stuff and take them out if they wont buy into it.  Unfortunately they are handcuffed because you take out "X" and bring in "Y" and we lose a lot when bringing in "Y".   

Not sure what Clarke and Simon will bring to table, other than experience, and being bigger, stronger players, but if they can add depth, we will see quicker yanks next year when players are being selfish. 

IMO, our biggest recruit over the next few years, has to be an x and o guys over any player we bring in. Without that guy, it does not matter if we bring in 4*, 5* or 10*, we won't win without better coaching and if you need examples just look at what went on with LSU last year and Washington this year.

« Reply #168 on: January 22, 2017, 10:32:42 PM »
+1   rdstr25

Wods317

« Reply #169 on: January 22, 2017, 11:02:26 PM »
What if they are leaving because of the coaching and then good players stop coming because of the coaching. Then can we worry because the coaches won't cause they are getting paid.

And you're worrying about that helps how?

Dan

« Reply #170 on: January 22, 2017, 11:21:49 PM »
if Ponds leaves Mullin is officially not working out.  He shouldn't get additional time to figure it out.  Give the guy 4 years.  Year 1 was understandably a joke.  This year isn't much better.  Not confident in this team making a big jump next year.

They have a big man problem and they have no answer for it because they took a giant gamble on a character issue guy and big surprise he continued to be a shit person
« Last Edit: January 22, 2017, 11:22:57 PM by Dan »

Johnny23

« Reply #171 on: January 22, 2017, 11:27:42 PM »
I couldn't see the game today but I don't need to.

I can come here anytime throughout the season including at season's end in March and it will be the same ole shit.

The problems on the court won't go away until the CS and admin makes changes. Better coaching and more big men. It's the only way it will get better.

« Reply #172 on: January 22, 2017, 11:28:09 PM »
Coincidentally, HC Masiello from Manhattan had this to say today after loss to Siena

http://www.thescore.com/news/1215101

We're a fraudulent society top to bottom. Our society is fraudulent. Everything about our society is edited. Everything about our society is pre-arranged, So this generation is a fraudulent generation.

What I mean by that is they put their Instagram picture up the way they want. They put their tweet out the way they want. Nothing is interactive or real. So when things don't go the way people want them to - people will struggle with when it's not 70 degrees and sun and the stars aren't exactly aligned and it's not exactly 4 p.m., and they didn't get exactly eight hours of beauty sleep. Young people today struggle with that. Our society struggles with that. For me, I can't speak for other coaches. I see it more than ever when adversity comes in, people struggle.

They're not bad kids. This might be one of my favorite groups I've ever had. They struggle with adversity, and that's a byproduct of our society today. I think we are a reflection of our culture today. Not to get too deep.
Wow. He kind of hit the nail on the head with this newer generation of kids in society

Agree, maher!  I think he certainly nailed it.

« Reply #173 on: January 22, 2017, 11:30:57 PM »
if you need examples just look at what went on with LSU last year and Washington this year.

You can also look at LSU again, this season.

QuanMan

« Reply #174 on: January 23, 2017, 12:37:27 AM »
Made the trip to Newark yesterday, bottom line this team needs a look in the mirror. When they win they share the ball, look for each other on breaks, during sets, etc. The last few games collectively have been unbalanced and down right selfish, completely the opposite way of how they win.

This losing streak is inexcusable. Mullin is right in his quotes calling their character out.  Everyone individually needs to man up. Yesterday was a pathetic team effort.  They have to team rebound, each one of their losses have been greatly imbalanced on the glass. This is the true midpoint in this season, either they turn it around and think as a team the way they did in mid-December or they're going to be in real trouble.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2017, 12:47:49 AM by QuanMan »
Section 3
Section 116

Wods317

« Reply #175 on: January 23, 2017, 07:37:10 AM »
Made the trip to Newark yesterday, bottom line this team needs a look in the mirror. When they win they share the ball, look for each other on breaks, during sets, etc. The last few games collectively have been unbalanced and down right selfish, completely the opposite way of how they win.

This losing streak is inexcusable. Mullin is right in his quotes calling their character out.  Everyone individually needs to man up. Yesterday was a pathetic team effort.  They have to team rebound, each one of their losses have been greatly imbalanced on the glass. This is the true midpoint in this season, either they turn it around and think as a team the way they did in mid-December or they're going to be in real trouble.

+1. Pivoting your foot back and forth and then taking a challenged 3 is not offense. The ball movement in a lot of losses has been atrocious now some of that blame falls to the coaches but players need to be more unselfish.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2017, 07:37:46 AM by Wods317 »

« Reply #176 on: January 23, 2017, 07:40:46 AM »
Coaches have to have a big part in allowing this to fester.

It's their system/style and allow the bad to continue.  They own it just as much as guys on floor doing it. How many shake & bakes has Ahmed done all season ?

I'd rather see a team trying hard w/crisp ball movement, unselfishness and them missing a lot of good shots.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2017, 07:46:31 AM by RedStormNC »

Foad

« Reply #177 on: January 23, 2017, 09:47:42 AM »

Poison

« Reply #178 on: January 23, 2017, 10:18:30 AM »
We just need to get some alternative facts in here and everything will be fine.

« Reply #179 on: January 23, 2017, 10:34:26 AM »
I couldn't see the game today but I don't need to.

I can come here anytime throughout the season including at season's end in March and it will be the same ole shit.

The problems on the court won't go away until the CS and admin makes changes. Better coaching and more big men. It's the only way it will get better.

Hit the nail on the head.  The team has talented guards.  LoVett, Ponds, and Ellison all can play.  Sure, there are wtf moments where you feel like hitting your head on the wall.  But the fact is all 3 of them are young and still learning.  And by all accounts, Simon will be a nice addition next year.

But things are not going to change until (a) you bring in a legitimate ass't coach and (b) you add some lunch pale guys up front.  Do you think Dunlap would sit on the bench quietly while Ahmed put up a contested, 25 foot three?  He'd pull him from the game the next timeout and tell him to sit his ass on the bench until he learned to share the ball.  As posters have said, there's no leadership and accountability which is causing a lot of our problems.  No offense to GSJ, maybe he ends up being a great coach one day.  But he's not the right ass't for this team.  Neither is Mitch, but I don't see CM letting the school force him out.  Plus, please recruit some big guys.  Please for the love of God, recruit somebody who weighs above 200 lbs.  True, Derrick Walker probably doesn't contribute that much for them next year.  But he's big and physical.  Nobody on this current roster is capable of battling down low.  Tariq gives it everything he's got, but the fact remains the kid is 190 lbs.  He's just going to continue to get tossed around by players like Delgado from a sheer size advantage.