Game 21: Seton Hall

• 198 replies

desco80

Re: Game 21: Seton Hall
« Reply #180 on: January 23, 2017, 10:38:56 AM »
Coincidentally, HC Masiello from Manhattan had this to say today after loss to Siena

http://www.thescore.com/news/1215101

We're a fraudulent society top to bottom. Our society is fraudulent. Everything about our society is edited. Everything about our society is pre-arranged, So this generation is a fraudulent generation.

What I mean by that is they put their Instagram picture up the way they want. They put their tweet out the way they want. Nothing is interactive or real. So when things don't go the way people want them to - people will struggle with when it's not 70 degrees and sun and the stars aren't exactly aligned and it's not exactly 4 p.m., and they didn't get exactly eight hours of beauty sleep. Young people today struggle with that. Our society struggles with that. For me, I can't speak for other coaches. I see it more than ever when adversity comes in, people struggle.

They're not bad kids. This might be one of my favorite groups I've ever had. They struggle with adversity, and that's a byproduct of our society today. I think we are a reflection of our culture today. Not to get too deep.
Wow. He kind of hit the nail on the head with this newer generation of kids in society

Agree, maher!  I think he certainly nailed it.

I'm not disagreeing with Maisello, he has a point worth discussing.  But the idea that kids struggle with adversity is, well ...  a byproduct of the definition.     If they didn't struggle, it wouldnt be adversity. 

Everybody struggles to some degree when shit hits the fan.   

But there's no denying that pampered teenage athletes are sheltered from criticism and can live in a bubble where people tell them their shit doesn't stink.

« Reply #181 on: January 23, 2017, 11:14:16 AM »
Every generation thinks they are tougher than the one after them.

nudginator59

• It's better to be a Smart ass then a Dumb shart
« Reply #182 on: January 23, 2017, 11:45:32 AM »
Being humbled and learning to deal with it will make someone a better person and the taste of success so much sweeter.

Except for the scores of some of these games is there really a surprise of what SJU's record in conference play is?

The team has one signature victory, swept DePaul and plays much better at home then away (which makes sense).

Cougar O' Malley

Marillac

« Reply #183 on: January 23, 2017, 12:02:51 PM »

That's because it's true.

redslope

« Reply #184 on: January 23, 2017, 12:31:07 PM »
Coincidentally, HC Masiello from Manhattan had this to say today after loss to Siena

http://www.thescore.com/news/1215101

We're a fraudulent society top to bottom. Our society is fraudulent. Everything about our society is edited. Everything about our society is pre-arranged, So this generation is a fraudulent generation.

What I mean by that is they put their Instagram picture up the way they want. They put their tweet out the way they want. Nothing is interactive or real. So when things don't go the way people want them to - people will struggle with when it's not 70 degrees and sun and the stars aren't exactly aligned and it's not exactly 4 p.m., and they didn't get exactly eight hours of beauty sleep. Young people today struggle with that. Our society struggles with that. For me, I can't speak for other coaches. I see it more than ever when adversity comes in, people struggle.

They're not bad kids. This might be one of my favorite groups I've ever had. They struggle with adversity, and that's a byproduct of our society today. I think we are a reflection of our culture today. Not to get too deep.
Wow. He kind of hit the nail on the head with this newer generation of kids in society

Agree, maher!  I think he certainly nailed it.

I'm not disagreeing with Maisello, he has a point worth discussing.  But the idea that kids struggle with adversity is, well ...  a byproduct of the definition.     If they didn't struggle, it wouldnt be adversity. 

Everybody struggles to some degree when shit hits the fan.   

But there's no denying that pampered teenage athletes are sheltered from criticism and can live in a bubble where people tell them their shit doesn't stink.

I thought Mass was talking about "Alternative Facts" and Trump.

« Reply #185 on: January 23, 2017, 01:30:42 PM »

It's not always true. and it depends on a lot of different factors.

Marillac

« Reply #186 on: January 23, 2017, 01:32:51 PM »

Individually, of course, but generally it is very true.

« Reply #187 on: January 23, 2017, 02:03:40 PM »
What happened to Shamorie? Ponds was slashing and dishing  earlier in the season and now he is just chucking up 3's

Exacylyyyyyyyyyyyyy.

Ponds really isn't doing shit now

« Reply #188 on: January 23, 2017, 03:50:37 PM »
What happened to Shamorie? Ponds was slashing and dishing  earlier in the season and now he is just chucking up 3's

Exacylyyyyyyyyyyyyy.

Don't worry.  He'll be back.  The talent is there.

« Reply #189 on: January 23, 2017, 03:52:24 PM »
Freshman going through freshman stuff with inexperienced and not enough players around him to contribute, especially on the front line.  Every game starts with teams keying on him and Marcus.  Lot to ask for a teenager in the Big East.

« Reply #190 on: January 23, 2017, 03:58:07 PM »
Freshman going through freshman stuff with inexperienced and not enough players around him to contribute, especially on the front line.  Every game starts with teams keying on him and Marcus.  Lot to ask for a teenager in the Big East.

Playing hard is not too much to ask

« Reply #191 on: January 23, 2017, 05:02:25 PM »
Agreed, but I don't think he is not playing "hard".  He has a laid back personally and calm demeanor most of the time.  Nothing wrong with that.

Marillac

« Reply #192 on: January 23, 2017, 05:28:07 PM »

Exacylyyyyyyyyyyyyy.

So odd...you'd think he'd be going for 40 against the defending national Champs, a top ten Creighton team, a top 25 Xavier team, and on the road against a tournament team in Seton Hall. I mean, c''mon, you're 18!

Poison

« Reply #193 on: January 23, 2017, 07:33:42 PM »
To complain about Shamorie Ponds is insane. He has exceeded all expectations by leaps and bounds. Malik Sealy, Felipe Lopez and Ron Artest all had more to work on during their freshman seasons than Shamorie Ponds does now. For Shamorie, once he shores up his defense and gets stronger, he'll be one of the best guards we've ever had.

« Reply #194 on: January 23, 2017, 07:45:04 PM »
To complain about Shamorie Ponds is insane. He has exceeded all expectations by leaps and bounds. Malik Sealy, Felipe Lopez and Ron Artest all had more to work on during their freshman seasons than Shamorie Ponds does now. For Shamorie, once he shores up his defense and gets stronger, he'll be one of the best guards we've ever had.

+100

Wods317

« Reply #195 on: January 23, 2017, 07:55:01 PM »

+100

I don't think anyone is upset about how he has played this season. He has been better then I expected as a freshman but there's no denying that he has lost some of his aggression these past few games. He is not going to the hoop and creating the way he did earlier in the season. Kid is the goods but he's not above being discussed
« Last Edit: January 23, 2017, 07:55:40 PM by Wods317 »

« Reply #196 on: January 23, 2017, 07:56:00 PM »

Individually, of course, but generally it is very true.
totally agree

« Reply #197 on: January 23, 2017, 08:23:36 PM »
I posted this the other day.  It's what we do here on JJ.  "Eat our young".

We got one mean spirited, pissed off fan base around here.  But I love em.  Not surprising really.

Poison

« Reply #198 on: January 24, 2017, 12:02:11 AM »

+100

I don't think anyone is upset about how he has played this season. He has been better then I expected as a freshman but there's no denying that he has lost some of his aggression these past few games. He is not going to the hoop and creating the way he did earlier in the season. Kid is the goods but he's not above being discussed

He has been less aggressive lately, but Ahmed was hogging the ball in the first half, and overall, the team as a whole has stopped the ball movement therefore we aren't getting good looks. LoVett and Ahmed play like they know they need to make sure they score enough points in order for us to win instead of moving the ball more to get better percentage shots.

I think we'd be continuing to grow as a team if the front court was doing its part, but clearly it's not. Ball movement is great provided it doesn't result in a Kassoum Yakwe 15 footer or an Amar Alibegovic anything.