Game 21: Seton Hall

• 198 replies
Re: Game 21: Seton Hall
« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2017, 03:38:10 AM »
Any word on RF for this game. Has he fallen into the abyss ? Saw him in his SJU t'shirt for Nova. I know he was nursing an injury but this kid is turning into Porzingas.

The word unfortunately is stinks
Better athlete then max hooper. (Still not a good one). Not as good of a shooter. Max was a 2 star player. Richard for some reason was a 4 star player. A huge part of the rivals rankings is determined by how big and athletic the athlete is .

1-5 Georgetown is a terrible matchup for us . In two years their PF is still going to be to strong for Richard and their 3 is going to still be to quick.

Creighton  in McDermott the player's senior year had PF who wasn't athletic . Forgot his name, but he was an excellent shooter and could play post defense. He was also bigger then Richard. Still athletic teams gave him trouble.

I think Richard was way over rated out of HS. A 4 star player should be an impact freshman . Especially on our team. He does not look like a big east athlete.

Disagree with this comment. I happened to be reading an old SI article from a few months ago which talked about the success of incoming freshman. I can't remember it word for word. However, it stated that only the players rated in the top 10 have a great success rate as being an "Impact" player their first year. 10 to 20 it drops. 20 to 50 it drops further. 50-100 it's only about 13%. Last time I checked, I think RF landed in that 50-100 category if that.

If RF was rated in the 50-100 category, I am sure that you would expect more than 1.5 ppg, .225 fg and .179 3fg.

paultzman

« Reply #21 on: January 21, 2017, 08:27:13 AM »

« Reply #22 on: January 21, 2017, 09:17:11 AM »
If Muhammed wants to know how coaches deal w/ adversity, he should be directed to Willard ' s blow up after Providence game where among other things he used words like an embarrassment and said players should find their own way home and take Amtrak for all he cared.

Mullin & Mitch need to close hard on all the top kids. Matt better have backups.

Long way to go.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2017, 09:19:56 AM by RedStormNC »

« Reply #23 on: January 21, 2017, 09:51:26 AM »
RF has a lot more to give as he adjusts to the game and grows in confidence. Still expecting a game or two this year from him where he gets a chance, comes out hot and scores 10 on a few 3's.

Ellison starting to make some of yall look silly, got a feeling RF will do the same.

Poison

« Reply #24 on: January 21, 2017, 10:15:17 AM »
RF has a lot more to give as he adjusts to the game and grows in confidence. Still expecting a game or two this year from him where he gets a chance, comes out hot and scores 10 on a few 3's.

Ellison starting to make some of yall look silly, got a feeling RF will do the same.

RF wasted valuable time playing in Europe this summer. He had better not be f'n around in these remedial leagues come May. He has a ton of catching up to and it won't happen if he's playing against slow, weak and unskilled Euros.

His confidence will grow when he takes his preparation more seriously. Now, he has a good sense of just how bad the competition was in Europe. Should he return there and waste another summer, he can stay there as far as I'm concerned.

« Reply #25 on: January 21, 2017, 11:24:25 AM »

Ellison still has moments in which he is oblivious. But, I have to agree his current trajectory is good.
When he lets game come to him, he is actually a good player with upside.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2017, 11:26:27 AM by section3 »

Poison

« Reply #26 on: January 21, 2017, 12:55:15 PM »

Ellison still has moments in which he is oblivious. But, I have to agree his current trajectory is good.

He carelessly passes the ball across the court and throws it directly to an opposing player that he didn't see. If he cut that lazy crap out, he could probably continue running the point for spurts.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2017, 12:55:55 PM by Poison »

« Reply #27 on: January 21, 2017, 01:19:04 PM »

He carelessly passes the ball across the court and throws it directly to an opposing player that he didn't see. If he cut that lazy crap out, he could probably continue running the point for spurts.
That is an example of the oblivious moments I described.

jr49

« Reply #28 on: January 21, 2017, 02:23:11 PM »
Any word on RF for this game. Has he fallen into the abyss ? Saw him in his SJU t'shirt for Nova. I know he was nursing an injury but this kid is turning into Porzingas.

The word unfortunately is stinks
Better athlete then max hooper. (Still not a good one). Not as good of a shooter. Max was a 2 star player. Richard for some reason was a 4 star player. A huge part of the rivals rankings is determined by how big and athletic the athlete is .

1-5 Georgetown is a terrible matchup for us . In two years their PF is still going to be to strong for Richard and their 3 is going to still be to quick.

Creighton  in McDermott the player's senior year had PF who wasn't athletic . Forgot his name, but he was an excellent shooter and could play post defense. He was also bigger then Richard. Still athletic teams gave him trouble.

I think Richard was way over rated out of HS. A 4 star player should be an impact freshman . Especially on our team. He does not look like a big east athlete.

Relax. Not everybody lights it up in their freshman year. He has to adjust to a completely new style of play and adjust to the speed of the game as well. He may never materialize into a Big East player but it's still way too early to make that determination
Very relaxed. What position does he guard?
I would like the staff to coach him into being a 4. He would then be a player who could create match up probles.

jr49

« Reply #29 on: January 21, 2017, 02:36:49 PM »

Ellison has been making me look silly, and thats great. He's  moving up at a better rate then AB .Bash could do it all if the staff could polish him up some.

« Reply #30 on: January 21, 2017, 10:56:07 PM »
Fun fact: Desi Rodriguez bought a Johnny Jungle Dwight Hardy t-shirt earlier in the season. Had to do a double take on invoice but his mailing address was SH Men's Basketball office. Respect it.

@ Seton Hall is tough. They'll rise up for this game especially off 3 game losing streak and off long road trip.

I can see long lay off working two ways for St. John's: well prepared or flat.

All in all this is a very winnable game. Can neutralize Carrington. I'd focus on stopping Desi and attacking Delgado early.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #31 on: January 21, 2017, 11:01:05 PM »
Fun fact: Desi Rodriguez bought a Johnny Jungle Dwight Hardy t-shirt earlier in the season. Had to do a double take on invoice but his mailing address was SH Men's Basketball office. Respect it.

@ Seton Hall is tough. They'll rise up for this game especially off 3 game losing streak and off long road trip.

All in all this is a very winnable game. Can neutralize Carrington. I'd focus on stopping Desi and attacking Delgado early.
Joe3 is going to flip the fuk out if you have a size to fit Desi and not Joe

« Reply #32 on: January 21, 2017, 11:04:04 PM »

We need to get you more material.

« Reply #33 on: January 21, 2017, 11:04:41 PM »
Whatever happened to lil Scheppy?

« Reply #34 on: January 21, 2017, 11:33:13 PM »
Baldi please do not resurrect the ghost

« Reply #35 on: January 21, 2017, 11:36:35 PM »

We need to get you more material.
joe3 will never go out of style. Don't even make me find that original thread tomorrow especially if we lose and we need something to cheer us up :)
« Last Edit: January 21, 2017, 11:36:55 PM by mjmaherjr »

« Reply #36 on: January 22, 2017, 12:51:16 AM »

You'll never find him.

« Reply #37 on: January 22, 2017, 02:12:15 AM »
Baldi please do not resurrect the ghost

He's already on here.  He's long been on here. 

« Reply #38 on: January 22, 2017, 09:11:06 AM »

You'll never find him.

Move to Canada?

paultzman

« Reply #39 on: January 22, 2017, 11:49:00 AM »

Chris McManus –  ‏@ChrisSHUhoops

No surprises in either starting lineup today. LoVett, Ponds, Ellison, Ahmed, Yakwe; Jones, Carrington, Desi, Sanogo, Delgado #shbb #sjubb