Game 21: Seton Hall

• 198 replies
Re: Game 21: Seton Hall
« Reply #140 on: January 22, 2017, 06:42:43 PM »
Why do we always look under prepared.

This is another reason for concernment.  People continue to speak about youth and lack of size (although, both have some merits), but it's being overplayed by a few posters.  There are several fundamental issues with this team that's not gonna be fixed by simply adding Simon, Clark, or any other solid or good player to the mix.

Fundamentals that needed to be learned at the high school level. Recruit smarter players, I don't care if they can dribble through their legs and fall down after taking a 3

Some part of fundamentals should be learned in high school, but you still need to practice 'em daily.  Not to mention, there are many high school players who don't know how to play man defense.  Some don't have a clue, while others may have the ability to do so, but have bad habits by not consistently moving their feet and/or reaching for steals. 

Regardless, they still need to be taught and coached on the collegiate level.  There doesn't seem like there's a plan in place.  You can't consistently play this style of ball they wanna play on offense without legit, NBA-level players.  I've said this same thing many times previously.

It's just a complete shiteshow, defensively.  It doesn't even look like they practice much on defense.  People can say what they want, but this season is gonna be an important one, as far as showing we're moving in the right direction.  If we keep getting our arse handed to us by mediocre conference teams the rest of the way, then next season could be a "pressure cooker" type scenario for Mullin.
I haven't seen either Simon or Clark play. But, I think even with improvement of current roster and addition of these 2, we will be middle of pack at best. In and of itself, not bad results for 3rd year of total rebuild. However, the trajectory is not steep enough - without a recruit with the potential of Brown coming on board.

Next year will be critical especially from a recruiting standpoint. If we don't close big on this class - rebuild will be prolonged.

I believe CM, Matt et al realize this and are on it. High stakes and very little, if any, margin for failure.

Also I think there will be some defections, especially at the guard position.

Some changes will be made on the coaching staff as well

« Reply #141 on: January 22, 2017, 06:45:49 PM »
What happened to Shamorie? Ponds was slashing and dishing  earlier in the season and now he is just chucking up 3's
Shamorie has a been a little off, and although no one is above criticism, the kid has been great. The season is a grind, losing is a grind and BE teams scout and prepare well. This is tough for any player but especially a freshman. There are going to be a few walls hit. Relatively speaking he is navigating them well especially with very little around him and no junior or senior leadership to help.

« Reply #142 on: January 22, 2017, 06:49:28 PM »
SHU gonna pour it on with the recruits looking on. We're making quite the impression on those kids
Let's just hope we beat out Oral Roberts for Walker. Go get em Matt A
Haven't seen him but based on what others have said sounds like a good 4 year piece of puzzle. But for 2017-18, he will probably be a freshman w/marginal contribution. We will need a grad transfer (not even a JUCO) capable of being a contributor.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2017, 07:01:54 PM by section3 »

« Reply #143 on: January 22, 2017, 06:58:52 PM »

This is another reason for concernment.  People continue to speak about youth and lack of size (although, both have some merits), but it's being overplayed by a few posters.  There are several fundamental issues with this team that's not gonna be fixed by simply adding Simon, Clark, or any other solid or good player to the mix.

Fundamentals that needed to be learned at the high school level. Recruit smarter players, I don't care if they can dribble through their legs and fall down after taking a 3

Some part of fundamentals should be learned in high school, but you still need to practice 'em daily.  Not to mention, there are many high school players who don't know how to play man defense.  Some don't have a clue, while others may have the ability to do so, but have bad habits by not consistently moving their feet and/or reaching for steals. 

Regardless, they still need to be taught and coached on the collegiate level.  There doesn't seem like there's a plan in place.  You can't consistently play this style of ball they wanna play on offense without legit, NBA-level players.  I've said this same thing many times previously.

It's just a complete shiteshow, defensively.  It doesn't even look like they practice much on defense.  People can say what they want, but this season is gonna be an important one, as far as showing we're moving in the right direction.  If we keep getting our arse handed to us by mediocre conference teams the rest of the way, then next season could be a "pressure cooker" type scenario for Mullin.
I haven't seen either Simon or Clark play. But, I think even with improvement of current roster and addition of these 2, we will be middle of pack at best. In and of itself, not bad results for 3rd year of total rebuild. However, the trajectory is not steep enough - without a recruit with the potential of Brown coming on board.

Next year will be critical especially from a recruiting standpoint. If we don't close big on this class - rebuild will be prolonged.

I believe CM, Matt et al realize this and are on it. High stakes and very little, if any, margin for failure.

Gut feeling or hearing stuff?

« Reply #144 on: January 22, 2017, 07:03:53 PM »

Gut feeling or hearing stuff?

Both. Old news though

« Reply #145 on: January 22, 2017, 07:27:52 PM »
Ut oh.

« Reply #146 on: January 22, 2017, 07:34:26 PM »
Ut oh.

C'mon, ... Spill the beans please  !!!!!!!

Did any of the Jersey kids give a verbal to Seton Hall, one of our players hurt or gave notice, staff shake up ?

« Last Edit: January 22, 2017, 07:43:11 PM by RedStormNC »

« Reply #147 on: January 22, 2017, 07:44:50 PM »
Ut oh.

Did any of the Jersey kids give a verbal to Seton Hall, one of our players hurt or gave notice, staff shake up ?

It's on twitter.  Local boy not happy

« Reply #148 on: January 22, 2017, 07:46:51 PM »
Ut oh.

It's on twitter.  Local boy not happy
Ponds or Bash ?
« Last Edit: January 22, 2017, 07:47:19 PM by mjmaherjr »

« Reply #149 on: January 22, 2017, 07:48:37 PM »
Ponds. Can notice it in the body language

« Reply #150 on: January 22, 2017, 07:52:27 PM »
I don't see anything brand new directly from him on Twitter....  don't want to read into body language (Yakwe would win the prize for that) but no doubt he wasn't highly engaged today for the full 40.

is someone else putting it out there ?

« Last Edit: January 22, 2017, 07:55:11 PM by RedStormNC »

« Reply #151 on: January 22, 2017, 07:57:42 PM »
I don't see anything brand new directly from him on Twitter....  don't want to read into body language (Yakwe would win the prize for that) but no doubt he wasn't highly engaged today for the full 40.

is someone else putting it out there ?

Basically says he's thinking about a lot of things. "just not happy anymore", feels people turned on him. Maybe someone twitter savvy can figure out how to quote

« Reply #152 on: January 22, 2017, 08:02:30 PM »
St Johns loses, watched Manchester by the Sea and that was depressing, Ponds not happy apparently and now New England winning.

Does a sunday get any worse ?

« Reply #153 on: January 22, 2017, 08:08:39 PM »
St Johns loses, watched Manchester by the Sea and that was depressing, Ponds not happy apparently and now New England winning.

Pitchers and catchers 22 days

« Reply #154 on: January 22, 2017, 08:12:12 PM »
Coincidentally, HC Masiello from Manhattan had this to say today after loss to Siena

http://www.thescore.com/news/1215101

We're a fraudulent society top to bottom. Our society is fraudulent. Everything about our society is edited. Everything about our society is pre-arranged, So this generation is a fraudulent generation.

What I mean by that is they put their Instagram picture up the way they want. They put their tweet out the way they want. Nothing is interactive or real. So when things don't go the way people want them to - people will struggle with when it's not 70 degrees and sun and the stars aren't exactly aligned and it's not exactly 4 p.m., and they didn't get exactly eight hours of beauty sleep. Young people today struggle with that. Our society struggles with that. For me, I can't speak for other coaches. I see it more than ever when adversity comes in, people struggle.

They're not bad kids. This might be one of my favorite groups I've ever had. They struggle with adversity, and that's a byproduct of our society today. I think we are a reflection of our culture today. Not to get too deep.

« Reply #155 on: January 22, 2017, 08:15:41 PM »
Coincidentally, HC Masiello from Manhattan had this to say today after loss to Siena

We're a fraudulent society top to bottom. Our society is fraudulent. Everything about our society is edited. Everything about our society is pre-arranged, So this generation is a fraudulent generation.

What I mean by that is they put their Instagram picture up the way they want. They put their tweet out the way they want. Nothing is interactive or real. So when things don't go the way people want them to - people will struggle with when it's not 70 degrees and sun and the stars aren't exactly aligned and it's not exactly 4 p.m., and they didn't get exactly eight hours of beauty sleep. Young people today struggle with that. Our society struggles with that. For me, I can't speak for other coaches. I see it more than ever when adversity comes in, people struggle.

They're not bad kids. This might be one of my favorite groups I've ever had. They struggle with adversity, and that's a byproduct of our society today. I think we are a reflection of our culture today. Not to get too deep.

Snowflakes

« Reply #156 on: January 22, 2017, 08:18:31 PM »

Wow. He kind of hit the nail on the head with this newer generation of kids in society

« Reply #157 on: January 22, 2017, 08:21:47 PM »

Wow. He kind of hit the nail on the head with this newer generation of kids in society

Zero problem solving skills. Time to grow up

« Reply #158 on: January 22, 2017, 08:38:10 PM »
Masiello's point is on the money, but ironic from a guy who had a fraudulent resume.

But back to Ponds...  Love the fact that he wants to win, and maybe even had thoughts of proving all the doubters wrong that the team would be bottom of conference.

Still can't find this new Twitter post, but seems almost identical when he posted a "Trust the Process ?" line with a pic shrugging his shoulders a week or so ago and then took it down.

Hopefully he'll shake it off and the coaches get his head on right... 
« Last Edit: January 22, 2017, 08:39:19 PM by RedStormNC »

« Reply #159 on: January 22, 2017, 08:47:49 PM »

Yes, it turns into Monday.