Providence Game Thread

• 203 replies
Re: Providence Game Thread
« Reply #80 on: January 25, 2017, 09:27:43 PM »
Gotta love Williams telling Owens to shut up after the block. Also, I've never see a ball get stunk in the rim from a shot taken from that short a  distance lol
« Last Edit: January 25, 2017, 09:28:26 PM by Marco Baldi »

desco80

« Reply #81 on: January 25, 2017, 09:34:54 PM »
I thought on our last full possesion Lovett should've passed to Williams coming off the ball screen.   It was the obvious play and I felt Lovett got too caught up in hero-ball and tried to force things.

Luckily it didn't matter 

« Reply #82 on: January 25, 2017, 09:36:14 PM »
Question for refs.

When we got the jump ball after the ball got stuck between rim and board, the shot-clock was at 12, and was reset to a full 30.

In last minute, when Owens made great block to force jump, there was 2 seconds left on the shot-clock and it was not reset.

Not complaining of course. Maybe under a minute it doesnt reset.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

« Reply #84 on: January 25, 2017, 09:38:10 PM »
I thought Owens got jobbed on a few blocks tonight that seemed clean with little contact.

Gotta love Williams telling Owens to shut up after the block. Also, I've never see a ball get stunk in the rim from a shot taken from that short a  distance lol

goredmen

« Reply #85 on: January 25, 2017, 10:17:51 PM »
Question for refs.

When we got the jump ball after the ball got stuck between rim and board, the shot-clock was at 12, and was reset to a full 30.

In last minute, when Owens made great block to force jump, there was 2 seconds left on the shot-clock and it was not reset.

It reset for us because the shot hit the rim. The shot never hit the rim for them so it's not supposed to reset. That rule is the same regardless of the time

MCNPA

« Reply #86 on: January 25, 2017, 10:20:22 PM »
Played improved if not great defense.  Rebounding was absolutely better.   Our offense was like we ran it earlier in the season.  Showed guts and won a road game against a more experienced team in a tough environment.  Baby steps...

redslope

« Reply #87 on: January 25, 2017, 10:54:39 PM »
great game even though both teams forgot to play defense.  It was fun/exciting and TV got a good one with nearly 180 points.  Lovett was in another world and good to see Ponds bounce back--he is Mr. Cool at the FT line.  Now comes the Ponds watch over the rest of season in quest to catch DeLo as all time Frosh scoring leader--needs 171 to tie over 10 games (9 regular season and 1 in BET).

Poison

« Reply #88 on: January 25, 2017, 10:58:55 PM »
I thought on our last full possesion Lovett should've passed to Williams coming off the ball screen.   It was the obvious play and I felt Lovett got too caught up in hero-ball and tried to force things.

Luckily it didn't matter 

Even though we all want to see more ball movement, if LoVett wasn't doing his Marcus Hatten impression tonight, we lose. And to his credit, there have been countless times, where LoVett has set up his teammates and they either weren't able to catch the pass or finish what should have been a layup. I can't blame him for having tunnel vision. The front court needs to tow the line.

goredmen

« Reply #89 on: January 25, 2017, 11:02:05 PM »
Efficiency wise this was the 7th worst defensive performance we've had this season, the previous 6 were losses. It was the 5th best game we've played offensively

« Reply #90 on: January 25, 2017, 11:28:15 PM »
Question for refs.

Difference being Williams shot hit the rim. Think about tit.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #91 on: January 25, 2017, 11:33:20 PM »
Man Providence shot 62% and lost.

Lovett catching fire bailed the team out in a big way. I like that both Ellison and Bash are becoming more consistent scorers. Also Williams is our only defender who doesn't leave his feet. Length baby!!
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

MCNPA

« Reply #92 on: January 25, 2017, 11:34:30 PM »
Efficiency wise this was the 7th worst defensive performance we've had this season, the previous 6 were losses. It was the 5th best game we've played offensively

Providence was very solid offensively.  They shot 62%.  Agree that statistically it wasn't great, but visually, it was generally better.  We did a better job trying to guard paint.  We definitely rebounded better.  It will continue to be a struggle until we mature, as well as add guys who know intrinsically how to hawk their defender.  Positives are still that we have two of the most dynamic guards in the country.  If those guards had real good forwards, besides a solid Ahmed, we'd be in business. 

MCNPA

« Reply #93 on: January 25, 2017, 11:36:33 PM »
Man Providence shot 62% and lost.

Lovett catching fire bailed the team out in a big way. I like that both Ellison and Bash are becoming more consistent scorers. Also Williams is our only defender who doesn't leave his feet. Length baby!!

Biggest takeaway, stop leaving your feet!  We do that too much.  Only Owens and Yakwe at times should be doing it, but a ball dropped deep in post?  Guys have to calm it down..

goredmen

« Reply #94 on: January 25, 2017, 11:38:25 PM »
How about us shooting 17-19 from the FT line... That's huge in winning games like these

The BET game in 2014 that we lost to them by 5 we shot 13-26
« Last Edit: January 25, 2017, 11:39:04 PM by goredmen »

« Reply #95 on: January 26, 2017, 12:05:51 AM »
One thing I noticed about RF...

Hes never ready to shoot when he catches a pass on the 3pt line.  He has to be more effiicient with his motions. Same can be said about Ellisons shooting motion. I want Mullin and the Rock to fix it.

Agree that Tariq had some clean blocks called for fouls.

Did the refs get nudged regarding the betting line during halftime?  Uneven calls for the 1st five minutes of the 2d half.

Liked the Friars throwback unis.  But sort of looks like Michigans.

Would have liked to see a Shamorie throwdown. Wiould have been a season top 5!

Darrien saved Tariq from getting a taunting T.

Great to see another road win.

Maybe we can win 7 BE games this year!
« Last Edit: January 26, 2017, 12:10:38 AM by Towerofshred »

« Reply #96 on: January 26, 2017, 12:17:16 AM »

Poison

« Reply #97 on: January 26, 2017, 12:18:17 AM »
Ahmed thought Mullin told him to foul with a one point lead. That foul was his 5th foul.
Anyone else concerned that Mullin's communication skills need significant improvement?

Thankfully, this is a non story, but imagine if we had lost this game?

goredmen

« Reply #98 on: January 26, 2017, 12:23:09 AM »
Ahmed thought Mullin told him to foul with a one point lead. That foul was his 5th foul.
Anyone else concerned that Mullin's communication skills need significant improvement?

Could just be a fluke thing. Like that Ahmed is listening to Mullin but obviously Mullin wasn't telling him to foul and Ahmed should know score and situation at that point, digest what he thought he was hearing, realize it didn't make sense and play

Poison

« Reply #99 on: January 26, 2017, 12:48:51 AM »

Could just be a fluke thing. Like that Ahmed is listening to Mullin but obviously Mullin wasn't telling him to foul and Ahmed should know score and situation at that point, digest what he thought he was hearing, realize it didn't make sense and play

It might have been a fluke. Mullin isn't a talker. I think he needs to recognize that, and practice becoming one. But on the plus side, at least he's not just standing around during time outs anymore.