Providence Game Thread

• 203 replies
Re: Providence Game Thread
« Reply #180 on: January 28, 2017, 12:00:36 AM »
Link didn't work

« Reply #181 on: January 28, 2017, 12:45:50 AM »
- I find it gratifying to win games at the free throw stripe. LP have been amazing from there (pretty much amazing from everywhere on the court offensively) all year and even Bash who's struggled previously gets into the act at 3 for 3.  90% as a team.

- Tremendous use of all his timeouts in the second half with oodles of time left to successfully tourniquet the bleeding.  Ata boy coach!

- Our defense s*cks.  86 points is ridiculous. We gotta do something.

- 2 BE road wins at the mid-point.  Not too shabby.

- Live by the three.....Live by the three!  48% on the day.  You sure this is a St. John's team?

- My favorite sequence was right before half-time when Lovett fouls Pc on purpose putting them on the line just so he could get the ball back again for the last second shot.  Ponds held up his hands asking for the ball but there was no way Marcus was giving it up then he nails the acrobatic falling down 30 ft. last second chuck for three.  Onions!!!

It is very strange to see a St.John's team that can shoot, but doesn't bother to play defense.

Right?  I am not at all comfortable with this new action packed, exciting style of play.

I wish we would go back to a slow, walk it up, nobody gets to 60 pts. Carnesseca like boring style of play.

You mean back when we routinely made the NCAA tournament?

I guess so.

MCNPA

« Reply #182 on: January 28, 2017, 10:20:08 AM »
Interestingly enough, a few posters on the Providence board said that in the tunnel after the game, Cooley and Mullin got into a shouting match.  Anybody else hear this?

paultzman

« Reply #183 on: January 28, 2017, 10:25:29 AM »
Interestingly enough, a few posters on the Providence board said that in the tunnel after the game, Cooley and Mullin got into a shouting match.  Anybody else hear this?
PRovidence Journal confirmed they had words, F bombs primarily. Lol

« Reply #184 on: January 28, 2017, 10:38:28 AM »

Players had to hold both coaches back

« Reply #185 on: January 28, 2017, 10:43:37 AM »
"Fock you bitch"

"No, Fock you bitch"

MCNPA

« Reply #186 on: January 28, 2017, 10:43:55 AM »

I love it...

Foad

« Reply #187 on: January 28, 2017, 10:46:19 AM »
So pace of play has nothing to do with a team's style? Weird, how fast a team plays is usually the  first thing discussed when somebody asks what a particular team's style of play is

Obviously pace has something to do with style. But pace is not a system, it's the by product of a system. And anyway nobody says Kentucky plays fast, they say Calipari runs a dribble drive motion offense. Nobody says Pete Carill played slow, they say he ran the Princeton Offense. Nobody said Dean Smith played slow, they said he ran the four corners. The only time anyone mentions speed is when speed is in fact the system, like Westhead's offense.

Foad

« Reply #188 on: January 28, 2017, 10:47:12 AM »
Our guys don't get back on defense. If they couldn't shoot, they wouldn't be hitting threes and we'd know why. So, why don't they get back on d?

Because they're freshmen.

Poison

« Reply #189 on: January 28, 2017, 10:49:20 AM »

If Cooley were to step to Mullin, I would expect that in a split second the rest of his hair would turn white.

Foad

« Reply #190 on: January 28, 2017, 10:50:37 AM »
Coaches often make adjustments based on their personnel.

And what do they make adjustment to? Oh that's right, to their systems.

And after one inning of play the score is Foad one, ducks in a barrel nothing.

Poison

« Reply #191 on: January 28, 2017, 10:54:55 AM »
Our guys don't get back on defense. If they couldn't shoot, they wouldn't be hitting threes and we'd know why. So, why don't they get back on d?

This is a team wide problem. The good news is that it's something the players can correct. Maybe Mullin and the staff need to emphasize it more? Maybe the players need focus better than they are. It's probably a little of both.

MCNPA

« Reply #192 on: January 28, 2017, 12:00:24 PM »

This is a team wide problem. The good news is that it's something the players can correct. Maybe Mullin and the staff need to emphasize it more? Maybe the players need focus better than they are. It's probably a little of both.

It's definitely both but mostly that they're freshmen.  High school teams play no defense and kids don't learn the fundamentals there.  We're the second youngest team in the country.  They're just starting to realize that defense and rebounding matters at all.   We are starting to rebound a little bit.  Most teams have plenty of juniors and seniors who have learned to do these things at the college level.  The kids make a difference as well.  Each one is different.  Some come out of high school as good defenders.  I'm sure the coaches are working on it a ton, but probably getting that refined as well.

« Reply #193 on: January 28, 2017, 12:26:30 PM »

anyone have any idea how our defense ranked last year ? Not sure where to find it but for some reason I thought it sucked last year too. Personally I have less of a problem with the offense as I do with the defense and if it's freshman on defense it's freshman on offense and I think our offense is way ahead of our defense

QuanMan

« Reply #194 on: January 28, 2017, 12:45:03 PM »

I love it...

Real rivalries exist in the Big East!!!
Section 3
Section 116

« Reply #195 on: January 28, 2017, 12:46:35 PM »
anyone have any idea how our defense ranked last year ? Not sure where to find it but for some reason I thought it sucked last year too. Personally I have less of a problem with the offense as I do with the defense and if it's freshman on defense it's freshman on offense and I think our offense is way ahead of our defense

Last season we were the 292 in scoring defense (77.3 ppg).

http://web1.ncaa.org/stats/StatsSrv/rankings?doWhat=archive&rpt=archive&sportCode=MBB

« Reply #196 on: January 28, 2017, 12:49:18 PM »

Last season we were the 292 in scoring defense (77.3 ppg).

http://web1.ncaa.org/stats/StatsSrv/rankings?doWhat=archive&rpt=archive&sportCode=MBB
Thx for finding it

« Reply #197 on: January 28, 2017, 02:14:14 PM »

If Cooley were to step to Mullin, I would expect that in a split second the rest of his hair would turn white.

Cooley really hates losing to us. Imagine if we ever beat them when it mattered. He might die on the spot.

« Reply #198 on: January 28, 2017, 03:00:17 PM »
I know his staff and and Lav's staff didn't get along, probably because of the recruiting battles over Kar, Sanchez and Obekpa.  Maybe similar things happened with Ponds. 

MCNPA

« Reply #199 on: January 28, 2017, 04:42:49 PM »
I frankly love when there's some bad blood.  Makes it more fun.