Xavier Pregame and Predictions

• 120 replies

TONYD3

Re: Xavier Pregame and Predictions
« Reply #80 on: January 29, 2017, 09:16:54 PM »
We don't consistently compete on the defensive end.  We made a run, but kept giving up buckets on the other end.  Eventually, we lost momentum, and that was the ballgame. 

Spot on
That's every game

« Reply #81 on: January 29, 2017, 09:32:46 PM »
with simon and clark + big, we need to play more like we did last 12 miin or so. Pressure from start to finish
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

« Reply #82 on: January 29, 2017, 10:00:55 PM »
While Freud was a ghost in his few minutes, I was pleased to see him get the nod over Alibegovic.

« Reply #83 on: January 29, 2017, 10:02:36 PM »
Even with suspect defense, if we don't get destroyed on the boards and shoot a better percentage for three we probably win the game.  We were better on the boards against Providence and shot the 3 ball better.  Improve on those areas and I think we have a chance to knock off Marquette this week, because aside from Fisher they don't have anyone in the paint that can do damage.

« Reply #84 on: January 29, 2017, 10:04:00 PM »
I sat fairly close to the action and thought one of the whistles on him was bogus.  But he does himself no favors on that front, as a few of the fouls were the result of poor decisions by him.

Yakwe still on team?
Went out with 4 fouls would have probably killed us if brought back or fouled right out.

Dan

« Reply #85 on: January 29, 2017, 10:21:45 PM »
Xavier didn't look good and hasn't looked good (lost their last game) and we still lost.  Year 2, no moral victories.  another loss
« Last Edit: January 29, 2017, 10:21:59 PM by Dan »

« Reply #86 on: January 29, 2017, 11:31:02 PM »
A real crap first half and start of the second half. They put it together, made a run and looked good doing it. If this team ever plays 40 cohesive minutes together they could be a problem.

I love Owens/Williams playing together, it won at Providence on Wednesday and they made the run together tonight.

« Reply #87 on: January 29, 2017, 11:44:30 PM »
Xavier didn't look good and hasn't looked good (lost their last game) and we still lost.  Year 2, no moral victories.  another loss

Think if St. John's matches up with them in tourney then 3rd time will be the charm.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

paultzman

« Reply #88 on: January 30, 2017, 07:48:45 AM »
Absence of stopping ball, getting back on defense & finding right open three point shooters just continue to be areas for improvement. Xavier has been struggling offensively in recent games & we made it easy on them IMO. Rebounding differential is predictable, due to our lack of strength inside, but other areas noted relate to discipline and will.

Tha Kid

« Reply #89 on: January 30, 2017, 08:56:06 AM »
I kinda like Ellison in general but towards the end too many times he took the ball up and shot or drove himself when ponds or others were open.  He needs to find the scorers at end of game, especially considering he's a terrible FT shooter.
"I drink and I know things"

« Reply #90 on: January 30, 2017, 09:10:42 AM »
Some observations at the game - During our run in the second half Marcus and Tariq were clearly the leaders on the court .  Both extremely emotional and vocal.  Garden about half full but crowd was great.  Officiating was awful and has been for most of the year.  Mullin very engaged and all over the refs a an appropriate way (seems to have matured as a coach in the last few games). 

Place was packed w recruits.  Matt A making his rounds pre game with lots of attention to Kofi Cockburn (CTK) and Walker.  I sat right near Kofi Cockburn who was there with his Dad (I think) and appears to be a well balanced nice kid.  Lots of SJU faithful playfully and appropriately telling Cockburn to stay home.

« Reply #91 on: January 30, 2017, 09:28:44 AM »

Foad

« Reply #92 on: January 30, 2017, 09:53:06 AM »

tnice

« Reply #93 on: January 30, 2017, 09:54:10 AM »
I kinda like Ellison in general but towards the end too many times he took the ball up and shot or drove himself when ponds or others were open.  He needs to find the scorers at end of game, especially considering he's a terrible FT shooter.
+1

So many times he got into the lane and had somebody wide open on the wing for a kick out and didnt see him. Kid has a pro body and a ton of upside but God he makes soooo many bad decisions.

TONYD3

« Reply #94 on: January 30, 2017, 10:29:59 AM »
While Freud was a ghost in his few minutes, I was pleased to see him get the nod over Alibegovic.
Why play either of them? Their will be blowouts.

goredmen

« Reply #95 on: January 30, 2017, 10:51:02 AM »
Really.  WHo is going?

Rich

Get Rice & a few of those studs he coaches. :)

That's the word on the street

Wow. Pretty big if true. I think that would be really solid

« Reply #96 on: January 30, 2017, 11:02:30 AM »
+1

So many times he got into the lane and had somebody wide open on the wing for a kick out and didnt see him. Kid has a pro body and a ton of upside but God he makes soooo many bad decisions.

Defensively a good defender, but offensively has it in his head that he is the man. 
Time and time again in close games instead of passing tries to get it done himself leading
to a missed shot or turnover from driving the lane.  Costs the team open shots on offense and
needs a serious sit down explaining his roll on the team.

cjfish

« Reply #97 on: January 30, 2017, 11:03:51 AM »
+1

Agree......Ellison has made great strides but he must improve his court vision and decisionmaking.  When he missed ponds on the wing while going down the middle I cringed.  I would like to see clearouts for Polo, with their quickness they can go to the hoop at will and look to weakside screens for possibilities.   

derk

« Reply #98 on: January 30, 2017, 11:21:16 AM »
IMHO best defense we have played all year.  We are on shit end of the fouls and our offense isn't clicking, but by far best defense we hVe played.  Rebounding well too.  Xavier just executes well.

Did you not see at least 6 coast to coast untouched blowbys ? No excuse for that. Happens every game.

derk

« Reply #99 on: January 30, 2017, 11:26:30 AM »
with simon and clark + big, we need to play more like we did last 12 miin or so. Pressure from start to finish

What a difference from when we play with intensity to when we stand around the circle meekly passing the ball. Why can't we harness that intensity from  jump.