Marquette Game Thread

• 133 replies

derk

Re: Marquette Game Thread
« Reply #120 on: February 02, 2017, 10:09:41 AM »
Marcus and Shamorie are going to abuse *Rowsey and Howard. Containing Fischer is my biggest concern. Not worried about Johnson/Cheatham with Malik and Bash assigned to them, that'll balance out. We win easy.

Marquette 80
Johnnies 91

Pretty  close

derk

« Reply #121 on: February 02, 2017, 10:14:49 AM »
Not a big fan of Ahmed.  Always out of control and never plays smart situational basketball. 

Yes but he is feeling more comfortable with his 3's and we need that.

Johnny23

« Reply #122 on: February 02, 2017, 10:32:31 AM »
 Ahmed inflicts pain to the opposing team whether through his scoring or with his knees to someone's face. As long as he keeps that "spazz" part of his game to a minimum then he is effective.

QuanMan

« Reply #123 on: February 02, 2017, 10:47:17 AM »
Marcus and Shamorie are going to abuse *Rowsey and Howard. Containing Fischer is my biggest concern. Not worried about Johnson/Cheatham with Malik and Bash assigned to them, that'll balance out. We win easy.

Marquette 80
Johnnies 91

Pretty  close

Thanks Derk! If they hadn't gone through growing pains in the OOC we'd be a lock for the NIT right now, but those hurdles were necessary to get to this point. Besides @Nova Saturday (which could be a sold out Wells Fargo), everyone of the remaining BE games are winnable. I expect them to compete like heck during this last 1/3 of the season and be flirting with the NIT through February and March. 

Dare I say we're playing our best basketball at exactly the right time.
Section 3
Section 116

nudginator59

• It's better to be a Smart ass then a Dumb shart
« Reply #124 on: February 02, 2017, 11:12:44 AM »
At this point wins means more than who they play or beat. If the team finishes one game over 500. Do they get into the NIT?

The second half of this season, they beat the teams they should of, stole a couple of wins.
Cougar O' Malley

goredmen

« Reply #125 on: February 02, 2017, 11:47:05 AM »
If we play like this we can win the Big East tournament

Peaks and valleys fella...try to avoid them. Unreasonable expectations like this lead to transfer and coaching rumor posts out of you!  8-10 and a Big East tournament win would be an incredible achievement to set the stage for the future.

Besides Nova, who can't we beat at MSG if the same effort is given? With all the injuries, no one else scares me. I think Marquette is the top 2-3 teams right now in BE and we just manhandled them

Thats not really the point. Yes, we can beat any team in the BE other than Nova but we'd have to put together 3 really good games in a row or 4 if we fall to 7th which is likely. We haven't really done that all year

redslope

« Reply #126 on: February 02, 2017, 11:54:31 AM »
At this point wins means more than who they play or beat. If the team finishes one game over 500. Do they get into the NIT?

The second half of this season, they beat the teams they should of, stole a couple of wins.
No to NIT--NCAA now owns it and automatic bids go to teams that win their league for regular season but lose their league tournament and automatic NCAA bid--happens often in midmajors.  In majors reg season winner always gets NCAA invite even if they lose conference tournament; eg', Nova last year.  most NIT teams will have at least 19/20 wins.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2017, 11:55:19 AM by redslope »

redslope

« Reply #127 on: February 02, 2017, 11:56:00 AM »

Marquette 80
Johnnies 91

Pretty  close

Thanks Derk! If they hadn't gone through growing pains in the OOC we'd be a lock for the NIT right now, but those hurdles were necessary to get to this point. Besides @Nova Saturday (which could be a sold out Wells Fargo), everyone of the remaining BE games are winnable. I expect them to compete like heck during this last 1/3 of the season and be flirting with the NIT through February and March. 

Dare I say we're playing our best basketball at exactly the right time.

Undefeated in February. ;).

« Reply #128 on: February 02, 2017, 12:03:05 PM »

Peaks and valleys fella...try to avoid them. Unreasonable expectations like this lead to transfer and coaching rumor posts out of you!  8-10 and a Big East tournament win would be an incredible achievement to set the stage for the future.

Wisdom

Bunch of Debbie Downers. Don't ruin my parade. With fans like you guys, who needs pot stirrers

Foad

« Reply #129 on: February 02, 2017, 12:17:42 PM »

« Reply #130 on: February 02, 2017, 01:12:54 PM »
Marquette recap: http://www.bigeastboards.com/
Nice job save for getting the score wrong both times you mentioned it shortchanging the johnnies from a 14 point win to a 6 point win. Must have been feeding the hangover as you wrote it.  :)

« Reply #131 on: February 02, 2017, 01:40:38 PM »
After Nova, I think we match up terribly with Gtown and The Hall. We have no answer for their size and there is little you can do to scheme around that.

Besides Nova, who can't we beat at MSG if the same effort is given? With all the injuries, no one else scares me. I think Marquette is the top 2-3 teams right now in BE and we just manhandled them

The problem with G'town is that we tried to play a half court game against them.  Their size advantage made it difficult for us.  I don't think their bigs are very skilled or mobile.  If we play a fast paced game on offense, create turnovers with pressure D, we can beat them.  Of course, we also have to hit our 3's.

Marillac

« Reply #132 on: February 02, 2017, 03:13:15 PM »

We just ended an eight game losing streak at MSG. Let's not forget that.  Marquette was a favorable matchup for us with their lack of beef and quickness. We don't have a prayer against Nova (nor should we at this point) and Gtown is a dreadful matchup for us. If we knocked off Gtown after what they did to us last game, man, I'd be seriously impressed and very hopeful for the future.

If we could somehow go 8-10 and win a tournament game without Sima and with Clark and Simon redshirting, that would be a terrific season and one that should  put Mullin in consideration for Coach of the Year.

2-1 at home and one road win would get us there.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2017, 03:20:23 PM by Marillac »

« Reply #133 on: February 02, 2017, 08:28:54 PM »

We just ended an eight game losing streak at MSG. Let's not forget that.  Marquette was a favorable matchup for us with their lack of beef and quickness. We don't have a prayer against Nova (nor should we at this point) and Gtown is a dreadful matchup for us. If we knocked off Gtown after what they did to us last game, man, I'd be seriously impressed and very hopeful for the future.

If we could somehow go 8-10 and win a tournament game without Sima and with Clark and Simon redshirting, that would be a terrific season and one that should  put Mullin in consideration for Coach of the Year.

2-1 at home and one road win would get us there.
[/quote]
Are you counting Knick games in that 8 game losing streak?