Former OSL coach Oswald Cross resurfaces with NY Panthers

• 8 replies

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
Former OSL coach Oswald Cross resurfaces with NY Panthers
« on: July 22, 2008, 04:38:14 PM »
A Bronx product from the Gun Hill section of the borough, Cross attended OSL from 1994-96 and played for coach Victor Hall, averaging 19 points and 15 rebounds a game as a 6-4 forward forced to play center. He once scored 30 points against Long Island Lutheran star and future North Carolina center Vasco Evtimov.

"He was great, but I never thought he would get into coaching," said Hall, who called Cross his first superstar. "The little chess game, he always studied that . . . He says he was always watching me to learn, but I never knew that."

Coaching turned out to be a perfect fit, Hall said, given Cross' "laid-back style" and knowledge of "the game within the game."

Always quick with a smile - even after a loss - Cross has earned the trust of high school players who are attracted by his affable demeanor. He's still coaching a few who had suited up for him at OSL: Will Harrison and Allan Forbes played for K.Y.D.A last week, and Brian Wilson and Winston Graham are both with the Panthers.

From Burrell to former St. Ray's standouts Kevin Parrom and Omari Lawrence, players feel a sense of loyalty to Cross - and it's a connection that could benefit St. John's, which has struggled to attract top local talent since Roberts took over the Red Storm in 2004.

Re: Former OSL coach Oswald Cross resurfaces with NY Panthers
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2008, 04:59:36 PM »
cross would be norm's biggest signing to date.

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2008, 09:40:59 PM »
On the tail end of his latest losing season, his biggest signing thus far has been that extension offered by Monasch and his fellow St. John's intelligentsia.

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2008, 01:04:38 AM »
On the tail end of his latest losing season, his biggest signing thus far has been that extension offered by Monasch and his fellow St. John's intelligentsia.

you got me there.  lol

« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2008, 01:44:52 PM »
It appears this is the angle we're using for the Cross hire

http://www.sportsline.com/collegebasketball/story/10908967
« Last Edit: July 29, 2008, 01:45:02 PM by jumpinjohnny »
When you're a kid from New York and you do it in New York, that lasts forever!

« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2008, 03:15:32 PM »

Sounds like a smart move by Norm.  I'm sure having Oz in a hotel room with Kevin Parrom and Omari Lawrence all summer  Is something any anti Johnny fan would have a gripe about.  Lets go Johnny's
The phrase perfect storm refers to the a simultaneous occurrence of events which, taken individually, would be far less powerful than the result of their chance combination. Such occurrences are, by their very nature, rare, and so even a slight change in any one event contributing to a ‘perfect storm’ would be sufficient to lessen the overall power of the final event.

« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2008, 04:36:38 PM »
What level is open on the StJ staff ?

If hired, would Cross be on Bench ?

At all practices ?

I thought it was a semi administrative position.
Molloy '71

« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2008, 06:50:52 PM »

http://www.sportsline.com/collegebasketball/story/10911734/2

But hardcore cheating like cash delivered in a shoebox is almost unnecessary these days given all the "legal" ways to get money into the right hands. You hire an AAU coach to work camps or to be a video coordinator, or you subscribe to his ridiculous scouting service and easily put thousands of dollars into his pocket.