• 178 replies

derk

Re: Game 27: @ Butler
« Reply #20 on: February 14, 2017, 10:15:47 PM »
Menko 85
Menko 83

« Reply #21 on: February 15, 2017, 11:01:22 AM »
Butler hasn't won a game by 10 points in a couple of months, yet they are 11 point favorites.  No faith in the Johnnies yet.

redslope

« Reply #22 on: February 15, 2017, 11:37:50 AM »
Jets 82
colts76 (no Peyton)

« Reply #23 on: February 15, 2017, 11:50:59 AM »
St. John's hasn't been good after long layoffs. Hoping to break the trend. This is a HUGE game.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

goredmen

« Reply #24 on: February 15, 2017, 11:56:30 AM »
St. John's hasn't been good after long layoffs. Hoping to break the trend. This is a HUGE game.

Also haven't played two good games in a row since the 2016 part of the 2016-17 season.

Not sure how this could be considered a HUGE game since we aren't really playing for anything in regards to the postseason. I'm not saying it wouldn't be awesome to get a win tonight but failing to see how it's a HUGE game

« Reply #25 on: February 15, 2017, 12:35:20 PM »
Huge  in that it is on the road to a 9-9 conference record

wpc77

« Reply #26 on: February 15, 2017, 01:35:19 PM »
Have to think the conference wants Butler to win tonight to help ensure that they get into the tournament.  They play DePaul & the Hall at home after this, and at Nova and Xavier.  If they lose to SJU and assuming they lose to Nova and Xavier, that leaves them at 21-9 and 10-8 in Big East play.  Lose in the first round of the Big East tournament and they might not make it to the NCAAs. The prospect of only have 3 teams in the NCAA tournament (hell, maybe even just 2 as Xavier is not a sure thing either) is looming.  Won't get any favors from the refs tonight!

« Reply #27 on: February 15, 2017, 01:36:54 PM »
What long layoff, we played Saturday or did I imagine going to the game? The long layoff is after tonight when we don't play until next Tuesday.

goredmen

« Reply #28 on: February 15, 2017, 01:48:17 PM »
Have to think the conference wants Butler to win tonight to help ensure that they get into the tournament.  They play DePaul & the Hall at home after this, and at Nova and Xavier.  If they lose to SJU and assuming they lose to Nova and Xavier, that leaves them at 21-9 and 10-8 in Big East play.  Lose in the first round of the Big East tournament and they might not make it to the NCAAs. The prospect of only have 3 teams in the NCAA tournament (hell, maybe even just 2 as Xavier is not a sure thing either) is looming.  Won't get any favors from the refs tonight!

uhhh what? Butler is getting in the tournament no matter what. There is 0% chance they don't make it

« Reply #29 on: February 15, 2017, 01:51:24 PM »
This is a HUGE game.

That's what the President said.

QuanMan

« Reply #30 on: February 15, 2017, 01:58:59 PM »
Huge  in that it is on the road to a 9-9 conference record

Biggest swing game of the season, get me to 830.
Section 3
Section 116

« Reply #31 on: February 15, 2017, 02:03:45 PM »
What long layoff, we played Saturday or did I imagine going to the game? The long layoff is after tonight when we don't play until next Tuesday.

We had a week off before the SHU game.  They played mid-week.  I thought it gave us a big advantage.

MCNPA

« Reply #32 on: February 15, 2017, 02:47:48 PM »

We had a week off before the SHU game.  They played mid-week.  I thought it gave us a big advantage.

Agree.  Gameplan-wise, at this point in the season, it should only help.  We have to come out of gate strong.  Need to check Chrabacz and Kelan.  We held Kelan down a bit last game, but will need to again.  Chrabascz killed us passing out of the post.  Need to not suck in when he passes to shooters.

TONYD3

« Reply #33 on: February 15, 2017, 03:45:17 PM »
I think it's very important to end the season on a high note. I agree it's a huge game . Getting close to .500 record is important. Wining games in big east tournament is more important then any NIT game.

paultzman

« Reply #34 on: February 15, 2017, 04:36:38 PM »
Per Rothstein

St. John's guard Malik Ellison (thumb) will play tonight against Butler, per a source. #SJUBB

Braziller just noted Williams expected to play as well.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2017, 04:43:01 PM by paultzman »

MCNPA

« Reply #35 on: February 15, 2017, 04:56:28 PM »
Per Rothstein

St. John's guard Malik Ellison (thumb) will play tonight against Butler, per a source. #SJUBB

Very good news for our depth tonight.  It's one of our strengths.  Can't expect another from Alibegovic like the last one.

« Reply #36 on: February 15, 2017, 05:08:29 PM »
I think it's very important to end the season on a high note. I agree it's a huge game . Getting close to .500 record is important.

The remainder of our games are huge games, as I think this team could have a chance to receive an NIT berth with a .500 record. 

Wining games in big east tournament is more important then any NIT game.

Huh?  I would think being invited to the NIT (especially, being how we started the season and being a youthful bunch) would be more important than the conference tournament.  Of course, we might be in a position where we'd need to win a game or two in the Big East tournament to receive an NIT berth.

goredmen

« Reply #37 on: February 15, 2017, 05:22:06 PM »
The remainder of our games are huge games, as I think this team could have a chance to receive an NIT berth with a .500 record. 

In the past 10 seasons there has been exactly 0 teams make the NIT with a .500 record. We are not going to break that trend. The NIT is a pipe dream.

TONYD3

« Reply #38 on: February 15, 2017, 05:30:41 PM »

In the past 10 seasons there has been exactly 0 teams make the NIT with a .500 record. We are not going to break that trend. The NIT is a pipe dream.
If we some how got to play Friday night in our city. That would be awesome accomplishment. I would happily watch the NIT. But no one cares, and we most likely won't make it.

« Reply #39 on: February 15, 2017, 05:45:02 PM »
Per Rothstein

Very good news for our depth tonight.  It's one of our strengths.  Can't expect another from Alibegovic like the last one.

I think our promising young coach will give Da Ali B some minutes due to his explosion last outing.