Game 27: @ Butler

• 178 replies
Game 27: @ Butler
« on: February 13, 2017, 04:51:11 PM »
@NYPost_Brazille
Told there's a good chance St. John's will have Malik Ellison (thumb) and Darien Williams (ankle) active Wednesday at Butler. #sjubb

Marillac

Re: Game 27: @ Butler
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2017, 09:25:16 PM »
I don't really see how they win at Hinkle, but that sure  would be a statement if they do.

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2017, 09:27:52 PM »
I don't really see how they win at Hinkle, but that sure  would be a statement if they do.

If Tyler Lewis attempts to guard Lovett man to man.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

goredmen

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2017, 09:47:37 PM »
It's pretty amazing that Butler has been as good as they've been this season with their best player Kelan Martin being average to straight up bad during conference play. He was suspended for the first half of their win at Marquette then scored 8 points on 11 shots in their loss at Providence. Hopefully he has another game like that on Wednesday,

On paper this is a solid matchup for us. It's one of the few backcourts that is actually smaller than ours at both the 1 and 2 positions. They can play a lineup that matches our size and a lineup that somewhat matches our athleticism but not both. That said they are very well coached and don't make nearly as many boneheaded mistakes as we do. Always tough to win at Hinkle and we'll probably be double digit underdogs

Poison

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2017, 10:28:03 PM »
It's pretty amazing that Butler has been as good as they've been this season with their best player Kelan Martin being average to straight up bad during conference play. He was suspended for the first half of their win at Marquette then scored 8 points on 11 shots in their loss at Providence. Hopefully he has another game like that on Wednesday,

On paper this is a solid matchup for us. It's one of the few backcourts that is actually smaller than ours at both the 1 and 2 positions. They can play a lineup that matches our size and a lineup that somewhat matches our athleticism but not both. That said they are very well coached and don't make nearly as many boneheaded mistakes as we do. Always tough to win at Hinkle and we'll probably be double digit underdogs

If we play defense like we did against Seton Hall, we can beat them. No Gordon Heyward on this Butler team.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2017, 12:59:56 AM by Poison »

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2017, 11:03:17 PM »
Tough environment, relatively experienced team, and so well-coached.  Keep the game from getting away from us early and I think we have a shot, especially if we compete on the glass and defend to some degree.  Our guards/wings should give them problems, as Ponds and Ahmed did in the first game.  Would be nice to have Williams back and he was a big spark last time and helped with Wideman.

Chrabacyz (or however you spelled it) is going to pump fake us to death and look for cutters/shooters.  Need to defend him accordingly.  I thought he was much more effective than the stat line indicated last time.

MCNPA

« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2017, 12:02:33 AM »
We are also a bit better than the first go round, and we aren't fazed too much by road-play.  We crushed Cuse and beat Providence on the road.  The matchup isn't awful for us at all.  Our defense has improved as well.  No reason to roll over for Butler.  Need to show em why we beat them the first time.

« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2017, 02:28:57 AM »
Very tough environment. Not expecting a win, but wouldn't be shocked with the way we have been playing.

redslope

« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2017, 11:19:24 AM »
Butler having problems of late having lost 3 of last 4 including 2 at home.  In our first game, Lovett played one of his worst games of the season (thought he might have had an injury); Owens did nothing (unlike how he has played of late; same Yakwe); Rico did not play because of injury.  We seem to be on an upswing and they seem to be having problems (Martin). 

QuanMan

« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2017, 11:50:13 AM »
I experienced the cathedral that is Hinkle last year, the team feeds off a crowd that's very used to winning at home. They're on the verge of their 12th 20 win season in 13 years.

Keep the defensive intensity up, crisp ball movement, limited turnovers, smart shot selection. Keep Charbasz, Martin and Wideman off the glass and be aware of their backdoor cuts.

I've been predicting a NIT run for weeks, I think we beat the Bulldogs again, setting up the biggest game of the season next Tuesday night in Milwaukee.

Johnnies 86
Bulldogs 80

Section 3
Section 116

« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2017, 11:55:31 AM »
Butler is the more fundamentally sound team, but they can't touch LoVett, Ponds, Ahmed, Yakwe, and Owens talent wise. Hopefully we see a heavy dose of that lineup.

« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2017, 12:38:34 PM »
Butler is the more fundamentally sound team, but they can't touch LoVett, Ponds, Ahmed, Yakwe, and Owens talent wise. Hopefully we see a heavy dose of that lineup.
So we have the 5 best players in the game? We should crush them by what 100-50?

« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2017, 12:45:35 PM »
Come on now they have some really, really talented kids on that team.  And despite struggling in Big East play, I'd take Martin over anyone if we were drafting rosters for the rest of this season.  Chrabs is really good.  Wideman is a big body we could desperately use.  Baldwin has been one of the better freshman guards in the league.  Savage can score.  Butler is who they are because they are well coached and because they have some really good players.

« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2017, 01:18:37 PM »
Come on now they have some really, really talented kids on that team.  And despite struggling in Big East play, I'd take Martin over anyone if we were drafting rosters for the rest of this season.  Chrabs is really good.  Wideman is a big body we could desperately use.  Baldwin has been one of the better freshman guards in the league.  Savage can score.  Butler is who they are because they are well coached and because they have some really good players.

Martin over Ponds and LoVett?  Ahmed is more athletic than Martin as well.  The way Martin has been going lately, he might not get much playing time. Butler is a very good team playing at home.  I think we have the talent to pull out a close win though.

TONYD3

« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2017, 01:22:46 PM »
We are a lot more athletic. If we play smart we have a chance. Butler is a current 4 seed. They are much more consistent then we are. But not much better. Lets play some defense !

« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2017, 02:01:43 PM »
This ain't the movies:

Hoosiers                   - 85
French Connection - 75

TONYD3

« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2017, 06:30:21 PM »
This ain't the movies:

French Connection - 75
Butler isn't that good.

TONYD3

« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2017, 07:59:04 PM »
Butler -10.5

« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2017, 10:07:10 PM »
This ain't the movies:

French Connection - 75
Butler isn't that good.

Neither are we.

« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2017, 10:11:53 PM »
@eljefe132 (Tariq's dad)
STJMBB go out of town for a road game. If there is a pro team in the city we practice at the pro facilities. Mullin is the Plug 😂😂