• 24 replies

oldred10

• Ya Gotta Believe!!!
And u thought i was OPTOMISTIC.. lol
« on: July 22, 2008, 04:47:57 PM »
St. John's May Get Perfect Storm

July 21, 2008

by Maurice Wingate, RedStormReport.com Editor

It seems as if all of the sudden St. John's is cool again. They've renovated the University and Madison Square Garden is getting revamped as well.

In addition, they've made some impressive acquisitions in Tyshwan Edmondson, Quincy Roberts and seven footer, Phil Wait.

The Johnnies freshman class is maturing and it's looking more and more as if a few of the top players in New York have expressed more than just a passing interest in coming to St. John's.

Omari Lawrence of South Kent has gone on the record saying that the Red Storm is his first choice. "My number one choice is St. John's," says Lawrence. "I like the campus, the scenery and the coaching staff. Norm (Roberts) is cool." When asked what sealed the deal, Lawrence responded, "I was surprised what they've done to the facilities plus my mom and my brother like the school and if they've got my family, they've got me."

If Lawrence comes to the Johnnies there's also a good chance that he best friend and teammate Kevin Parrom would follow suit. The same rumors swirl regarding NY Panthers Coach Oz Cross, which would augment the Lawrence/Parrom deal possibility.

If all the above came to fuition, it has the potential to form a very unique dynamic, where the existing talent at St. John's fuses with the elite new local talent. This will create a highly competitive team that would immediately become a force to be reckoned with. A perfect Red Storm.

http://stjohns.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=829080

I do agree that IF Lawrence & Parrom sign with SJU & the trio of Edmondson, Roberts and Wait are better than most of the so-called "experts" think. Plus, some or all of our sophmore class take their games to the next level. Then, YES, it could turn into the "perfect storm" in the next few years. But like most fans i also believe that is still a big IF at this point & we'll have to SEE it to believe it..  :o ;) ;D 8) .. However, if the above scenario does take place the future appears extremely bright for SJU basketball... Keep ur fingers crossed folks!

"If u LOVE us that's GREAT... if u HATE us that's GREAT too... if ur in the middle... get the F*CK out!!" - Paul Stanley, KISS

Re: And u thought i was OPTOMISTIC.. lol
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2008, 04:58:41 PM »
impressive acquisitions??? can they suit up first?  no one ever heard of these guys before we signed them.

the team has matured?  i've really matured and i suck at basketball even worse than i did when i was immature.  getting older doesn't mean getting better.

here we go again with being number one with no signatures on paper.  can we get some loi's before we creem in our pants.

there are alot of "if"'s here...like if i rescue a damsel in distress i just happen to run across like selma hayak and she realizes i'm really a great catch...she'll fall head over heels for me...i'll let you imagine the rest.

oldred10

• Ya Gotta Believe!!!
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2008, 08:08:49 PM »
impressive acquisitions??? can they suit up first?  no one ever heard of these guys before we signed them.

the team has matured?  i've really matured and i suck at basketball even worse than i did when i was immature.  getting older doesn't mean getting better.

here we go again with being number one with no signatures on paper.  can we get some loi's before we creem in our pants.

there are alot of "if"'s here...like if i rescue a damsel in distress i just happen to run across like selma hayak and she realizes i'm really a great catch...she'll fall head over heels for me...i'll let you imagine the rest.

FYI - Roberts originally committed to Miami(acc) & was recruited by numerous "major" schools. Edmondson by all accounts was the best player for his kentucky h.s. team down the stretch, a team that included 5 star recruit scotty hopson. He was also being recruited by a few "majors" at the time of his signing. Phil Wait is 7'2 240 lb & is an athletic big that can run the floor. He played a year in Europe & was also being recruited by a host of "majors" after this season. U may not have heard of these kids but people who actually know something about basketball did..  ;D

If u don't think kids like Burrell & Kennedy aren't going to mature & get better u know nothing about college hoops. Which become more & more apparent each time u post.

No one is "creaming in their pants here krusty"... accept of course Maurice.. :D

There are alot of IF's for EVERY team this time of year... that'a why they call them "pre-season predictions". They don't mean jack-sh*t but that doesn't mean u can't be OPTOMISTIC about your team's upcoming season.... Either we are going to surpass everyone's expectations this season & sign a few NYC kids with balls to take us to the next level the following season. Or we fall flat on our face & fail to sign either one of these kids... If we do the latter Norm is history... At this point i'm rooting for the first scenario & anyone who isn't is not really a fan of this program. .. peace!

Edited: Jumpinjohnny...personal attack
« Last Edit: July 23, 2008, 09:55:22 AM by jumpinjohnny »

"If u LOVE us that's GREAT... if u HATE us that's GREAT too... if ur in the middle... get the F*CK out!!" - Paul Stanley, KISS

pmg911

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2008, 08:16:55 PM »
IF's - that sums up Norm Roberts tenture here..

IF Jarvis didn't leave everything a wreck he could have done a better job from the start
IF there were not a looming NCAA sanctions the staff could have gotten better players
IF UConn didn't steal Doug Wiggins away
IF Derwin Kitchen had been ruled eligible
IF Rob Thomas had gotten through the clearing house and not gotten hurt
IF Q, Ricky, Larry, Cedric, Cav etc transfer...
IF 1/2 of the players he signed turned out to be real Big East players
IF he could have signed one, just one, of his primary recruiting targets since he was handed the job of a lifetime he might have the confidence of the fan base
IF the team was not consistently embarrassed at MSG high school players might have a better idea of what an exciting basketball at MSG, with a full house, is truly like when St. John's is involved.

IF  IF  IF   IF IF  IF  IF   IF   ..    lots of IFs..

IF St. John's had given John Calipari the job the above FLUFF piece would never ever have been writen to begin with..

pmg911

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2008, 08:22:14 PM »

FYI - Roberts originally committed to Miami(acc) & was recruited by numerous "major" schools. Edmondson by all accounts was the best player for his kentucky h.s. team down the stretch, a team that included 5 star recruit scotty hopson. He was also being recruited by a few "majors" at the time of his signing. Phil Wait is 7'2 240 lb & is an athletic big that can run the floor. He played a year in Europe & was also being recruited by a host of "majors" after this season. U may not have heard of these kids but people who actually know something about basketball did..  ;D

If u don't think kids like Burrell & Kennedy aren't going to mature & get better u know nothing about college hoops. Which become more & more apparent each time u post.

No one is "creaming in their pants here krusty"... accept of course Maurice.. :D

There are alot of IF's for EVERY team this time of year... that'a why they call them "pre-season predictions". They don't mean jack-sh*t but that doesn't mean u can't be OPTOMISTIC about your team's upcoming season.... Either we are going to surpass everyone's expectations this season & sign a few NYC kids with balls to take us to the next level the following season. Or we fall flat on our face & fail to sign either one of these kids... If we do the latter Norm is history... At this point i'm rooting for the first scenario & anyone who isn't is not really a fan of this program. ... peace!

and you always cry to JJ that you only got after people when they attack you..

You wish you were half the person Krusty/newsman13 is...

« Last Edit: July 23, 2008, 09:56:28 AM by jumpinjohnny »

« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2008, 09:15:39 PM »
WE CAN DEFINITELY MAKE SOME NOISE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2008, 09:21:47 AM »
Most of us dont think your optomistic...

edited: Jumpinjohnny...personal attack
« Last Edit: July 23, 2008, 09:58:57 AM by jumpinjohnny »

« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2008, 10:10:07 AM »
fluff peace indeed...but if a few of these things do happen our fortunes as a program could change very quickly.  It doesn't take all that much for a turnaround in college hoops. We were mediocre until Barkley, Bootsy and Artest showed up and that made us a top program instantly.  There is no reason this group of young men can't make that happen again.
When you're a kid from New York and you do it in New York, that lasts forever!

« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2008, 11:31:56 AM »

Not even close to a personal attack.

« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2008, 11:57:36 AM »

you're right...it should have said useless post instead of personal attack.

« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2008, 12:04:25 PM »

you're right...it should have said useless post instead of personal attack.

Sure thing buddy. Kind of like the one I am responding to right?

« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2008, 12:05:33 PM »
fluff peace indeed...but if a few of these things do happen our fortunes as a program could change very quickly.  It doesn't take all that much for a turnaround in college hoops. We were mediocre until Barkley, Bootsy and Artest showed up and that made us a top program instantly.  There is no reason this group of young men can't make that happen again.
The team that Artest and Jessie arrived on still had talent in Felipe Lopez and Zendon Hamilton, a pair of ex-McDonald's all -Americans who would each get a cup of coffee in the NBA.

Artest and Barkley were all-American hs players. Stephenson is the only NY senior at that level. If he keeps progressing, Lamb will be one too. Lawrence and Parrom would be nice additions and may or may not build momentum, but they are not as talented as our former players, Artest or Barkley.

« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2008, 01:19:33 PM »
St. John's was a mediocre team until Artest and company showed up...  but my point was that one or two classes can turnaround a program.  I was not attempting to compare the players (especially Artest) as I have not seen any of the high school guys play(besides some highlight tapes). 

« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2008, 02:10:34 PM »

JUST OUT OF CURIOSITY... WHERE WERE WE RANKED IN THE PRESEASON THE YEAR WE BROUGHT IN BARKLEY, BOOTSY AND ARTEST?

« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2008, 02:26:41 PM »
We weren't ranked according to this website.

http://www.appollarchive.com/mbasketball/ap/seasons.cfm?appollid=783

But we were as good as anybody in the country by the end of the year.

http://www.appollarchive.com/mbasketball/ap/seasons.cfm?appollid=800

« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2008, 03:26:19 PM »

Artest was a sophomore the year you chose.

pmg911

« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2008, 03:30:22 PM »

Ron Artest was Freshman in the 1997 - 98 season, not the 1998 - 99 season..

Barkley & Thorton both started playing in the 1998 - 99 season

« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2008, 06:59:58 PM »
the question was..."what were we ranked in the preseason the year we brought in Barkley Thornton AND Artest?"  Obviously they didn't arrive together so I took him to mean the 1998-1999 season.

Postell, Gray, Grant were "carryovers"...then add Artest, Jessie in 1997-1998 and then Barkley and Thornton for 1998-1999 and we're as good as anyone in the country.  It can happen quickly.

oldred10

• Ya Gotta Believe!!!
« Reply #18 on: July 25, 2008, 04:31:47 AM »

There are alot of IF's for EVERY team this time of year... that'a why they call them "pre-season predictions". They don't mean jack-sh*t but that doesn't mean u can't be OPTOMISTIC about your team's upcoming season.... Either we are going to surpass everyone's expectations this season & sign a few NYC kids with balls to take us to the next level the following season. Or we fall flat on our face & fail to sign either one of these kids... If we do the latter Norm is history... At this point i'm rooting for the first scenario & anyone who isn't is not really a fan of this program. ... peace!

and you always cry to JJ that you only got after people when they attack you..

You wish you were half the person Krusty/newsman13 is...

The only one "crying/whinning" are u & the various "super-fans"(lol) on here that can't deal with the fact Norm is still our coach & is going to be for a LONG time if things fall into place(on & off the court) this season..  ;D

krusty/newsie is just another disgruntled ex-SJU employee(see htgs/marillac/etc) who knows NOTHING about the game of basketball & continues to bash the school in every one of his posts..  ::)

wah, wah, wah... blah, blah, blah.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2008, 04:59:36 AM by oldred10 »

oldred10

• Ya Gotta Believe!!!
« Reply #19 on: July 25, 2008, 04:52:42 AM »

Bingo!

**Edited** the pic you had up oldred took forever to load on my phone and expanded my screen. The pic said "Bingo"
« Last Edit: July 25, 2008, 07:05:57 AM by JJ »