The Big O and Ernie D

• 13 replies
The Big O and Ernie D
« on: February 16, 2017, 04:39:08 PM »
Recently I've kicked around my out there hypothesis with some posters that our offense is good and our defense is bad.  Yesterday's outing seems to reinforce that contention.

We gave up 110 points.  Nothing else to say.

We scored 86 points on the road in a tough building.  Even though LP suffered an off night shooting percentage wise, they still managed 33 and were extremely effective from the charity stripe.  Tertiary option Bash proved himself yet again to be a viable, consistent double digit scorer.  Plus on this particular night, Fellini turned back the clock a year and chimed in with a very efficient 20.  Proof positive that we are not just a 2 or 3 trick pony on that end of the floor.

I'll patiently await the algorithms and metrics proving that it was just a mirage.

TONYD3

Re: The Big O and Ernie D
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2017, 05:41:42 PM »
Last night was terrible. Doesn't matter that we scored 86 points.  Mussini scoring 18 meaningless points does't matter either. Another game lost in the first 5 minutes. Another 50 point 1sr half. Bad shots contributed to giving up 110 points. The offense is part of the problem.

How is Amar this bad? He is big enough and looks strong enough. Why was he brought back? How come no one has taught him how to box? Post defense can be taught, how is Amar that lost? I am aware that we lose even if amar played well but the same shit keeps happening. Yakwe looked equally lost. Owens just wanted to block shots yesterday. The slow double team doesn't work either. Why do our post players always let opposing players stand wherever they want and catch the ball wherever they want?

Skinny guys can fight. Slow guys can try and play defense. We did not get beat up because: the game was on the road, we are to young, we are to skinny. or Widemna is was to tough.

Mullin was all over the refs again. I hate when he is crying when we are getting em brassed. Why not get on the players? Those guys needed a kick in the ass yesterday. Mullin certainly didn't  do it during the game. I think the game ended and we had 2 timeouts. Teams can learn lessons during games.

Why did we play so fast? especially if we were short handed. MAKES NO SENSE!

This is college not the NBA. We laugh about Hammer to Rock years later, but those guys believed that. Sean Evans walked out of the locker room proudly carrying the stupid hammer.  College kids need to be motivated. No intensity no rebounding,

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2017, 06:36:01 PM »
Ellison confirmed last night what many have posted on this site, he is not a BE player. If he wasn't fouling, he was turning the ball over. His missed shots are turnovers too. His body language is poor, he doesn't appear to respect his teammates. Can't say I've seen him hustle to help a teammate get up off the floor.

Same with Ahmed, all those terrible shots are in essence turnovers. The chucks with 15-20 seconds on the shot clock are not working out.

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2017, 08:59:32 PM »
Ellison confirmed last night what many have posted on this site, he is not a BE player. If he wasn't fouling, he was turning the ball over. His missed shots are turnovers too. His body language is poor, he doesn't appear to respect his teammates. Can't say I've seen him hustle to help a teammate get up off the floor.

Same with Ahmed, all those terrible shots are in essence turnovers. The chucks with 15-20 seconds on the shot clock are not working out.

Those are a lot of conclusions to make in 12 minutes.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2017, 09:06:10 PM »
Recently I've kicked around my out there hypothesis with some posters that our offense is good and our defense is bad.  Yesterday's outing seems to reinforce that contention.

We scored 86 points on the road in a tough building.  Even though LP suffered an off night shooting percentage wise, they still managed 33 and were extremely effective from the charity stripe.  Tertiary option Bash proved himself yet again to be a viable, consistent double digit scorer.  Plus on this particular night, Fellini turned back the clock a year and chimed in with a very efficient 20.  Proof positive that we are not just a 2 or 3 trick pony on that end of the floor.

I'll patiently await the algorithms and metrics proving that it was just a mirage.

Carmine you're on point. Offense overall is very good. Sure guys miss shots, turn over the ball, and sometimes play selfish but overall they are running good offense.

Defense is whole other ball of wax. Mental lapses, lack of intensity, and inconsistency has been common theme.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

goredmen

« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2017, 09:09:24 PM »
Ok, I'll bite since I was the one that brought all the stats last time.

First of all, nobody ever argued that our defense was anything but bad. Everybody knows our defense has to improve if we want to be good. My contention was that our offense isn't all that good either, and I stand by that contention. I am not saying that our offense is as bad or worse than our defense, but I am saying that we need to become more efficient on offense if we want to take the next step.

Obviously the defense was horrific last night. It was by far our worst defensive performance of the season by a pretty large margin. The offense has been playing better lately but it is still far from consistently efficient enough for us to become a really good team.

Going by efficiency numbers in conference games only we have the 6th best offense in the conference. The 7th and 8th best offenses are nipping at our heels as they are both 0.3 points behind us while the 5th best offense (Xavier) is a strong 5.2 points ahead of us.

So as I've been saying obviously our offense is better than our defense but it still needs to become more efficient and more consistent moving forward. Thats not to say our backcourt players aren't amazing as I think the problem mostly lies in the fact that we don't have a guy that is a threat to score catching it on the block with his back to the basket

« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2017, 11:13:06 PM »

Carmine you're on point. Offense overall is very good. Sure guys miss shots, turn over the ball, and sometimes play selfish but overall they are running good offense.

Defense is whole other ball of wax. Mental lapses, lack of intensity, and inconsistency has been common theme.

Thanks Dave.  That's how I see it and I see most every game either in person or on the tele.

« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2017, 11:19:19 PM »
So as I've been saying obviously our offense is better than our defense but it still needs to become more efficient and more consistent moving forward. 

Disagree.  Scoring 100% of the time is certainly ideal and the ultimate unattainable goal.  More efficiency would be great but it has been darn consistent. Our offense as presently constituted is enough to dance.  Our defense is not.

goredmen

« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2017, 11:29:36 PM »
So as I've been saying obviously our offense is better than our defense but it still needs to become more efficient and more consistent moving forward. 

Disagree.  Scoring 100% of the time is certainly ideal and the ultimate unattainable goal.  More efficiency would be great but it has been darn consistent. Our offense as presently constituted is enough to dance.  Our defense is not.

If you score 100 points for every 100 possessions your team would be 253rd out of 351 in D1 in offensive efficiency

55 points on 80 possessions against Georgetown
57 points on 70 possessions against Villanova
73 points on 73 possessions against Seton Hall
77 points on 76 possessions against Xavier
79 points on 80 possessions against Villanova

All in the past 5 weeks. That is not consistency

« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2017, 11:42:04 PM »

First of all, nobody ever argued that our defense was anything but bad. Everybody knows our defense has to improve if we want to be good. My contention was that our offense isn't all that good either, and I stand by that contention. I am not saying that our offense is as bad or worse than our defense, but I am saying that we need to become more efficient on offense if we want to take the next step.

Obviously the defense was horrific last night. It was by far our worst defensive performance of the season by a pretty large margin. The offense has been playing better lately but it is still far from consistently efficient enough for us to become a really good team.

Going by efficiency numbers in conference games only we have the 6th best offense in the conference. The 7th and 8th best offenses are nipping at our heels as they are both 0.3 points behind us while the 5th best offense (Xavier) is a strong 5.2 points ahead of us.

So as I've been saying obviously our offense is better than our defense but it still needs to become more efficient and more consistent moving forward. Thats not to say our backcourt players aren't amazing as I think the problem mostly lies in the fact that we don't have a guy that is a threat to score catching it on the block with his back to the basket
Any idea how our defense ranks this year vs last year ? Better or worse ?

goredmen

« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2017, 11:48:22 PM »

Amazingly similar actually. Last year our full season adjusted defensive efficiency was 101.0 which was 122nd in D1. This year it is 101.9 which is 123rd. Last year our conference only adjusted defensive efficiency was 107.4 which was 9th in the conference. This year it's 110.7 which is 8th.

« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2017, 11:52:41 PM »

Amazingly similar actually. Last year our full season adjusted defensive efficiency was 101.0 which was 122nd in D1. This year it is 101.9 which is 123rd. Last year our conference only adjusted defensive efficiency was 107.4 which was 9th in the conference. This year it's 110.7 which is 8th.
Thx. !

« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2017, 08:47:15 AM »

If you score 100 points for every 100 possessions your team would be 253rd out of 351 in D1 in offensive efficiency

55 points on 80 possessions against Georgetown
57 points on 70 possessions against Villanova
73 points on 73 possessions against Seton Hall
77 points on 76 possessions against Xavier
79 points on 80 possessions against Villanova

All in the past 5 weeks. That is not consistency

I see your point.  I shouldn't have said "darn consistent".  Should have said "darn good overall".

derk

« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2017, 09:44:16 AM »

Offense is streaky at best, as shown by our poor starts.  Especially true in the half court . It is our fast break offense that pushes the half court offense, to make us look somewhat respectable. That said anytime Freddy scores 20 points it's usually in a losing effort.