Going into Big East play....

• 20 replies
Going into Big East play....
« on: December 21, 2017, 08:42:03 AM »
I haven’t seen too much of the other big east teams just yet, but I think we might be 4th best team behind Villanova, Seton Hall and Xavier- with us and Creighton right there. Where do you have St Johns?

Poison

Re: Going into Big East play....
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2017, 08:54:43 AM »
A lot depends on LoVett. If he returns healthy, we can be very good. I’m not impressed with Xavier, Marquette or Providence so far, but let’s see how we do when the BE starts.

« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2017, 09:11:16 AM »
A lot depends on LoVett. If he returns healthy, we can be very good. I’m not impressed with Xavier, Marquette or Providence so far, but let’s see how we do when the BE starts.

Xavier is always there in the end so I give them benefit of doubt. If Howard and Rowsey don’t put up 40+ points, Marquette has no chance

Wods317

« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2017, 09:28:33 AM »
Having seen all the teams play a couple times I would say that Nova is Nova again. Would have to assume we lose both those games but they are great opportunities for a resume making win. Xavier is very good, they have had a few weird games where they haven’t played all that well but when they are on still very good. Seton Hall is a lot like last year and I think we are just as good as them this year when healthy. PC looks banged up, Marquette can score but I think we are better, and Butler is down this year. I think ya and creigbton will be right there fighting for a spot. Then Georgetown and DePaul will round out the bottom.

My guess for standings
Villanova
Xavier
Seton Hall
St. John’s
Creighton
Providence
Marquette
Butler
DePaul
Georgetown

« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2017, 09:48:40 AM »
As of this morning, our RPI is 16 and Strength of Schedule is 18. Nova is at 2 and 45, Xavier at 9 and 31, and Seton Hall at 17 and 36. Butler is at 45 and 63, Providence at 56 and 53, and Creighton at 48 and 154. (Georgetown is at 198 and 347!)

Have to think that 9 and 9 in the BE gets us to the Dance from here.  We get a lot of credit for playing so many competitive teams on neutral sites early.  We just played our last 6 games on 6 different courts, while most teams have been fattening up with heavy home court schedules.

Obviously, we need a healthy Lovett back for the BE games, since Ponds and Simon can't continue to play 40 minutes a game.  Will our defensive intensity and effectiveness translate to BE play, and when will our outside shots start to drop? Have to think that Ponds won't go the whole year shooting 20% from deep.

I think we'll finish 5th in the BE, with a solid shot at 4th, but it's surprising that right now Marquette is the team I thought we'd be, living and dying by the 3 and capable of beating good teams when they're falling, and we're a team that lives and dies on our defense, especially on turnovers and blocks.

Johnny23

« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2017, 09:51:41 AM »
I'd say we're #5 right behind Creighton as of now. 5 teams should get in from the BE so that's good for us.

paultzman

« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2017, 10:09:35 AM »
I'd say we're #5 right behind Creighton as of now. 5 teams should get in from the BE so that's good for us.

Agree

« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2017, 10:28:01 AM »
We still have upside. If Lovett can stay healthy, Clark will play better.  With healthy Lovett and better Clark, Ponds will shoot and play better. Scoring will be down but will be much more efficient.

« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2017, 10:32:29 AM »
As of this morning, our RPI is 16 and Strength of Schedule is 18. Nova is at 2 and 45, Xavier at 9 and 31, and Seton Hall at 17 and 36. Butler is at 45 and 63, Providence at 56 and 53, and Creighton at 48 and 154. (Georgetown is at 198 and 347!)

Have to think that 9 and 9 in the BE gets us to the Dance from here.  We get a lot of credit for playing so many competitive teams on neutral sites early.  We just played our last 6 games on 6 different courts, while most teams have been fattening up with heavy home court schedules.

Obviously, we need a healthy Lovett back for the BE games, since Ponds and Simon can't continue to play 40 minutes a game.  Will our defensive intensity and effectiveness translate to BE play, and when will our outside shots start to drop? Have to think that Ponds won't go the whole year shooting 20% from deep.

I think we'll finish 5th in the BE, with a solid shot at 4th, but it's surprising that right now Marquette is the team I thought we'd be, living and dying by the 3 and capable of beating good teams when they're falling, and we're a team that lives and dies on our defense, especially on turnovers and blocks.

I can agree with you about 9-9, but all wins are not created equal. If some of those wins come against ranked teams or on the road, that would obviously make things easier. A win in the Big East tournament would also help big time.

« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2017, 11:30:28 AM »
I know we have been so burned in the past that I think we are setting the bar to low for this team. I think we can be 11-7 in the Big East. Possible Losses

Vill 2
SH 1
Xavier 1
Creighton 1
Butler 1
Pick-em Loss 1

We have a solid team that should get better as the year goes on. One big improvement is our teams commitment to defense and that will help us in Conference.

thetruth8734

• SJU Alum
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2017, 02:11:57 PM »
We are a #11 seed in the East playing #6 Cincinnati in Joe Lunardi’s latest bracket.

« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2017, 01:52:00 AM »
Just crunched the numbers and see 9 and 9 for us.

10 and 8 not out of the realm and would represent a very successful junior campaign for coach.

Marillac

« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2017, 02:05:25 AM »

10 and 8 not out of the realm and would represent a very successful junior campaign for coach.

9 more wins gets us in with strong OOC RPI from neutral court games. A win over Providence next week makes that more likely than not for the time being.

« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2017, 08:52:53 AM »

9 more wins gets us in with strong OOC RPI from neutral court games. A win over Providence next week makes that more likely than not for the time being.

Really looking forward to that game.  Strong out of conference showing, Marcus returning plus a sold out holiday crowd - gonna be lit in Alumni.

Marillac

« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2017, 06:28:16 PM »
I haven’t seen too much of the other big east teams just yet, but I think we might be 4th best team behind Villanova, Seton Hall and Xavier- with us and Creighton right there. Where do you have St Johns?

Creighton is clearly better than us. 5th should be the goal.

MCNPA

« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2017, 08:32:38 PM »

I’m not sure how you say they’re clearly better.  We almost beat ASU without our second leading scorer.  In addition I’d argue that 5th should NEVER be our “goal”.

Marillac

« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2017, 09:11:25 PM »

I’m not sure how you say they’re clearly better.  We almost beat ASU without our second leading scorer.  In addition I’d argue that 5th should NEVER be our “goal”.

Their coach is proven and they have way more experience, size, and depth than us. Khyri can also shut down Shamorie like nobody else.

« Reply #17 on: December 23, 2017, 11:19:21 AM »
Good assessment

hnk

« Reply #18 on: December 23, 2017, 03:37:46 PM »
I don't understand who Baldi means when he says "we"

« Reply #19 on: December 23, 2017, 04:39:48 PM »
I don't understand who Baldi means when he says "we"

Great post. By we I mean you losers