Should Simon run the point?

• 22 replies
Should Simon run the point?
« on: December 31, 2017, 09:27:07 PM »
Let Marcus and Shamorie play the wings.  Unlike the other Simon looks to get others involved.

Re: Should Simon run the point?
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2017, 09:32:38 PM »
 He seems efficient at point but hard to tell without Ponds & Lovett in game.  Non conf opportunities were hard to evaluate him in this role.

as long as he doesn't spot up shoot too much, I'm flexible on how he is used. shoots like he's never shot or been shown any technique / form... it's like a flick and should only do that it shot clock is down to 1 sec or he's totally wide open.  Wonder what his shot looked like when he first got to camus if this is what the product is after a year with Mullin & Richmond
« Last Edit: December 31, 2017, 09:36:06 PM by RedStormNC »

« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2017, 09:55:21 PM »
Ponds doesn’t look to get his teammates involved? Lol
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

hnk

« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2018, 08:35:02 AM »
Every game going forward Simon, Lovett, and Ponds together should have a minimum of 15-20 assists ( which Simon had by himself against Seton Hall.)  At least 7 of the assists should be not to each other (but to Bashir, Marvin, and Tariq. )  That means Lovett and to some extent Ponds will have to be more efficient and take fewer shots.  They all hit on their threes  when in rhythm.

Seton Hall showed that Lovett and Ponds to some extent can sit more a) to rest them 2) to teach them about defensive lapses and missed passing opportunities.

Lovett needs to be told we need at least 5 assists game from him which would help to give us the offensive balance we need.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2018, 08:41:09 AM by hnk »

« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2018, 11:33:45 AM »
Every game going forward Simon, Lovett, and Ponds together should have a minimum of 15-20 assists ( which Simon had by himself against Seton Hall.)  At least 7 of the assists should be not to each other (but to Bashir, Marvin, and Tariq. )  That means Lovett and to some extent Ponds will have to be more efficient and take fewer shots.  They all hit on their threes  when in rhythm.

Seton Hall showed that Lovett and Ponds to some extent can sit more a) to rest them 2) to teach them about defensive lapses and missed passing opportunities.

Lovett needs to be told we need at least 5 assists game from him which would help to give us the offensive balance we need.

Your second point about about rest and teaching moments is very good. But you’re assist requests are unrealistic. College teams rarely, if ever, have two guys average 5+ asts let alone three guys.

Foad

« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2018, 11:38:12 AM »
Every game going forward Simon, Lovett, and Ponds together should have a minimum of 15-20 assists

There are two teams in the country that average 20 assists per game. One is Michigan State, which has had 80 assists over its past three games versus Savanhah State, Cleveland State and Long Beach State. In each of those games - against opponents with a combined record of 11-31 - MSU scored over 100 points. The other team with > 20 assists is dook. Both MSU and dook are in the top five. Counting those two eight teams total average more than 19 assists per game.  So a minimum of 20 might be a tad optimistic.

hnk

« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2018, 11:45:28 AM »
Foadie, how many average 15 assists? Thanks.  (It's 114 teams.  Some foads are very foolish when they're hungover from New Year's Eve.)

You must have loved yesterday since we didn't hold Seton Hall to 69 points or less.  You would have found that boring. BTW, we would have won had we done so.   Happy New Year!
« Last Edit: January 01, 2018, 12:26:34 PM by hnk »

« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2018, 03:02:35 PM »
+1. IMO, Ponds is sometimes too unselfish passing up shots to feed a teammate.

Foad

« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2018, 03:25:58 PM »
Foadie, how many average 15 assists? Thanks.  (It's 114 teams.  Some foads are very foolish when they're hungover from New Year's Eve.)

In the first place you said a minimum of 15 to 20, which translates to significantly more than 15. In the second, St John's already averages 13. If the point of your post was that St John's should average one more assist per half than they already do, your point was poorly expressed, and that's me being uncharacteristically charitable. And also relatively pointless, because two assists a game comprising as it does a meager four points is a pretty insignificant improvement. In the third place I'm rarely hungover since I stopped drinking brown spirits, which contain congeners, which are very bad for you, as opposed to vodka, which contains potatoes, which are rich in important nutrients such as calcium and vitamin C and help me maintain strong bones and teeth.

You must have loved yesterday since we didn't hold Seton Hall to 69 points or less.  You would have found that boring. BTW, we would have won had we done so.

Okay. So you think that by scoring more points via a greater number of assists and allowing fewer points by virtue of improved defense St John's will increase its chances of victory. That should prove to be quite controversial, hopefully a lively discussion ensues.

« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2018, 03:28:00 PM »
+1. IMO, Ponds is sometimes too unselfish passing up shots to feed a teammate.

I'd rather have Simon be PG precisely because Ponds would look to score more!

hnk

« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2018, 03:32:57 PM »
Foadie, the point of my post, which was successful, was to discover what it is that you drink.  Thank you.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2018, 03:33:30 PM by hnk »

« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2018, 04:22:42 PM »
Simon does not have a good enough handle on the ball in the open court to be PG.  How many times did he have the ball stripped from behind while bringing the ball up court yesterday? Once the offense is set in the half court there are times that he can take charge to show a different look but all of this talk of him being a PG is foolish.  Ponds and Lovett are the ball handlers, case closed!

« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2018, 06:47:35 PM »
The game is positionless.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

goredmen

« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2018, 07:29:08 PM »

That's not entirely true, especially with the PG role. Every team needs a competent PG in order to reach their full potential. That is extremely evident at the college level. It is impossible for a college team to be good without a competent PG.

There are also numerous guys in every class whose draft stock is hurt by not having the size to play the 2 while also not having true PG skills, or not big enough to play the 4 and not athletic enough to play the 3.

« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2018, 08:11:50 PM »

That's not entirely true, especially with the PG role. Every team needs a competent PG in order to reach their full potential. That is extremely evident at the college level. It is impossible for a college team to be good without a competent PG.

There are also numerous guys in every class whose draft stock is hurt by not having the size to play the 2 while also not having true PG skills, or not big enough to play the 4 and not athletic enough to play the 3.

You're both right. The positons have changed. More important is where you can guard.

goredmen

« Reply #15 on: January 01, 2018, 08:20:53 PM »

You're both right. The positons have changed. More important is where you can guard.

That's a big part of it for the bigger guys that may not have a true position in the NBA like a Miles Bridges. But for guards they either have to be able to make shots over guys as a 2 or be a true PG

At the college level, you need to identify who your PG is and he needs to know how to run things on offense. Otherwise it almost doesn't matter how much talent you have at the other positions

« Reply #16 on: January 01, 2018, 09:09:49 PM »
I don't think we need to define it as "running point." Simon is a SF who is very competent with the ball in his hands and can penetrate and dish. Do I want Simon bringing the ball up while being doubled in the backcourt? no. I think Ponds or LoVett are much better suited for that.

I think this team has so much potential. It sucks we're so injury riddled as we can't afford to lose many more BE games.

Owens, Clark, Simon, Ponds, LoVett has got to be a top 3 starting 5 in the BE. We lack depth, and our two best players are hobbled.

« Reply #17 on: January 01, 2018, 10:41:19 PM »
I say let Lovett get about 20 mins at the PG spot and then Shamorie and Justin the other 20 mins. When Ponds is playing the point, Lovett can play the 2 and Justin the 3. When Lovett is playing point, Ponds at the 2 and Justin at the 3. When Justin is playing the point for the 10 mins, Shamorie and Lovett can take their break on the bench (not at the same time). Obviously this could be broken up throughout the game. Ponds, Lovett and Simon would still all get their 30 to 35 mins per.

« Reply #18 on: January 02, 2018, 08:11:51 AM »

Every team needs a ball handler.

I think what most people are looking for out of Simon "running the point" is being the facilitator and being able to penetrate and kick.

Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

sju89tr

« Reply #19 on: January 02, 2018, 08:40:38 AM »
Simon does not have a good enough handle on the ball in the open court to be PG.  How many times did he have the ball stripped from behind while bringing the ball up court yesterday? Once the offense is set in the half court there are times that he can take charge to show a different look but all of this talk of him being a PG is foolish.  Ponds and Lovett are the ball handlers, case closed!

+1