Creighton Game 1

• 203 replies

paultzman

Re: Creighton Game 1
« Reply #100 on: January 03, 2018, 09:54:35 PM »
Came down to free throws..  then again, that bogus goaltend might have won it for us...

The missed goaltend was huge.  But, we had control of the FTs and blew 'em.  Ponds and Clark missed some huge freebies.
+1

Dan

« Reply #101 on: January 03, 2018, 09:54:52 PM »
Another moral victory

No moral victories.  0-3 in BE play is sad

« Reply #102 on: January 03, 2018, 09:55:17 PM »
I’m not saying we should have won but goddamn, creighton needed a lot of shit to happen to win.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

Marillac

« Reply #103 on: January 03, 2018, 09:56:58 PM »
We are a stupid team and poorly coached. How anyone not named Ponds is allowed to touch the ball at the the end of games is a mystery to me and every single opposing coach. This team has absolutely no discipline. Owens is allowed to take contested treys whenever he wants now? Don't have the heart for this.  See you guys next year.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2018, 09:58:02 PM by Marillac »

« Reply #104 on: January 03, 2018, 09:57:37 PM »
Great having AliB out there missing 3s at crunch time.

Dan

« Reply #105 on: January 03, 2018, 09:59:36 PM »

Alibegovic ever seeing playing time regardless of the team's injury situation makes me question the entire staff.

« Reply #106 on: January 03, 2018, 09:59:57 PM »
Free throws by our best free throw shooters ultimately killed us.

But, Mullin leaving Alibegovic in game for so long started it all.

Not running anything to free up Ponds and bang up Thomas was a big miss.

« Reply #107 on: January 03, 2018, 10:01:03 PM »
We are a stupid team and poorly coached. How anyone not named Ponds is allowed to touch the ball at the the end of games is a mystery to me and every single opposing coach. This team has absolutely no discipline. Owens is allowed to take contested treys whenever he wants now? Don't have the heart for this.  See you guys next year.

Not only Owens....  Pretty much any player is allowed to take contested treys.

I also thought he should've gone zone sooner.  You're certainly not gonna get any argument from me when it comes to coaching and discipline with this team. 

We have to win our next two.  Lose one of those games and we likely can kiss our NCAA Tournament dreams goodbye.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2018, 10:03:08 PM by mjdinkins »

Johnny23

« Reply #108 on: January 03, 2018, 10:01:12 PM »
Yeah to have Ali B and Trimble out there together is criminal, let alone either/or when the game is tight. That's fully on Mullin and staff for having them out there. Also as someone on here said, not running set plays for Ponds down the stretch is wrong. Just poor.

« Reply #109 on: January 03, 2018, 10:01:49 PM »
Creighton's defender pushed Owens and no foul was called.  The ref was standing right there. 
Owens never would have gotten away with that

Johnny23

« Reply #110 on: January 03, 2018, 10:02:01 PM »

Not only Owens....  Pretty much any player is allowed to take contested treys.

I also thought he should've gone zone sooner.  You're certainly not gonna get any argument from me when it comes to coaching and discipline with this team.

+1

« Reply #111 on: January 03, 2018, 10:02:02 PM »
Team is undisciplined that’s why you have crazy swings and guys taking 3s who should not shoot 3s.

Marillac

« Reply #112 on: January 03, 2018, 10:02:16 PM »
Free throws by our best free throw shooters ultimately killed us.

But, Mullin leaving Alibegovic in game for so long started it all.

Not running anything to free up Ponds and bang up Thomas was a big miss.
Free up a player? Let me know when that happens in the Mullin era. No, we just run iso at the best matchup...exactly what opposing coaches expect us to do.

« Reply #113 on: January 03, 2018, 10:02:31 PM »
We are a stupid team and poorly coached. How anyone not named Ponds is allowed to touch the ball at the the end of games is a mystery to me and every single opposing coach. This team has absolutely no discipline. Owens is allowed to take contested whenever he wants now? See you guys next year.

You are making me dislike Ponds.
He can't shoot and needs to take better shots. Missed a big free throw.
He is a good player but not a program changer. .
There is only so much you can do w/o Lovett they only have 5 quality BE players.
Terrible roster management.
Yakwe has gone from good to really bad to invisible.
Trimble is a freshman, but not a good one.
Amar....Staff's fault he is forced to play. See roster management issue.

« Reply #114 on: January 03, 2018, 10:04:03 PM »
Here are some facts....  We have players with very low basketball IQs, we do not have the shooters needed to win in this league, we never pick and roll or backdoor anyone and we don't rebound well.  Although I don't think that Mullin is a coaching genius, I think we are losing to better teams.  Even our beloved ponds is not a great shooter and his best attribute is going one on one.

« Reply #115 on: January 03, 2018, 10:05:52 PM »
Should have had this one.  Can't give up a 16-2 run when you have control.  Immature teams lose leads like that.  The competitiveness on the road this year is a big plus, leads me to believe they will beat these teams at home, but after losing the Providence game they needed this one.  15 league games, can they go 10-5?

« Reply #116 on: January 03, 2018, 10:06:05 PM »
We are playing with basically 5 guys. Only 1 and a half of which are legit offensive threats as opposed to secondary scorers. We also have absolutely no one that can get us an easy basket down low. Depth and inside force are out two main issues.

Marillac

« Reply #117 on: January 03, 2018, 10:07:55 PM »
We are a stupid team and poorly coached. How anyone not named Ponds is allowed to touch the ball at the the end of games is a mystery to me and every single opposing coach. This team has absolutely no discipline. Owens is allowed to take contested whenever he wants now? See you guys next year.

You are making me dislike Ponds.
He can't shoot and needs to take better shots. Missed a big free throw.
He is a good player but not a program changer. .
There is only so much you can do w/o Lovett they only have 5 quality BE players.
Terrible roster management.
Yakwe has gone from good to really bad to invisible.
Trimble is a freshman, but not a good one.
Amar....Staff's fault he is forced to play. See roster management issue.

Get Ponds off the best defender in the conference. Make them switch or get him going downhill off double-screens. Why is this not an option? Every single coach wants someone other than Ponds to beat them. This team can't dribble. That's not Ponds' fault.

« Reply #118 on: January 03, 2018, 10:08:48 PM »

Alibegovic ever seeing playing time regardless of the team's injury situation makes me question the entire staff.

He was in the first half when we had the big run, no complaining about that? Mullin was stealing a minute of rest for the closing minutes, with AA and Trimble. Our 2 85% foul shooters missed 3 of them down the stretch, killed momentum.

« Reply #119 on: January 03, 2018, 10:12:02 PM »
Should have had this one.  Can't give up a 16-2 run when you have control.  Immature teams lose leads like that.  The competitiveness on the road this year is a big plus, leads me to believe they will beat these teams at home, but after losing the Providence game they needed this one.  15 league games, can they go 10-5?

Mullin fueled that 16-2 run by leaving Ali in there for so long. And, you have to do something when the team is obviously out of sync on offense.

Anyway, agree that two road performances, without top players, provides encouragement. Can absolutely see us beating both at home.