Creighton Game 1

• 203 replies

TONYD3

Re: Creighton Game 1
« Reply #160 on: January 04, 2018, 10:30:33 AM »
A quick review of the BE season to date. 

Providence, a bad loss.

Seton Hall, hung tough in their home gym, a decent performance.

Creighton, a good game.  In it to the end against a team that is very tough on their home court. 

The gloom and doom exhibited by the vast majority of posters is absurd.  Because of the short bench we are going to have problems and the rebounding is awful, -18.  However the team quickness led to 13 steals (against 1), a great stat.  The obvious observations made by the posters are valid and notate the teams's problems but few realize that, with the exception of the providence game,  the overall performance of the team has been very good.  Losing to 2 ranked teams at home is not a disgrace.  With Lovett out it should be expected.  We have a lot of home games left against teams that can and should be beaten.  My only significant worry is the short bench which can lead to a tired last five minutes and an inability to close.  LASTLY, LETS GET THE BALL IN PONDS' HANDS AT THE END OF THE GAME AND HOPEFULLY HE WILL GO TO THE HOOP SINCE HIS SHOT IS OFF.  He looks like he is drifting which is the kiss of death from 3.  The man can draw fouls in his sleep going to the hoop.     
I would agree if I had any faith in this staff. We played 5 good teams and lost to all of them. That isn’t bad luck. Good teams with good coaches beat bad teams with bad coaches. We have talent. No reason to be winless vs good teams .
Even in our wins, we played well vs an ok Nebraska team. Did we play well vs Oregon state or central Florida?
Our conference is great, but we are not playing loaded uconn or Louisville teams. We have players to compete. We are in last AGAIN. We are winless again. Our talent is not championship level. But Wednesday night during the big east we shouldn’t be playing.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2018, 11:23:42 AM by TONYD3 »

« Reply #161 on: January 04, 2018, 10:38:15 AM »
It’s too bad but, playing Yakwe in BE Games yields nothing . He has such poor hands he fumbles most passes in to him and when he does catch it , he misses shots like crazy . He has no touch  and when he makes a move to the basket , nothing good ever happens . Nice kid , just not a natural B.B. player .

« Reply #162 on: January 04, 2018, 10:49:22 AM »
when will 'next year', becoming 'this year'...

its funny how we can make a couple of key adjustments on defense (zone in both SH and CU games) that cause a bit of confusion, but we can't run a couple of set plays in critical moments to get us a basket... that really is on the coaching staff.

side note: i was impressed by how Ewing ripped his player for taking a step back one legged shot.  how many of those out of control shots have we seen from our guys....

https://deadspin.com/patrick-ewing-gets-brutally-honest-with-a-georgetown-pl-1821740574

ras

« Reply #163 on: January 04, 2018, 10:54:50 AM »
It’s too bad but, playing Yakwe in BE Games yields nothing . He has such poor hands he fumbles most passes in to him and when he does catch it , he misses shots like crazy . He has no touch  and when he makes a move to the basket , nothing good ever happens . Nice kid , just not a natural B.B. player .
Theres the problem. And I still would play Yakwe over Amar. At least Yakwe could defend and rebound. WE have no bench.Can not win wo it. Need Lovett and Ponds and no injuries. Sat. game is must win , Im not blaming the coaching staff. With only 5 players and our best one not 100percent, we played admirably.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2018, 11:32:57 AM by ras »

« Reply #164 on: January 04, 2018, 10:59:37 AM »

It is a shame he was bit by a walker. At least he hasn't tried to turn any of his teammates into zombies. When they spinoff The Walking Dead to NYC I expect Yakwe to be a main character.

« Reply #165 on: January 04, 2018, 12:23:45 PM »
Trimble is Ricky Torres

That's the worst insult you can pay a Johnny.  He's a freshmen.  Far too early for such a harsh judgement.

Johnny23

« Reply #166 on: January 04, 2018, 12:25:59 PM »
A quick review of the BE season to date. 

Providence, a bad loss.

Seton Hall, hung tough in their home gym, a decent performance.

Creighton, a good game.  In it to the end against a team that is very tough on their home court. 

The gloom and doom exhibited by the vast majority of posters is absurd.  Because of the short bench we are going to have problems and the rebounding is awful, -18.  However the team quickness led to 13 steals (against 1), a great stat.  The obvious observations made by the posters are valid and notate the teams's problems but few realize that, with the exception of the providence game,  the overall performance of the team has been very good.  Losing to 2 ranked teams at home is not a disgrace.  With Lovett out it should be expected.  We have a lot of home games left against teams that can and should be beaten.  My only significant worry is the short bench which can lead to a tired last five minutes and an inability to close.  LASTLY, LETS GET THE BALL IN PONDS' HANDS AT THE END OF THE GAME AND HOPEFULLY HE WILL GO TO THE HOOP SINCE HIS SHOT IS OFF.  He looks like he is drifting which is the kiss of death from 3.  The man can draw fouls in his sleep going to the hoop.     
I would agree if I had any faith in this staff. We played 5 good teams and lost to all of them. That isn’t bad luck. Good teams with good coaches beat bad teams with bad coaches. We have talent. No reason to be winless vs good teams .
Even in our wins, we played well vs an ok Nebraska team. Did we play well vs Oregon state or central Florida?
Our conference is great, but we are not playing loaded uconn or Louisville teams. We have players to compete. We are in last AGAIN. We are winless again. Our talent is not championship level. But Wednesday night during the big east we shouldn’t be playing.

I pretty much agree with all of this.

« Reply #167 on: January 04, 2018, 12:42:10 PM »
All that is missing is a silly pet nickname and you are there. 

Geometric shapes are not silly.  Perhaps my finest work ever.

« Reply #168 on: January 04, 2018, 12:52:58 PM »
Here's an interesting stat from today's game:

Amar Alibegovich 12 mins played
Kassoum Yakwe 2 mins played

I missed the 1st half.  Did KY get hurt or get disciplined?  Coach ordinarily wouldn't play Da Ali B six times more than Lube.

« Reply #169 on: January 04, 2018, 12:55:12 PM »
Jesus couple of tough opponents on the road where they were short handed and suddenly all these guys including freshman suck.  As if SJU lost by 30 each game.

Let's see where SJU is at the end of January...

« Reply #170 on: January 04, 2018, 01:02:14 PM »
The Simon highlight reel dunk to push the lead to 10 and everyone celebrating instead of getting back on dee and our two Ft shooters with a combined 90% average going 0 for 3 down the stretch stood out.

The shine has come off this Saturday afternoon Depaul matchup.

goredmen

« Reply #171 on: January 04, 2018, 01:10:24 PM »

I missed the 1st half.  Did KY get hurt or get disciplined?  Coach ordinarily wouldn't play Da Ali B six times more than Lube.

Neither really. Creighton made layups over him on back to back possessions and that was the end of that

« Reply #172 on: January 04, 2018, 01:19:45 PM »

Neither really. Creighton made layups over him on back to back possessions and that was the end of that

Hopefully coach reconsiders.  He's a much better option than Amar this season. Amar's +/- numbers must have been awful in Omaha.

« Reply #173 on: January 04, 2018, 01:27:43 PM »

Hopefully coach reconsiders.  He's a much better option than Amar this season. Amar's +/- numbers must have been awful in Omaha.

Hey Hey....Amar was on the floor during that 14-0 run!

« Reply #174 on: January 04, 2018, 02:10:18 PM »
The Simon highlight reel dunk to push the lead to 10 and everyone celebrating instead of getting back on dee and our two Ft shooters with a combined 90% average going 0 for 3 down the stretch stood out.

The shine has come off this Saturday afternoon Depaul matchup.

Yes. Kyri Thomas' fortuitous bounce with 20 seconds left as well.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

« Reply #175 on: January 04, 2018, 02:23:12 PM »
We are a stupid team and poorly coached. How anyone not named Ponds is allowed to touch the ball at the the end of games is a mystery to me and every single opposing coach. This team has absolutely no discipline. Owens is allowed to take contested whenever he wants now? See you guys next year.

You are making me dislike Ponds.
He can't shoot and needs to take better shots. Missed a big free throw.
He is a good player but not a program changer. .
There is only so much you can do w/o Lovett they only have 5 quality BE players.
Terrible roster management.
Yakwe has gone from good to really bad to invisible.
Trimble is a freshman, but not a good one.
Amar....Staff's fault he is forced to play. See roster management issue.

Get Ponds off the best defender in the conference. Make them switch or get him going downhill off double-screens. Why is this not an option? Every single coach wants someone other than Ponds to beat them. This team can't dribble. That's not Ponds' fault.

He is a good player but not a first team all conference player and certainly not what you are pumping him as. You are drifting dangerously into Carmine territory with him. All that is missing is a silly pet nickname and you are there. Ponds would be great in an up-tempo offense with some athletic bigs that can score. Tough to play that way when you are playing iron man basketball. Ponds is not Hatten, he needs help. Doubt Lovett comes back and as well as he played I do not trust Ahmed.

20 6 & 5. That's during a shooting slump.

Good player, not Hatten or Hardy.

You said hes not a 1st team all conference player. Of the top 5 scorers in BE he leads all of them in rebounding and assists. There is no way hardy is a better player than ponds.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

QuanMan

« Reply #176 on: January 04, 2018, 02:37:39 PM »
-People note the ineptitude of the bench, rightfully so. Putting up a donut in all categories with 2 turnovers over the amount of minutes played killed them. Khyri Thomas absolutely manhandled Shamorie all night, that was a killer as well.Minutes distribution and lack of effective time outs during Creighton runs can also be put into question.

-However the determining factor to me was the rebounding disparity. Creighton out rebounded us 41-23. Over 40 minutes we had 2 offensive rebounds on 34 missed shots!!! In the 2nd half, we had ZERO OFFENSIVE BOARDS. That is just appalling and amazing how we still were within grasp of victory.

-We can bicker, complain and nitpick all we want, fact is if you told us that Marcus would be out for 8 games mid season we'd all agree that the results would be catastrophic, and of late they have been. This team needs to be at full health, bottom line. There is no margin of error whatsoever, as the bench production proves to us on a nightly basis.

-The goal has to be sweeping this upcoming homestead. Laugh away, but Villanova is depleted with injuries to Gillespie and Samuels. We have a real shot at them in what should be a sold out Garden. It all starts Saturday. This season can still be turned around just as quickly as its collapsing, but it won't be done without Lovett. Enough is enough, he needs to play.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2018, 02:43:06 PM by QuanMan »
Section 3
Section 116

Marillac

« Reply #177 on: January 04, 2018, 02:42:11 PM »
-People note the ineptitude of the bench, rightfully so. Putting up a donut in all categories with 2 turnovers over the amount of minutes played killed them. Khyri Thomas absolutely manhandled Shamorie all night, that was a killer as well.Minutes distribution and lack of effective time outs during Creighton runs can also be put into question.

-However the determining factor to me was the rebounding disparity. Creighton out rebounded us 41-23. Over 40 minutes we had 2 offensive rebounds on 34 shots!!! In the 2nd half, we had ZERO OFFENSIVE BOARDS. That is just appalling and amazing how we still were within grasp of victory.

-We can bicker, complain and nitpick all we want, fact is if you told us that Marcus would be out for 8 games mid season we'd all agree that the results would be catastrophic, and of late they have been. This team needs to be at full health, bottom line. There is no margin of error whatsoever, as the bench production proves to us on a nightly basis.

-The goal has to be sweeping this upcoming homestead. Laugh away, but Villanova is depleted with injuries to Gillespie and Samuels. We have a real shot at them in what should be a sold out Garden. It all starts Saturday. This season can still be turned around just as quickly as its collapsing, but it won't be done without Lovett. Enough is enough, he needs to play.

We are one of the worst offensive rebounding teams in the country. Every so often they come out with it as a priority, but it disappears the next game. It is maddening to watch shot after shot go missed without someone competing for the rebound.

goredmen

« Reply #178 on: January 04, 2018, 02:50:21 PM »

To say Villanova is "depleted" because they are missing two guys that average about 10 minutes per game between them is pretty absurd. Villanova has played a few close games or vs quality teams in non conference this year with both of them healthy:

vs WKU - Gillespie 12 mins, Samuels 1
vs Tenn - Gillespie 10, Samuels 0
vs UNI - Gillespie 10, Samuels 0
vs Gonzaga - Gillespie 7, Samuels 1

Though Villanova may not be deep, they are a well coached experienced team. We'll be double digit underdogs vs them at home and rightfully so

goredmen

« Reply #179 on: January 04, 2018, 02:55:56 PM »

-However the determining factor to me was the rebounding disparity. Creighton out rebounded us 41-23. Over 40 minutes we had 2 offensive rebounds on 34 shots!!! In the 2nd half, we had ZERO OFFENSIVE BOARDS. That is just appalling and amazing how we still were within grasp of victory.

We are one of the worst offensive rebounding teams in the country. Every so often they come out with it as a priority, but it disappears the next game. It is maddening to watch shot after shot go missed without someone competing for the rebound.

Agree the offensive rebound and rebounding in general leaves a lot to be desired, but we are 208th in the country out of 351 teams in offensive rebounding percentage. Not good, but not one of the worst offensive rebounding teams in the country. For every 100 shots that go up, we will grab 1 less offensive rebound than the average D1 team.

Our defensive rebounding is way worse than our offensive rebounding. We are 297th in the country in defensive rebounding percentage, giving up 3.2% higher than the D1 average