Creighton Game 1

• 203 replies
Re: Creighton Game 1
« Reply #120 on: January 03, 2018, 10:13:01 PM »
We are a stupid team and poorly coached. How anyone not named Ponds is allowed to touch the ball at the the end of games is a mystery to me and every single opposing coach. This team has absolutely no discipline. Owens is allowed to take contested whenever he wants now? See you guys next year.

You are making me dislike Ponds.
He can't shoot and needs to take better shots. Missed a big free throw.
He is a good player but not a program changer. .
There is only so much you can do w/o Lovett they only have 5 quality BE players.
Terrible roster management.
Yakwe has gone from good to really bad to invisible.
Trimble is a freshman, but not a good one.
Amar....Staff's fault he is forced to play. See roster management issue.

Get Ponds off the best defender in the conference. Make them switch or get him going downhill off double-screens. Why is this not an option? Every single coach wants someone other than Ponds to beat them. This team can't dribble. That's not Ponds' fault.

He is a good player but not a first team all conference player and certainly not what you are pumping him as. You are drifting dangerously into Carmine territory with him. All that is missing is a silly pet nickname and you are there. Ponds would be great in an up-tempo offense with some athletic bigs that can score. Tough to play that way when you are playing iron man basketball. Ponds is not Hatten, he needs help. Doubt Lovett comes back and as well as he played I do not trust Ahmed.

« Reply #121 on: January 03, 2018, 10:13:44 PM »
I have seen every Big East team play this year and realistically I don't expect to beat anyone.  Only DePaul is a toss up.  I'm not putting SJU down as much as complimenting the league.  GT is a bad match up with Govan and Marqutte might hit 30 3 pointers against us. 

« Reply #122 on: January 03, 2018, 10:18:02 PM »
I have seen every Big East team play this year and realistically I don't expect to beat anyone.  Only DePaul is a toss up.  I'm not putting SJU down as much as complimenting the league.  GT is a bad match up with Govan and Marqutte might hit 30 3 pointers against us. 

Govan has stepped up his game this season, but he's still somewhat soft.  We can neutralize him.  G'town also has a weak backcourt. 

Marquette may likely rain enough 3's on us that our group will think they're in a tropical depression.  You know....  IMO, it's all about us and how we play.  Frankly, that's been the case in every loss this season.  We're typically our own worst enemy.

« Reply #123 on: January 03, 2018, 10:18:05 PM »
Should have had this one.  Can't give up a 16-2 run when you have control.  Immature teams lose leads like that.  The competitiveness on the road this year is a big plus, leads me to believe they will beat these teams at home, but after losing the Providence game they needed this one.  15 league games, can they go 10-5?

For first time I am starting to think we never see Lovett again. So would be tough to see us win more than 4. Would have liked to see team healthy going in to BE and see what  would have happened. Oh well.....

« Reply #124 on: January 03, 2018, 10:19:12 PM »
We are a stupid team and poorly coached. How anyone not named Ponds is allowed to touch the ball at the the end of games is a mystery to me and every single opposing coach. This team has absolutely no discipline. Owens is allowed to take contested whenever he wants now? See you guys next year.

There is only so much you can do w/o Lovett they only have 5 quality BE players.

Get Ponds off the best defender in the conference. Make them switch or get him going downhill off double-screens. Why is this not an option? Every single coach wants someone other than Ponds to beat them. This team can't dribble. That's not Ponds' fault.

He is a good player but not a first team all conference player and certainly not what you are pumping him as. You are drifting dangerously into Carmine territory with him. All that is missing is a silly pet nickname and you are there. Ponds would be great in an up-tempo offense with some athletic bigs that can score. Tough to play that way when you are playing iron man basketball. Ponds is not Hatten, he needs help. Doubt Lovett comes back and as well as he played I do not trust Ahmed.

20 6 & 5. That's during a shooting slump.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

« Reply #125 on: January 03, 2018, 10:19:12 PM »

Ponds is absolutely a first team  all conference player. Just not shooting like one so far. Not sure what is wrong with his shot. He was a good shooter last year.

For a guy who is shooting 20% from 3, he finds more  ways to score.

« Reply #126 on: January 03, 2018, 10:21:06 PM »

Ponds is absolutely a first team  all conference player. Just not shooting like one so far. Not sure what is wrong with his shot. He was a good shooter last year.

For a guy who is shooting 20% from 3, he finds more  ways to score.

He absolutely will not make 1st team unless they name 9 guys like they did when BE had like 18 teams

« Reply #127 on: January 03, 2018, 10:21:44 PM »

20 6 & 5. That's during a shooting slump.

Good player, not Hatten or Hardy.

« Reply #128 on: January 03, 2018, 10:23:14 PM »
I feel like Joe Beningo watching the Jets with this team.

« Reply #129 on: January 03, 2018, 10:23:31 PM »
We have actually looked like a pretty talented team the last two games and the team grinded pretty hard. Just need too keep grinding, play with a little more smarts and discipline on offense and keep grinding away. Unfortunately not sure we have the coaching to demand the discipline as it looks like the whole team basically has free reign to take whatever shots they want.

« Reply #130 on: January 03, 2018, 10:24:39 PM »
Disappointing loss . Aren’t they all. We had the game under control  and then we collapsed and let them roll without any stops . And , we are not a clutch team . Clark and Ponds missing critical free throws late was a killer , when we had a chance to win . Pond’s shot is missing and has been all season . But, why he isn’t going to the hoop on every possession down the stretch is a mystery . Owens has overrated his long shooting ability and we didn’t need him hoisting so many up , without any rebounding on the offensive boards . Playing hard but, losing is still losing and the season looks onthe way to a losing Conference  Record . We have had way too losing Years in the last 15 Years .

« Reply #131 on: January 03, 2018, 10:24:43 PM »
Should have had this one.  Can't give up a 16-2 run when you have control.  Immature teams lose leads like that.  The competitiveness on the road this year is a big plus, leads me to believe they will beat these teams at home, but after losing the Providence game they needed this one.  15 league games, can they go 10-5?

Mullin fueled that 16-2 run by leaving Ali in there for so long. And, you have to do something when the team is obviously out of sync on offense.

Anyway, agree that two road performances, without top players, provides encouragement. Can absolutely see us beating both at home.

Exactly, when they played Xavier, Creighton and Nova at home last year I knew they wouldn't beat any of them.

I absolutely believe they can beat Xavier, Creighton and believe it or not Nova.  This still hurts.

But need to whip DePaul and get a little roll going.

« Reply #132 on: January 03, 2018, 10:25:12 PM »
Ponds has to want to take over the game at the end. Didn't even know he was on the floor for long stretches. When your best player goes invisible on the road, you're not winning. Missed free throws were killers, Simon's shot was goaltended, and Thomas's 3 from the corner hit every part of the rim.

We played a good game in a very hard place for visitors, came back from a couple of deficits when we could have folded, and showed some real toughness. Nobody wants to start 0 and 3, but we can still turn this thing around if we continue to play at this level. Let's get DePaul on Saturday and take it from there.

« Reply #133 on: January 03, 2018, 10:26:29 PM »
From the three point line, Ponds seems to be shooting it flatter than last year.  Also I notice him kicking his legs kinda side-to-side instead of straight up and down.  Three point shot selection is worse than last year as well. 

Additionally, he's the focus of defenses now... it all adds up.

He's so talented and so smooth, that he'll hit hard shots, so he'll keep on taking them.  It's a fool's gold to keep on going back to hard shots.

Essentially, the degree of difficulty is way up on his shots... that, and he's shooting it too flat.  He needs arc on it. 

He's an absolute assassin with the ball in his hand; just need him to a be a little more efficient of an assassin.

« Reply #134 on: January 03, 2018, 10:29:43 PM »
I’m not saying we should have won but goddamn, creighton needed a lot of shit to happen to win.

We would have won if we didn't choke during that 20-4 Creighton run.

« Reply #135 on: January 03, 2018, 10:30:28 PM »
Ponds is not the problem. He is just not a guy that is going to carry us by himself to the tourney. It is tough for someone 6-1 to be that guy. Team has too little room for error. Not sure we were going to make tourney with Lovett, but I liked the way were playing and gave us 6 legit guys.

« Reply #136 on: January 03, 2018, 10:31:34 PM »
From the three point line, Ponds seems to be shooting it flatter than last year.  Also I notice him kicking his legs kinda side-to-side instead of straight up and down.  Three point shot selection is worse than last year as well. 

He's so talented and so smooth, that he'll hit hard shots, so he'll keep on taking them.  It's a fool's gold to keep on going back to hard shots.

Essentially, the degree of difficulty is way up on his shots... that, and he's shooting it too flat.  He needs arc on it. 

He's an absolute assassin with the ball in his hand; just need him to a be a little more efficient of an assassin.

Yep. He is short on most shots. Hopefully, one big game can jump start him

goredmen

« Reply #137 on: January 03, 2018, 10:33:00 PM »

In the MAAC maybe. Not in this conference

« Reply #138 on: January 03, 2018, 10:34:56 PM »

Yep. He is short on most shots. Hopefully, one big game can jump start him

He is a volume streaky shooter because he does not have good form. Almost like a touch golfer with poor technique. He is great going to the basket and a tough rebounder. Terrible defender. But so is Simon and Ahmed. Should play zone because they are quick and have quick hands. Closeouts on three point shooters would be a disaster though.

goredmen

« Reply #139 on: January 03, 2018, 10:38:24 PM »
Here's an interesting stat from today's game:

Amar Alibegovich 12 mins played
Kassoum Yakwe 2 mins played

It is extremely disappointing that Yakwe has no role on this team after all the promise he showed as a freshman. If he's still here next year he must really love the school.