DePaul predictions

• 156 replies
Re: DePaul predictions
« Reply #100 on: January 06, 2018, 04:42:20 PM »
@ShamorieP
 25m
25 minutes ago

I AM LETTING MY TEAM DOWN!!! I HAVE TO STEP IT UP!!! I SUCK RIGHT NOW!!! ITS JUST HOW AM I GOING TO BOUNCE BACK!! #HEADHIGH
« Last Edit: January 06, 2018, 04:42:40 PM by RedStormNC »

Dan

« Reply #101 on: January 06, 2018, 04:43:42 PM »
Are we really saying Matt does nothing? U put these steering 5 guys on most well coached teams and team is no worse than 2-2. Sorry but Matt a not the issue, squarely on Mullin and in game assistants.

Agreed. Matt likely adds nothing on the bench but he brings the talent.  Saw one poster say he didn't get a big man........okay, so that's why St John's got blown out by DePaul and is 0-4 in the BE?  There's enough talent to be a middling BE team.  The coaching isn't present.

Tha Kid

« Reply #102 on: January 06, 2018, 04:43:58 PM »
Let Lovett walk at season's end (or before). Replace him with a tough NYC PG that will play every game even if at a lower level. Force Mullin to add an X's and O's coach to the staff, and send Matt A to some coaching clinics or let him go.

No on LoVett.
X & O - can't disagree with that; but let coach make his own evaluation.
Matt A - he's doing his job.

Do you watch Matt A during games? He's clueless and not involved at at all. That Italian secretary is more of a coach.

The problem is he's the only assistant doing anything at all (recruiting).  No one would have a problem with matt if we had real experienced assistants to go with him.
"I drink and I know things"

Dan

« Reply #103 on: January 06, 2018, 04:44:04 PM »
@ShamorieP
 25m
25 minutes ago

I AM LETTING MY TEAM DOWN!!! I HAVE TO STEP IT UP!!! I SUCK RIGHT NOW!!! ITS JUST HOW AM I GOING TO BOUNCE BACK!! #HEADHIGH

who cares at this point, it's annoying

Dan

« Reply #104 on: January 06, 2018, 04:45:27 PM »
Let Lovett walk at season's end (or before). Replace him with a tough NYC PG that will play every game even if at a lower level. Force Mullin to add an X's and O's coach to the staff, and send Matt A to some coaching clinics or let him go.

No on LoVett.

Do you watch Matt A during games? He's clueless and not involved at at all. That Italian secretary is more of a coach.

The problem is he's the only assistant doing anything at all (recruiting).  No one would have a problem with matt if we had real experienced assistants to go with him.

Exactly.

You know, this exact conversation regarding experienced assistants happened under Lavin.  You'd think guys who were Xs and Os deficient could acknowledge ther weaknesses in order to help the team.

« Reply #105 on: January 06, 2018, 04:45:44 PM »
@ShamorieP
 25m
25 minutes ago

who cares at this point, it's annoying

agree... words meaningless.... show up and play with head and heart

goredmen

« Reply #106 on: January 06, 2018, 04:45:57 PM »
Mullin has some tough decisions to make. He has to get rid of St.Jean and then demote Mitch back to DOBO and if he doesn't accept that get rid of him too.

Exactly!  That's my point.  He may not be fond of making those moves.  If he doesn't wanna do it and say he won't do it, then you have to send him on his way. 

Nah.....  That's "crazy talk."

I meant if Richmond didn't accept the demotion back to DOBO to get rid of him too. It's useless talking about getting rid of Mullin because that will never happen. Have to think a large portion of the older boosters and season ticket holders wouldnt be happy with the firing of Mullin and those are the only people that really matter
« Last Edit: January 06, 2018, 04:47:21 PM by goredmen »

Dan

« Reply #107 on: January 06, 2018, 04:47:25 PM »
Mullin has some tough decisions to make. He has to get rid of St.Jean and then demote Mitch back to DOBO and if he doesn't accept that get rid of him too.

Exactly!  That's my point.  He may not be fond of making those moves.  If he doesn't wanna do it and say he won't do it, then you have to send him on his way. 

I meant if Richmond didn't accept the demotion back to DOBO to get rid of him too. It's useless talking about getting rid of Mullin because that will never happen. Have to think a large portion of the older boosters and season ticket holders would be happy with the firing of Mullin and those are the only people that really matter

You have to think he could lose every BE game this year and still get one more year.

« Reply #108 on: January 06, 2018, 04:47:35 PM »
Are we really saying Matt does nothing? U put these steering 5 guys on most well coached teams and team is no worse than 2-2. Sorry but Matt a not the issue, squarely on Mullin and in game assistants.

Agreed. Matt likely adds nothing on the bench but he brings the talent.  Saw one poster say he didn't get a big man........okay, so that's why St John's got blown out by DePaul and is 0-4 in the BE?  There's enough talent to be a middling BE team.  The coaching isn't present.

The DePaul big man ate us alive, it was a major issue today. We've been soft inside since conference play and if Matt A is our only recruiter, which he is, then he gets the blame. You still got Amar playing meaningful minutes, that's a major problem and on Matt A.

And to further expand, Matt A wasted a recruiting cycle on a troubled big man from FL. It was a stupid risk that he didn't need to take and he never recovered for this season.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2018, 04:50:08 PM by SJUhoopNUT »

Marillac

« Reply #109 on: January 06, 2018, 04:49:23 PM »
Still a long way for this season, but it's likely we finish worse than last season, and now you have to wonder what the administration will do. 

Here is my idea....  It's highly likely we miss out on the NIT.  If that happens, you have to move on, considering the season's expectations. 

If they do bring him back after missing the NIT, then you force his hand and tell him he has to make changes to his staff.  He'll probably buck like a wild bronco, and resign.

So, you either fire him or force his hand, which I think will make him resign.

MJD I would be shocked if this played out. But you definitely have to ask some questions if you are Goff.

If we end the season with 3, 4 or 5 conference wins, per this season's expectations, then Goff will have to make a move. 

Again, you force him to make changes or fire him.  There's a possibility Mullin may not like the idea of his hand being forced.  So, what do you do if you're Goff, per the latter?

This is crazy talk.

So, is most of the stuff you say (whether it's true or fabricated), but that's a subject for another day.

Dude, there is always a chance a coach may not be fond of being told he needs to make changes to his staff.  So, you never know how it may turn out.

There is zero chance Mullin is even considered to be fired after this season. NONE. Even if we go winless in conference play. Maybe he is asked to add an experienced coach to the staff, but talking about firing or even his seat being warm is just not realistic or reasonable. He has five Big East players right now.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2018, 04:51:17 PM by Marillac »

« Reply #110 on: January 06, 2018, 04:50:47 PM »
Greg Joyce‏
Verified account

@GJoyce9
Follow
Follow @GJoyce9

More
Marvin Clark II: "We let them take it from us. It starts with our demeanor. They came in here and out-rebounded us, punked us." Said he's calling a team meeting tomorrow. #sjubb

Chris Mullin said he was going to see the docs after the game to find out more about Marcus LoVett. #sjubb
« Last Edit: January 06, 2018, 04:52:24 PM by RedStormNC »

goredmen

« Reply #111 on: January 06, 2018, 04:54:35 PM »

The DePaul big man ate us alive, it was a major issue today. We've been soft inside since conference play and if Matt A is our only recruiter, which he is, then he gets the blame. You still got Amar playing meaningful minutes, that's a major problem and on Matt A.

And to further expand, Matt A wasted a recruiting cycle on a troubled big man from FL. It was a stupid risk that he didn't need to take and he never recovered for this season.

Matt A is the only assistant coach in the country responsible for 100% of the team's recruiting

wpc77

« Reply #112 on: January 06, 2018, 04:55:03 PM »
Drexler-ific

TONYD3

« Reply #113 on: January 06, 2018, 04:57:36 PM »
Greg st. Jean is over his head . He has been for 3 years. I said Mitch ritchmond should be replaced last year ( earned me shit post of the year for 2016). After another beat down where we gave up 90 plus points AGAIN. These 2 individuals should be blamed. We should give our head coach who put together this staff atleast another year (haven’t checked- assume he has the worst record in big east history). He should have the opportunity to hire new coaches . So they can coach the team and recruit. Can someone explain what the head coaches duties are? Because I certainly don’t understand in this situation.

« Reply #114 on: January 06, 2018, 04:57:41 PM »

I meant if Richmond didn't accept the demotion back to DOBO to get rid of him too. It's useless talking about getting rid of Mullin because that will never happen. Have to think a large portion of the older boosters and season ticket holders wouldnt be happy with the firing of Mullin and those are the only people that really matter

I gotcha!  You still may want an African-American out on the recruiting trail.  It doesn't and shouldn't be Richmond, but bring in someone who has the chops from a recruiting and viable assistant.

Regardless, someone is gonna have to go.  All I'm saying, Mullin may not be fond of being told who he'll need to remove from his staff.  Then, you open up other potential scenarios, if that's the case.

Per usual, the off-season is gonna be interesting.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2018, 04:59:02 PM by mjdinkins »

« Reply #115 on: January 06, 2018, 04:58:18 PM »
If Matt A  is our best asst then we’re in trouble. Chris Mullin had opportunities to add a Rice or my buddy Tim O’Toole never did it.

« Reply #116 on: January 06, 2018, 05:03:15 PM »
The problem right now is effort. Hustle, boxing out, rebounding...there's no excuse for 4 guys on the other team crashing boards and us just looking at the rim from 15 feet out. I don't understand what is happening right now that this is an on going problem. How can guys play basketball at this level and not put in effort to get rebounds, or guard the 3 point line.

This is the epitome of a lost season. Sure the Lovett injury has killed us, but we were in the game for a lot of these and just blow it by doing dumb things like letting opposing teams get offensive boards consistently (Seton Hall), and not rotating properly leaving the 3 pt line open (every game).

I'm tired of every year being disappointed and let down. What the hell is it going to take? We keep saying, great players aren't going to come to SJU until we win. Well at this point it seems like we can't even get close to winning. You bring prospects to the game vs Providence and get embarrassed. You have kids watch a game like this and why in the world would they want to experience this? The fans were dead silent from the word go today. There are many things broken, and it's weighing on the fan base. At least it is on me. I'm sick and tired of this.

TONYD3

« Reply #117 on: January 06, 2018, 05:03:56 PM »
And now we are also blaming our 3rd coach (who resembles a statue during games ). Atleast tiny Morton was animated during games. St. Jean could serve a role. As can Matt. Having Chris Mullin 0 experience, st. Jean , really 0 experience, rich Mitch ritchmond 0 experience, and Matt. Shocked that it hasn’t worked.

« Reply #118 on: January 06, 2018, 05:16:31 PM »

« Reply #119 on: January 06, 2018, 05:20:38 PM »

No on LoVett.

Matt is doing what's he's paid for.  Is the team a big short this year?  Yeah, prolly. But he's got Keita, Roberts and Brooks coming next year so at least he's addressing his deficiencies.  And Slice lasted for years doing exactly what Matt does, likely with a big bag at his side.  When he tried to do more he lowered Manhattan to his level.  Mitch can do all he can do as a DOBO, shooting/skills instruction.  Give his seat to an experienced XO guy.

PS look at Patricks staff at GTown.  Louis Orr, long time head coach.  Kirby 33 year assistant and Waheed, 11 year assistant and above average recruiter.    Big difference.  And Patrick was actually a coach in the NBA as well, not just a player personnel guy.