18-19 Season

• 256 replies

QuanMan

Re: 18-19 Season
« Reply #120 on: August 11, 2018, 03:16:38 PM »
https://twitter.com/overtime/status/1028125150212972544

Shamorie putting on good muscle weight. Dropped 30 infront of a standing room only crowd last night @Dyckman. Someone please fast forward Summer.
Section 3
Section 116

Poison

« Reply #121 on: August 12, 2018, 07:37:16 PM »
I think it's a little too soon to start predicting who on this schedule will be the same team they were last year, and who will improve? Rutgers lost their point guard. IDK who else. Hard to see that game being anything other than a terrible loss.

How are Georgia Tech, VCU, Cal and Temple supposed to be this coming season? I know Cal sucked last year, but they're a program that puts a winning product on the court. Temple does as well. So if any of these teams returns to their competitive ways this pre season schedule's credit changes. Too soon to tell.

I do like the idea of playing Princeton. It can help us prepare for that backdoor cut.
We should know Butler is going to do that before they do it for once. The others, I have no idea, but I think it stinks that we've singled out what is probably the two worst locals in Wagner and St.Francis. 

Wagner was actually the NEC regular season champs last year.  Unfortunately, their top scorer (who was only a sophomore last year) decided to test his abilities at a higher level, and transferred to Richmond.  That could have been a decent game if he was back, since their second leading scorer from last year will return.

There are some games in the pre season that could turn out to be games that help us in March. Just like we could be a game that helps Georgia Tech in March. Usually, we stink. Yet there are a lot of people on this thread who seem convinced that we’re good enough to discount teams that were better than we were last year. That summer kool aid is strong.

Wagner is not one that I’m counting on. Even at their best, they are not a game that we deserve credit for adding the schedule unless we are playing them on Staten Island. And we all know that ain’t happening.

Marillac

« Reply #122 on: August 17, 2018, 09:39:50 PM »
Duke looking good in their Canadian tour. The extra practice and competition is a huge boost to their young team. Zion looks great so far but as I said about the former #1 overall pick, Anthony Bennett, "If I was an NBA GM I wouldn't touch him in the first round." He should still be a monster in college, though.

« Reply #123 on: August 18, 2018, 10:06:43 AM »
Duke looking good in their Canadian tour. The extra practice and competition is a huge boost to their young team. Zion looks great so far but as I said about the former #1 overall pick, Anthony Bennett, "If I was an NBA GM I wouldn't touch him in the first round." He should still be a monster in college, though.

I had originall thought that but starting to think nba game has changed enough where he can be effective. Really skilled
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

Marillac

« Reply #124 on: August 18, 2018, 04:27:20 PM »

I had originall thought that but starting to think nba game has changed enough where he can be effective. Really skilled

I'm not interested in skill at that size. I want rebounding, defense, and ferocity. If he can show me that I'm in. The rest is gravy. He's a top 3 pick in most mocks and some guys think he'll go #1 overall. Now RJ Barrett...kid is legit.

I feel like he's a huge injury risk. 285 jumping like that. That destroys leg bones one microscopic fracture at a time. And if he ever lands on a foot with that 285...career over.

Marillac

« Reply #125 on: August 18, 2018, 04:28:17 PM »
But I've seen enough to know he'll absolutely eat us alive.

« Reply #126 on: August 18, 2018, 09:00:09 PM »
I would like to see Zion and Marvin go at it. Don't count out Marvin!
Attack basketball, pressure defense, 40 minutes of hell ... Early on it might be 30 minutes of hell, then 10 minutes of what the hell are you doing?"

QuanMan

« Reply #127 on: August 19, 2018, 03:33:02 PM »

Agreed. Justin/RJ Barrett is a dog fight as well. Shamorie is going to take Tre Jones to school. Mustapha/Cam Reddish, LJF/Joey Baker. It is going to be a absolute grudge match in Durham come February.
Section 3
Section 116

Marillac

« Reply #128 on: August 19, 2018, 03:33:45 PM »

Marvin doesn't have it in him. Maybe under a guy like Izzo constantly keeping the fire lit under his ass but not under this staff. It's very hard to consistently transition from being a flat-footed spot-up shooter to being a force on the glass. Guys who stay in motion have a huge advantage. It's basketball's inertia.

Marillac

« Reply #129 on: August 21, 2018, 07:28:47 PM »
I'm starting to sense there might be some good news regarding Heron. Five months ago I thought it was an impossibility, but the NCAA has really softened up. I'd be ecstatic to be proven completely wrong on my original decree.

TONYD3

« Reply #130 on: August 21, 2018, 09:28:34 PM »
I'm starting to sense there might be some good news regarding Heron. Five months ago I thought it was an impossibility, but the NCAA has really softened up. I'd be ecstatic to be proven completely wrong on my original decree.
We are due for some good luck.

Johnny23

« Reply #131 on: August 21, 2018, 10:43:58 PM »
Any Mike Rice update?

Foad

« Reply #132 on: August 22, 2018, 08:32:28 AM »
Marvin doesn't have it in him. Maybe under a guy like Izzo constantly keeping the fire lit under his ass but not under this staff. It's very hard to consistently transition from being a flat-footed spot-up shooter to being a force on the glass. Guys who stay in motion have a huge advantage. It's basketball's inertia.

IDK about a force on the glass, but he was 23rd in the conference for the year at 4.7 and averaged more than 6 pg over his last 12 games as opposed to 3.5 over his first 21. An average of 6 would put him in the top 10 in the league. I certainly had the impression that he was making more of an effort in that regard during the second half of the season and also in trying to get to the basket more. I expect him to have a very nice senior year.

Poison

« Reply #133 on: August 22, 2018, 10:37:22 AM »

IDK about a force on the glass, but he was 23rd in the conference for the year at 4.7 and averaged more than 6 pg over his last 12 games as opposed to 3.5 over his first 21. An average of 6 would put him in the top 10 in the league. I certainly had the impression that he was making more of an effort in that regard during the second half of the season and also in trying to get to the basket more. I expect him to have a very nice senior year.

He absolutely improved. IMO the season hinges on what kind of senior years Clark and Simon have. When I saw Clark sitting on our bench for a year after watching us get eaten alive in the paint, I expected that he'd be a force in the paint. Instead he's a three point shooter. Didn't see that coming.

He started the season like Ron M'Vouika, and he finished it like Justin Brownlee. Well, sorta.
He's gotta work on moving his feet on d, and boxing out. He does that, he could be an honorable mention All BE player/3rd teamer. 
« Last Edit: August 22, 2018, 10:38:39 AM by Poison »

redslope

« Reply #134 on: August 22, 2018, 01:35:12 PM »

He absolutely improved. IMO the season hinges on what kind of senior years Clark and Simon have. When I saw Clark sitting on our bench for a year after watching us get eaten alive in the paint, I expected that he'd be a force in the paint. Instead he's a three point shooter. Didn't see that coming.

He started the season like Ron M'Vouika, and he finished it like Justin Brownlee. Well, sorta.
He's gotta work on moving his feet on d, and boxing out. He does that, he could be an honorable mention All BE player/3rd teamer. 
This year is Marvin's "job interview" year and his "resume" will be important for future--that will be a big motivator.  I look at him for leadership for the team.

Wods317

« Reply #135 on: August 22, 2018, 02:04:33 PM »

This year is Marvin's "job interview" year and his "resume" will be important for future--that will be a big motivator.  I look at him for leadership for the team.

Simon is a junior. He will be a huge factor this year and maybe even bigger the following year with no Clark, Ponds and possibly Heron. Clark is going to have a monster year, truly believe that.

« Reply #136 on: August 22, 2018, 11:52:15 PM »
I have a natural affinity for them that can stroke the three.  I like hammer time and look forward to a huge season for him.

Poison

« Reply #137 on: August 24, 2018, 08:58:46 AM »
I have a natural affinity for them that can stroke the three.  I like hammer time and look forward to a huge season for him.

First half of last year Marvin wasn’t so different than Avery Patterson. He was either shooting a three or running up and down the court with the bee hive. Since we now know that he can rebound, it comes down to just what kind of player he wants to be from now on. The NBA has guys at 6’11 who can shoot it as well as Marvin. I hope that his goal is to be a more complete player, and if he becomes one, who knows, he could make the league.

Johnny23

« Reply #138 on: August 24, 2018, 10:01:23 AM »

First half of last year Marvin wasn’t so different than Avery Patterson. He was either shooting a three or running up and down the court with the bee hive. Since we now know that he can rebound, it comes down to just what kind of player he wants to be from now on. The NBA has guys at 6’11 who can shoot it as well as Marvin. I hope that his goal is to be a more complete player, and if he becomes one, who knows, he could make the league.

Agree that he was a different player in Feb/March last year. If he plays with that same confidence, leadership and wants the ball the way he showed at the end of last year then he has a chance to have a nice year. It's mostly mental with Clark, he's got the goods.

« Reply #139 on: August 24, 2018, 11:01:25 AM »
First half of last year Marvin wasn’t so different than Avery Patterson.

No wonder I like him.