Seton Hall game

• 121 replies
Re: Seton Hall game
« Reply #80 on: February 24, 2018, 02:43:16 PM »
It’s not inaccurate to say Simon had a poor Game . And , why is Ahmed even seeing the ball in OT ? Clark barely touched it and too much non chalance  running down the shot clock when you are behind . Not one player on this team has a killer instinct . Ahmed and his sub 60 percent foul shooting won’t be missed . The Boner  Shot by Simon , the missed bunny by Ahmed and of course , missing front end of 1 and 1 sealed the loss . Reverting back to bad play as season draws to close . There is just not enough critical skill at all 5 positions . Owens can’t play Center in the BE , he gets abused by every opponent . Kanter, Macic , Govan , Bullock , Delgado , etc .

« Reply #81 on: February 24, 2018, 02:51:22 PM »
This team needs a lot but man do they need a pg

Agree....  Particularly, on the latter. 

Easy, people might thing your taking a shot at Simon.

That would be a shot at Ponds I guess. He 6-1 should play the point which he does fine. Another shooter and guy who can score down low would be great.

Like I’ve been tryin to say for a while. Ponds is great at playing point but we need another guy to get in lane and make plays for him and other. From the perimeter Simon is not that guy.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

« Reply #82 on: February 24, 2018, 03:13:24 PM »
I can see it has the potential to work but not a big fan of nothing but the iso Ponds play for the last 9 minutes of a game.

« Reply #83 on: February 24, 2018, 03:56:12 PM »

That would be a shot at Ponds I guess. He 6-1 should play the point which he does fine. Another shooter and guy who can score down low would be great.

Like I’ve been tryin to say for a while. Ponds is great at playing point but we need another guy to get in lane and make plays for him and other. From the perimeter Simon is not that guy.

Ponds better with the ball. Not sure what you have been watching. You want a guy to set up Ponds to do what? Another shooter would open things up for Ponds. Another wing shooter and they would have two guys you can't cheat off. Substitute Ahmed for another shooter and that makes thing much better for Ponds.
Hatten was better with the ball as well. They brought  in Ingram played Hatten off ball and we were an NIT run away from sucking.

« Reply #84 on: February 24, 2018, 04:29:53 PM »

Ponds better with the ball. Not sure what you have been watching. You want a guy to set up Ponds to do what? Another shooter would open things up for Ponds. Another wing shooter and they would have two guys you can't cheat off. Substitute Ahmed for another shooter and that makes thing much better for Ponds.
Hatten was better with the ball as well. They brought  in Ingram played Hatten off ball and we were an NIT run away from sucking.

Ponds is great on the ball. I’m not saying otherwise. BUt right now who else on the team can create a shot for him or someone else in the half court? Ahmed? Best case is he gets fouled recklessly attacking for himself. Simon? Really good vision but has no balance when attacking from the perimeter. Why is it so hard to understand this. Ponds creating for everyone in the half court for 40 minutes will wear him down. Look what chris Paul is doing for Harden.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

cjfish

« Reply #85 on: February 24, 2018, 04:43:06 PM »

Nees

Ned a guy that can get an easy basket down low. Ideally Owens goes back to coming off the bench. He gets exposed the longer he plays. He was on the ground 72 times today.

Owens needs a Kardahsian butt transplant so he can stay grounded and box out :D

« Reply #86 on: February 24, 2018, 04:52:20 PM »

Wods317

« Reply #87 on: February 24, 2018, 05:05:19 PM »
Went to the game, was a fun atnpmosphere and good game. No one other then Clark really has their A game working. Clark was everywhere on both ends. Team was spent at the end of the game. Playing with 6 is so hard to do. Depth is obviously an issue until next season

Wods317

« Reply #88 on: February 24, 2018, 05:07:43 PM »

Ned a guy that can get an easy basket down low. Ideally Owens goes back to coming off the bench. He gets exposed the longer he plays. He was on the ground 72 times today.

100%. Having to get every point on the perimeter makes it tough. No easy buckets from a big all season.

« Reply #89 on: February 24, 2018, 05:18:30 PM »
We need 12-15 or more points from Simon every game , not 8 . Yes he does other things well  but, on this team he need to score and against the SH Zone today we never worked the ball around the perimeter . Too much standing around and watching . And , just one last Mussini comment . After seeing Trimble today , calling Mussini slow is crazy .

Foad

« Reply #90 on: February 24, 2018, 05:27:06 PM »

Poison

« Reply #91 on: February 24, 2018, 06:20:44 PM »
Exciting game today. Seton Hall had an overwhelming advantage inside and once again that was why we lost. When he first started playing for us I really liked Owens, but he was so awful today we lost mainly because of him. He never bothers to get position for a rebound, and he spent the entire second half posting up and then backing down from posting up. He needs to man up.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2018, 06:25:25 PM by Poison »

Poison

« Reply #92 on: February 24, 2018, 06:22:14 PM »

Nees

Owens needs a Kardahsian butt transplant so he can stay grounded and box out :D

He doesn’t even try.

Dan

« Reply #93 on: February 24, 2018, 08:11:28 PM »
Owens looks like he has given up.  just speculating but don't think he'll be back

Foad

« Reply #94 on: February 25, 2018, 05:55:41 PM »
St John's Seton Hall recap: http://www.bigeastboards.com/

« Reply #95 on: February 25, 2018, 06:56:28 PM »
Owens looks like he has given up.  just speculating but don't think he'll be back

I've noticed his dad being more vocal in regards to his frustrations, too.  He could very well be back, but I wouldn't exactly bank on it.

ras

« Reply #96 on: February 25, 2018, 11:05:51 PM »
What good is transferring going to do Owens. He wouldn’t start on most BE teams. Got plenty of PT here and will next year. But, you never know w these kids.

thetruth8734

• SJU Alum
« Reply #97 on: February 25, 2018, 11:20:29 PM »

I've noticed his dad being more vocal in regards to his frustrations, too.  He could very well be back, but I wouldn't exactly bank on it.

His dad said "I mean one step closer to the end of season. I'm ready for this season to end emotionally drained. Tired of seeing my son work so hard and we do dumb shit."

Don't think Tariq will be back....

« Reply #98 on: February 25, 2018, 11:34:06 PM »
Seems premature to call Owens as leaving. 

It would seem a lot would depend on our ability to bring in a bigger 5th year guy and/or how many minutes Keita will be taking.

Owens will need to get bigger (that's on him) but will need to be one of the focal points vs complimentary  to help showcase himself for next level, wherever that may take him.

« Reply #99 on: February 25, 2018, 11:37:46 PM »

His dad said "I mean one step closer to the end of season. I'm ready for this season to end emotionally drained. Tired of seeing my son work so hard and we do dumb shit."

Don't think Tariq will be back....

His dad has been very, pro-St. John's throughout last season and most of this season.  He was still being pro-Johnnies during the very, early stages of the losing streak in the conference.  Probably, around game 5 or 6 in conference play is when I noticed a turn with his dad.

Per truth's recent post has been Tariq's dad tone (outside of our brief winning streak) since about midway through our 11-game losing streak and our current two-game losing streak. 

I'm not gonna absolutely say, he won't be back.  I'd just be careful penciling him in when it comes to '18-'19 roster at this moment.