Tourney Talk

• 296 replies
Re: Tourney Talk
« Reply #140 on: March 18, 2018, 11:27:15 PM »
Clemson is tearing apart Auburn by 32. Great job by Brad Brownell this year and remember they lost Donte Grantham in January arguably their best all around player.  They have most of core coming back next year sans Grantham and a good class.  They will be top 20 next year.

Brownell is a good example of sometimes patience paying off, fan base wanted him out last year.

If their fan base cared as much about basketball, as they do football, then Brownell would've been gone after last season. 

I've always liked Brownell, as his team's typically play tough, gritty ball.  They also usually play good defense, too.  He doesn't get the talent like many of his ACC brethren, so it's been somewhat tough sledding.  But, he's done a heckuva job this season per losing his best player to injury and another core player missed a few games, as well.

Good job by the home state team! 

« Reply #141 on: March 18, 2018, 11:46:40 PM »
Bluiet really blew it had 2 late turnovers and did absolutely nothing down the stretch even shying away from taking a shot late in the shot clock. Epic choke job maybe worse than Cincy. BE not looking so tough after all although I think the tourney is a real crap shoot and that Nova is best team in the country.

Marillac

« Reply #142 on: March 18, 2018, 11:59:35 PM »
The margin of error in some these games is microscopic late. It's really crazy how a season can come down to one shot or one call in a one game elimination tournament.

goredmen

« Reply #143 on: March 19, 2018, 12:01:52 AM »
And Chris Mack is no. 1 on Louisville's target list.

That is Pitt and BC waiting to happen. Xavier is definitely the better job over the next 15 years.

$$$

Marillac

« Reply #144 on: March 19, 2018, 12:10:23 AM »

That is Pitt and BC waiting to happen. Xavier is definitely the better job over the next 15 years.

$$$

Yeah, I'm sure he'll follow the $. Just is terms of gigs, though, Louisville was as much about Pitino as Memphis was about Cal. They could be irrelevant very quickly with a bad hire and/or stiff NCAA penalties.

« Reply #145 on: March 19, 2018, 08:44:27 AM »

$$$

Yeah, I'm sure he'll follow the $. Just is terms of gigs, though, Louisville was as much about Pitino as Memphis was about Cal. They could be irrelevant very quickly with a bad hire and/or stiff NCAA penalties.

Are you kidding me?  The sanctions are something to keep in mind but Louisville is not only a top 10 job but it is arguably the 5th best job in America.  If you accept the 4 Blue Blood jobs-Kentucky, Kansas, Duke and North Carolina, as generally the 4 best jobs in the country Louisville by anyone's measure is just outside that sphere.

In fact Louisville has everything: rabid fan base in a basketball crazy state, tremendous facilities including a big time arena, gobs of money and great history (before Pitino you had Crum).

Memphis?  What?  There is no one who thinks the Memphis job is comparable to Louisville.

« Reply #146 on: March 19, 2018, 09:00:12 AM »

C'mon dude even you don't believe this is remotely true?

C'mon admit it, this is one of your "SJU is a lock for the NCAA's if they win out and go 7-11" proclamations....

Marillac

« Reply #147 on: March 19, 2018, 09:58:08 AM »

C'mon dude even you don't believe this is remotely true?

C'mon admit it, this is one of your "SJU is a lock for the NCAA's if they win out and go 7-11" proclamations....

Are you a madman? We literally had this talk about Pitt three times over several years before and after Dixon left. I said it would become a terrible job and of course, you disagreed each time. You are always wrong. How do you not understand that? Here is one of those threads:  http://johnnyjungle.com/forum/index.php?topic=9975.msg253368#msg253368

Legendary coaches make programs. We've sucked since Louie retired. Memphis is not even close to the same after losing Cal, Pitt sucks after losing Dixon, and Louisville will suffer the same fate unless they make a tremendous hire. Even then there will be significant falloff. The support for UK over them is overwhelming. Pitino was literally the only coach that could have led that program to 75% of what it was under him after their Louie, Denny Crum, retired. Pitino could have done the same thing at Depaul or St. Bonaventure or here.

Louisville's only made one Elite Eight after 1986 until Pitino was hired. Even we made it in 85, 91, and 99. Temple made four in that span. Louisville, Cincy, and Memphis were nearly indistinguishable before Slick Rick. No Pitino and no Big East. No big East and then no ACC.

Tha Kid

« Reply #148 on: March 19, 2018, 10:07:34 AM »
Tha Kid is in great position to win this pool...2nd place overall currently and the ONLY one to pick Duke to win.  Kansas did NOT impress me and Cuse's guard play isn't good enough to beat Duke in the Sweet 16.  Duke-Nova semifinal is going to decide the champion this year.
"I drink and I know things"

Marillac

« Reply #149 on: March 19, 2018, 10:18:15 AM »
Tha Kid is in great position to win this pool...2nd place overall currently and the ONLY one to pick Duke to win.  Kansas did NOT impress me and Cuse's guard play isn't good enough to beat Duke in the Sweet 16.  Duke-Nova semifinal is going to decide the champion this year.

Yeah, you are looking good. More than half predictably chose Nova. Two more Duke wins and you have it wrapped up.

« Reply #150 on: March 19, 2018, 03:33:48 PM »
After the post game interview after they beat us in the QF I had no more love for Chris Mack and it was just glorious to watch his sickly looking face  breakdown as his baby angels were collapsing. What a thrill
« Last Edit: March 19, 2018, 03:34:07 PM by HowCouldUBeSoHarkless »

« Reply #151 on: March 22, 2018, 08:05:14 PM »
Michigan just on fire...

« Reply #152 on: March 23, 2018, 07:48:14 PM »
Brunson better come back

« Reply #153 on: March 23, 2018, 08:15:18 PM »
Jevon Carter is a pro

« Reply #154 on: March 23, 2018, 08:48:05 PM »
Brunson has 16 on 5/9 with one turnover. He’s the reason they are winning. On the other hand, Donte has been awful. Dominated by the pressure.

Brunson better come back

« Reply #155 on: March 23, 2018, 09:11:10 PM »
Never seen Dante play like this he is playing scared.

« Reply #156 on: March 23, 2018, 09:11:27 PM »
Brunson has 16 on 5/9 with one turnover. He’s the reason they are winning. On the other hand, Donte has been awful. Dominated by the pressure.

Brunson better come back

Losing

« Reply #157 on: March 23, 2018, 09:12:08 PM »
Never seen Dante play like this he is playing scared.

Huggins

« Reply #158 on: March 23, 2018, 09:52:50 PM »
Love how Carter competes.  But Brunson outplayed him.  Controlled the game in the second half.

« Reply #159 on: March 23, 2018, 10:03:01 PM »
Love how Carter competes.  But Brunson outplayed him.  Controlled the game in the second half.

Summed it up perfect