Tourney Talk

• 296 replies

SJUFAN

Re: Tourney Talk
« Reply #200 on: April 02, 2018, 11:13:15 AM »
Bill Self gonna make some adjustments or what?

Bill Self is the perfect example of a Coach who finds success based on the talent level of his teams and not his ability to coach. Although many point to Self's many early NCAA tourney exits, I would sign up for that here at SJU to have the success Kansas has had under Self.

« Reply #201 on: April 02, 2018, 12:44:07 PM »
Where does this myth about Bill Self not being a good coach come from?

14 big 12 titles in a row in arguably the deepest conference in the country.

In his last 21 years of coaching with Tulsa, Illinois, and now Kansas, he has finished 1st or tied for 1st in his league 18 times.   Other finishes were 2nd, 2nd, and 3rd.

I'm pretty sure everyone in the country would sign up for that success.

When you're a kid from New York and you do it in New York, that lasts forever!

goredmen

« Reply #202 on: April 02, 2018, 12:54:38 PM »
Bill Self gonna make some adjustments or what?

Bill Self is the perfect example of a Coach who finds success based on the talent level of his teams and not his ability to coach. Although many point to Self's many early NCAA tourney exits, I would sign up for that here at SJU to have the success Kansas has had under Self.

This might be the most ridiculous comment of the year so far

« Reply #203 on: April 02, 2018, 12:59:57 PM »

In his last 21 years of coaching with Tulsa, Illinois, and now Kansas, he has finished 1st or tied for 1st in his league 18 times.   Other finishes were 2nd, 2nd, and 3rd.

7 elite 8’s or further during that span.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

Johnny23

« Reply #204 on: April 02, 2018, 01:06:21 PM »
Already been said so I won't say it. But seriously? Bill Self is one of the elites. Sign up for that at St. John's? Hell, I think most would sign up for Ed Cooley's success let alone one of the greats like Self. 

Marillac

« Reply #205 on: April 02, 2018, 02:22:08 PM »
This junior Nova class has to go down as one of the best in the history of the Big east. I think they could have won it all last year with Spellman too. Wright is an amazing coach, but I don't think he'll ever have a run like the last three years again.

An amazing run no doubt but I don't see any reason why he can't continue it. He'll reload with top recruits, their system is elite and his players all buy in so I can see this being sustainable for many years.

I hope he can do it again, but it won't be easy. Brunson is literally the perfect college PG and Bridges is so athletic  that he allows Nova to hang with teams with more athleticism. They had a very good and skilled team get exposed by a superior athletic NC State team the year before Bridges and Brunson arrived. He'll always have the smart, skilled kids to dominate the regular season, but he'll need a few thoroughbred athletes as well. I predicted the early exit in 2015 due to the weak ateticism and that they would go further in 2016 even if they didn't dominate the regular season as much due the upgraded athleticism of Brunson and Bridges provided:  http://johnnyjungle.com/forum/index.php?topic=7320.msg238885#msg238885

I am a huge fan of Quinerly though.

« Reply #206 on: April 02, 2018, 04:07:03 PM »

Cept maybe for Kentucky fans and some deranged St. John's fans.  ::)

SJUFAN

« Reply #207 on: April 02, 2018, 06:58:47 PM »

7 elite 8’s or further during that span.

He is one of the elite's but I believe it's because he is a great recruiter, not a great coach. Is Cal a great coach because of his record of success, or great recruiter? Look at Lavin's success at UCLA, great coach? Did any of you read the quote by Romeo Langford on Cal?

Basically it said, "Romeo was also disappointed, apparently, by Calipari’s in-game coaching ability. When Team USA was trailing Canada in the semi-finals, Langford went into the huddle and felt like Calipari was in over his head."

I'm not taking anything away from the success these coaches have had. I'm just making the distinction of Coach vs. Recruiter. I would like us to get a great recruiter. Self is a great recruiter, and his record is indicative of that, not being a great coach.

« Reply #208 on: April 02, 2018, 07:14:38 PM »
I think Self did arguably his best coaching job this year.  If there was one year in recent memory that Kansas looked vulnerable both from a Big 12 perspective and nationally it was this year.  Consider how many times they lost at home this year and some close wins at home.  They never lost at home before.  Consider he lost his best freshman Billy Preston who decided to withdraw from school after NCAA dragged their feet clearing him.  And to still win conference regular season and Tourney, get a no. 1 seed and make Final 4 is a terrific job.

BTW Self over the last couple of years is using the transfer market more than any elite program.  He has 3 kids, the two brothers from Memphis and the kid from Cal, set for next year to be eligible and he had Malik Newman this year.  Now the thing is he goes after elite transfers.  Meaning these kids were elite high school kids.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2018, 07:15:43 PM by fordham96 »

« Reply #209 on: April 02, 2018, 09:33:17 PM »

@EvanDaniels
Houston Baptist transfer David Caraher has already heard from 18 schools, including Nevada, Oklahoma State & Tennessee, he tells @247Sports. Caraher averaged 16.2 PPG & 7.2 RPG as a freshman.

Another to keep eye on perhaps

Wrong thread...lol

NYCoffey

« Reply #210 on: April 02, 2018, 09:38:28 PM »
Has anybody  else muted this game to not have to listen to these jackasses?

paultzman

« Reply #211 on: April 02, 2018, 09:38:32 PM »

@EvanDaniels
Houston Baptist transfer David Caraher has already heard from 18 schools, including Nevada, Oklahoma State & Tennessee, he tells @247Sports. Caraher averaged 16.2 PPG & 7.2 RPG as a freshman.

Another to keep eye on perhaps

Wrong thread...lol

Be nice

Marillac

« Reply #212 on: April 02, 2018, 09:42:29 PM »
Self has top three talent at in his time at Kansas. People act like he was coaching Loyola Chicago this year.

8, 19, 22, 33, 39, 56, 65 are some of the RSCI rankings on his team this year and that doesn't include the Ukrainian kid who was a lottery pick in mock drafts before Kansas. All of those kids but one have been in college at least two years.

« Reply #213 on: April 02, 2018, 09:56:57 PM »
Self has top three talent at in his time at Kansas. People act like he was coaching Loyola Chicago this year.

8, 19, 22, 33, 39, 56, 65 are some of the RSCI rankings on his team this year and that doesn't include the Ukrainian kid who was a lottery pick in mock drafts before Kansas. All of those kids but one have been in college at least two years.
All blue blood programs have had some lean years when the wrong coach was in place. Indiana has had an extended drought, Ucla had some unsuccessful coaches, Kentucky had that guy they hired from one of the Texas schools who did poorly, NC had Matt Dougherty, point is you don't win automatically at a blue blood program and recruiting is part of being a good college coach. 14 straight titles in a tough league is unbelievable and they won the conf T in most of those years to boot. What have we won 3 conf Ts in 39 years playing all but 2-3 basically on our home court?

MCNPA

« Reply #214 on: April 02, 2018, 09:58:40 PM »
Funny how people dogged Divincenzo, but he's leading the charge for Nova in the national championship game...

« Reply #215 on: April 02, 2018, 10:01:11 PM »
Funny how people dogged Divincenzo, but he's leading the charge for Nova in the national championship game...
Some on here dog him because Baldi likes him and he's white and apparently it is racist to like a white ball player.

MCNPA

« Reply #216 on: April 02, 2018, 10:02:15 PM »
Some on here dog him because Baldi likes him and he's white and apparently it is racist to like a white ball player.

Oh I know.. but he’s good and turning the game around...

Marillac

« Reply #217 on: April 02, 2018, 10:03:34 PM »

He is great as a sixth man. He was exposed when he had to carry a bigger load with Booth and Paschal out. Gillespie went crazy in that role too.

MCNPA

« Reply #218 on: April 02, 2018, 10:11:12 PM »
Everybody is exposed when defending a guy like Ponds who isn’t even a compete player...yet.  Nova has the depth.  Bottom line is he’s still a very good player...

Marillac

« Reply #219 on: April 02, 2018, 10:17:32 PM »
Everybody is exposed when defending a guy like Ponds who isn’t even a compete player...yet.  Nova has the depth.  Bottom line is he’s still a very good player...

How is Ponds not a complete player? 🤔 Don't let WASJU b.s. shooting hypothesis sway you. Ponds is one of the best shooters in the conference...he just doesn't get shots. He will next year.