Tourney Talk

• 296 replies
Re: Tourney Talk
« Reply #240 on: April 02, 2018, 11:43:58 PM »
I said and Mike Vaccaro wrote a few weeks ago that SJU goal was to get to Villanova's level.  I think he is still right.  But Chris Mullin has to be watching tonight and say if we are to get to that level we need to get better in every facet.  Because that is the best program in America right now.

And SJU has a lot of work to do.

Unfortunately hard work apparently not a strong suit for most of the staff.

SJUFAN

« Reply #241 on: April 03, 2018, 12:14:24 AM »
Anyone who kills Trimble should look at Divincenzo’s  numbers in his 8 games as a true freshman.

That's crazy talk. Trimble is nowhere near the athlete Divincenzo is.

SJUFAN

« Reply #242 on: April 03, 2018, 12:16:32 AM »
Everybody is exposed when defending a guy like Ponds who isn’t even a compete player...yet.  Nova has the depth.  Bottom line is he’s still a very good player...

How is Ponds not a complete player? 🤔 Don't let WASJU b.s. shooting hypothesis sway you. Ponds is one of the best shooters in the conference...he just doesn't get shots. He will next year.

I said... yet.  He needs more strength, and better man-defense.  He is amazingly crafty with steals, etc, but  could always improve.  A bit better judgement on offense at times as well, but this isn’t a criticism.  Just sophomore normal stuff.  The kid is amazing...   he needs better cast and some more maturity, that’s it..

Who is a better pro prospect... Brunson vs. Ponds?

MCNPA

« Reply #243 on: April 03, 2018, 12:21:43 AM »
Everybody is exposed when defending a guy like Ponds who isn’t even a compete player...yet.  Nova has the depth.  Bottom line is he’s still a very good player...

How is Ponds not a complete player? 🤔 Don't let WASJU b.s. shooting hypothesis sway you. Ponds is one of the best shooters in the conference...he just doesn't get shots. He will next year.

I said... yet.  He needs more strength, and better man-defense.  He is amazingly crafty with steals, etc, but  could always improve.  A bit better judgement on offense at times as well, but this isn’t a criticism.  Just sophomore normal stuff.  The kid is amazing...   he needs better cast and some more maturity, that’s it..

I’m no scout.. I think Divincenzo’s size is great.  He doesn’t compare to Ponds breaking people down.   Ponds is so adept at that, Duke nor Nova could come close to stopping him.  Ponds is small though.  Truthfully I could care less.  I hope Ponds is a worse prospect so he continues to play at SJU...

« Reply #244 on: April 03, 2018, 12:26:07 AM »
Nova has great talent, but what has made Jay's teams so tough recently is that they have 5 or 6 guys who can make shots.  It's easy to play unselfish when one guy doesn't feel the need to do it all.  Donte played hideous in the West Virginia game - he was a deer in headlights who looked scared to bring the ball up the floor.  But when you have Brunson, Bridges, Booth, Spellman and Paschall you can survive games when a player or two isn't up to par.

Marillac

« Reply #245 on: April 03, 2018, 01:44:27 AM »
Nova has great talent, but what has made Jay's teams so tough recently is that they have 5 or 6 guys who can make shots.  It's easy to play unselfish when one guy doesn't feel the need to do it all.  Donte played hideous in the West Virginia game - he was a deer in headlights who looked scared to bring the ball up the floor.  But when you have Brunson, Bridges, Booth, Spellman and Paschall you can survive games when a player or two isn't up to par.

They always have guys who can make shots. What sets this team apart from his other teams is the athletic ability at all three levels with Brunson, Bridges, and Spellman. One of the hardest things to do is to get a kid like Brunson:  Skilled as hell, athletic, but not so athletic to leave after a year or two.

« Reply #246 on: April 03, 2018, 08:15:14 AM »
Diivenceno is betteri thN Ponds

You're comparing the 3rd leading scorer on the best team in the country, who you can't overplay or double team,  to the only player on the worst team in the conference, who is always swarm defended.
Try to look at them objectively (which you certainly can't), imagine they both play for Iona, and imagine they are both African American.
Now, wait 15 seconds.
Who's better?
Fire Mullin.

« Reply #247 on: April 03, 2018, 09:40:49 AM »
Anyone who kills Trimble should look at Divincenzo’s  numbers in his 8 games as a true freshman.

As a freshman, 28% from the field, 17% from 3, 1.9 points per game. We would all be hoping he would transfer with those numbers.

« Reply #248 on: April 03, 2018, 09:45:24 AM »
DiVincenzo is a stud. Not as good as Ponds but still damn good. With booth able to set him up next year I think he’ll get close to 20 a night. Surprised marillac isn’t raving about his offensive rebounding. If they only lose Brunson and bridges they will be a top 10 team again next year.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

Foad

« Reply #249 on: April 03, 2018, 09:46:54 AM »

You're comparing the 3rd leading scorer on the best team in the country, who you can't overplay or double team,  to the only player on the worst team in the conference, who is always swarm defended.
Try to look at them objectively (which you certainly can't), imagine they both play for Iona, and imagine they are both African American.
Now, wait 15 seconds.
Who's better?

He doesn't like DDV because he's white you old dope, he's likes him because he's an eye tie. They're barely white.

Now, close your eyes. Imagine your head isn't up your ass. Now wait 15 seconds. Open your eyes. How many polyps do you see?

« Reply #250 on: April 03, 2018, 10:42:24 AM »

Now, wait 15 seconds.
Who's better?

He doesn't like DDV because he's white you old dope, he's likes him because he's an eye tie. They're barely white.

Now, close your eyes. Imagine your head isn't up your ass. Now wait 15 seconds. Open your eyes. How many polyps do you see?

Yes. I like my men Italian and who drop 31 in a meaningful game

Foad

« Reply #251 on: April 03, 2018, 11:00:43 AM »

Now, wait 15 seconds.
Who's better?

IIRC the Magic 8 Baldi  posited that the sophomore Missini was going to be better at basketball than the freshmen Ponds and Lovett. If that's not a by-product of tribalism it belies a woeful ignorance of the relative worth of basketball players, which woeful ignorance I do not accuse you of.

« Reply #252 on: April 03, 2018, 11:47:26 AM »
Broke his foot on Dec 18 of that season not to mention he was a true freshmen on an NCAA national championship team which I'm sure was a lot deeper than our 6 man squad which included Trimble.

« Reply #253 on: April 03, 2018, 11:56:19 AM »
Played great.  He also was embarrassing against West Virginia.  Playing as a fifth option much easier to do than the first option - Jay Wright said it during the halftime piece last night.

Now, wait 15 seconds.
Who's better?

goredmen

« Reply #254 on: April 03, 2018, 12:03:47 PM »
Has nobody realized that Baldi's entire shtick is to be the Skip Bayless of this board? He says either completely stupid stuff that he probably doesn't actually believe or obviously false rumors just to get a rise out of everyone and you guys bite every time. He's fairly good at it, I'll give him that.

SJUFAN

« Reply #255 on: April 03, 2018, 12:05:41 PM »

As a freshman, 28% from the field, 17% from 3, 1.9 points per game. We would all be hoping he would transfer with those numbers.

Wait...are you serious? Do you believe Trimble is as good as Divincenzo because their stats were similar as freshmen? This is what I mean when I say delusional fan base. Stats aside, if you look at their athleticism and overall skill set, they are not in the same class.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2018, 12:08:30 PM by SJUFAN »

« Reply #256 on: April 03, 2018, 12:07:31 PM »

Kid scores 31 in championship game and people have to compare him to Ponds? (realize it was Baldi who started this). Unfortunately St. John's isn't part of this. People bringing up another game saying he was bad well he was 4-8 in that game and as far as ball handling up the court he is not supposed to be a point guard. But carry on bad mouthing other teams, coaches and programs in an attempt to make our downtrodden program look good. (Not aimed at any posters in particular but a general statement regarding a situation that happens all to often).

SJUFAN

« Reply #257 on: April 03, 2018, 12:12:34 PM »

I’m no scout.. I think Divincenzo’s size is great.  He doesn’t compare to Ponds breaking people down.   Ponds is so adept at that, Duke nor Nova could come close to stopping him.  Ponds is small though.  Truthfully I could care less.  I hope Ponds is a worse prospect so he continues to play at SJU...

I'm not asking about Divincenzos.. I'm asking you to compare Brunson to Ponds. Who do you believe is the better point guard?   

Marillac

« Reply #258 on: April 03, 2018, 12:31:32 PM »

Wait...are you serious? Do you believe Trimble is as good as Divincenzo because their stats were similar as freshmen? This is what I mean when I say delusional fan base. Stats aside, if you look at their athleticism and overall skill set, they are not in the same class.
Trimble is a better athlete. DD is bigger and much more skilled. Trimble's vertical and dunking ability are absurd even if he didn't have the skill (handle) to show it.  Given a choice between the two, I'd obviously take DD. Comparing DD to Ponds is just silly. DD is never double-teamed. He can't be marked as a shooter because everyone can shoot on Nova. That role he plays for them is always dangerous. Booth scored 20 in the national championship game and Gillespie went off in it as  well. I think Gillespie is being grossly undervalued by some of posters infatuated with DD. The kid plays much better on-ball defense, he's quick, can handle and shoot, and his confidence is so high already as a freshman that it borders on arrogance.

I respect skill so I'd take DD on St. John's above everyone but Ponds.

Marillac

« Reply #259 on: April 03, 2018, 12:39:20 PM »
I think Spellman, Bridges, and Brunson are all goners. Spellman looked like a definite NBA player the last month. Looks like Nova will be playing small next year.

Quonerlybis a very impressive player. More athletic than Brunson and good skill level too -- although not out of this world like Brunson. I think they are a Sweet Sixteen team next year, but mortal again.