Owens Leaving

• 545 replies

QuanMan

Re: Owens Leaving
« Reply #220 on: March 19, 2018, 09:26:57 PM »
If he's around the program and teammates for the next 1.5 months and walks on graduation day you have to figure we have a puncher's chance of him staying.
Section 3
Section 116

goredmen

« Reply #221 on: March 19, 2018, 09:54:49 PM »
T.O. is a good kid.Im hearing there is a lack of trust somewhere within,also lack of team discipline,or leadershp from Staff.Again this s rumors coming from teammates/friends.Heard the kid just wanted to explore,yet certain media were informed from Staff, that he he did not ask for release.This is what pissed dad off we are told.I love this kid attitude,wish he stay,yet the rumors surrounding the decision doesnt sound  positive.Thoughts?

wish he would stay too, hopefully he realizes a high major program isn't going to give him any more minutes than st. john's.  Can't keep transferring because you don't like what's happening. 
It comes to a point where you have to look within and maybe that's the problem.

A high major program that wants a stretch 4 for one season will. He’s not going to North Carolina, but don’t you think the bottom half of conference’s like the ACC would take him?

I'm confused by the guys calling him a stretch 4. He made 12 3s the entire season. He attempted 37 3s and just about every single one of them was a wide open one because nobody respects his shot enough to go out there and contest it. The only reason he was allowed to shoot that many 3s is because this staff lets him for some reason. There isn't a staff at the high major level with legit expectations next year that will allow him to shoot those shots next year unless he improves it by leaps and bounds.

That said, he'd obviously be a key piece next year unless by some miracle the staff lands 2 grad transfer bigs. But if his return is dependent on being allowed to shoot more jump shots then he'd do more harm than good.

« Reply #222 on: March 19, 2018, 10:03:25 PM »
T.O. is a good kid.Im hearing there is a lack of trust somewhere within,also lack of team discipline,or leadershp from Staff.Again this s rumors coming from teammates/friends.Heard the kid just wanted to explore,yet certain media were informed from Staff, that he he did not ask for release.This is what pissed dad off we are told.I love this kid attitude,wish he stay,yet the rumors surrounding the decision doesnt sound  positive.Thoughts?

wish he would stay too, hopefully he realizes a high major program isn't going to give him any more minutes than st. john's.  Can't keep transferring because you don't like what's happening. 

A high major program that wants a stretch 4 for one season will. He’s not going to North Carolina, but don’t you think the bottom half of conference’s like the ACC would take him?

I'm confused by the guys calling him a stretch 4. He made 12 3s the entire season. He attempted 37 3s and just about every single one of them was a wide open one because nobody respects his shot enough to go out there and contest it. The only reason he was allowed to shoot that many 3s is because this staff lets him for some reason. There isn't a staff at the high major level with legit expectations next year that will allow him to shoot those shots next year unless he improves it by leaps and bounds.

That said, he'd obviously be a key piece next year unless by some miracle the staff lands 2 grad transfer bigs. But if his return is dependent on being allowed to shoot more jump shots then he'd do more harm than good.

He's only a key piece because of the lack of depth upfront due to the mediocre recruiting.  He is absolutely replaceable but again the team was so thin and unfortunately is not bringing in, at least not yet, any difference makers upfront which makes his departure that much more impactful. 

MCNPA

« Reply #223 on: March 19, 2018, 10:10:27 PM »
Agree, Owens is not a stretch 4 by any means.  He’s a PF/C  with no back to basket game.  He will be missed for his athleticism, length and ability to block shots.  The new guys might be able to do that as well, but it’s an unknown for us.  I think the kid’s father is dumb for making him change schools again.  He won’t get more minutes nor more green light to shoot that here.  “Business decision” either means that camp is really dumb or is taking money from a suitor to move on ala Sima..  Look how well it worked out for Malik Ellison!  The kid will be missed on the court, but isn’t gonna find something better in my estimation...

goredmen

« Reply #224 on: March 19, 2018, 10:16:27 PM »

He's only a key piece because of the lack of depth upfront due to the mediocre recruiting.  He is absolutely replaceable but again the team was so thin and unfortunately is not bringing in, at least not yet, any difference makers upfront which makes his departure that much more impactful. 

I agree. The micro look at it is that yes, he's a key piece because we don't really have any other size ready to play other than Keita right now. If we get one grad transfer big then the loss still hurts but maybe it can be overcome by playing some small ball here and there. If some miracle occurs and the staff finds two immediately eligible bigs to come in whether by grad transfer, JUCO, a decommitted recruit or whatever, then losing Owens doesn't hurt at all.

Big picture view is that the staff has invested 3 years in Owens including one where he wasn't eligible. With his projected minutes, no reason to believe he'd see a diminished role next year and the team supposed to be poised to make a jump next year him leaving is very troubling.

« Reply #225 on: March 19, 2018, 10:51:07 PM »

the thing is and yeah I dont think anyone is overestimating his ability but last year was the first year he even shot 3's the year before he was 0 for 2 or something like that. He had a better 3% than trimble and a shade behind Bashir. I doubt anyone want him camping out on behind the arc like he did this year at times but hypothetically being that this is the first year he even attempted 3's whether open or not it's not unreasonable to think if he works on it he could improve on his numbers. I dont think anyone thinks he's going to average 15 ppg next year but of Keita can play the 5 it's not unreasonable to think the stretch 4 would be a more natural position for Owens and possible even beneficial to the team. The guy is 6 ft 11 and his form isn't that bad actually and he is quick so a traditional 4 can have a hard time following him or at least he can tire him out since we know he has good stamina. He definitely isn't a 3 but a stretch 4 isn't out of the question especially if he works on it even more this offseason

goredmen

« Reply #226 on: March 19, 2018, 11:17:31 PM »

the thing is and yeah I dont think anyone is overestimating his ability but last year was the first year he even shot 3's the year before he was 0 for 2 or something like that. He had a better 3% than trimble and a shade behind Bashir. I doubt anyone want him camping out on behind the arc like he did this year at times but hypothetically being that this is the first year he even attempted 3's whether open or not it's not unreasonable to think if he works on it he could improve on his numbers. I dont think anyone thinks he's going to average 15 ppg next year but of Keita can play the 5 it's not unreasonable to think the stretch 4 would be a more natural position for Owens and possible even beneficial to the team. The guy is 6 ft 11 and his form isn't that bad actually and he is quick so a traditional 4 can have a hard time following him or at least he can tire him out since we know he has good stamina. He definitely isn't a 3 but a stretch 4 isn't out of the question especially if he works on it even more this offseason

I mean I guess it's well within the realm of possibility that he can improve his shot this offseason but he would have to by an awful lot for him to become a true stretch 4. He had a below average 3P% despite being left open constantly and even his 2P% when shooting jump shots was well below average. http://hoop-math.com/St.John's(NY)2018.php

I admit it could just be that I'm prejudiced against 6-11 guys that want suddenly try and shoot jumpers. I think Owens should try to be a super-lite version of what Robert Williams is at Texas A&M. A long, lanky, athletic kid that uses that size to rebound, block shots and can score around the basket. If there is anything that Owens should work on this offseason it's catching the ball on the left block with his back to the basket, taking a quick dribble into the lane and elevating and shooting over his left shoulder. With his height and long arms there are very few guys who would be able to alter that shot. 

« Reply #227 on: March 19, 2018, 11:20:57 PM »

I mean I guess it's well within the realm of possibility that he can improve his shot this offseason but he would have to by an awful lot for him to become a true stretch 4. He had a below average 3P% despite being left open constantly and even his 2P% when shooting jump shots was well below average. http://hoop-math.com/St.John's(NY)2018.php

I admit it could just be that I'm prejudiced against 6-11 guys that want suddenly try and shoot jumpers. I think Owens should try to be a super-lite version of what Robert Williams is at Texas A&M. A long, lanky, athletic kid that uses that size to rebound, block shots and can score around the basket. If there is anything that Owens should work on this offseason it's catching the ball on the left block with his back to the basket, taking a quick dribble into the lane and elevating and shooting over his left shoulder. With his height and long arms there are very few guys who would be able to alter that shot. 

trust me I was freaking out at games when he was parked outside and no-one was down low rebounding. LOL I was going f'ing nuts. I just think with Keita down low while Owens is far from a natural it could be a position he could grow in to since he definitely isn't a natural 5 either with that weight

Marillac

« Reply #228 on: March 19, 2018, 11:26:13 PM »

A stretch four?! Lol. What does he stretch exactly? When did he ever face up in the high post and take his man off the dribble or jab step and hit a jumper? He takes carchband shoot jumpers and every single time all knowledgeable fans think or yell "no!" 

He's a terrific first big man off the bench for us or second big man off the bench for a slightly better team.  He hustles his butt off and has a great motor. He also got good at diving to the basket after screens and scoring on the move. That's his value. He has no offensive skills because his trainer has him working on ball handling and shooting jumpers like that holding him back. Ponds has better post up moves at 6'1. He's not good enough to pull this crap. He's not good enough to cater to.

I'd like to have him back for continuity and depth, but he could destroy this team if he pulls the same crap Jermaine Lawrence did.

Poison

« Reply #229 on: March 20, 2018, 01:25:28 AM »

A stretch four?! Lol. What does he stretch exactly? When did he ever face up in the high post and take his man off the dribble or jab step and hit a jumper? He takes carchband shoot jumpers and every single time all knowledgeable fans think or yell "no!" 

He's a terrific first big man off the bench for us or second big man off the bench for a slightly better team.  He hustles his butt off and has a great motor. He also got good at diving to the basket after screens and scoring on the move. That's his value. He has no offensive skills because his trainer has him working on ball handling and shooting jumpers like that holding him back. Ponds has better post up moves at 6'1. He's not good enough to pull this crap. He's not good enough to cater to.

I'd like to have him back for continuity and depth, but he could destroy this team if he pulls the same crap Jermaine Lawrence did.

I think he could improve his 3 point shot. I know he wasn’t reliable out there, but I think if he continues to work at it, his jumper will improve. Owens has no post up game. We can all see that. He’s not a tough guy. I don’t see him fighting for position. He’s a long way from being a center because he’s so incomplete. That means he’s more valuable facing the basket than playing with his back to it.

Marillac

« Reply #230 on: March 20, 2018, 01:38:00 AM »

I think he could improve his 3 point shot. I know he wasn’t reliable out there, but I think if he continues to work at it, his jumper will improve. Owens has no post up game. We can all see that. He’s not a tough guy. I don’t see him fighting for position. He’s a long way from being a center because he’s so incomplete. That means he’s more valuable facing the basket than playing with his back to it.

What you're saying makes no sense. You don't let unskilled kids play away from the basket. Perimeter skills are exponentially harder to pickup. What is the benefit of him out there? Ponds,
Clark, and Dixon are better shooters, dribblers and passers. How are you going to space
the court with a center on the perimeter that isn't a threat?

Pick and roll or pick and pop, ok, but then get your arse in the post. The kid has absolutely no feel for the perimeter. How many errant backdoor passes did he turnoner and then three his hands up like the cutter messed up?

Face up four. Hahahaha that's a good one!

Poison

« Reply #231 on: March 20, 2018, 01:55:36 AM »

What you're saying makes no sense. You don't let unskilled kids play away from the basket. Perimeter skills are exponentially harder to pickup. What is the benefit of him out there? Ponds,
Clark, and Dixon are better shooters, dribblers and passers. How are you going to space
the court with a center on the perimeter that isn't a threat?

Pick and roll or pick and pop, ok, but then get your arse in the post. The kid has absolutely no feel for the perimeter. How many errant backdoor passes did he turnoner and then three his hands up like the cutter messed up?

Face up four. Hahahaha that's a good one!

I didn’t field this team. The staff let an unskilled player play away from the basket when they had no choice. Is it a good idea to have Owens shooting threes? No. But when you have 5 maybe 6 capable BE players, you’re in desperation mode.

« Reply #232 on: March 20, 2018, 09:27:27 AM »
You seem to hate the complainng, which I understand in some way. But what should be posted.

It's not the complaining per se. It's the dreary boring complaining. Imagine that this was a forum about potatoes and every day I sat on the toilet shitting making a dozen posts about how bad the potatoes taste and how much I don't like potatoes. No potato jokes, nothing about rice or quinoa, just constant complaints about potatoes and how much I don't like the way potatoes taste and the way they're prepared. You'd want to hang yourself. Well, not you, but a person of average intelligence. It's dreary and horrible and especially because nobody likes the potatoes. If there were people here saying oh god these are the most delicious potatoes I ever ate and Chris Mullin is the most amazing potato chef god ever created that'd be one thing. But everyone agrees the potatoes are rancid. No one thinks the potatoes taste good. You're the only one who thinks your opinion about how bad the potatoes taste is interesting a dozen times a day.

Exactly!
Maybe throw in a post about your top 10 potato based things.
1. French Fries
2. Baked
3. Mashed
4. Au Gratin
5. The Knish
6. Hash Browns
7. Croquet
8.Pancakes
9. Rolls
10. Soup

And if you get bored you can even make further lists.
French Fries go best with
1. Gravy
2. Cheese
3. Ketchup

But anyway potatoes are great! I grew up with Potatoes and frankly anyone who hates potatoes is dumb!

Foad

« Reply #233 on: March 20, 2018, 10:14:45 AM »
1. French Fries
2. Baked
3. Mashed
4. Au Gratin
5. The Knish
6. Hash Browns
7. Croquet
8.Pancakes
9. Rolls
10. Soup

1. Gravy
2. Cheese
3. Ketchup

But anyway potatoes are great! I grew up with Potatoes and frankly anyone who hates potatoes is dumb!

Knish is way too low in that list and you omitted shepherd's pie.

« Reply #234 on: March 20, 2018, 10:47:33 AM »
1. French Fries
2. Baked
3. Mashed
4. Au Gratin
5. The Knish
6. Hash Browns
7. Croquet
8.Pancakes
9. Rolls
10. Soup

1. Gravy
2. Cheese
3. Ketchup

I agree probably seeded knish too low. An honestly IMO the mashed potato is overrated. It is the Virginia of Potatoes.  I also somehow left out the twice baked potato of which I am a big fan.
I like shepherd's pie as much as the next guy but potato is only one part of it. So it was not eligible.

cjfish

« Reply #235 on: March 20, 2018, 10:58:36 AM »
1. French Fries
2. Baked
3. Mashed
4. Au Gratin
5. The Knish
6. Hash Browns
7. Croquet
8.Pancakes
9. Rolls
10. Soup

1. Gravy
2. Cheese
3. Ketchup

I agree probably seeded knish too low. An honestly IMO the mashed potato is overrated. It is the Virginia of Potatoes.  I also somehow left out the twice baked potato of which I am a big fan.
I like shepherd's pie as much as the next guy but potato is only one part of it. So it was not eligible.

Knish rules
« Last Edit: March 20, 2018, 10:59:15 AM by cjfish »

Tha Kid

« Reply #236 on: March 20, 2018, 11:38:11 AM »
You seem to hate the complainng, which I understand in some way. But what should be posted.

It's not the complaining per se. It's the dreary boring complaining. Imagine that this was a forum about potatoes and every day I sat on the toilet shitting making a dozen posts about how bad the potatoes taste and how much I don't like potatoes. No potato jokes, nothing about rice or quinoa, just constant complaints about potatoes and how much I don't like the way potatoes taste and the way they're prepared. You'd want to hang yourself. Well, not you, but a person of average intelligence. It's dreary and horrible and especially because nobody likes the potatoes. If there were people here saying oh god these are the most delicious potatoes I ever ate and Chris Mullin is the most amazing potato chef god ever created that'd be one thing. But everyone agrees the potatoes are rancid. No one thinks the potatoes taste good. You're the only one who thinks your opinion about how bad the potatoes taste is interesting a dozen times a day.

Exactly!
1. French Fries
2. Baked
3. Mashed
4. Au Gratin
5. The Knish
6. Hash Browns
7. Croquet
8.Pancakes
9. Rolls
10. Soup

1. Gravy
2. Cheese
3. Ketchup

How can you leave out Tater Tots?  Potato Cones (fried mashed potato balls)?  Do we throw gnocchi in there?  Loaded Baked Potato?  There is a lot of additional ground to cover....Potato chips (homemade) or cottage fries....
« Last Edit: March 20, 2018, 11:39:32 AM by Tha Kid »
"I drink and I know things"

redslope

« Reply #237 on: March 20, 2018, 12:06:11 PM »

Exactly!
1. French Fries
2. Baked
3. Mashed
4. Au Gratin
5. The Knish
6. Hash Browns
7. Croquet
8.Pancakes
9. Rolls
10. Soup

1. Gravy
2. Cheese
3. Ketchup

How can you leave out Tater Tots?  Potato Cones (fried mashed potato balls)?  Do we throw gnocchi in there?  Loaded Baked Potato?  There is a lot of additional ground to cover....Potato chips (homemade) or cottage fries....

Finally an intelligent discussion about a truly meaningful matter.  Agree on the esteemed tater tots.  How about that old standby which combines the Holy Potato with another food staple==the potato doughnuts-deep fried and covered in cinnamon sugar.

« Reply #238 on: March 20, 2018, 12:16:51 PM »
Pierogies are pretty good too

« Reply #239 on: March 20, 2018, 12:29:47 PM »
Does anyone think that he’s considering transferring because Sedee has been playing better than him at practices and he’s afraid of being put on a similar status as what happened to Yakwe?