Owens Leaving

• 545 replies

ras

Re: Owens Leaving
« Reply #260 on: March 20, 2018, 04:50:00 PM »
http://www.espn.com/colleges/basketball/recruiting/school/_/id/120/class/2018
They have a 5 star PF coming in and the # 38 overall recruit as a 3. Good luck Tariq.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2018, 04:52:48 PM by ras »

paultzman

« Reply #261 on: March 20, 2018, 04:50:36 PM »
8-10 yes.

Wants more

Md. offering  him two guard spot, but dad wants to know how many touches. 😏

« Reply #262 on: March 20, 2018, 05:40:28 PM »
You seem to hate the complainng, which I understand in some way. But what should be posted.

It's not the complaining per se. It's the dreary boring complaining. Imagine that this was a forum about potatoes and every day I sat on the toilet shitting making a dozen posts about how bad the potatoes taste and how much I don't like potatoes. No potato jokes, nothing about rice or quinoa, just constant complaints about potatoes and how much I don't like the way potatoes taste and the way they're prepared. You'd want to hang yourself. Well, not you, but a person of average intelligence. It's dreary and horrible and especially because nobody likes the potatoes. If there were people here saying oh god these are the most delicious potatoes I ever ate and Chris Mullin is the most amazing potato chef god ever created that'd be one thing. But everyone agrees the potatoes are rancid. No one thinks the potatoes taste good. You're the only one who thinks your opinion about how bad the potatoes taste is interesting a dozen times a day.

Exactly!
Maybe throw in a post about your top 10 potato based things.
1. French Fries
2. Baked
3. Mashed
4. Au Gratin
5. The Knish
6. Hash Browns
7. Croquet
8.Pancakes
9. Rolls
10. Soup

And if you get bored you can even make further lists.
French Fries go best with
1. Gravy
2. Cheese
3. Ketchup

But anyway potatoes are great! I grew up with Potatoes and frankly anyone who hates potatoes is dumb!
Very disappoint lineup order

How can anyone not have potato rolls at #6. They are the 6th man award on a basketball team. They work well under any circumstance. Hot Dogs, Cheeseburgers, plain with melted butter or even better with lobster stuffed in it with melted butter on top.

#1 Tater Tots. Going back to grade school when it was Tater Tot Tuesdays and after everyone was served you ran back on line if there were extras. I like my Tots like I like my Tits. Nice and Soft

#2 Hash Browns. Going back to my high school days Morning Hash Browns hungover at Mcdonalds with a Sausage and Egg McMuffin or at Burger King with a Bacon and Egg Croissandwich is the perfect accompaniment. Kind of like #2  guard with a great point guard

#3 Knish. The Nedav Henefield of Potatoes

#4 Au Gratin-I'm old school. I want a traditional #4 Power Potato.

#5 Garlic Mashed Potatoes. This is the Moses Malone of Potatoes. Once they get position in your stomach they arent moving

#7 Pierogi- What great potato team doesn't have a White inside -slightly golden outside European flavor

#8 Gnocchi-The Mussini of Potatoes.

#9 French Fries-Kind of like SJU basketball. With some bronx pale ales everything is fine but once the buzz wears off I start thinking WTF was that

#10 Home Fries.- like a end of rotation guy home fries need no preparation and can be used in any circumstance

#11 Potato Bravas-not household name but oh man so #$%^ing solid. The Gasol of potatoes in the U.S
« Last Edit: March 20, 2018, 05:43:34 PM by mjmaherjr »

Wods317

« Reply #263 on: March 20, 2018, 06:12:19 PM »
This is a problem across college basketball. If Owens want to go somewhere and play the perimeter that’s his prerogative. I get that it’s a loss but almost every program in college basketball has these issues. Hopefully they get someone to replace him with a grad transfer big or we will be thin up front. I want kids on the team who want to be here.

Marillac

« Reply #264 on: March 20, 2018, 06:57:51 PM »
I'll bet the coaches will be lining up to talk to an unskilled 6'11 center that wants to play SF whose father makes decisions for him and readily tweets his malcontent. Coaches love negotiating and receiving ongoing input from unrealistic parents.

Dan

« Reply #265 on: March 20, 2018, 07:11:00 PM »
T.O. is a good kid.Im hearing there is a lack of trust somewhere within,also lack of team discipline,or leadershp from Staff.Again this s rumors coming from teammates/friends.Heard the kid just wanted to explore,yet certain media were informed from Staff, that he he did not ask for release.This is what pissed dad off we are told.I love this kid attitude,wish he stay,yet the rumors surrounding the decision doesnt sound  positive.Thoughts?

wish he would stay too, hopefully he realizes a high major program isn't going to give him any more minutes than st. john's.  Can't keep transferring because you don't like what's happening. 
It comes to a point where you have to look within and maybe that's the problem.

A high major program that wants a stretch 4 for one season will. He’s not going to North Carolina, but don’t you think the bottom half of conference’s like the ACC would take him?

We are at the bottom half of a conference as well - why make a lateral move

MCNPA

« Reply #266 on: March 20, 2018, 08:16:49 PM »
He should take a careful look at his situation.  It won’t get better at other places unless he goes to a low major school.  He got a ton of minutes here and was allowed to do more than he should.  Take a look what Yankuba Sima is doing at OK state... he’s getting almost half the minutes he did here and is commensurately less than half as productive.

« Reply #267 on: March 20, 2018, 08:18:15 PM »
Tariq and his father are out of their minds. 

The only limitation on his minutes were his unnatural propensity for committing fouls.  He would have played 40 per otherwise.  Watch him transfer somewhere to play less against worse competition with less exposure and put up worse numbers. 

I fear it's my fault he's leaving.  Lovett was my mfp but left with the labia injury.  Then picked Tariq as my mfp because I liked how he hustles.  I wanted Garfunkel but for some reason Wasju wasn't comfortable with me sharing a fav with him.

Won't have a favorite player next year.

P.S.
Potatoe are a staple of my high carb, low fat, high alcohol diet. I love the twice baked!
« Last Edit: March 20, 2018, 08:23:46 PM by carmineabbatiello »

Poison

« Reply #268 on: March 20, 2018, 10:08:19 PM »
T.O. is a good kid.Im hearing there is a lack of trust somewhere within,also lack of team discipline,or leadershp from Staff.Again this s rumors coming from teammates/friends.Heard the kid just wanted to explore,yet certain media were informed from Staff, that he he did not ask for release.This is what pissed dad off we are told.I love this kid attitude,wish he stay,yet the rumors surrounding the decision doesnt sound  positive.Thoughts?

wish he would stay too, hopefully he realizes a high major program isn't going to give him any more minutes than st. john's.  Can't keep transferring because you don't like what's happening. 
It comes to a point where you have to look within and maybe that's the problem.

A high major program that wants a stretch 4 for one season will. He’s not going to North Carolina, but don’t you think the bottom half of conference’s like the ACC would take him?

We are at the bottom half of a conference as well - why make a lateral move

I agree with that. Couple of possibilities...

His dad has decided that Mullin is clueless, and that it’s not getting any better. Whether or not his in game coaching should have been much better is debateable, but roster management was about as bad as anyone’s in D1.

Another reason to leave might be to get a grad degree from Georgia Tech or Wake Forest. Frankly, and I doubt this is the case, but if he wanted to go somewhere else just for the experience, he’s allowed to.

goredmen

« Reply #270 on: March 20, 2018, 11:42:31 PM »
Man would he be stupid to go to Maryland if he wants more shots. They have Bruno Fernando at the 5 who is a future NBA player, a really good PF recruit coming in, Justin Jackson might be their best player and he was hurt pretty much this whole season, Kevin Huerter who is a really good shooter and good college player and Anthony Cowen who takes his fair share of shots for a pass-first PG.

Johnny23

« Reply #271 on: March 21, 2018, 04:44:13 AM »
“Tariq is probably our most important player. The only reason I take him off the bench is because he can play any position,” coach Chris Mullin told the New York Post. “He can go in [as a sub] and our lineup is fine.”

Foot meet mouth, CM.

« Reply #272 on: March 21, 2018, 09:53:02 AM »
Above article is extremely telling - TO will likely come off the bench at Maryland.

TO (personally I enjoy his energy , enthusiasm etc) - best be careful as the grass is not always greener regardless of what they may be selling.

« Reply #273 on: March 21, 2018, 09:55:54 AM »
Always suspected part of this had to be the dad wanting to be able to go to more games. This is a risky move for Owens, I'm not sure why he thinks he'll be able to showcase his talent more there.

As a lot of us have been saying, it hurts but he's not irreplaceable. It really depends how we play the transfer game and late signing period.

TONYD3

« Reply #274 on: March 21, 2018, 11:36:51 AM »
Kids dream the their entire lives to play big time college basketball. We had a PG who went through off season workouts and the pre season just decide to QUIT! Playing 19 big east game on national TV wasn't for him. Playing Duke in a sold out garden wasn't for him. Playing in the big east tournament wasn't for him possibly in the NCAA' s wasn't for him.

We had a 2 year transfer player. Kid hustled and tried. Played 30 minutes a game. Took plenty of shots. Now he is quitting. You guys watched him, was he selfish? 

PG was blamed for this season. Still hasn't been replaced. Owen's with all his faults was the 3/4 best player on the team. Big gap between our 3rd player to our 5Th. 

Cupard and cup boards are still bare even though 4Th year of complete rebuild.

Sorry to bore some of you, I am aware this is repetitive. 3 years of terrible coaching. Players quit or transfer. We lose. Modest change or no change at all equals same shit. Yakwe is next to go. Then who? He won't be the last to leave.

And you guys gave him a B. Imagine if we finished .500. Maybe a parade. What if we got that hard to get Wednesday night Bye. Maybe a lifetime  a contract.

Again repetitive- Norm made the NIT with his guys. That would be a huge improvement for Mullin. That still isn't good enough even in year 4 of a stupid  experiment.

« Reply #275 on: March 21, 2018, 11:38:09 AM »
I'm sure if Maryland wants him they will paint a different picture on how he'll be used and what type of minutes he'll potentially earn.  Once he is in the door at another school this year he'll have no options if things aren't how they were sold to be.

« Reply #276 on: March 21, 2018, 12:08:40 PM »
Kids dream the their entire lives to play big time college basketball. We had a PG who went through off season workouts and the pre season just decide to QUIT! Playing 19 big east game on national TV wasn't for him. Playing Duke in a sold out garden wasn't for him. Playing in the big east tournament wasn't for him possibly in the NCAA' s wasn't for him.

We had a 2 year transfer player. Kid hustled and tried. Played 30 minutes a game. Took plenty of shots. Now he is quitting. You guys watched him, was he selfish? 

PG was blamed for this season. Still hasn't been replaced. Owen's with all his faults was the 3/4 best player on the team. Big gap between our 3rd player to our 5Th. 

Sorry to bore some of you, I am aware this is repetitive. 3 years of terrible coaching. Players quit or transfer. We lose. Modest change or no change at all equals same shit. Yakwe is next to go. Then who? He won't be the last to leave.

And you guys gave him a B. Imagine if we finished .500. Maybe a parade. What if we got that hard to get Wednesday night Bye. Maybe a lifetime  a contract.

Again repetitive- Norm made the NIT with his guys. That would be a huge improvement for Mullin. That still isn't good enough even in year 4 of a stupid  experiment.

This is such a dumb argument. Stop comparing him to what Norm did. It took Norm 6 years just to make the NIT and we had much worse teams in the conference like Rutgers, DePaul, USF, and Providence and Seton Hall sucked back then. That doesn't exist now. Mullin is in year 3 and without losing Lovett we are a NIT team. This is ridiculous.

« Reply #277 on: March 21, 2018, 12:13:27 PM »
I'm sure if Maryland wants him they will paint a different picture on how he'll be used and what type of minutes he'll potentially earn.  Once he is in the door at another school this year he'll have no options if things aren't how they were sold to be.
This

Johnny23

« Reply #278 on: March 21, 2018, 12:21:01 PM »
What are the chances Owens returns? 0.00?

« Reply #279 on: March 21, 2018, 12:23:21 PM »

This is such a dumb argument. Stop comparing him to what Norm did. It took Norm 6 years just to make the NIT and we had much worse teams in the conference like Rutgers, DePaul, USF, and Providence and Seton Hall sucked back then. That doesn't exist now. Mullin is in year 3 and without losing Lovett we are a NIT team. This is ridiculous.

I agree but the comparisons also aren't fair because Norm took over an NCAA pending sanction program with serious roster issues.  Mullin did not.  Don't compare having roster issues with an NCAA cloud over your head.  Totally different.  Also the top tier programs in the old BE were significantly better and more importantly Coach still lost to Georgetown and DePaul 3 out of 4 times in the regular season this year.

Again there are clear differences so you have a point but unless you are going to tell me you are certain that Chris Mullin would have taken over SJU under the EXACT SAME circumstances as Norm did and would have been in much better position in year 4 than Norm did (and I am not 100% convinced he would have) then don't tell me at this point the resumes are that much different.