Owens Leaving

• 545 replies
Re: Owens Leaving
« Reply #280 on: March 21, 2018, 01:18:56 PM »
And you guys gave him a B. 

I didn't give him a B.

« Reply #281 on: March 21, 2018, 02:11:51 PM »
Tariq and his father are out of their minds. 

The only limitation on his minutes were his unnatural propensity for committing fouls.  He would have played 40 per otherwise.  Watch him transfer somewhere to play less against worse competition with less exposure and put up worse numbers. 

I fear it's my fault he's leaving.  Lovett was my mfp but left with the labia injury.  Then picked Tariq as my mfp because I liked how he hustles.  I wanted Garfunkel but for some reason Wasju wasn't comfortable with me sharing a fav with him.

Won't have a favorite player next year.

P.S.
Potatoe are a staple of my high carb, low fat, high alcohol diet. I love the twice baked!
T.O. is a good kid.Im hearing there is a lack of trust somewhere within,also lack of team discipline,or leadershp from Staff.Again this s rumors coming from teammates/friends.Heard the kid just wanted to explore,yet certain media were informed from Staff, that he he did not ask for release.This is what pissed dad off we are told.I love this kid attitude,wish he stay,yet the rumors surrounding the decision doesnt sound  positive.Thoughts?

wish he would stay too, hopefully he realizes a high major program isn't going to give him any more minutes than st. john's.  Can't keep transferring because you don't like what's happening. 
It comes to a point where you have to look within and maybe that's the problem.

A high major program that wants a stretch 4 for one season will. He’s not going to North Carolina, but don’t you think the bottom half of conference’s like the ACC would take him?

We are at the bottom half of a conference as well - why make a lateral move

I agree with that. Couple of possibilities...

His dad has decided that Mullin is clueless, and that it’s not getting any better. Whether or not his in game coaching should have been much better is debateable, but roster management was about as bad as anyone’s in D1.

Another reason to leave might be to get a grad degree from Georgia Tech or Wake Forest. Frankly, and I doubt this is the case, but if he wanted to go somewhere else just for the experience, he’s allowed to.

I think he thinks you are clueless and hates the "fans"
or
He and his father think he is Kevin Durant because they have similar body types.

If Ponds come back we make the tourney next year and some of you will have to find something else to continuously bitch about.

Poison

« Reply #282 on: March 21, 2018, 05:16:18 PM »

The only limitation on his minutes were his unnatural propensity for committing fouls.  He would have played 40 per otherwise.  Watch him transfer somewhere to play less against worse competition with less exposure and put up worse numbers. 

I fear it's my fault he's leaving.  Lovett was my mfp but left with the labia injury.  Then picked Tariq as my mfp because I liked how he hustles.  I wanted Garfunkel but for some reason Wasju wasn't comfortable with me sharing a fav with him.

P.S.
Potatoe are a staple of my high carb, low fat, high alcohol diet. I love the twice baked!
T.O. is a good kid.Im hearing there is a lack of trust somewhere within,also lack of team discipline,or leadershp from Staff.Again this s rumors coming from teammates/friends.Heard the kid just wanted to explore,yet certain media were informed from Staff, that he he did not ask for release.This is what pissed dad off we are told.I love this kid attitude,wish he stay,yet the rumors surrounding the decision doesnt sound  positive.Thoughts?

wish he would stay too, hopefully he realizes a high major program isn't going to give him any more minutes than st. john's.  Can't keep transferring because you don't like what's happening. 

A high major program that wants a stretch 4 for one season will. He’s not going to North Carolina, but don’t you think the bottom half of conference’s like the ACC would take him?

His dad has decided that Mullin is clueless, and that it’s not getting any better. Whether or not his in game coaching should have been much better is debateable, but roster management was about as bad as anyone’s in D1.

Another reason to leave might be to get a grad degree from Georgia Tech or Wake Forest. Frankly, and I doubt this is the case, but if he wanted to go somewhere else just for the experience, he’s allowed to.

or
He and his father think he is Kevin Durant because they have similar body types.

If Ponds come back we make the tourney next year and some of you will have to find something else to continuously bitch about.

We had Ponds this year. Think he's gonna do more next season?

« Reply #283 on: March 21, 2018, 05:47:34 PM »

P.S.

or

We had Ponds this year. Think he's gonna do more next season?

I think the counting stats will be pretty similar but the efficiency should be up. Should be able to pick his spots more

TONYD3

« Reply #284 on: March 21, 2018, 08:47:04 PM »

I didn't give him a B.
Didn’t give him a D either.  I gave him an F because I was mad. D is fair. Closer to an F then a C.
Wojo deserves a C. That is what Marquette fans would give him. I asked as many as I could at the big east and reading their fan board.
Georgetown seems happy with Ewing. He like Mullin is new to this, but seems like he is trying harder.
The fact that our 2 million dollar coach is even being compared to Norm Roberts Is problem enough.
3 scholarships left. We don’t need projects. We need players. Need a PG, wing, and a big man.

« Reply #285 on: March 21, 2018, 09:26:52 PM »

I didn't give him a B.
Didn’t give him a D either.  I gave him an F because I was mad. D is fair. Closer to an F then a C.
Wojo deserves a C. That is what Marquette fans would give him. I asked as many as I could at the big east and reading their fan board.
Georgetown seems happy with Ewing. He like Mullin is new to this, but seems like he is trying harder.
The fact that our 2 million dollar coach is even being compared to Norm Roberts Is problem enough.
3 scholarships left. We don’t need projects. We need players. Need a PG, wing, and a big man.

So why can't you just be truthful in the first place?

TONYD3

« Reply #286 on: March 21, 2018, 09:39:14 PM »

I didn't give him a B.

I thought some more and changed my mind. What about you?

Poison

« Reply #287 on: March 21, 2018, 10:23:05 PM »
It no longer matters what Mullin’s grade was for the season. Our season ended with an Xavier beatdown. It’s a new season now - the summer. And the staff should be working their butts off to build this program.

What I’d like to know:

- Are they aware of how poorly they assembled this team? Or do they blame it on the players?
- What do they feel they need to address for next season in terms of immediately eligible talent?
- Will Mullin and his staff re-recruit Tariq Owens?
- Where does this staff stand with the AD and the program? Is someone being replaced? Are we replacing more than one assistant coach?
- Is 18-19 it? If they don’t get it together will the program consider Mullin a failed experiment or will he continue to be held accountable by no one other than the refs who T him up?
« Last Edit: March 21, 2018, 10:27:19 PM by Poison »

« Reply #288 on: March 21, 2018, 11:56:07 PM »

I didn't give him a B.

I meant your "And you guys gave him a B.".

TONYD3

« Reply #289 on: March 22, 2018, 09:21:33 AM »

I didn't give him a B.

I meant your "And you guys gave him a B.".

Without doing the exact math . 3 second spent rounding looks like an overall B grade or close to it.

« Reply #290 on: March 22, 2018, 09:27:09 AM »
If this site was limited to people with the intellect of a 10 year old, I bet we could get rid of half the people who post here, possibly 2/3 if we just use the posts on this subject.

goredmen

« Reply #291 on: March 22, 2018, 09:39:53 PM »
Daniels
St. John’s transfer Tariq Owen is down to Maryland, Oklahoma State, Ohio State, Ole Miss, Texas Tech, Western Kentucky, ODU & VCU.

Although it's probably been this way since last week, this probably confirms this ship has officially sailed

« Reply #292 on: March 22, 2018, 09:40:03 PM »
@EvanDaniels
 5m5 minutes ago
St. John’s transfer Tariq Owen is down to Maryland, Oklahoma State, Ohio State, Ole Miss, Texas Tech, Western Kentucky, ODU & VCU.

Interesting since he does not list SJU not sure if that is an oversight or he has decided he is definitely transferring.

paultzman

« Reply #293 on: March 22, 2018, 09:45:59 PM »
Sense gone

« Reply #294 on: March 22, 2018, 09:55:29 PM »
Sense gone

Oh I know, he is not coming back that is becoming obvious.

« Reply #295 on: March 22, 2018, 09:59:47 PM »
Sense gone

Maybe Yakwe winds up staying and becomes the AA of next season contributing a little bit in the last few games of the season.

goredmen

« Reply #296 on: March 22, 2018, 10:35:17 PM »
Sense gone

Maybe Yakwe winds up staying and becomes the AA of next season contributing a little bit in the last few games of the season.

If Yakwe stays and is getting any meaningful playing time next year, we’ll be lucky to be an NIT team

QuanMan

« Reply #297 on: March 22, 2018, 10:45:14 PM »
I waited for this type of news to break before I stated my thoughts on this matter since the Renard tweet last week. In my opinion there's no coincidence now that in the ladder 1/3 of the season Tariq was truly playing for himself. His uncharacteristic 3 point shooting was a personal showcase in advance of his free agency. He wasn't listening to the playbook and it hurt the team on multiple occasions. Renard must think that Tariq is truly a SF and it's obvious that they don't agree w Tariq's role in a guard oriented CM offense.

The bright side of this is that although he was a integral part of this year's team, he's replaceable. Others have listed his deficiencies, I'll spare everyone of repeating them, but his personality and presence will be missed.

To have a 3-4 week advantage on the recruiting trails is a gift. I hope to God that Matt and staff have been quietly taking advantage of this. Between Tariq, Yakwe, Trimble as possible defections, they can sign up to (5)!!! additional pieces to this team. The 18-19 season is easily salvageable with a unexpected huge Spring signing period class.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2018, 11:33:59 PM by QuanMan »
Section 3
Section 116

« Reply #298 on: March 22, 2018, 10:46:56 PM »
he's not coming back.

I will give this staff a few months to grab some guys. They need to pull a rabbit out of the hat late or I will lose just about any remaining faith I had.

« Reply #299 on: March 22, 2018, 10:54:41 PM »
I waited for this type of news broke before I stated my thoughts on this matter since the Renard tweet last week. In my opinion there's no coincidence now that in the ladder 1/3 of the season Tariq was truly playing for himself. His uncharacteristic 3 point shooting was a personal showcase in advance of his free agency. He wasn't listening to the playbook and it hurt the team on multiple occasions. Renard must think that Tariq is truly a SF and it's obvious that they don't agree w Tariq's role in a guard oriented CM offense.

The bright side of this is that although he was a integral part of this year's team, he's replaceable. Others have listed his deficiencies, I'll spare everyone of repeating them, but his personality and presence will be missed.

To have a 3-4 week advantage on the recruiting trails is a gift. I hope to God that Matt and staff have been quietly taking advantage of this. Between Tariq, Yakwe, Trimble as possible defections, they can sign up to (5)!!! additional pieces to this team. The 18-19 season is easily salvageable with a unexpected huge Spring signing period class.

I appreciate your optimism. I also hope this could be a monster transfer/decommit class. I just have lost a bit of faith after the offseason last year. I was stoked on Sid, but then that blew up....Trimble was a nice addition, I hope he stays....and that was like it for the class. We can't afford to take sit out transfers unless we get a few players immediately.

Ponds, Simon, Clark ..... who else can we even count on at this point?