Owens Leaving

• 545 replies
Re: Owens Leaving
« Reply #300 on: March 22, 2018, 11:03:09 PM »
Interesting Zach tweet was a few minutes after Evan Daniels but starts with SJU still option...unless Dad is just playing games....

I'd never take a kid back after he formally gets release with intent to go elsewhere. 

Zach Braziller

@NYPost_Brazille

Tariq Owens hasn't ruled out a return to St. John's, per his father. Hearing most from Maryland, Ole Miss, Texas Tech, Western Kentucky, Oklahoma State, Ohio State, ODU, VCU. No visits scheduled yet. But Maryland should be getting one

« Last Edit: March 22, 2018, 11:05:53 PM by RedStormNC »

« Reply #301 on: March 22, 2018, 11:17:53 PM »

Propaganda machine by his Dad. Maybe he should have Tariq workout in a gym with an actual baseline this summer.

Poison

« Reply #302 on: March 23, 2018, 12:32:14 AM »
If Owens, Yakwe and Trimble all leave the staff deserves everything the press gives them, and more. Recruiters need to have an eye for talent and they need to be able to assess what kind of commitment a recruit will make. It’s fime to find players who have some sense of pride in coming here. Transferring is part of the game, but right now that’s our best talent.

« Reply #303 on: March 23, 2018, 12:51:40 AM »
His dad tweeted this; https://twitter.com/eljefe132/status/977031867311501313

I'm not sure I want to watch a St. John's team that offers Owens more than 6 shots a game.

thetruth8734

• SJU Alum
« Reply #304 on: March 23, 2018, 12:59:20 AM »

I'm not sure I want to watch a St. John's team that offers Owens more than 6 shots a game.

Any team that is giving him more than 6 shots per game isn't going to be a good team... His dad is more delusional than Lavar Ball thinking his son Lamelo is going to get drafted. He'll transfer to his new school, probably play less of a role than he would have here, and fade into oblivion buying apartments.

« Reply #305 on: March 23, 2018, 01:19:27 AM »
Many times TO got the ball and was wide open from 15 feet out and had no idea what to do with the ball and did not even look to shoot or make an offensive move. He had a decent face up that when out to 3 point line but no post moves and when he tried to put the ball on the floor he usually fell down and lost the ball. Don't know what the father expects unless he thinks that in 3 years with our staff they have not developed his offensive to the level they want or expected. If we bring in a couple of 6'7 to 6'9 grad transfers we can more than make up for this loss if they can play a little ball.

« Reply #306 on: March 23, 2018, 02:44:19 AM »
Oh boy. If this is the reason why Owens is leaving that is a terrible mistake by him and his father.

Owens probably looks great shooting in practice but the guy couldn't hit a consistent mid range shot to save his life in live action.
He has no back to the basket game.

The sad thing is that Owens has tremendous value in the NBA as the type of player he is now. Someone who protects the rim, can run and athletic enough  to switch on smaller players. His dad thinks he must be Kevin Durant or something

« Reply #307 on: March 23, 2018, 04:50:55 AM »
The goal of ever division 1 basketball player entering college should be wanting to play in the NBA or professionally overseas for money. I understand that is his goal and I am a big fan of Tariq as a player and what he brings to the table. But are we losing are minds here? He has no value in the NBA, lets be real here. The guy played 30 min a game here and in 33 games played he scored in double figures 11 times. For a long 6'10 kid he had two games with double figure in rebounds. 2! He was free to do as he wished on offense and when smaller guards like rowsey, and jorgensen were switched on him he had no post moves whatsoever and would kick the ball back out. He has worse post moves than Kwame Brown. He is a hustle, high energy player that will hurt us if he leaves but if anyone thinks he is anything other than a role player who warrants more than 6 shots a game you are losing your mind.

Johnny23

« Reply #308 on: March 23, 2018, 07:06:52 AM »
Owens wants back in and Mullin takes him in a heartbeat. Beggars can't be choosers.

Who are these 6'9 grad transfers/HS kids that we are targeting and are they interested in us for next year? I haven't heard one name yet.

« Reply #309 on: March 23, 2018, 09:18:31 AM »
If Owens, Yakwe and Trimble all leave the staff deserves everything the press gives them, and more. Recruiters need to have an eye for talent and they need to be able to assess what kind of commitment a recruit will make. It’s fime to find players who have some sense of pride in coming here. Transferring is part of the game, but right now that’s our best talent.

Probably press won't say anything. Nobody cares about ST John's during off season unless something major happens. Owens was a solid player but other 2 stunk. Might not even make the papers.

« Reply #310 on: March 23, 2018, 09:20:23 AM »
Oh boy. If this is the reason why Owens is leaving that is a terrible mistake by him and his father.

Owens probably looks great shooting in practice but the guy couldn't hit a consistent mid range shot to save his life in live action.
He has no back to the basket game.

The sad thing is that Owens has tremendous value in the NBA as the type of player he is now. Someone who protects the rim, can run and athletic enough  to switch on smaller players. His dad thinks he must be Kevin Durant or something

Again I had a kid in little league that wore the glove on his wrong hand. At end of season his father asked me why his son can't play first base? Some parents are delusional.

Wods317

« Reply #311 on: March 23, 2018, 09:45:18 AM »

Once I saw this made me feel much better about his derparture. If they want Owens to be firing threes and shooting jumpers all game then he can go elsewhere. His jumper improved this year but defense and energy have been his calling cards. A big that doesn’t rebound and seems to want to play on the perimeter is not playing to his skill set at least to me.

Poison

« Reply #312 on: March 23, 2018, 11:04:43 AM »

Probably press won't say anything. Nobody cares about ST John's during off season unless something major happens. Owens was a solid player but other 2 stunk. Might not even make the papers.

David Cain, Donald Emanuel, Sean Evans and Malik Boothe stunk for 4 years. Mullin's program has less continuity than any STJ I can remember. Call me a hater all you want, but without continuity you had better be bringing in Kentucky level talent.

Mullin has been getting coverage. The one thing he has going for him because he was a star here, and he's from here is that people want to hear about him. I talk to casual fans who want to see him do well. They go to games, and they believe it will happen.
The Garden wasn't empty this season.

Right now, we need miraculous recruiting scores just to make next season competitive.

We Lose:                                           We Gain:
SF Ahmed GRADUATED                 PF/SF Roberts FRESH
C Owens SR TRANSFER                 C Keita SOPH
SF Alibegovic                                   SG Dixon SOPH
PF Yakwe R TRANSFER                  SF Diakite FRESH
SG Trimble SOPH TRANSFER       PF Earlington FRESH
PG LoVett JUNIOR

When you compare it side by side, it looks worse. What can we expect Keita and Dixon to give us? It doesn't seem reasonable to me to expect Keita and Dixon to step right into the BE and play like guys who are ready for it. Not saying it can't happen, but it's asking a lot. And even if they can both play, we have a bench of freshman projects. The NIT is a reach. Not just because of a lack of size, but because these players don't know each other's games.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2018, 11:09:54 AM by Poison »

« Reply #313 on: March 23, 2018, 11:09:30 AM »

David Cain, Donald Emanuel, Sean Evans and Malik Both stunk for 4 years. Mullin's program has less continuity than any STJ I can remember. Call me a hater all you want, but without continuity you had better be bringing in Kentucky level talent.

Mullin has been getting coverage. The one thing he has going for him because he was a star here, and he's from here is that people want to hear about him. I talk to casual fans who want to see him do well. They go to games, and they believe it will happen. The Garden wasn't empty this season.

Right now, we need miraculous recruiting scores just to make next season competitive.

PG LoVett JUNIOR

When you compare it side by side, it looks worse. What can we expect Keita and Dixon to give us? It doesn't seem reasonable to me to expect Keita and Dixon to step right into the BE and play like guys who are ready for it. Not saying it can't happen, but it's asking a lot. And even if they can both play, we have a bench of freshman projects. The NIT is a reach. Not just because of a lack of size, but because these players don't know each other's games.

I understand why folks think Yakwe is gone, but why Trimble? Other than the Providence game (which I've still heard conflicting reports about) - there has been no indication that Trimble is gone.

I do agree with your point though, even with Trimble moved to the right side. Lovett, Ahmed and Owens are much better than the right side, and quite frankly it isn't even close.

« Reply #314 on: March 23, 2018, 11:10:24 AM »
If Ponds comes back we make tourney next year and lose 8-9 game. GLORY YEARS!

« Reply #315 on: March 23, 2018, 11:27:15 AM »
If Owens grabbed six offensive rebounds a game and put them back...that would account for six shots.  Effort stat.

Wods317

« Reply #316 on: March 23, 2018, 11:29:46 AM »

David Cain, Donald Emanuel, Sean Evans and Malik Boothe stunk for 4 years. Mullin's program has less continuity than any STJ I can remember. Call me a hater all you want, but without continuity you had better be bringing in Kentucky level talent.

Mullin has been getting coverage. The one thing he has going for him because he was a star here, and he's from here is that people want to hear about him. I talk to casual fans who want to see him do well. They go to games, and they believe it will happen.

PG LoVett JUNIOR

No indication that Trimble is gone yet and you didn’t include Greg Williams who is a 4 star recruit on a couple sites. I guess you can just assume Dixon and Keita won’t have an impact, I don’t agree on that point at all

goredmen

« Reply #317 on: March 23, 2018, 12:42:27 PM »

The sad thing is that Owens has tremendous value in the NBA as the type of player he is now.

I want what he's having

pmg911

« Reply #318 on: March 23, 2018, 12:44:08 PM »

If Trimble refused to go into a game at the end of the year, I would be happy to see him go...

goredmen

« Reply #319 on: March 23, 2018, 12:44:15 PM »

PG LoVett JUNIOR

So you are counting guys leaving that haven't left yet and not leaving room for potential grad transfers/JUCOs/decommits that we might end up getting. Seems fair