Owens Leaving

• 545 replies
Re: Owens Leaving
« Reply #360 on: March 26, 2018, 03:28:32 PM »
Evan Daniels

St. John’s grad transfer Tariq Owens will take a visit to Maryland on the 27th & 28th, per a source. Owens averaged 8.4 PPG & 5.9 RPG last season.

Matt driving him

Crab Cakes are good. Maybe he can put the weight on that way
You have made it clear that you are a top athlete. For you gaining 30 pounds of muscle is easy. Might not be possible for others.

Despite playing a sport and all the sex I was having in college I was still able to gain weight.

Baseball is a sport, barely and sex with yourself doesn't count.

Good looking guy, varsity athlete, alcohol, drunk girls away from home, co ed dorms, alcohol.  Good Times. Sex with myself  while always fun was secondary until I got married and had kids and then it made a spectacular comeback

I was an athlete in college as well.  Bowling and ultimate frisbee.  Does that count?
No no uniform.
Seriously athlete part was just a nice thing to say. Beer and co ed dorms were the key. Seriously whoever invented co ed dorms should get a day in his honor.

paultzman

paultzman

« Reply #362 on: March 28, 2018, 04:48:26 PM »
Per Evan Daniels
St. John’s graduate transfer Tariq Owens is down to Maryland, Texas Tech & Western Kentucky, per a source. Plans to visit Texas Tech after the Final Four.

Closure perhaps

« Reply #363 on: March 28, 2018, 04:51:17 PM »
Per Evan Daniels
St. John’s graduate transfer Tariq Owens is down to Maryland, Texas Tech & Western Kentucky, per a source. Plans to visit Texas Tech after the Final Four.

Closure perhaps

He's gone obviously. 

Johnny23

« Reply #364 on: March 28, 2018, 04:56:52 PM »
3 better programs than SJU. Yeah we didn't need Owens next year.

« Reply #365 on: March 28, 2018, 05:26:35 PM »
Doesn't mean he'll do better at either of those schools. 

Johnny23

« Reply #366 on: March 28, 2018, 05:31:35 PM »
Doesn't mean he'll do better at either of those schools.

Maybe, maybe not but he sure could've helped here.

MCNPA

« Reply #367 on: March 28, 2018, 05:39:59 PM »
If we land a grad transfer big, I’m not worried.  Keita I don’t believe is a slouch and has also had a whole year working on things like Owens did when he came here.  Owens wasn’t all that good when he came on board here.  Energy but little else.  He improved.  I don’t want to lose Owens, but we already have Keita and Roberts replacing him if not more.  Kid wants to leave... so be it.

« Reply #368 on: March 28, 2018, 06:00:25 PM »
Kid and his pops wants to get paid

« Reply #369 on: March 28, 2018, 06:08:26 PM »
Owens will only get paid if he hits Powerball.  He wants to be Batman and he's not even Robin!

paultzman

« Reply #370 on: March 28, 2018, 06:22:18 PM »
Father’s answer re his choices

Replying to @NYPost_Brazille
Maryland went to NCAA last 3 years and it’s Home, Texas Tech one game away from final 4, Western Kentucky was one game for NIT championship. All have a need for Tariq Owens at the position he plays. St Johns has a need as well. What’s best for #11 that’s what’s important 2 me now

Marillac

« Reply #371 on: March 28, 2018, 06:25:24 PM »

Nobody "needs" a player like Tariq. We all agree that we could use him in the right role, but we're better off without him taking ten shots. We have shooters already. We need rebounders. How is a jumper from Tariq better than a jumper from Mikey Dixon? Dixon is a better shooter and Owens is a better rebkounder. Makes no sense to have a 6'2 kid rebound for a 6'11 kid.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2018, 06:26:21 PM by Marillac »

Marillac

« Reply #372 on: March 28, 2018, 06:28:25 PM »

Maryland went to NCAA last 3 years and it’s Home, Texas Tech one game away from final 4, Western Kentucky was one game for NIT championship. All have a need for Tariq Owens at the position he plays. St Johns has a need as well. What’s best for #11 that’s what’s important 2 me now

The graduate  transfer was instituted for academic reasons. This idiot should at least start referencing academics in his tirades.

« Reply #373 on: March 28, 2018, 06:32:20 PM »

Nobody "needs" a player like Tariq. We all agree that we could use him in the right role, but we're better off without him taking ten shots. We have shooters already. We need rebounders. How is a jumper from Tariq better than a jumper from Mikey Dixon? Dixon is a better shooter and Owens is a better rebkounder. Makes no sense to have a 6'2 kid rebound for a 6'11 kid.
He will learn quickly after he puts up his second three point shot in a game. Those programs don't need a 6'11" 5yr addition putting up chucks from anywhere but in the paint. Defensively he is a good shot blocker, which leaves him in poor rebounding opportunities.

TONYD3

« Reply #374 on: March 28, 2018, 06:38:22 PM »

The graduate  transfer was instituted for academic reasons. This idiot should at least start referencing academics in his tirades.
Why is he an idiot? His son graduated and has options. In haven’t read every tweet but I have read to many. This family seems to want to not only want to play at a high level. They actually want to win Basketball games. I think it sucks that he is leaving.
If we had a PG and structured offense. I bet this is a non issue.

« Reply #375 on: March 28, 2018, 06:46:03 PM »
Win basketball games? He left Tennessee for a total rebuild at St. John's. He is now leaving when they are primed to make a run next year.

Shanorie Ponds, 6'1 avgeraged 5.0 rebounds per game
Tariq Owens, 6'11 averaged 5.9 rebounds per game

It's not about winning... it's about showcasing himself. Plus there's isn't such great energy btwn Tariq and Shamorie.

goredmen

« Reply #376 on: March 28, 2018, 06:47:36 PM »
At this point who cares. If he wants to be a defender, shot blocker and guy who scores on dunks and layups off assist from Ponds/Simon then we'd really need him. If he's a guy that only wants to play somewhere where he'd be a bigger part of the offense, he'd do more harm than good.

Speaking of which, interesting his dad now tweeting about the success of those 3 programs instead of his kid getting more shots

« Reply #377 on: March 28, 2018, 07:12:53 PM »
At this point who cares. If he wants to be a defender, shot blocker and guy who scores on dunks and layups off assist from Ponds/Simon then we'd really need him. If he's a guy that only wants to play somewhere where he'd be a bigger part of the offense, he'd do more harm than good.

Speaking of which, interesting his dad now tweeting about the success of those 3 programs instead of his kid getting more shots

Him going somewhere with a better team makes more sense to me than saying he wants a bigger role. I'd want to go somewhere I can win and have a lot of fun my last year.

goredmen

« Reply #378 on: March 28, 2018, 07:19:16 PM »

Him going somewhere with a better team makes more sense to me than saying he wants a bigger role. I'd want to go somewhere I can win and have a lot of fun my last year.

Yeah thats fine, just mentioning how the dad may have changed his tune from being a bigger role in the offense being the main factor to winning. Either way, it is what it is. There are plenty of grad transfer bigs as good or better than Owens currently available and probably more to come. Have to break through with one or two of them.

ras

« Reply #379 on: March 28, 2018, 07:33:41 PM »

That’s the truth. But ironically Simon and Ponds rebound as good as Owens. We need him to rebound and put back shots , not hoist shots from the perimeter. I would love to see what his role actually turns out to be at his new school. Hope we get a competent grad transfer to replace him, a banger who rebounds.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2018, 07:36:46 PM by ras »