Owens Leaving

• 545 replies

Marillac

Re: Owens Leaving
« Reply #380 on: March 28, 2018, 10:25:08 PM »
Father’s answer re his choices

Replying to @NYPost_Brazille
Maryland went to NCAA last 3 years and it’s Home, Texas Tech one game away from final 4, Western Kentucky was one game for NIT championship. All have a need for Tariq Owens at the position he plays. St Johns has a need as well. What’s best for #11 that’s what’s important 2 me now

The graduate  transfer was instituted for academic reasons. This idiot should at least start referencing academics in his tirades.
Why is he an idiot? His son graduated and has options. In haven’t read every tweet but I have read to many. This family seems to want to not only want to play at a high level. They actually want to win Basketball games. I think it sucks that he is leaving.
If we had a PG and structured offense. I bet this is a non issue.

He's an idiot for several reasons. If he wants to help his son, he should  have had him add weight and work on his inside game. Nobody wants him to play on the outside. He also took had his son transfer from Tennessee and waste a season to go to a total rebuild.  Now he wants to go to a winnner? Well, Tennessee won 26 games this year without any size and came one point away from beating a Final Four team in the tournament. Didn't see that one coming, huh?

Now he wants to publicly spat off that their  "sole consideration" for choosing a new school is the best basketball situation for his son. The rule is solely there for academics reasons. He needs to want to enroll in a major SJU doesn't offer. He's not a free agent. He's the first representative of a transfer I've seen to expressly say he is transferring for basketball reasons alone. Do you think that is smart? Publicly spit in the face of the NCAA and tell the world you are taking advantage of
a rule implemented to help student athletes. What is stopping the NCAA for ruling him ineligible? Yeah, it's unlikely but why even risk it just to get yourself some shine at your son's expense?

And he was a fan favorite and had a home to come back to years down the line. He won't have anything after a transfer. If he wants 10 shots a game, this will not end up well for him. Take that to the bank. He'll get some empty promise and the told to GTFOH and to accept his son's reserve role by the coach  two weeks into the season with no leverage remaining.

« Reply #381 on: March 28, 2018, 10:35:45 PM »
I don't even think the Ivy leaguer Hooper was a grad transfer for academic reasons. Out of the hundreds or so grad transfers maybe 2 do it for academic reasons.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2018, 10:36:22 PM by Celtics11 »

« Reply #382 on: March 28, 2018, 11:06:49 PM »
You're right that the grad transfer rule is pretty much a sham, but Max Hooper played one year at Harvard, one with us, and 2 with Oakland of the Horizon League.

Marillac

« Reply #383 on: March 28, 2018, 11:11:31 PM »
I don't even think the Ivy leaguer Hooper was a grad transfer for academic reasons. Out of the hundreds or so grad transfers maybe 2 do it for academic reasons.

They can transfer to be closer to cheap prostitutes if they want and don't tell the world that. It becomes as issue when the father expressly says their decision is based solely on basketball. What kind of burden of proof do you think the NCAA requires? It's a helluva'lot lower than proving it beyond a reasonable doubt or with clear and convincing evidence. Would you really be shocked to wake up and see a headline "Texas Tech  Graduate Transfer Ruled Ineligible"?  Nothing the NCAA does surprises me.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2018, 11:12:40 PM by Marillac »

ras

« Reply #384 on: March 28, 2018, 11:20:17 PM »
Maryland is getting a 5 star recruit at the 4. Owens father says they have a need for him at the position he plays. What position does he think Tariq will be playing?

Johnny23

« Reply #385 on: March 29, 2018, 07:53:04 AM »
There should be quality minutes for Owens at Maryland. Spoke with my buddy who's well connected in College Park and supposedly Bruno and Justin Jackson may both enter the draft. Neither are ready but both think they can at least make money overseas if not drafted. Not a definite but if this happens then Tariq should get a lot of burn there.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2018, 07:53:47 AM by Johnny23 »

« Reply #386 on: March 29, 2018, 08:19:16 AM »
There should be quality minutes for Owens at Maryland. Spoke with my buddy who's well connected in College Park and supposedly Bruno and Justin Jackson may both enter the draft. Neither are ready but both think they can at least make money overseas if not drafted. Not a definite but if this happens then Tariq should get a lot of burn there.

Only burn he will get is on his ass as he sits on the bench after he commits his 2 or 3 dumb fouls a game 40 feet from the basket. 

Johnny23

« Reply #387 on: March 29, 2018, 08:28:35 AM »

Only burn he will get is on his ass as he sits on the bench after he commits his 2 or 3 dumb fouls a game 40 feet from the basket.

And yet he'll still be looking down at SJU.

« Reply #388 on: March 29, 2018, 10:35:18 AM »

Very replaceable player. For every block he got he was out of position for 3 extra possible weakside rebounds.

Poison

« Reply #389 on: March 29, 2018, 11:08:23 AM »

Very replaceable player. For every block he got he was out of position for 3 extra possible weakside rebounds.

Very replaceable? Really? What bigs are we recruiting for next season that will be eligible next season? I count zero.

SJUFAN

« Reply #390 on: March 29, 2018, 11:38:45 AM »

Very replaceable? Really? What bigs are we recruiting for next season that will be eligible next season? I count zero.

I've come to the realization that this board is full of delusional fans. The kid has a right to do what's in his best interest, as he perceives it. Playing meaningful basketball in March appears to be high on the list. Can't fault him for wanting to play for a successful program. Don't be mad at Owens, be upset with how Mullin is recruiting.

Marillac

« Reply #391 on: March 30, 2018, 01:13:20 PM »

I've come to the realization that this board is full of delusional fans. The kid has a right to do what's in his best interest, as he perceives it. Playing meaningful basketball in March appears to be high on the list. Can't fault him for wanting to play for a successful program. Don't be mad at Owens, be upset with how Mullin is recruiting.

Then he should have stayed at Tennessee. They were a three seed this year.

tnice

« Reply #392 on: March 30, 2018, 02:47:51 PM »

The " play in a successful program" BS is Owens father backpedaling or amatuerishly trying to get leverage with St Johns. The first and real reason he gave for TO transferring was he only got 6 shots a game. He has delusions of Tariq playng in the NBA. He'd go to a team that was 0-27 if he though his son would be featured in the offense.
The guy is a retired cop who trys to portray himself as a big time real estate/business guy. Every one of you knows somebody like this dude...total bullshitter, thinks he's smarter than he is and is a master negotiator (sounds kinda like our current president). Guarantee if you follow him long enough you'd hear him talk about Tariq "building his brand"...using that cliche is another dead giveaway by mogul wannabees. I'll bet you a million dollars he idolizes LaVar Ball.

Love TO and hope he comes back, but if it involves appeasing the dad, sayonara.

« Last Edit: March 30, 2018, 02:48:49 PM by tnice »

« Reply #393 on: March 30, 2018, 03:44:26 PM »

'Hell hath no fury like a lover scorned'

Poison

« Reply #394 on: March 30, 2018, 11:15:59 PM »

The " play in a successful program" BS is Owens father backpedaling or amatuerishly trying to get leverage with St Johns. The first and real reason he gave for TO transferring was he only got 6 shots a game. He has delusions of Tariq playng in the NBA. He'd go to a team that was 0-27 if he though his son would be featured in the offense.
The guy is a retired cop who trys to portray himself as a big time real estate/business guy. Every one of you knows somebody like this dude...total bullshitter, thinks he's smarter than he is and is a master negotiator (sounds kinda like our current president). Guarantee if you follow him long enough you'd hear him talk about Tariq "building his brand"...using that cliche is another dead giveaway by mogul wannabees. I'll bet you a million dollars he idolizes LaVar Ball.

Love TO and hope he comes back, but if it involves appeasing the dad, sayonara.

This is the laziest staff we’ve ever had. His dad should be angry.

« Reply #395 on: March 31, 2018, 12:07:15 AM »
Phil Booth's dad (who played at Coppin State) sounds like the perfect basketball parent. Jay Wright on what Booth's dad told him before he enrolled: "When he comes to you, you got him 4 years. You're not going to hear from me. We'll be at the games, but he's yours."

Poison

« Reply #396 on: March 31, 2018, 09:29:07 AM »
Phil Booth's dad (who played at Coppin State) sounds like the perfect basketball parent. Jay Wright on what Booth's dad told him before he enrolled: "When he comes to you, you got him 4 years. You're not going to hear from me. We'll be at the games, but he's yours."

I agree. Tariq Owens’ dad should never question Jay Wright. He’s a great coach.

Marillac

« Reply #397 on: March 31, 2018, 10:57:23 AM »

The irony is a weasel like you would have hated him his first three years too.
First three years at Hofstra:
10-18
9-18
12-15

Conference records first theee years at Nova (inheriting a good team):
7-9
9-8
6-10

TONYD3

« Reply #398 on: March 31, 2018, 11:19:13 AM »

10-18
9-18
12-15

7-9
9-8
6-10

That nova team also made the NIT the first 3 years also. That wasn’t a bad season for Villanova Basketball back then.

« Reply #399 on: March 31, 2018, 12:31:22 PM »

10-18
9-18
12-15

7-9
9-8
6-10

That nova team also made the NIT the first 3 years also. That wasn’t a bad season for Villanova Basketball back then.

Wright had also layed the groundwork for potential success with a terrific recruiting class during his first season at 'Nova (Ray, Foye, Fraser, and Sumpter in the 2002 Class).  We've yet to land such a class to set the program up for the long haul.  Wright also signed Mike Nardi and Kyle Lowry in the 2003 and 2004 classes, respectively.   

Hofstra was a more daunting task, as they sucked prior to Wright taking over.