Owens Leaving

• 545 replies

Poison

Re: Owens Leaving
« Reply #400 on: March 31, 2018, 01:11:49 PM »
Phil Booth's dad (who played at Coppin State) sounds like the perfect basketball parent. Jay Wright on what Booth's dad told him before he enrolled: "When he comes to you, you got him 4 years. You're not going to hear from me. We'll be at the games, but he's yours."

I agree. Tariq Owens’ dad should never question Jay Wright. He’s a great coach.

The irony is a weasel like you would have hated him his first three years too.
First three years at Hofstra:
10-18
9-18
12-15

Conference records first theee years at Nova (inheriting a good team):
7-9
9-8
6-10

Marillac, do you have hurt feelings again? I’m sorry.

jr49

« Reply #401 on: March 31, 2018, 05:12:30 PM »
If Owens, Yakwe and Trimble all leave the staff deserves everything the press gives them, and more. Recruiters need to have an eye for talent and they need to be able to assess what kind of commitment a recruit will make. It’s fime to find players who have some sense of pride in coming here. Transferring is part of the game, but right now that’s our best talent.
Was Owens part of CM's first class? And Yaks? If so who would't you take? If either one should not be here, whats the problem if they walk?

Poison

« Reply #402 on: March 31, 2018, 05:49:53 PM »
If Owens, Yakwe and Trimble all leave the staff deserves everything the press gives them, and more. Recruiters need to have an eye for talent and they need to be able to assess what kind of commitment a recruit will make. It’s fime to find players who have some sense of pride in coming here. Transferring is part of the game, but right now that’s our best talent.
Was Owens part of CM's first class? And Yaks? If so who would't you take? If either one should not be here, whats the problem if they walk?

Two reasons: The first is that I think the staff should develop the players they recruit into their program. The second is that with very little continuity that next step isn’t likely to happen next season.

Instead the team is meeting each other for the first time.

goredmen

« Reply #403 on: April 06, 2018, 05:16:54 PM »
Maryland's Bruno Fernando will enter the 2018 NBA Draft, but won't hire an agent. @JonRothstein

Would assume his decision whether or not to stay in the draft will have an impact on Owens' decision. Also, since that decision is likely over a month away, we could pick up a grad big before Bruno decides. If that happens and Bruno decides to stay at MD that could leave Owens in a tough spot.

MCNPA

« Reply #404 on: April 06, 2018, 05:23:29 PM »
Maryland's Bruno Fernando will enter the 2018 NBA Draft, but won't hire an agent. @JonRothstein

Would assume his decision whether or not to stay in the draft will have an impact on Owens' decision. Also, since that decision is likely over a month away, we could pick up a grad big before Bruno decides. If that happens and Bruno decides to stay at MD that could leave Owens in a tough spot.

That’s his problem.  I’m sure we won’t wait on him.

« Reply #405 on: April 06, 2018, 05:27:22 PM »

And we sure as hell shouldn't.

goredmen

« Reply #406 on: April 06, 2018, 05:29:44 PM »

Agree. He will obviously still find a high major spot, but could end up being Texas Tech. Obviously Tech had a great year but they should take a sizable step back next year and Owens isn't built for the Big 12. Thats a very physical league

« Reply #407 on: April 06, 2018, 05:34:36 PM »
Poor Owens. Kid wanted to come back but his father and AAU coach destroyed that.

paultzman

« Reply #408 on: April 06, 2018, 05:38:12 PM »
Poor Owens. Kid wanted to come back but his father and AAU coach destroyed that.

AAU coach was indeed a culprit
« Last Edit: April 06, 2018, 06:08:29 PM by paultzman »

« Reply #409 on: April 06, 2018, 05:46:56 PM »

AAU coach indeed was indeed a culprit

Pops took the bait. Ship has sailed. Shame

Foad

« Reply #410 on: April 06, 2018, 05:48:42 PM »

What happened to the good old days when children told their parents to fuck off. This generation sucks.

« Reply #411 on: April 06, 2018, 05:52:46 PM »

What happened to the good old days when children told their parents to fuck off. This generation sucks.

Ya but he buys houses

goredmen

« Reply #412 on: April 06, 2018, 06:01:11 PM »

Baltimore guy that probably has good relationship to Turgeon and his staff at MD. Wonder what happens if that potential destination falls through because they have enough bigs

paultzman

« Reply #413 on: April 06, 2018, 06:09:49 PM »

Baltimore guy that probably has good relationship to Turgeon and his staff at MD. Wonder what happens if that potential destination falls through because they have enough bigs
Md. has not offered yet I believe

goredmen

« Reply #414 on: April 07, 2018, 07:58:39 PM »
Evan Daniels
Tariq Owens will make his college choice this week, per a source. He’s currently at Texas Tech. Has visited Maryland. There won’t be other visits. St. John’s still under consideration.

paultzman

« Reply #415 on: April 07, 2018, 07:59:54 PM »
Evan Daniels
Tariq Owens will make his college choice this week, per a source. He’s currently at Texas Tech. Has visited Maryland. There won’t be other visits. St. John’s still under consideration.
Welcome back mat ? :)

« Reply #416 on: April 07, 2018, 08:08:34 PM »
I have a feeling he'll be back.

« Reply #417 on: April 07, 2018, 08:10:57 PM »
As long as he comes back with the expectation of not being a primary scorer, I'll be very happy to see him be back. If what Paultzman said yesterday holds up (MD not offering), I'll be mildly optimistic.

« Reply #418 on: April 07, 2018, 08:22:26 PM »
A lot of bridges to unburn

« Reply #419 on: April 07, 2018, 08:29:50 PM »
It seems like the bridges that have to be unburnt are w/ the dad and AAU coach but not Owens or any teammates. Is that right?