Owens Leaving

• 545 replies
Re: Owens Leaving
« Reply #420 on: April 07, 2018, 08:32:59 PM »
It seems like the bridges that have to be unburnt are w/ the dad and AAU coach but not Owens or any teammates. Is that right?

Maybe him and Shamorie have to talk. After his father and him decided to leave, Shamorie called him a snake for the move. Maybe they should talk it out.

Poison

« Reply #421 on: April 07, 2018, 08:40:52 PM »
I would welcome him back if he wanted to return. His father was openly critical of Mullin. Agree or disagree with his opinion, he did it in the correct forum.

« Reply #422 on: April 07, 2018, 08:43:02 PM »
It seems like the bridges that have to be unburnt are w/ the dad and AAU coach but not Owens or any teammates. Is that right?

Maybe him and Shamorie have to talk. After his father and him decided to leave, Shamorie called him a snake for the move. Maybe they should talk it out.

He didn't call him a snake for leaving. It was for other reasons including the Dad subliminals.

Poison

« Reply #423 on: April 07, 2018, 08:43:10 PM »

Where is there evidence of that?

« Reply #424 on: April 07, 2018, 09:20:54 PM »
A week or two ago Ponds had a short lived post on his Instagram.

Something to effect of didnt think he needed to watch his back from his own roster, along with a snake image.

Who knows. May not have even meant his BB team roster.

« Last Edit: April 07, 2018, 09:22:46 PM by RedStormNC »

MCNPA

« Reply #425 on: April 07, 2018, 09:22:58 PM »
Gimme a grad big and send him on his way.  He’s going to be trying to showcase himself if he comes back, like Lovett..  Last thing we need is a chemistry killer.  Get femi in her along with Keita and Roberts and we are fine.

« Reply #426 on: April 07, 2018, 09:42:35 PM »
This is a tough one. You don't want a Lovett 2.0 where he plays half the year then decides to bail.

However we're not good enough to say take a hike. I'd take him back.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

Poison

« Reply #427 on: April 07, 2018, 09:50:30 PM »
Gimme a grad big and send him on his way.  He’s going to be trying to showcase himself if he comes back, like Lovett..  Last thing we need is a chemistry killer.  Get femi in her along with Keita and Roberts and we are fine.

We could see that Tariq always played hard. Where is the evidence that the staff brings that kind of dedication to the program? Who is the chemistry killer here?

paultzman

« Reply #428 on: April 07, 2018, 10:09:00 PM »
Zach B

Have heard return to St Johns went from being ruled out to now being considered #sjubb

As intriguing as grad transfer options may be, if I'm St. John's, I would prefer to keep Tariq Owens. Continuity is important, and he keys their defense. Just my two cents. #sjubb
« Last Edit: April 07, 2018, 10:10:13 PM by paultzman »

Poison

« Reply #429 on: April 07, 2018, 10:24:24 PM »
Zach B

Have heard return to St Johns went from being ruled out to now being considered #sjubb

As intriguing as grad transfer options may be, if I'm St. John's, I would prefer to keep Tariq Owens. Continuity is important, and he keys their defense. Just my two cents. #sjubb

The team needs Tariq. If he returns, he’d be the most senior player in the program and the closest thing this staff has to a 4 year player. Because of that and their lack of success recruiting, I don’t think the staff can afford to turn their back on him. They haven’t earned that right.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2018, 10:25:00 PM by Poison »

MCNPA

« Reply #430 on: April 07, 2018, 10:50:43 PM »
I’m just worried about a disgruntled player and his disgruntled father being an issue.

wpc77

« Reply #431 on: April 07, 2018, 11:00:48 PM »
I’m just worried about a disgruntled player and his disgruntled father being an issue.

Exactly.  Renard needs to buy a clue

Poison

« Reply #432 on: April 07, 2018, 11:05:03 PM »

Was Tariq’s attitude ever a question during the season?

Poison

« Reply #433 on: April 07, 2018, 11:08:46 PM »

Exactly.  Renard needs to buy a clue

Exactly right. What does that fool know? Certainly not more than a staff with 2 last place finishes in 3 years.

MCNPA

« Reply #434 on: April 07, 2018, 11:10:05 PM »

A lot has happened since then, that’s all.  I like Owens as a player quite a bit when he’s not hoisting.  He’s a great shot blocker.  SJU has just had a lot of bad luck with these disgruntled players in the past.

paultzman

« Reply #435 on: April 07, 2018, 11:12:25 PM »
I sense Owens never wanted to leave so the father and the AAU coach apparently started this venture. To me, Tariq is not perfect, but always hustles and helps defensively. Lastly, better optics for the program imo. Hope he returns, but respect opinions to contrary, tricky situation.

« Reply #436 on: April 07, 2018, 11:29:18 PM »
Ponds simon Clark Owens sc xfer Dixon Trimble Roberts Williams  our savior kid football player and transfer poss I’ll take it

goredmen

« Reply #437 on: April 08, 2018, 12:01:59 AM »
Tricky situation. Sure sounds like Owens is coming back which on it's face is a very good thing. Last year when Lovett announced he was returning it was cause for jubilation as it should have been at the time. Turns out that was the worst thing that could have happened to us. Had he left in Apri insteadl, the staff could have searched for a replacement and we wouldn't have been as short handed as we were when he quit and bailed on the team.

Owens has some of that risk as well as we know his father wants him taking more shots and was obviously frustrated with his son's role. What happens if Owens still isn't getting the amount of shots his dad wants and/or he plays fewer minutes with Keita in the fold. It's almost a guarantee he'll play fewer minutes next year simply because bigs don't usually play 35-38 minutes a game in the first place.

I have no doubt that Tariq is a good kid that wants to be here and wants to win, just worry about that his dad doesn't share that vision and is the main influence in this picture. Just don't want this to turn into Lovett 2.0

MCNPA

« Reply #438 on: April 08, 2018, 12:05:14 AM »
I sense Owens never wanted to leave so the father and the AAU coach apparently started this venture. To me, Tariq is not perfect, but always hustles and helps defensively. Lastly, better optics for the program imo. Hope he returns, but respect opinions to contrary, tricky situation.

I’d love him back if he didn’t want to leave and his father stays out of it.  No other program is gonna give him more time except at a lower level.  And Tariq’s time will decrease this year if he stays, with Keita and Roberts here, which is a good thing imo.  Starting to sense that he’s gonna end up back here for some reason...

« Reply #439 on: April 08, 2018, 01:31:09 AM »
Gimme a grad big and send him on his way.  He’s going to be trying to showcase himself if he comes back, like Lovett..  Last thing we need is a chemistry killer. 

Concur.

Those are the things we have to be wary about if we decide to bring him back....  Dad and AAU coach.  I'd like for him to return, too, but I can sense this thing potentially getting dicey again in another 7 or 8 months.  If I was under the gun to choose one, then I'd part ways.  Dad (and, possibly even the AAU coach) is too involved.   
« Last Edit: April 08, 2018, 01:32:46 AM by mjdinkins »