Owens Leaving

• 545 replies
Re: Owens Leaving
« Reply #440 on: April 08, 2018, 08:41:10 AM »
I don't see another Lovett here. Owens wants to win, and with him back and add another piece we have the chance to be pretty good. I don't see him throwing that away mid-year because he wants a few more shots. Now if we aren't winning and things go south, I can definitely see his frustration leading to some problems.

Bottom line is you win and everybody will be happy.

cjfish

« Reply #441 on: April 08, 2018, 08:55:27 AM »
The biggest problem with Owens leaving is how it looks to recruits.  Given the amount of players leaving a recruit looking at the program sees instability and unhappy players.  I hope he stays for this reason alone.   Recruiting has been iffy at best and any further negativity in this area is a big issue. 

« Reply #442 on: April 08, 2018, 09:02:33 AM »
Has their ever been another kid who visits other schools then comes back? Besides Amar of course

« Reply #443 on: April 08, 2018, 09:15:10 AM »
Maybe not that is public (at least I can think of), but happens all the time I’m sure through back channels.  Also we see kids leave for professional opportunities only to return when they have a change of heart. What Delgado did last year to the Hall. Announced he was gone and signing with agent because some people where urging him to go, only to have a change of heart a few weeks later.

ras

« Reply #444 on: April 08, 2018, 10:50:42 AM »
It’s a tough call. But Owens got a release. I think the staff has to weigh the factors and do what’s best for SJU. We need a banger.

redslope

« Reply #445 on: April 08, 2018, 12:47:22 PM »
I thought when I initially heard that it was a mistake for TO to leave.  He had worked with these players for 2 years; knew their moves and they his.  The coaches were giving him some extended distance and that is what he needs.  He is not a center and with Keita coming in he will be able to move outside to the 4 for significant minutes which could also help his shot blocking from the weak side.  His going some place else would entail learning to play with a new bunch of players and he would probably be looked at as the center which is not going to showcase him for the next level.  He made a bad decision but I suppose most people would listen/obey their father.  I would welcome the "prodigal" son back if it does not upset the apple cart (team unity) .

goredmen

« Reply #446 on: April 08, 2018, 01:04:13 PM »
I thought when I initially heard that it was a mistake for TO to leave.  He had worked with these players for 2 years; knew their moves and they his.  The coaches were giving him some extended distance and that is what he needs.  He is not a center and with Keita coming in he will be able to move outside to the 4 for significant minutes which could also help his shot blocking from the weak side.  His going some place else would entail learning to play with a new bunch of players and he would probably be looked at as the center which is not going to showcase him for the next level.  He made a bad decision but I suppose most people would listen/obey their father.  I would welcome the "prodigal" son back if it does not upset the apple cart (team unity) .

The further away from the basket Owens is, the worse it is for us. On both ends

« Reply #447 on: April 08, 2018, 01:11:27 PM »
Place me squarely on the fence on this one depending of course on who we might bring in as a replacement. Besides the staff and TO making amends the father must be spoken to to make sure everyone is on the same page since he seems very involved in order to hopefully avoid any future potential problems for next season (ie. dad you are not going to complain if TO doesn't get more than 6 shots in a game and advise him to shoot every time he touches the ball, right?).

« Reply #448 on: April 08, 2018, 01:15:55 PM »
With Femi about to  come aboard, does Owens still have a spot?

« Reply #449 on: April 08, 2018, 01:28:21 PM »

I think it should be framed from a perspective of, of course he has a spot if he wants it, but is he/his dad/aau coach willing to accept a slightly diminished role? I feel very limited sympathy for Owens only because this seems like a very avoidable situation that only happened because of people he trusted. Owens has made himself a risk (especially in light of the LoVett saga last year), and risks should always have contingency plans. Give me the first player to commit, and if that first player is Femi, then so be it.

goredmen

« Reply #450 on: April 08, 2018, 01:45:55 PM »

Owens can take Ponds spot when he transfers to Arizona or gets suspended

paultzman

« Reply #451 on: April 08, 2018, 02:00:33 PM »
Heard Femi is being pursued by Iona also Baldi. You hear anything on that?

« Reply #452 on: April 08, 2018, 02:03:21 PM »
Bring Owens back. Let him play the 3 and 4 a bit.

goredmen

« Reply #453 on: April 08, 2018, 02:07:56 PM »

This is a terrible idea

« Reply #454 on: April 08, 2018, 02:15:11 PM »
Plenty of minutes for 3 guys at the 4/5 and that includes Owens. 

Johnny23

« Reply #455 on: April 08, 2018, 02:17:40 PM »
If Owens comes back next year and we add Femi then a tourney berth is realistic.

« Reply #456 on: April 08, 2018, 02:27:55 PM »

This is a terrible idea

Concur.

« Reply #457 on: April 08, 2018, 02:45:11 PM »
Would really like to see Owens back.  He has improved so much and with more talent around him, he could do even better.

paultzman

« Reply #458 on: April 08, 2018, 03:17:16 PM »
If Owens comes back next year and we add Femi then a tourney berth is realistic.
Won’t get both. Imo Femi would opt for more PT elsewhere if Owens stays.  I sense Matt goes for Owens or grad big & 2, possibly 3 sit out transfers

« Reply #459 on: April 08, 2018, 03:46:50 PM »
3 sit outs potentially is nice but this  team needs another big for this year. Owens is a 20-25 minute guy, matty A needs to bring in someone to compliment Keita down low.   Having Owens back is great, but we are still so thin down low.   There are minutes to go around to get a big. 

If Owens never thought about leaving, was the staff just going to sit back and look past their glaring weakness for 18-19 season?