Owens Leaving

• 545 replies

Poison

Re: Owens Leaving
« Reply #460 on: April 08, 2018, 04:39:02 PM »
With Femi about to  come aboard, does Owens still have a spot?

I think it should be framed from a perspective of, of course he has a spot if he wants it, but is he/his dad/aau coach willing to accept a slightly diminished role? I feel very limited sympathy for Owens only because this seems like a very avoidable situation that only happened because of people he trusted. Owens has made himself a risk (especially in light of the LoVett saga last year), and risks should always have contingency plans. Give me the first player to commit, and if that first player is Femi, then so be it.

When you have 6 players everyone is playing too much. Only Ponds should be out there the entire game. Owens had to be out there as much as possible and that isn’t his fault. If it wasn’t for Owens, this team wins 5 games last year. He was in over his head a lot of the time, but the guy had Yakwe and Alibegovic to help him inside. If the staff doesn’t f up this incoming class of course there will be less minutes for Owens. There can also be less minutes for Simon and Clark, too.

« Reply #461 on: April 08, 2018, 04:51:27 PM »

I think it should be framed from a perspective of, of course he has a spot if he wants it, but is he/his dad/aau coach willing to accept a slightly diminished role? I feel very limited sympathy for Owens only because this seems like a very avoidable situation that only happened because of people he trusted. Owens has made himself a risk (especially in light of the LoVett saga last year), and risks should always have contingency plans. Give me the first player to commit, and if that first player is Femi, then so be it.

When you have 6 players everyone is playing too much. Only Ponds should be out there the entire game. Owens had to be out there as much as possible and that isn’t his fault. If it wasn’t for Owens, this team wins 5 games last year. He was in over his head a lot of the time, but the guy had Yakwe and Alibegovic to help him inside. If the staff doesn’t f up this incoming class of course there will be less minutes for Owens. There can also be less minutes for Simon and Clark, too.

Absolutely. I'm just not sure how rational his dad is if he thinks Owens needs more shots and has any prospect of joining a NBA team.

Poison

« Reply #462 on: April 08, 2018, 05:05:57 PM »

Absolutely. I'm just not sure how rational his dad is if he thinks Owens needs more shots and has any prospect of joining a NBA team.

His dad may not be rational, but he is well within his right to be angry with the staff.

ras

« Reply #463 on: April 08, 2018, 05:07:08 PM »
Heard Femi is being pursued by Iona also Baldi. You hear anything on that?
If Owens comes back next year and we add Femi then a tourney berth is realistic.
Won’t get both. Imo Femi would opt for more PT elsewhere if Owens stays.  I sense Matt goes for Owens or grad big & 2, possibly 3 sit out transfers
Who would help us more next year Femi or Owens and what is the probability of Femi coming if we don’t take Owens back. Hate to loose Owens but Femi might be a better fit for us. We need an inside player. Clark is very good on the perimeter.

« Reply #464 on: April 08, 2018, 05:12:01 PM »
Should be plenty of room for both Femi and Owens.

Don’t understand why Owens would have a problem with the staff.  He has developed nicely and can’t be in a better role than he is here with his skill set.
When you're a kid from New York and you do it in New York, that lasts forever!

Poison

« Reply #465 on: April 08, 2018, 06:04:35 PM »
Should be plenty of room for both Femi and Owens.

Don’t understand why Owens would have a problem with the staff.  He has developed nicely and can’t be in a better role than he is here with his skill set.

Because he works significantly harder than they do.

MCNPA

« Reply #466 on: April 08, 2018, 09:45:38 PM »
3 sit outs potentially is nice but this  team needs another big for this year. Owens is a 20-25 minute guy, matty A needs to bring in someone to compliment Keita down low.   Having Owens back is great, but we are still so thin down low.   There are minutes to go around to get a big. 

If Owens never thought about leaving, was the staff just going to sit back and look past their glaring weakness for 18-19 season?

We have another big in Josh Roberts don’t forget...

Poison

« Reply #467 on: April 08, 2018, 10:06:50 PM »
3 sit outs potentially is nice but this  team needs another big for this year. Owens is a 20-25 minute guy, matty A needs to bring in someone to compliment Keita down low.   Having Owens back is great, but we are still so thin down low.   There are minutes to go around to get a big. 

If Owens never thought about leaving, was the staff just going to sit back and look past their glaring weakness for 18-19 season?

If that kid is getting burn in BE games we are in trouble.

MCNPA

« Reply #468 on: April 08, 2018, 10:24:15 PM »

You’re assuming? I haven’t seen enough but he's 6’10 and very athletic..  he’s still a big..
« Last Edit: April 08, 2018, 10:32:14 PM by MCNPA »

« Reply #469 on: April 08, 2018, 10:39:55 PM »
I thought Roberts was like 6'8 or 6'9.

Still good height but he's just over 200 lbs too.  Hopefully he puts on some weight over the coming months.

Poison

« Reply #470 on: April 08, 2018, 11:06:19 PM »

You’re assuming? I haven’t seen enough but he's 6’10 and very athletic..  he’s still a big..

I am absolutely assuming that a freshman ranked 228 isn’t going to be ready to contribute in the BE until his sophomore year. He’s also listed as a small forward, and right now there are potentially a half dozen small forwards on the roster next season.

We need a big man who not only can’t shoot threes, but doesn’t want to. And we need 4 of them.

MCNPA

« Reply #471 on: April 09, 2018, 12:09:44 AM »

I am absolutely assuming that a freshman ranked 228 isn’t going to be ready to contribute in the BE until his sophomore year. He’s also listed as a small forward, and right now there are potentially a half dozen small forwards on the roster next season.

We need a big man who not only can’t shoot threes, but doesn’t want to. And we need 4 of them.

Roberts is a PF type and inside player.. not 3-pt shooter.  I think most have him at 6’9 210 when I just looked. 
« Last Edit: April 09, 2018, 12:30:34 AM by MCNPA »

paultzman

« Reply #472 on: April 09, 2018, 08:16:24 AM »
Roberts is very athletic, runs court well, but still learning the game, raw. I do believe he can contribute modest minutes year one. Also, has to get stronger. He would really benefit from a good  strength & conditioning program, seemingly not a strength of SJU.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2018, 08:19:40 AM by paultzman »

Marillac

« Reply #473 on: April 09, 2018, 08:41:38 AM »
Roberts is very athletic, runs court well, but still learning the game, raw. I do believe he can contribute modest minutes year one. Also, has to get stronger. He would really benefit from a good  strength & conditioning program, seemingly not a strength of SJU.

Counting on a 3* freshman big for anything more than 5 fouls and a few minutes is not wise. Hopefully we won't be in that position. Roberts seems like a decent four year player with potential to develop into a Big East starter in a few years.

« Reply #474 on: April 09, 2018, 09:26:08 AM »

Always thought of Roberts as a Owens 2.0.  Lanky, Long arms, block shots, and very good athlete. Right now I hope this kid can come off the bench and be a spark plug, and give 10 minutes a game to spell minutes for Owens.  However, he nor Earlington, are the answer to our issues down low. 

Lots of time left, and obviously a lot of what we read are rumors, but we need a kid who has proven to be someone who will compete on the boards with every possession.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2018, 10:49:55 AM by rdstr25 »

Johnny23

« Reply #475 on: April 09, 2018, 10:18:00 AM »
This staff really has a hard time bringing true bigs in. We only have one true big on the roster in Keita. A wide body who can bang and board. Roberts is raw and lanky and will take time to develop. Clark is not much of a banger nor a big boarder. Owens makes up for his lack of girth with his shot blocking and length. Also he probably is gone. We really need another big in the worst way for next year. Femi would be a good fit for this but even with him I think one more big body would be well served here.

paultzman

« Reply #476 on: April 09, 2018, 10:19:51 AM »

Counting on a 3* freshman big for anything more than 5 fouls and a few minutes is not wise. Hopefully we won't be in that position. Roberts seems like a decent four year player with potential to develop into a Big East starter in a few years.
Agree

Poison

« Reply #477 on: April 09, 2018, 10:41:39 AM »

That reflects what I've read and what I can gather from video. If he contributes anything year one, he's exceeded my year one expectations. And in no way does that mean he can't develop into a BE player. They need Owens back, and they need another experienced big to make up for having lost Sima, would have been a senior during the 18-19 season.

redslope

« Reply #478 on: April 09, 2018, 11:42:20 AM »
Many comments on TO wanting to shoot threes; however he averaged ONE three per game.  Over 85% of his shots were inside the arc.  Overall he shot 50% so maybe he should get a few more looks-duh!

« Reply #479 on: April 09, 2018, 11:47:06 AM »
Many comments on TO wanting to shoot threes; however he averaged ONE three per game.  Over 85% of his shots were inside the arc.  Overall he shot 50% so maybe he should get a few more looks-duh!

I’m sure those 3s per number are much higher During BE play. I think 1 3 a game over a full season is fine. Problem I saw was too many “my turn” shots that weren’t best for him.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.