March 1999 Elite Eight or 2018-19?

• 26 replies

jr49

Re: March 1999 Elite Eight or 2018-19?
« Reply #20 on: October 15, 2018, 10:50:10 AM »
SCOONIE PENN FOULED ERICK BARKLEY
Barkley said he had to get stronger because Penn bounced him off the ball when cutting him off. Did EB complain?

TONYD3

« Reply #21 on: October 15, 2018, 12:35:12 PM »

Marillac

« Reply #22 on: October 15, 2018, 03:43:10 PM »
Artest was a better frontcourt player than anyone you listed. Postell, Jessie and Thornton all rebounded.

That's my whole point😉 That team played forwards up front and won. Paging Justin Simon.

The 98-99 team didn’t have depth but they had great talent and defined roles. Barkley was a true point. Bootsy was a shooter. But up and down the roster, these guys played tough no matter the opponent. I’d love to see this new group of talent bring that same energy to the court for every game, but that is asking a lot. Simon and Heron seem to have that toughness. I don’t know who else does.

Other than Barkley and Grant that was the least role-defined team Jarvis had. Artest and Jessie played PG through center, Gray and Postell played three positions, and Bootsy played a few.

I am a huge proponent of structure in the college game. I'm worried that Mullin's philosophy of letting them play will lead to the same result as Lavin. The only way it works is if you continually focus the team on rebounding and defense. The scariest thing about a versatile wing oriented lineup is keeping them all off the glass.

« Reply #23 on: October 15, 2018, 08:26:03 PM »
If you remember Ohio State beat us at the garden the next season a game I thought we had won in final seconds

TONYD3

« Reply #24 on: October 16, 2018, 07:49:00 AM »
If you remember Ohio State beat us at the garden the next season a game I thought we had won in final seconds
Scoonie penn had a great game also. Ken whatever his last name had like 10 blocks

« Reply #25 on: October 16, 2018, 10:17:14 AM »
Scoonie penn had a great game also. Ken whatever his last name had like 10 blocks

Ken Johnson, who hurt us in the NCAA game too.

Ohio State was the 4 seed in that region, Auburn the 1 seed.  However, I believe now, as I did then, that if we were to play Auburn in the regional final, then you could have packed your ticket for Tampa, and the Final Four.  OSU had Johnson, which turned us into a jump shooting team (we could make outside shots, but usually only after penetrating, and kicking out), and Penn and Redd were one of the few backcourts that could keep up with ours, so we had no advantages.

Ironically, when they were all playing each other, I always rated Michael Redd fourth amongst the starting guards in terms of who I would most want on my team (not a knock on him, I just thought that Barkley, Penn, and Bootsy were better college players), yet he went on to have the longest NBA career.  I guess height at the guard spot can't be taught.

« Reply #26 on: October 16, 2018, 03:25:13 PM »
1998-99 team was a fantastic we can only wish this team plays like that squad. Barkley and Bootsy big difference makers. Ron was all word that year. I just wished we would’ve got play UConn in Natl’Semi-Final thought 3rd time would’ve been the charm. Hate Scoonie Penn to this day!

I hate Ken Johnson, 12-13 blcks, take that away, we win.