Game day at Rutgers

• 71 replies

QuanMan

Re: Game day at Rutgers
« Reply #20 on: November 11, 2018, 07:44:29 PM »
https://www.app.com/story/sports/college/2018/11/11/rutgers-basketball-drexel/1942437002/

3. Showdown looming

Let the hype begin. St. John’s will bring one of the nation’s most talented backcourts to the RAC, one with three potential pros.

“We know a lot about St. John’s,” Omoruyi said. “That’s been marked on our calendar.”

The student turnout was way down Sunday after they packed the baseline section Friday. Which will it be for game three?

“If they bring the energy we had for the Seton Hall game last year, that will really get us hyped,” Omoruyi said.

The Johnnies’ engine is run by Shamorie Ponds, the preseason Big East Player of the Year. Rutgers edged Ponds and the Red Storm in an exhibition last November.

“It’s a really good test for us,” Baker said. “We want to see where we’re at.”
Section 3
Section 116

Poison

« Reply #21 on: November 11, 2018, 08:26:56 PM »
I think it’s helpful that 1/3 of our guys played in this emvironment last year. Hopefully, they’re looking forward to some payback.

« Reply #22 on: November 11, 2018, 09:00:28 PM »
I didn’t see either one, but I’m not used to Rutgers wining back to back games by 30+ points against anyone.

It’s clearly too soon to judge either team, but it’s not unreasonable to expect that we’ve worked on some of the things that we did poorly on Friday such as playing defense and moving on offense.

The excuse that we haven’t played together doesn’t hold water when it’s an apples to apples comparison. This isn’t a Rutgers team that’s been through the battles together year after year. They’re rebuilding to.
But WE ARE ST JOHN'S! We have dozens of build in excuses year after year. Aren't you a St. John's fan and don't you already know this.

Marillac

« Reply #23 on: November 12, 2018, 07:49:55 AM »
After five games we are going to have a top 25-50 SOS and we still have Princeton, @Duke, and a neutral court game with Ga Tech left.

If you count Temple/VCU we have at least 24 games against high majors and 15 of them are away from home. #thatsnoteasy

LoganK

« Reply #24 on: November 12, 2018, 08:02:32 AM »
After five games we are going to have a top 25-50 SOS and we still have Princeton, @Duke, and a neutral court game with Ga Tech left.

If you count Temple/VCU we have at least 24 games against high majors and 15 of them are away from home. #thatsnoteasy
Top 25-50 SOS after 5?  I love the optimism, but I must have missed part of this conversation.  Using Kenpom rankings (because that's the window I have open right now) we're currently at 252 SOS.  I don't see how games @119, semi-home vs 173, and home vs 337 will somehow jump us up over 200 spots in SOS.  FWIW, BPI has our current SOS at 269.

Poison

« Reply #25 on: November 12, 2018, 08:44:15 AM »

I think you are kidding yourself.

In the BE/Big Ten Challenge, which is why we are playing Rutgers, what team would be an easier opponent?

Maybe we are better off with a lighter schedule so an inexperienced or inept staff can have more time to understand what they have to work with. 

We have not had a schedule this easy since Norm Roberts was coach and we’d get trounced by Duke annually and lose to Virginia Tech by 10 at MSG in front 3,000 tortured fans. 

There is very little room for error here, and it’s silly to deny that.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2018, 08:45:17 AM by Poison »

Poison

« Reply #26 on: November 12, 2018, 08:47:16 AM »
I didn’t see either one, but I’m not used to Rutgers wining back to back games by 30+ points against anyone.

It’s clearly too soon to judge either team, but it’s not unreasonable to expect that we’ve worked on some of the things that we did poorly on Friday such as playing defense and moving on offense.

The excuse that we haven’t played together doesn’t hold water when it’s an apples to apples comparison. This isn’t a Rutgers team that’s been through the battles together year after year. They’re rebuilding to.
But WE ARE ST JOHN'S! We have dozens of build in excuses year after year. Aren't you a St. John's fan and don't you already know this.

It would really be a shame if Mullin wasted this roster, but many of us thought we had a strong roster last season, and he wasted it.

« Reply #27 on: November 12, 2018, 10:35:11 AM »

Top 25-50 SOS after 5?  I love the optimism, but I must have missed part of this conversation.  Using Kenpom rankings (because that's the window I have open right now) we're currently at 252 SOS.  I don't see how games @119, semi-home vs 173, and home vs 337 will somehow jump us up over 200 spots in SOS.  FWIW, BPI has our current SOS at 269.
You are not using the Marillac SJU math.

« Reply #28 on: November 12, 2018, 10:44:20 AM »

"Semi-home" is a KenPom construct, and you are missing the second game in the legends classic.  @119, neutral for 173 and neutral for 83 or 126 will round out our first five games.

Marillac probably overshoots it but he isn't that far off.

LoganK

« Reply #29 on: November 12, 2018, 11:55:58 AM »

"Semi-home" is a KenPom construct, and you are missing the second game in the legends classic.  @119, neutral for 173 and neutral for 83 or 126 will round out our first five games.

Most ratings take things like "semi-home" into consideration.  However, even using the best case scenarios for our purposes, @119, neutral 173 and 83 will not jump our SOS by 200 spots.  I'll be pleasantly surprised if it's any higher than top 150 after 5.  Thankfully the conference is strong enough that a good BE showing will make all that irrelevant (barring something catastrophic).
« Last Edit: November 12, 2018, 11:56:40 AM by LoganK »

Marillac

« Reply #30 on: November 12, 2018, 01:25:11 PM »

I think you are kidding yourself.

In the BE/Big Ten Challenge, which is why we are playing Rutgers, what team would be an easier opponent?

Maybe we are better off with a lighter schedule so an inexperienced or inept staff can have more time to understand what they have to work with. 

We have not had a schedule this easy since Norm Roberts was coach and we’d get trounced by Duke annually and lose to Virginia Tech by 10 at MSG in front 3,000 tortured fans. 

There is very little room for error here, and it’s silly to deny that.

Most ratings take things like "semi-home" into consideration.  However, even using the best case scenarios for our purposes, @119, neutral 173 and 83 will not jump our SOS by 200 spots.  I'll be pleasantly surprised if it's any higher than top 150 after 5.  Thankfully the conference is strong enough that a good BE showing will make all that irrelevant (barring something catastrophic).

Those rankings are based on 1-2 games and will change drastically.

There aren't 50 teams that will have a tougher first five games than St. John's when the rankings settle. I am assuming a Temple face off in this.

I think our schedule is fine. We need to get Roberts and Williams minutes and can only do that against cupcakes. We also need to get four new players mixed in to an 8 man main rotation. That takes time.

« Reply #31 on: November 12, 2018, 02:17:00 PM »
I go by name recognition:

Duke, Vcu, Temple, Georgia Tech, California, Princeton, Rutgers

These are known basketball entities.  I can't say that it makes for a top level out of conference schedule...but I can't see how it comprises a bottom level one either. 

Marillac

« Reply #32 on: November 12, 2018, 05:03:21 PM »

These are known basketball entities.  I can't say that it makes for a top level out of conference schedule...but I can't see how it comprises a bottom level one either. 

This is your best post in some time. I think this schedule is pretty close to perfect for this team.

TONYD3

« Reply #33 on: November 12, 2018, 05:20:46 PM »

This is your best post in some time. I think this schedule is pretty close to perfect for this team.
We have a veteran team expected to go the tournament. Schedule should be better. It should also be more fun.
VCU- no Shaka- mid major
Rutgers, Georgia tech, cal- have all been terrible. Expected to be either last or close to it in their conference.

From December 2- 29th nothing resembling a good game is on the schedule.
I haven’t had season tickets in a few years. I would be furious if I paid money to for this shit. I don’t believe the crappy tournament in Brooklyn is part of season tickets anyway. UConn playing Syracuse same week in the garden.
Some of you can spin anything.

Marillac

« Reply #34 on: November 12, 2018, 05:34:08 PM »

We have a veteran team expected to go the tournament. Schedule should be better. It should also be more fun.
VCU- no Shaka- mid major
Rutgers, Georgia tech, cal- have all been terrible. Expected to be either last or close to it in their conference.

I haven’t had season tickets in a few years. I would be furious if I paid money to for this shit. I don’t believe the crappy tournament in Brooklyn is part of season tickets anyway. UConn playing Syracuse same week in the garden.

We have an eight man rotation with four of those players being new--including our second best player (at worst). That's not your typical veteran lineup.

goredmen

« Reply #35 on: November 12, 2018, 05:42:56 PM »

VCU- no Shaka- mid major

We have an eight man rotation with four of those players being new--including our second best player (at worst). That's not your typical veteran lineup.

Seton Hall lost a ton more than we did, returned far less than we did and have a significantly stronger schedule than us. As do the rest of the BE teams that expect to be in the hunt for an NCAA tourney bid in March.

TONYD3

« Reply #36 on: November 12, 2018, 05:58:38 PM »

VCU- no Shaka- mid major

So we will never have have good schedule because every year players leave? This is year 4. Teams don’t get better playing Wagner and other cupcakes.This schedule is just another mistake.

« Reply #37 on: November 12, 2018, 06:15:28 PM »
A soft November-December schedule never hurt Syracuse before the Big East schedule started. Some of these teams may surprise this year, we just don't know which ones.

The schedule is what it is, at this point. It is up to the coaches and players to take care of business one opponent, one game, at a time.

Foad

« Reply #38 on: November 12, 2018, 06:38:48 PM »
Seton Hall lost a ton more than we did, returned far less than we did and have a significantly stronger schedule than us. As do the rest of the BE teams that expect to be in the hunt for an NCAA tourney bid in March.

What's more important: beating the bad teams on your schedule or losing to the good teams on your schedule? If SH loses to Louisville, Kentucky and @ Maryland loses either to Nebraska on the road or Rutgers - which game Rutgers has circled on their calendar evidently - that's 4 OOC losses, which if they go .500 in the BE, that make them carry the one charitably (and approximately) 17-16, five of those wins comprising impressive victories over St Louis, Sacred Heart, Grand Canyon State, New Hampshire and Wagner.

Come on now. That's barely a CBI resume, if there even is a CBI anymore.

Foad

« Reply #39 on: November 12, 2018, 06:47:48 PM »
Teams don’t get better playing Wagner and other cupcakes.This schedule is just another mistake.

Perhaps you were in the toilet and didn't notice but Louie managed to make the HOF by beating the Wagners of the world.

The last time SJ made the tournament they won 21 games, which wins included 9 cupcakes: NJIT, Franklin Pierce, LIU, Niagara, Fairly Ridiculous, Fordham, St Mary's, Long Beach State and Tulane Was that just another mistake stupid?