Who’s on your St.John’s All Transfer Team
« on: November 14, 2018, 09:48:13 PM »
(Current staff only)

Samir Doughty - PG
Malik Ellison SG
Sid Wilson - SF
Kassoum Yakwe - PF
Tariq Owens - C

While we could certainly use Owens right now, all things considered, the only player who compares to Ponds, Heron and Figueroa is Doughty, and the recruits usually leave unless there’s a great coach coming in.

You know, like Jarvis.

Re: Who’s on your St.John’s All Transfer Team
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2018, 12:29:43 AM »
Roshown Mcleod

Foad

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2018, 08:06:58 AM »
(Current staff only)

Samir Doughty - PG
Malik Ellison SG
Sid Wilson - SF
Kassoum Yakwe - PF
Tariq Owens - C

Two guys who graduated, two guys who never enrolled, and one guy who was half as good as his father when his father was twice his age. Besides which you left off Elijah Holifield, it's barely a year since you created an entire thread devoted to him transferring, how soon they forget. Really a poor effort on your part.

TONYD3

« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2018, 08:09:53 AM »
Roshown Mcleod
That was a bad one. Elijah Ingram had a good few seasons so where at west. He made the tournament at least once.

Johnny23

« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2018, 08:11:40 AM »
J'Raan Brooks...oh wait.

Johnny23

« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2018, 08:12:59 AM »
That was a bad one. Elijah Ingram had a good few seasons so where at west. He made the tournament at least once.

That was the end of the line of getting any players from Bob Hurley, Sr. Johnnies blew that bridge to smitherines.

« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2018, 09:12:53 AM »
I think Brandon Sampson had one good season at LSU.  I'm sure he would've put up better numbers with more playing time here.

Poison

« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2018, 09:22:07 AM »
Two guys who graduated, two guys who never enrolled, and one guy who was half as good as his father when his father was twice his age. Besides which you left off Elijah Holifield, it's barely a year since you created an entire thread devoted to him transferring, how soon they forget. Really a poor effort on your part.

I said current staff only, and my point was actually in favor of the staff. Sorry you missed that. Ellison doesn't make this team better than Simon. Yakwe doesn't make it better than Figueroa.

We don't know for certain that the transfer strategy isn't working. It may yet.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2018, 09:22:58 AM by Poison »

Poison

« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2018, 09:24:06 AM »
I think Brandon Sampson had one good season at LSU.  I'm sure he would've put up better numbers with more playing time here.

Forgot about him. He was a good player, and he certainly would helped Mullin in year one, but he's not better than Ponds and Heron, and he's not a natural point, so I'd say he's a loss but not a program changing one by any means.

Poison

« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2018, 09:26:13 AM »
Roshown Mcleod

That was one transfer where the blame belongs to St.John's. He was misused. He may not have been a team player, but he was not a big man, and Mahoney wouldn't that.

derk

« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2018, 09:35:46 AM »

Foad

« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2018, 10:33:06 AM »
I said current staff only, and my point was actually in favor of the staff. Sorry you missed that. Ellison doesn't make this team better than Simon. Yakwe doesn't make it better than Figueroa.

We don't know for certain that the transfer strategy isn't working. It may yet.

I understood your point. Mine was that players who graduate aren't transfers and neither are players who never played. I'd have mentioned Obekpa, he transferred to UNLV, and Jordan, who transferred to prison.

« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2018, 10:58:46 AM »
Forgot about him. He was a good player, and he certainly would helped Mullin in year one, but he's not better than Ponds and Heron, and he's not a natural point, so I'd say he's a loss but not a program changing one by any means.
Definitely agree. If keeping Sampson means they wouldn't have gone after Ponds then I'm glad things worked out the way they did.

« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2018, 11:28:20 AM »

Sampson gave a verbal to Lavin in January of his senior year.  Sampson wanted to go to LSU from the very beginning but LSU gave a ship to a much higher rated recruit named Antonio Blakeney so they felt they didn't need another guard.  Later in the spring semester LSU reconsidered their position and offered a ship to Sampson and that was that.

Blakeney was rated as a 5 star recruit by Rivals, ESPN, and 247 Sports. Rivals had him as the #13 overall recruit, while ESPN had him at #15 and 247 at #16. Both ESPN and 247 ranked him as the #3 SG in the nation.

redslope

« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2018, 12:28:38 PM »
How quickly they forget Duane Polee. 

« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2018, 12:29:59 PM »
The Point Guard who I shall not name is name who quit on the team.

Then you have Obekpa. I could of only imagined the possibilities of what our defense could of looked like with him and Owens on the floor at the same time.   :D

TONYD3

« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2018, 01:07:22 PM »
He had a very good career at San Diego. He became a decent shooter. Never expected that.

« Reply #17 on: November 15, 2018, 01:45:54 PM »
and how to spell his first name LOL (Dwayne).

Foad

« Reply #18 on: November 15, 2018, 02:08:10 PM »
He had a very good career at San Diego.

15 mpg, 6 pts, 2 rebs, .5 assists, 43% FG, 33% 3 pt, 68% FT.

"Very good career."

Poison

« Reply #19 on: November 15, 2018, 02:52:22 PM »
15 mpg, 6 pts, 2 rebs, .5 assists, 43% FG, 33% 3 pt, 68% FT.

"Very good career."

Yeah, but he was an All American in the one and only game he played against us.