Game 5: Legends Classic Championship: VCU (ESPN2, 970 AM)

• 200 replies

goredmen

Re: Game 5: Legends Classic Championship: VCU (ESPN2, 970 AM)
« Reply #120 on: November 20, 2018, 10:11:29 PM »
We aren't a very good team yet, Einstein. I'm not writing in code. This has been my point all along. We have a few stops on the train before we get to that level.

Like I said before, there's no reason to think with confidence that we are going to improve at an accelerated pace compared to other teams. We aren't inexperienced and we don't have a great coach. Why are we going to become so much better while other teams don't?

Foad

« Reply #121 on: November 20, 2018, 10:11:49 PM »
Big break on the missed FT's there.

Ball don't lie.

Marillac

« Reply #122 on: November 20, 2018, 10:12:18 PM »
That play at the end where Heron got the first offensive board and put up a good layup that was rebounded and put back by Figueroa was 98-99 defined in one play. Offensive rebkunding is lethal. It was one of the best team plays I've seen in a long time.

Ponds is amazing. Clark needs to have his dribbling privileges revoked. Simon's shot looks worse than ever. Fran even said multiple times that he would not even guard him.

Poison

« Reply #123 on: November 20, 2018, 10:14:05 PM »
Shamorie is super clutch and can win us any close game if we give him the tiniest bit of help. He's really that good. BIG W for us. I just don't know why Fran seemed almost anti-us tonight...anyone else think that? Very weird

I thought Fran made great points. He’s calling for St.John’s to work together.

I actually think he gives us credit all the time. So does Lavin, and Lavin did it right after he was told to take a hike.

Marillac

« Reply #124 on: November 20, 2018, 10:19:52 PM »
Like I said before, there's no reason to think with confidence that we are going to improve at an accelerated pace compared to other teams. We aren't inexperienced and we don't have a great coach. Why are we going to become so much better while other teams don't?

Our second best player has been here for 5 games. Our third best player has just one year one year of college experience and that was in JUCO...and he's been here five gsmes. Our center played less than 10 mpg at a different school two seasons ago and has played two games here. Our sixth man has played here for 5 games and previously played at a low D1 level for a year. We have no chemistry and very little continuity but extreme talent. We have the best trio in the country in terms of RSCI rank and experience (weighted equally).

Next year we figure to have less talent but we will have more continuity/team experience and won't need as much time to gel.

If you don't get that than you don't really understand basketball.

Marillac

« Reply #125 on: November 20, 2018, 10:21:31 PM »
I thought Fran made great points. He’s calling for St.John’s to work together.

I actually think he gives us credit all the time. So does Lavin, and Lavin did it right after he was told to take a hike.

Fran obviously loves Mullin so that helps. Lavin is visibly uncomfortable discussing us.

Foad

« Reply #126 on: November 20, 2018, 10:21:37 PM »
I was wrong. He can and he did

He's preternatural. SJU has had some good players. He's not good. He's magic, as supernatural as Mullin and  Berry and Hatten. It's an honor to watch him play.

« Reply #127 on: November 20, 2018, 10:23:31 PM »
Nice win- 5-0 is 5-0, but record is weighted differently because it’s who you play and who you beat. The constant fouls is all on a mentality to want to play defense which we haven’t at this point- minus RU. Mullin has to start coaching up this team, which he doesn’t know how but he has to figure out a way to make this team defend the 3. 4 years running now and team just continuously gets beat off dribble and allows open shots from behind arc. This kid Figueroa is a star in making, slow, but a legit scorer. We need to keep moving ball and stop the one and chuck. 6-22from 3 I think, with one shot coming from fig from 40 feet out with 15 or more seconds on shot clock.

Again 5-0 is great and sometimes avoiding bad loses can be as good as getting a good win.

wpc77

« Reply #128 on: November 20, 2018, 10:25:08 PM »
Our second best player has been here for 5 games. Our third best player has just one year one year of college experience and that was in JUCO...and he's been here five gsmes. Our center played less than 10 mpg at a different school two seasons ago and has played two games here. Our sixth man has played here for 5 games and previously played at a low D1 level for a year. We have no chemistry and very little continuity but extreme talent. We have the best trio in the country in terms of RSCI rank and experience (weighted equally).

Next year we figure to have less talent but we will have more continuity/team experience and won't need as much time to gel.

Well said.  The bunch is completely new together.  I hate the schedule in the abstract but it makes sense when you are breaking in so many new key players.

Marillac

« Reply #129 on: November 20, 2018, 10:25:20 PM »
He's preternatural. SJU has had some good players. He's not good. He's magic, as supernatural as Mullin and  Berry and Hatten. It's an honor to watch him play.

He is better than Hatten, but I'm glad you've come around.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2018, 10:25:49 PM by Marillac »

« Reply #130 on: November 20, 2018, 10:30:05 PM »
We need to share the ball. When the team is passing looking for open man and getting open look thing of beauty. Team needs to defend better. Heron is a very solid player. A guy who was good player on that Auburn team. He would’ve helped them against Duke tonight. Someone bring Anthony Glover in to show Clark what he is supposed to do.

goredmen

« Reply #131 on: November 20, 2018, 10:33:27 PM »

This argument would make sense if this was 1980. But it's 2018. There is tremendous turnover in college basketball these days. Almost every team is dealing with similar issues and many teams would kill to have our experience/continuity.

« Reply #132 on: November 20, 2018, 10:39:52 PM »
We are def not a very good team yet. We're are maybe slightly above average but 5-0 is 5-0 and they have time to gel. All good experience and I find it unlikely that Heron plays this poorly again. Basically we played really really poorly and still won against a solid team. Still have a TON of work to do.
You would think but I said the same thing when I heard he went 1-10 vs Rhoddy in the scrimmage. Hard to figure especially because he got stuffed by the rim about 3 times tonight. To good a player for this to happen and playing like this it was almost like he was drugged tonight (like George Forman said he was when he lost to Ali).

« Reply #133 on: November 20, 2018, 10:43:32 PM »
Nice win- 5-0 is 5-0, but record is weighted differently because it’s who you play and who you beat. The constant fouls is all on a mentality to want to play defense which we haven’t at this point- minus RU. Mullin has to start coaching up this team, which he doesn’t know how but he has to figure out a way to make this team defend the 3. 4 years running now and team just continuously gets beat off dribble and allows open shots from behind arc. This kid Figueroa is a star in making, slow, but a legit scorer. We need to keep moving ball and stop the one and chuck. 6-22from 3 I think, with one shot coming from fig from 40 feet out with 15 or more seconds on shot clock.

Again 5-0 is great and sometimes avoiding bad loses can be as good as getting a good win.
Figgy slow? I disagree.

« Reply #134 on: November 20, 2018, 10:47:33 PM »
LJ is so steady out there. His usage rate needs to go way up imo. Get him the ball anywhere and he is a threat.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

cjfish

« Reply #135 on: November 20, 2018, 10:51:08 PM »
Won with Herron off and Clark ridiculous (he should not be permitted to drive)  Ponds is the man, efficient last night, volume shooter tonight.  Nice game by Dixon. Ponds has a bit to big a chip on his shoulder, almost cost the game with a terrible technical.  I like Fig a lot, needs the ball more.

« Reply #136 on: November 20, 2018, 10:55:22 PM »
Figgy slow? I disagree.

He can’t beat man off dribble which is y he goes step back so much. Ponds different, smaller guy who needs separation. I really like fig a lot and has a motor that doesn’t stop but he is slow.

Poison

« Reply #137 on: November 20, 2018, 11:10:28 PM »
LJ is so steady out there. His usage rate needs to go way up imo. Get him the ball anywhere and he is a threat.

Simon missed Figueroa constantly tonight. I think they need to involve Dixon in distributing the offense. Can’t do any worse on the break than Simon and the kid hit some big shots tonight.

Johnny23

« Reply #138 on: November 20, 2018, 11:16:29 PM »
Dixon is this team's version of the Microwave, for those on here old enough to remember. Instant O when he comes in. Need to get him more minutes.

« Reply #139 on: November 20, 2018, 11:28:28 PM »
Thought Fran was a bit off base saying that last shot was a foul in every gym in America. Couldn’t tell from that angle there was contact and it was slight at that. Did feel he sort of had a chip.