Game 5: Legends Classic Championship: VCU (ESPN2, 970 AM)

• 200 replies

SJUFAN

Re: Game 5: Legends Classic Championship: VCU (ESPN2, 970 AM)
« Reply #160 on: November 21, 2018, 06:25:01 AM »
Why is it embarrassing to see St. Jean demo'ing plays in huddle? We've actually been incredibly good coming out of timeouts this season.

I think the staff dynamic is actually pretty solid this year. Mitch looks like he's more vocal this year and offering instruction.

It’s not this season Dave, it’s been four years. When you see how undisciplined the team plays as well its bad optics.

« Reply #161 on: November 21, 2018, 06:25:20 AM »
by the way watch temple decimate cal who st John's could barely beat

Can we realize now how dumb this line of thinking is? Yea they beat up on Cal. They also lost to vcu who we just beat by 1 point. Translation = you only play the team that’s in front of you. 
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

« Reply #162 on: November 21, 2018, 06:25:29 AM »
I am extremely happy we are 5-0. I am by no means trying to be negative at all, but I feel that some are you are delusional over shamories stat line. I love him and thing he is a phenomenal talent and has some crazy games where these ridiculous shots fall, but the truth of the matter is that he really does not play winning basketball, YET. He is at his best when he starts to heat up from mid range taking smart shots like he did on monday night from the high post which lead him to attacking the rim and scoring.

This one on one garbage when you have so many other weapons on the floor with you will not lead to winning basketball here, instead it will lead to barely beating the likes of Cal, and Bowling Green, both of which we should have run out of the gym with the talent we have. He was told to do more than score to impress NBA scouts and this season I have seen way more 1-1 stuff than I ever have before end he has more weapons in LJ and Heron. They were visibly annoyed at some of the shots he was taking and not creating for his teammates. This team is highly undisciplined in the decisions they make and the shots they take. Ponds taking shots from basically half court and not even letting anyone else touch he ball? come on. If they do not share the ball I believe that in the Big East we will nail biters each time out. Just my two cents.

« Reply #163 on: November 21, 2018, 06:40:38 AM »
I am extremely happy we are 5-0. I am by no means trying to be negative at all, but I feel that some are you are delusional over shamories stat line. I love him and thing he is a phenomenal talent and has some crazy games where these ridiculous shots fall, but the truth of the matter is that he really does not play winning basketball, YET. He is at his best when he starts to heat up from mid range taking smart shots like he did on monday night from the high post which lead him to attacking the rim and scoring.

This one on one garbage when you have so many other weapons on the floor with you will not lead to winning basketball here, instead it will lead to barely beating the likes of Cal, and Bowling Green, both of which we should have run out of the gym with the talent we have. He was told to do more than score to impress NBA scouts and this season I have seen way more 1-1 stuff than I ever have before end he has more weapons in LJ and Heron. They were visibly annoyed at some of the shots he was taking and not creating for his teammates. This team is highly undisciplined in the decisions they make and the shots they take. Ponds taking shots from basically half court and not even letting anyone else touch he ball? come on. If they do not share the ball I believe that in the Big East we will nail biters each time out. Just my two cents.

Absolutely he needs to give the ball up quicker and move better when he doesn’t have it. Last night heron and Clark didn’t have it. In my mind LJ is the one he needs the ball more to make plays for others.

SJUFAN

« Reply #164 on: November 21, 2018, 07:24:58 AM »
This is one of the worst posts in forum history. Our second and third best players (by a mile) are brand f*cking new. We weren't good last year. We were horrible the two years before that. Do you guys get that?
You act like other programs don’t have to deal with player turnover, this doesn’t seem to bother Duke this year or most programs. We are not as talented as those Duke freshman granted, but if you listen to some on this board we have 4 NBA players on our team, 3 of which are upperclassmen. We are not Duke, and Bowling Green and Cal aren’t Kentucky and Auburn either. It’s clear the team has things they will need to improve upon, you subscriber to the notion that they need to “gel” when I believe there is more evidence to suggest that the teams flaws lies with the coaching. Time will tell but don’t believe my position is off base.

To expect to go from a team that was staring a WINLESS conference slate in the face last year to being a team that actually does something in March in five games is beyond unreasonable.

That makes some sense although it’s curious you chose to look at the team that started conference play and not the team that finished it. The same team that was able to beat Duke and Villanova. From that perspective it’s not unreasonable to expect us to handle lessor talented teams fairly easily this season after the additions of LJ and Heron.

I'm not even sure I'd label us good yet. VCU is about as good of a team that we can beat right now.

We have four NBA players, the pre-season Big East player of the year and VCU, a team that was picked to finish at the bottom of the A10, is as good of a team that we can beat? I’m not disputing that, but the reality of that comment isn’t frightening to you? I hope this staff can get the team to play better, but 5-0 is 5-0.

You can throw whatever we got from Simon last year out the window. His role will be completely different in three weeks and each game gets us a little closer.
His role may change but his overall production shouldn’t go down.

« Reply #165 on: November 21, 2018, 08:17:09 AM »
Need to figure out 4-5 min for Roberts moving forward. We can't continuously play soft defense due to foul trouble or lack of size. I'd rather Roberts have 4 min, 2 rebounds, 3 fouls then watch our guys let people go past them.

Would like to see Williams get some burn over Trimble. Trimble can't put the ball in the hoop or the ball on the floor. Until he's hitting shots his leash needs to shorten.
Need to figure out 4-5 min for Roberts moving forward. We can't continuously play soft defense due to foul trouble or lack of size. I'd rather Roberts have 4 min, 2 rebounds, 3 fouls then watch our guys let people go past them.

Would like to see Williams get some burn over Trimble. Trimble can't put the ball in the hoop or the ball on the floor. Until he's hitting shots his leash needs to shorten.
Totally agree. Hope the staff makes this move ASAP. Williams is a 4 star recruit and needs to get playing time so he can be a contributor this season. 

Tha Kid

« Reply #166 on: November 21, 2018, 09:02:33 AM »
Not taking away from the clutch ness and brilliance of ponds as a basketball talent, but that was disgusting basketball.  No movement, no passing, basically just shamorie going 1 on 5.  That’s not going to work usually and the staff should be embarrassed it happened for so long.  Get mustapha and LJ involved!  Going to be a long season if that’s our plan.
"I drink and I know things"

Foad

« Reply #167 on: November 21, 2018, 09:04:43 AM »
I have no idea why people are bitching so much.

You must be new.

Foad

« Reply #168 on: November 21, 2018, 09:08:50 AM »
He is better than Hatten, but I'm glad you've come around.

I had nothing to come around to. I said two years ago SP was the best freshman at SJ since Mullin or maybe ever. The comparison to Hatten is based on their effects on the game. But they're completely different players, the big difference being that Hatten played defense and Ponds doesn't pretend to.

« Reply #169 on: November 21, 2018, 09:33:06 AM »
The ball movement on offense was non existent last night.  Ponds dribbling in isolation at the top of the key while the other 4 guys stand around is a recipe for disaster when he is off.  Moreover, the iso ball is infectious - the more Ponds tries to do it all himself, the more Heron and Clark look for their own shot when they finally get a touch.

The problem is masked somewhat by Shamorie's unique ability to hit difficult shots and get to the line.  But they are still fairly low percentage shots and they are not necessary given the other offensive weapons in our arsenal.  When we move the ball around the perimeter and get a few quick paint touches, things open up for Figueroa and Clark from deep.  I'd love to see Ponds work more with Heron and Simon inside and out to get us better looks. 

Fran was killing Ponds all night on this front, and he was absolutely right.  We will never maximize our potential as a team with Ponds' usage rate at this level.  Hard to argue with 5-0, but the critical posts on this thread are spot on.

Foad

« Reply #170 on: November 21, 2018, 10:36:22 AM »
Why is it embarrassing to see St. Jean demo'ing plays in huddle? We've actually been incredibly good coming out of timeouts this season.

I think the staff dynamic is actually pretty solid this year. Mitch looks like he's more vocal this year and offering instruction.

The fan base spent the entire summer obsessing about whether a new assistant would be added and bemoaning that he wasn't and playing where's waldo with MR and then when they see an assistant actually doing something it's an embarrassment.

Foad

« Reply #171 on: November 21, 2018, 10:42:55 AM »
you subscribe to the notion that they need to “gel”

I subscribe to the notion that we are taking incremental or baby steps or strides up the hill or mountain with a view to playing our best basketball in February on our way to a magic carpet in March. Isn't that how it's supposed to work?

« Reply #172 on: November 21, 2018, 10:51:15 AM »
Anyone else find it odd that a freshman who has barely played entered the game with seconds to go instead of Trimble?

Not that I’m campaigning for Trimble after the way he’s played, but that’s an odd decision.

Size and speed? IDK I thought it made sense but agree at same time it was puzzling that was first time we saw it.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #173 on: November 21, 2018, 10:55:45 AM »
Size and speed? IDK I thought it made sense but agree at same time it was puzzling that was first time we saw it.

With Clark and heron out, and them at the line, I thought Roberts for rebounding made more sense.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2018, 10:56:04 AM by Amaseinyourface2 »

« Reply #174 on: November 21, 2018, 10:59:35 AM »
Not taking away from the clutch ness and brilliance of ponds as a basketball talent, but that was disgusting basketball.  No movement, no passing, basically just shamorie going 1 on 5.  That’s not going to work usually and the staff should be embarrassed it happened for so long.  Get mustapha and LJ involved!  Going to be a long season if that’s our plan.

Mustapha and Clark couldn't throw the ball in the ocean last night. Both were off and Ponds usage rate was extremely high but at the same time he was incredibly efficient. He got to the line 15 times, made 12, had 7 assists, 7 steals, with only 1 TO.

I think everything changes when Sedee comes back.

« Reply #175 on: November 21, 2018, 11:00:24 AM »
With Clark and heron out, and them at the line, I thought Roberts for rebounding made more sense.

Maybe valued ball security more?

« Reply #176 on: November 21, 2018, 11:00:41 AM »
First let me say I'm glad we won, it's nice to come out on top of such a back and forth game. If we played team basketball this team would be such a joy to watch. We have legit talent. With how down the rest of the conference looks, we def can win it. But we need to play as a team for that to happen. Williams and Roberts should be playing going forward. Trimble has value coming in and playing high energy defense, but he shouldn't be playing more than ten minutes a game. I would like to see a unit in the floor where the offense goes through Dixon and Figgy. Ponds had seven dimes to 1TO last night, he could have easily had more in a team oriented style of play. What a thrilling game to watch though, can't argue with 5-0 but we can always look to improve.

« Reply #177 on: November 21, 2018, 11:27:04 AM »
Mustapha and Clark couldn't throw the ball in the ocean last night. Both were off and Ponds usage rate was extremely high but at the same time he was incredibly efficient. He got to the line 15 times, made 12, had 7 assists, 7 steals, with only 1 TO.

I think everything changes when Sedee comes back.

BTW, I saw Sedee in the stands, and purely based on him having a full cast, with a full leg brace, and crutches, I wouldn't be shocked if he missed the entire season.

« Reply #178 on: November 21, 2018, 11:34:58 AM »
BTW, I saw Sedee in the stands, and purely based on him having a full cast, with a full leg brace, and crutches, I wouldn't be shocked if he missed the entire season.

Thank god no wheelchair. But seriously, hopefully there is nothing more than the 4-6 weeks we were told originally.

SJUFAN

« Reply #179 on: November 21, 2018, 12:03:51 PM »
I subscribe to the notion that we are taking incremental or baby steps or strides up the hill or mountain with a view to playing our best basketball in February on our way to a magic carpet in March. Isn't that how it's supposed to work?

Yes the natural progression of a teams steady improvement I expect as well. However this iso ball appears to be the offense of choice and it contributes to poor shot selection all around. I’m not enjoying it and fear it will only continue as the season progresses. The players get discouraged, it was a big reason for Owens departure. Although Owens thought he was better than he is, we are missing his presence on the inside. In previous years it was understandable why Ponds wouldn’t pass the ball, not this year.