Roberts/Williams

• 40 replies
Re: Roberts/Williams
« Reply #20 on: November 21, 2018, 10:22:13 PM »
I am not talking 13 guys. I’m talking developing a young big, a position where  we currently have a huge hole over next 7 games.  Not unreasonable to ask a coach to do this. It only happens in many programs.

8th man is out for a few weeks you're asking for guys 9 and 10
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #21 on: November 21, 2018, 10:23:33 PM »
The staff brought this on themselves. One big on roster ready to contribute and it took only 3 games for an injury. Roberts could be a good player in 2-4 years we don’t know- I’m hoping he is. However with better recruiting, staff wouldn’t be asked to work miracles. Unfortunately the position they put themselves in could derail what is off to a great start.

What was the solution? Pull a big man out of thin air? Might have with Steere

« Reply #22 on: November 21, 2018, 10:34:45 PM »
If these guys were ready to play they'd be playing right now. That's the sad truth.

goredmen

« Reply #23 on: November 21, 2018, 10:36:08 PM »
The staff brought this on themselves. One big on roster ready to contribute and it took only 3 games for an injury. Roberts could be a good player in 2-4 years we don’t know- I’m hoping he is. However with better recruiting, staff wouldn’t be asked to work miracles. Unfortunately the position they put themselves in could derail what is off to a great start.

The criticism of the staff on not landing another ready and capable big to help this season is fair. However, the fact that they didn't shouldn't lead to questioning the pace of Roberts' development. We were in a similar spot last year and Yakwe wasn't seeing the court. The staff has proven they won't play a guy they aren't confident in even though he's bigger than the other options

« Reply #24 on: November 22, 2018, 02:54:15 AM »
The criticism of the staff on not landing another ready and capable big to help this season is fair. However, the fact that they didn't shouldn't lead to questioning the pace of Roberts' development. We were in a similar spot last year and Yakwe wasn't seeing the court. The staff has proven they won't play a guy they aren't confident in even though he's bigger than the other options

This is basically it. They needed Yakwe to play minutes late last year and they wouldn't play him, he was stapled to the bench. I hope they start to see something from Roberts or Williams soon though, I know it was three games in five days but they were gassed yesterday. Not even accounting for foul trouble.

« Reply #25 on: November 22, 2018, 06:45:35 AM »
8th man is out for a few weeks you're asking for guys 9 and 10

8th man....as in Trimble ??? He's confirmed to be hurt too ?

Marillac

« Reply #26 on: November 22, 2018, 10:17:18 AM »
8th man....as in Trimble ??? He's confirmed to be hurt too ?

He's talking about Keita.

« Reply #27 on: November 22, 2018, 10:24:08 AM »

The solution is start developing bigs- which hasn’t happened in 4 years under this staff.  Our schedule over next 4 weeks is abysmal, Roberts needs to develop with some game experience. What’s even worse is staff brought in earlington, who has 0 chance of competing at this level.

Marillac

« Reply #28 on: November 22, 2018, 10:28:10 AM »

Dude, we're 5-0! We've got a 6'7 230 lb big man that plays 30 minutes and has experience playing center in the Final Four! We also have a 6'9 240 lb center that has experience in the Final Four! Let's not get carried away.

Figueroa is 6'6 and can defend the four and Heron is a manchild that thrives in contact and pushes everyone off the block and Simon is 6'5 215 with a 7'1 reach who is best  suited to play the four.

I'd argue that we have the best rebounding and interior defense we've had since 2011. We dont have the block or die mentality, we are drawing charges, we are playing better position and using quicker players to step up and close off driving lanes, and we are not getting pushed around for the first time in years.

And we have two freshman who can provide depth down the road. 3* Freshman bigs are useless the first 10-12 games. You have to have patient with these big boys...it is incredibly difficult not to pickup skills when your body is that big.

« Reply #29 on: November 22, 2018, 10:28:10 AM »
The solution is start developing bigs- which hasn’t happened in 4 years under this staff.  Our schedule over next 4 weeks is abysmal, Roberts needs to develop with some game experience. What’s even worse is staff brought in earlington, who has 0 chance of competing at this level.

Who's an example of a big we had a realistic shot at that developed rapidly somewhere else?

goredmen

« Reply #30 on: November 22, 2018, 11:35:49 AM »
Who's an example of a big we had a realistic shot at that developed rapidly somewhere else?

There has been a need for a big since Sima left and it was clear Yakwe wasn't the guy. Keita was brought in to help but he shouldn't be the only option. Him + Owens would have a solid combo this year and the staff couldn't find a ready replacement for Owens.

Lets not forget how the staff completely botched the Hasahn French situation by prioritizing Zach Brown over him. French would be a very nice piece to have on this team and the staff 100% blew that one.

I also remember Kyvon Davenport's name coming up a couple years ago and he is absolutely killing it at Memphis right now.

TONYD3

« Reply #31 on: November 22, 2018, 12:01:16 PM »
That crappy VCU team that almost beat us played 11 guys.

« Reply #32 on: November 22, 2018, 12:37:04 PM »
I feel like the starters should all play 30-34 min give Roberts Williams and Trimble 5-8 min a game and Dixon the rest. Never have two of Roberts Williams and Trimble on the floor at the same time. I think one of these guys will rise to the occasion

Poison

« Reply #33 on: November 22, 2018, 02:04:32 PM »

That doesn’t fly an excuse. Year after year we don’t have a legit big man, but Bowling Green has 3 of them.

Poison

« Reply #34 on: November 22, 2018, 02:06:25 PM »

Crappy VCU team? What are you talking about? That VCU team is going to the tournament.

Marillac

« Reply #35 on: November 22, 2018, 02:23:13 PM »
And that crappy coach Boeheim makes finals fours playing 7. What's your point?

Marillac

« Reply #36 on: November 22, 2018, 02:25:27 PM »

I feel like Sima was mishandled. The staff should have given him a bigger role in a losing season. His loss hirt and continues to hurt. I think it was a lesson learned, though.

Poison

« Reply #37 on: November 25, 2018, 06:03:15 PM »
I feel like Sima was mishandled. The staff should have given him a bigger role in a losing season. His loss hirt and continues to hurt. I think it was a lesson learned, though.

In what way was a lesson learned?

Marillac

« Reply #38 on: November 25, 2018, 09:08:38 PM »
In what way was a lesson learned?

Now they know kids leave midseason of they are unhappy. That used to be extremely rare. I believe Mullin would handle Sima different if he could do it over knowing what he knows now.

« Reply #39 on: November 25, 2018, 09:37:26 PM »
Dave you don't think French would help this team?  I realize that staff took a shot with Brown given his talent, but many were clamoring for French who we seemed to have a very good shot at.  And despite his offensive woes he seems to be exactly what a guard and wing oriented squad like ours needs.