If you need to win 1 game ..

• 47 replies
Re: If you need to win 1 game ..
« Reply #20 on: November 22, 2018, 10:27:14 AM »
I know you just didn't compare Marcus Hatten's stats in a full slate of games in the old Big East to Ponds stats in 5 games against what I have been assured is the worst schedule in college basketball history, so you must be making a different point.

Do you need me to bring up the stats you used last time around?

I was simply asking him what stats he was using. Would it be fair to use career when Hatten came in as a junior and ponds competed as a freshmen? Would it be fair to just use Ponds sophomore year?
« Last Edit: November 22, 2018, 10:33:01 AM by Amaseinyourface2 »
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

« Reply #21 on: November 22, 2018, 10:31:32 AM »
Hardy was a poor athlete that was bad on defense and a complete non factor on the glass.

Harrison was a poor athlete but he was built strongly and played acceptable defense with excellent rebounding. Skilled kid.

Hatten was an excellent defender and rebounder and the best athlete out of the four by quite a bit. He was the least skilled however and not a player that would make others around him better IMO.

Ponds has the best hands and instincts I've seen in the college game...ever. He rebounds as well if not better than those guys. He plays better defense than Hardy and Harrison, he is BY FAR the best PG of the group. He is the most skilled across the board, and he is by far the best scorer. He has the ability to make everyone around him better.

I think Ponds would have led Hatten's team to a sweet 16 and then the round of 32. Those teams were setup to support an alpha scorer.

Love watching them all.

Hatten beating Duke at the Garden was what sealed my fate at St. John's.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

Foad

« Reply #22 on: November 22, 2018, 11:03:22 AM »
Do you need me to bring up the stats you used last time around?

Evidently I make a bigger impression on you than I do on myself, because I have no idea what stats you're referring to or what last time around comprises.

Anyway, here's a question. If you need to win one game and that one game is against a top five team and the top five team has the ball with ten seconds left and you need one player to steal the ball and get fouled and make two free throws with no time left on the clock in front of a sold out MSG on national television because he's a defensive game changer and has big giant steel balls, which one player would you pick.

Here's another. Let's say you needed to pick one player to lead a motley collection of stoners, walk-ons, felons-in-waiting and miscellaneous misfit toys to an NCAA tournament appearance and an NIT championship, which one player would you pick?

« Reply #23 on: November 22, 2018, 11:25:36 AM »
Evidently I make a bigger impression on you than I do on myself, because I have no idea what stats you're referring to or what last time around comprises.

Anyway, here's a question. If you need to win one game and that one game is against a top five team and the top five team has the ball with ten seconds left and you need one player to steal the ball and get fouled and make two free throws with no time left on the clock in front of a sold out MSG on national television because he's a defensive game changer and has big giant steel balls, which one player would you pick.

Here's another. Let's say you needed to pick one player to lead a motley collection of stoners, walk-ons, felons-in-waiting and miscellaneous misfit toys to an NCAA tournament appearance and an NIT championship, which one player would you pick?

Or as a sophomore playing against a top 4 team in the country and you hit the game sealing contested 3 pointer. Can go a million ways. I’m still confident Ponds is now and will only continue to get better than hatten. Which is amazing considering how great he was.

Foad

« Reply #24 on: November 22, 2018, 02:28:18 PM »
I’m still confident Ponds is now and will only continue to get better than hatten. Which is amazing considering how great he was.

Ponds is a much better jump shooter than Hatten was and a slightly better FT shooter. They comparable as volume scorers, rebounders and passers. They both have the same killer instinct. However, Hatten was immeasurably a better defender than Ponds is. And he was a winner, something I hope Ponds demonstrates he is at some point.

Marillac

« Reply #25 on: November 22, 2018, 03:02:10 PM »

Hatten for the narrow situation you described and Ponds with reservations to the Sweet 16 in the second.

I'd like to add that our chances at the NCAA tournament were done prior to the Duke game. I know because I regretably chose to see my gf in Ithaca instead of staying in the city and using my season tickets. I was disgusted with the season at that point.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2018, 04:41:12 PM by Marillac »

TONYD3

« Reply #26 on: November 22, 2018, 03:51:26 PM »
Hatten for the narrow situation you described and Ponds with reservations to the Sweet 16 in the second.

I'd like to add that our handed dke the NCAA were done prior to the Duke game. I know because I regretably chose to see my gf in Ithaca instead of staying in the city and using my season tickets. I was disgusted with the season at that point.
Didn’t go to that game either. Almost didn’t go last year.

Foad

« Reply #27 on: November 22, 2018, 06:08:59 PM »

Honestly surprised that someone who prides himself on his knowledge of the minutia of the game completely ignores Ponds ridiculously poor defense. He doesn't even try playing half the game. He's a ridiculous offense player in the best sense of the word and a ridiculous defender in the worst sense of the word and the most ridiculous part is that with a modicum of effort he could be a pretty half-assed defender. He just doesn't care to be.

Marillac

« Reply #28 on: November 22, 2018, 06:40:18 PM »
Honestly surprised that someone who prides himself on his knowledge of the minutia of the game completely ignores Ponds ridiculously poor defense. He doesn't even try playing half the game. He's a ridiculous offense player in the best sense of the word and a ridiculous defender in the worst sense of the word and the most ridiculous part is that with a modicum of effort he could be a pretty half-assed defender. He just doesn't care to be.

Hatten played for a coach who demanded great defense and rebounding above all else. The team defense/help was always there.  Ponds doesn't play in system predicated on that, so we have to factor it in. Also, I think Hatten's defense is remembered better than it actually was. He was prone to skate. Also, Jarvis often put Willie Shaw and Fordham on the opposing team's best scoring guard. Obviously Hatten had the a ability to turn it on at any time--something it is becoming clearer that Ponds might not be able to do.

The second Hatten team was not good. Before they beat Duke they were 12-12 and 4-8 on conference with three games left in the season.

Foad

« Reply #29 on: November 22, 2018, 06:49:58 PM »
The second Hatten team was not good. Before they beat Duke they were 12-12 and 4-8 on conference with three games left in the season.

Yes, they were not good and then Hatten carried them to post season championship. On a team with two scholarship players - Anthony Glover who was a wonderful and underrated player and Tim Doyle - who were worth anything, and I say scholarship because of Andre Stanley. I love Ponds and as I said am honored to watch him play and if and when he wins something I'll love him even more. But until then, Hatten > Ponds.

Marillac

« Reply #30 on: November 22, 2018, 07:15:25 PM »
Yes, they were not good and then Hatten carried them to post season championship. On a team with two scholarship players - Anthony Glover who was a wonderful and underrated player and Tim Doyle - who were worth anything, and I say scholarship because of Andre Stanley. I love Ponds and as I said am honored to watch him play and if and when he wins something I'll love him even more. But until then, Hatten > Ponds.

Anthony Glover was a 5* recruit rated higher than anyone we have now, and I think he lived up to that billing in college all things considered. He redshirted on an Elite 8 team and started on a Big East championship team as a freshman.

Elijah Ingram was a McDonald's All-American who averaged double digits on a tournament team. Cuffe, Shaw, and Diakate were all top 75 recruits. While it's safe to say Diakate didn't live up to his #52 ranking, I think Shaw and Cuffe did.

Johnny23

« Reply #31 on: November 22, 2018, 07:53:03 PM »
Anthony Glover was a 5* recruit rated higher than anyone we have now, and I think he lived up to that billing in college all things considered. He redshirted on an Elite 8 team and started on a Big East championship team as a freshman.

Elijah Ingram was a McDonald's All-American who averaged double digits on a tournament team. Cuffe, Shaw, and Diakate were all top 75 recruits. While it's safe to say Diakate didn't live up to his #52 ranking, I think Shaw and Cuffe did.

Glover was a very good player for us but as far as living up to the 5 star billing, nah I don't think so. But I'm not going to hate because I loved his hustle and what he brought to the team. However he was limited offensively and athletically.

« Reply #32 on: November 22, 2018, 08:25:27 PM »

Got blown by enough in that game but how bout the steal and subsequent dive for the loose ball late that allowed us to win the vcu game? 7 steals is enough for me to think he doesn’t completely ignore that half of the game.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2018, 08:26:27 PM by Amaseinyourface2 »

« Reply #33 on: November 22, 2018, 08:49:14 PM »
To win 1 game

Hatten
Ponds
Hardy

Who do I want taking the last shot to win a game Boo Harvey by far

« Reply #34 on: November 22, 2018, 09:42:19 PM »
To win 1 game

Hatten
Ponds
Hardy

Who do I want taking the last shot to win a game Boo Harvey by far

What’s the story with Harvey again? He had two actual game winners in the same year?

« Reply #35 on: November 22, 2018, 09:55:15 PM »
What’s the story with Harvey again? He had two actual game winners in the same year?
Nah more than that. Several to my recollection my guess 3 or 4. I think Depaul because I used to do play by play for WSJU and I called that game and definitely Georgetown ( when they were a lot of our most hated rival with Alonzo etc ) because we went down there for that game and we were behind most of the game and had foul trouble and actually had 6 ft 5 or whatever almost never used Barry Milhaven playing center for a little bit and all the sudden next thing you know Boo hits a last second shot and we were going nuts. He definitely hit at least another one but that was so long ago my mind is burnt but also that year Jayson Williams went down with injury and Boo went off maybe averaging 25 a game or close to that I forget when we really needed him to step up. We got knocked out by Duke in the NCAA that year ( dont even get me started on that. lol )
« Last Edit: November 22, 2018, 09:57:15 PM by mjmaherjr »

« Reply #36 on: November 22, 2018, 10:04:31 PM »
Ponds has the best hands and instincts I've seen in the college game...ever. He rebounds as well if not better than those guys. He plays better defense than Hardy and Harrison, he is BY FAR the best PG of the group. He is the most skilled across the board, and he is by far the best scorer. He has the ability to make everyone around him better.

I think Ponds would have led Hatten's team to a sweet 16 and then the round of 32. Those teams were setup to support an alpha scorer.

Are you sure about that?

"I am known as the president of the Ponds fan club, but I don't like the way he looks this season."

"He needs to show A LOT more."

"I'd like to announce my new favorite player is Heron and Figureroa is coming up quickly behind"
« Last Edit: November 22, 2018, 10:07:15 PM by carmineabbatiello »

« Reply #37 on: November 22, 2018, 10:07:50 PM »
Nah more than that. Several to my recollection my guess 3 or 4. I think Depaul because I used to do play by play for WSJU and I called that game and definitely Georgetown ( when they were a lot of our most hated rival with Alonzo etc ) because we went down there for that game and we were behind most of the game and had foul trouble and actually had 6 ft 5 or whatever almost never used Barry Milhaven playing center for a little bit and all the sudden next thing you know Boo hits a last second shot and we were going nuts. He definitely hit at least another one but that was so long ago my mind is burnt but also that year Jayson Williams went down with injury and Boo went off maybe averaging 25 a game or close to that I forget when we really needed him to step up. We got knocked out by Duke in the NCAA that year ( dont even get me started on that. lol )

Awesome! Sure you were one hell of a play by play guy

« Reply #38 on: November 22, 2018, 10:25:36 PM »
Awesome! Sure you were one hell of a play by play guy
Thanks. I was ok not great. Had no aspirations for a career in that field thought it would be fun and get good spot to watch games. We actually had I think 2 or 3 broadcast teams so I didnt do every game. Every other game or every third game. But I used to come up with a bunch of funny ( in my mind quotes ) in honor of today when one of our guys had a big block I would say the guy got stuffed like a thanksgiving turkey etc etc. The Depaul last second shot I was going so nuts I just started borrowing other famous calls all at one time " do you believe in miracles the shot heard round the world " etc etc. lol

Back then we used to pack Alumni Hall every night and played more games at MSG but at MSG they didnt put us on the court. We actually had to call the game up high but it was still fun. My favorite part of the MSG stuff was we got into the press room before etc and back then ( I was in school 88-92 ) that was when Mike and the Mad Dog were basically starting out and I met them a bunch of times back then. Mad Dog was super good guy and Mike was nice guy then too.

We actually played Wfan in a charity basketball game at Alumni Hall. I airballed my first 3 pointer ( totally embarrassing ) but then had real good game but we lost by a couple. Jodi Mac was a dick for their team and dirty player.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2018, 10:27:05 PM by mjmaherjr »

« Reply #39 on: November 22, 2018, 10:57:05 PM »
The Depaul last second shot I was going so nuts I just started borrowing other famous calls all at one time " do you believe in miracles the shot heard round the world " etc etc. lol

Hahah I couldn’t help but think of this scene from Black Sheep.
You can skip to 1:50 if for some reason you don’t want to laugh for 2 1/2 minutes.

https://youtu.be/KKN6JJYIWWY