Game 6: Maryland Eastern Shore Game Discussion

• 84 replies
Re: Game 6: Maryland Eastern Shore Game Discussion
« Reply #40 on: November 28, 2018, 11:46:51 AM »
Basically Williams and Roberts need these 5-10 minute cupcake games coming up after GTech on Saturday.

Williams has a really nice baseline drive that should have been an and 1. He didn't look out of place and once Keita comes back I feel he can definitely be the 8th man on this team

« Reply #41 on: November 28, 2018, 12:10:43 PM »
You really can't take much out of these games but I will try.
-Five guys hanging out behind the three point line will not work against better comp.
-Does Clark have one of those collars from the Running Man movie where if he goes past the three point line his head will explode?
-For Simon to get involved he has to drive the ball more. Since the other guys are camped around 3 point line at least this will give a different look and get him more involved.
-Prediction. Earlington is going to break a backboard and or possibly put someone's eye out with his jump shot.

Goddammit I laughed so hard at your prediction. Clark has been frustrating. If youre not hitting shots than make yourself as valuable as you can otherwise. Appreciate him facing bigger guys but get after it more in other areas. And wow, does he look bad arguing those foul calls, the majority of them are obvious.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

Marillac

« Reply #42 on: November 28, 2018, 12:22:40 PM »

-For Simon to get involved he has to drive the ball more. Since the other guys are camped around 3 point line at least this will give a different look and get him more involved.

After your quality Norm bash posts you are back to posting pure nonsense.

Simon should only drive when he's got a 4 or a 5 on him or if he's got a step (preferably two) and is going downhill. He's simply not a half court offensive threat on the perimeter.

He should be cutting and screening nonstop. I like when he cuts,
stops, and then posts deep. Very tough to handle FT line and in.

The reason why he's not involved as much is because Figueroa and Heron are FAR superior options and Dixon is a better option as welL. His value is in the paint, and you will be the last poster to realize this.

Marillac

« Reply #43 on: November 28, 2018, 12:28:58 PM »
Goddammit I laughed so hard at your prediction. Clark has been frustrating. If youre not hitting shots than make yourself as valuable as you can otherwise. Appreciate him facing bigger guys but get after it more in other areas. And wow, does he look bad arguing those foul calls, the majority of them are obvious.

The lack of offensive rebounding out of him is upsetting.

He has some easy fixes for his other problems though. He is clearly not able to defend guards aggressively on switches. He needs to stop that immediately and just stay in front of his man without using his hands. It's so obvious he's overmatched.

He also needs to stop the dribble drives. We have better options this year. He had 8 turnovers the two game prior to last night. For a center! Almost all of them were him getting his dribble stripped. 1-2 dribble max dor him and Simon. Preferably one.

But the spacing gives the offense should not be undervalued.

Poison

« Reply #44 on: November 28, 2018, 12:35:33 PM »

Simon should only drive when he's got a 4 or a 5 on him or if he's got a step (preferably two) and is going downhill. He's simply not a half court offensive threat on the perimeter.

The reason why he's not involved as much is because Figueroa and Heron are FAR superior options and Dixon is a better option as welL. His value is in the paint, and you will be the last poster to realize this.

Simon should work on a post up move where he can use that baby hook. Heron can teach him how.

« Reply #45 on: November 28, 2018, 12:42:39 PM »

With the other four guys stationed behind the three point line so that their collar doesn't go off and blow up their heads there is room for Simon to cut to the baskets either with the ball or w/o.

Marillac

« Reply #46 on: November 28, 2018, 12:42:59 PM »
Simon should work on a post up move where he can use that baby hook. Heron can teach him how.

I can't disagree. I will say he's already got some nice post moves. He's got a nice up and under and a one-dribble blow by that is impossible for big men to defend consistently. He also seals smaller defenders well. I also like his cut, catch in the lane, and baby hook/one-hand floater.

The kid should be 2-3 alley oops a game. 8-10 post ups...passing out if half.

Marillac

« Reply #47 on: November 28, 2018, 12:51:40 PM »
With the other four guys stationed behind the three point line so that their collar doesn't go off and blow up their heads there is room for Simon to cut to the baskets either with the ball or w/o.

Cut to the basket with the ball? lol That's called dribbling--one of the two things he can't do at all.

You are Christopher Walken, Simon is Will Ferrell, and Simon's dribbling is the cowbell.

"I got a fever and the only prescription is more cowbell!"

https://youtu.be/R8fpVNhiqKQ

« Reply #48 on: November 28, 2018, 01:07:29 PM »
Cut to the basket with the ball? lol That's called dribbling--one of the two things he can't do at all.

You are Christopher Walken, Simon is Will Ferrell, and Simon's dribbling is the cowbell.

"I got a fever and the only prescription is more cowbell!"

https://youtu.be/R8fpVNhiqKQ

Simon is the 2nd best ball handler on the team.
You know some people have been suggesting on other board that Figs and Heron are actually better than Ponds.
Quick make up some stuff that they don't do well

Marillac

« Reply #49 on: November 28, 2018, 02:42:22 PM »

This comment is just bizarre.

I have nothing negative to say about Heron and Figueroa. They both possess the skills necessary to play the two and the three, respectively. You assume I talk down players to protect Ponds because your analysis of Simon is so impossibly off base that you can't bring yourself to accept that my criticism of him is legitimate. Heron is damn near amazing and Figueroa really good.

Justin Simon and Dom Pointer have the two worst handles I've seen from starting perimeter players in the Big East in my 30 years watching college basketball.

TONYD3

« Reply #50 on: November 28, 2018, 02:47:16 PM »

I have nothing negative to say about Heron and Figueroa. They both possess the skills necessary to play the two and the three, respectively. You assume I talk down players to protect Ponds because your analysis of Simon is so impossibly off base that you can't bring yourself to accept that my criticism of him is legitimate. Heron is damn near amazing and Figueroa really good.

Justin Simon and Dom Pointer have the two worst handles I've seen from starting perimeter players in the Big East in my 30 years watching college basketball.
Agree. Best thing that happened to ponds was Sampson leaving. Worst thing that happens to Simon is LJ and Herron coming here.
Simon hasn’t gotten worse. But I think he has a tough year.

Marillac

« Reply #51 on: November 28, 2018, 02:48:35 PM »
You know some people have been suggesting on other board that Figs and Heron are actually better than Ponds.

What specifically do you think Simon can do?

Can he use both hands? Counter defenders? Change his pace? Euro step? Jump stop? Hesitation dribble? Spin and finish? Go behind his back to avoid a steal attempt? Step back?

He doesn't even have the coordination to shoot a free throw right, man.

« Reply #52 on: November 28, 2018, 03:05:06 PM »
What specifically do you think Simon can do?

Can he use both hands? Counter defenders? Change his pace? Euro step? Jump stop? Hesitation dribble? Spin and finish? Go behind his back to avoid a steal attempt? Step back?

He doesn't even have the coordination to shoot a free throw right, man.

He is our 2nd best ball handler, 2nd best passer and best athlete.
Can't shoot but picks his spots.

« Reply #53 on: November 28, 2018, 03:16:39 PM »
He needs to fix that broken jump shot, the only way he makes the league is a 3/D guy. He can do that in the G league though, this year he should be in the post, working the baseline and going for offensive rebounds and put backs a la figuerora. 

Foad

« Reply #54 on: November 28, 2018, 04:11:50 PM »
Can't shoot

50 percent from the floor and 40 percent from three at SJU. How well would he have to shoot to be someone who can shoot?

Johnny23

« Reply #55 on: November 28, 2018, 04:19:16 PM »

Now this I agree with 100%. I was just about to write the same thing. The fact that Lavin allowed Pointer to bring the ball up court and Mullin the same with Simon is unforgivable. Both were good for at least 3 turnovers a game on average bringing the ball up court and that's being conservative.

« Reply #56 on: November 28, 2018, 04:59:14 PM »

Simon is not the second best ball handler on this team come on man.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

« Reply #57 on: November 28, 2018, 05:52:35 PM »
Simon’s little baby-flick-floater shot is a thing of beauty.

Marillac

« Reply #58 on: November 28, 2018, 07:12:26 PM »
He needs to fix that broken jump shot, the only way he makes the league is a 3/D guy. He can do that in the G league though, this year he should be in the post, working the baseline and going for offensive rebounds and put backs a la figuerora. 

3 and D was the hope for him a few years ago. He's a fourth-year junior who straight-arms free throws.  His only hope is packing on 20 lbs of muscle and taking on a PJ Tucker role by refining his post moves and focusing on rebounding, hustle, and defense.

Here is a blurb from Tucker's draft analysis:  "At 6-5, he is shorter than most NBA shooting guards, but is more bit stuck between the 3 and the 4 spots when talking about his true position skill-wise." Source: http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/PJ-Tucker-578/ ©DraftExpress

He needs to take a realistic look at his game and an inventory of his strengths and weaknesses. He's got a 7'1 wingspan and 215 lbs he can't use on the perimenter. He has a strong base and a quick first step in the post.

He can't dribble or shoot to save his life regardless of what the stats on his wide open shotputs show at this point.

Marillac

« Reply #59 on: November 28, 2018, 07:13:50 PM »
Now this I agree with 100%. I was just about to write the same thing. The fact that Lavin allowed Pointer to bring the ball up court and Mullin the same with Simon is unforgivable. Both were good for at least 3 turnovers a game on average bringing the ball up court and that's being conservative.

WASJU is the only person on the planet that can look at it and demand more cowbell!