Game 6: Maryland Eastern Shore Game Discussion

• 84 replies

jr49

Re: Game 6: Maryland Eastern Shore Game Discussion
« Reply #60 on: November 28, 2018, 07:32:14 PM »
Ponds shoved Dixon at the 6:00 mark of the second half to get to the proper man on defense.

Mehhhh type of game.
Ponds let his mates put up 80pts that didn't come from him. I think thats just wonderful.

« Reply #61 on: November 28, 2018, 07:38:33 PM »
Two things can be true here—
A:Simon generally shouldn’t be bringing the ball up.
B:Simon is talented, can shoot ok when he isn’t pressing and creates openings because he is hard to defend.

Simon going end to end is impressive when done right, he’s fast, long and explosive. Just gotta pick his spots better and LJ seems to be forcing him to do that.

Marillac

« Reply #62 on: November 28, 2018, 07:52:35 PM »
Two things can be true here—
A:Simon generally shouldn’t be bringing the ball up.
B:Simon is talented, can shoot ok when he isn’t pressing and creates openings because he is hard to defend.

Simon going end to end is impressive when done right, he’s fast, long and explosive. Just gotta pick his spots better and LJ seems to be forcing him to do that.

I'm assuming B is a joke right? Or do you want more cowbell like WASJU?

« Reply #63 on: November 28, 2018, 08:12:30 PM »
I'm assuming B is a joke right? Or do you want more cowbell like WASJU?

Sorry, which part of B is incorrect?

Marillac

« Reply #64 on: November 28, 2018, 08:17:01 PM »
Sorry, which part of B is incorrect?

Everything after Simon is talented.

« Reply #65 on: November 28, 2018, 11:31:00 PM »
Everything after Simon is talented.

You have a unique way of disagreeing with yourself. It’s too bad you evidently don’t believe in nuance, or you might be right and agreeable more often.

Simon is currently shooting over 50%, shot 47% last year, both well within the scientific range of “ok.” You have effectively called him unguardable when he’s in the post which apparently doesn’t qualify as “hard to defend.”

I’m sorry that you aren’t a big fan and are somehow blind to his speed length and explosiveness. These all seem undeniable to me. As I said, two things can be true—he can be more efficient and pick his spots better and still have a unique skill set for his size and athleticism.

Marillac

« Reply #66 on: November 29, 2018, 12:00:45 AM »
You have a unique way of disagreeing with yourself. It’s too bad you evidently don’t believe in nuance, or you might be right and agreeable more often.

Simon is currently shooting over 50%, shot 47% last year, both well within the scientific range of “ok.” You have effectively called him unguardable when he’s in the post which apparently doesn’t qualify as “hard to defend.”

I’m sorry that you aren’t a big fan and are somehow blind to his speed length and explosiveness. These all seem undeniable to me. As I said, two things can be true—he can be more efficient and pick his spots better and still have a unique skill set for his size and athleticism.
Adorable. Now tell me how Simon "creates openings because he's so hard to defend." That language clearly refers to the perimeter, where Simon can only be labeled as completely inept. Creating openings is the exact opposite of what he does. He actually destroys openings and kills spacing. Fran said he wouldn't even guard him at all!

His shot isnt ok, or even close to it. He is given 10-12 feet to shoot open set shots and he airballs nearly a third of them. No two shots ever look the same. Looking at shooting %s in a vacuum is silly. Who have you ever seen given that much space to shoot set threes besides him and Pointer? Ponds would shoot 75% with that space.

And as far as his length and athletic ability, I literally post about that more than anyone. He's a PF and the faster he and the staff realize that the better this team will be.

« Reply #67 on: November 29, 2018, 02:47:24 AM »
Williams has a really nice baseline drive that should have been an and 1. He didn't look out of place and once Keita comes back I feel he can definitely be the 8th man on this team

Williams is the closest freshman to being able to help for sure.

Foad

« Reply #68 on: November 29, 2018, 08:55:33 AM »
That language clearly refers to the perimeter, where Simon can only be labeled as completely inept. Creating openings is the exact opposite of what he does. He actually destroys openings and kills spacing. Fran said he wouldn't even guard him at all!

His shot isnt ok, or even close to it. He is given 10-12 feet to shoot open set shots and he airballs nearly a third of them. No two shots ever look the same. Looking at shooting %s in a vacuum is silly. 

You need a time out.

« Reply #69 on: November 29, 2018, 11:46:15 AM »
50 percent from the floor and 40 percent from three at SJU. How well would he have to shoot to be someone who can shoot?

Certainly not a good looking shot. I am generally surprised when it goes in. But again only shoots when feet are set and wide open. I like Simon. Marillac and Mase jr are in love with Ponds and are just upset that last year some posters claimed Simon was prettier than Ponds.

« Reply #70 on: November 29, 2018, 11:48:42 AM »
Simon is not the second best ball handler on this team come on man.

Can't even imagine who you think number 2 is?

Foad

« Reply #71 on: November 29, 2018, 12:54:05 PM »
Certainly not a good looking shot. I am generally surprised when it goes in. But again only shoots when feet are set and wide open.

No credit here for style points. When it stops going in he'll stop being a good shooter and he should be credited for taking good shots and making them. Ponds otoh is shooting 26 percent from three over the last two years and he's a good shooter because it looks pretty when he takes bad shots? I don't get that.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2018, 12:55:02 PM by Foad »

Foad

« Reply #72 on: November 29, 2018, 12:54:39 PM »

Dixon?

« Reply #73 on: November 29, 2018, 01:02:10 PM »
Dixon?

Yeah would be my third I guess.
Waiting for them to say Earlington
« Last Edit: November 29, 2018, 01:02:25 PM by we are sju »

« Reply #74 on: November 29, 2018, 01:22:16 PM »

Heron, LJ, Dixon
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

« Reply #75 on: November 29, 2018, 01:24:21 PM »
Certainly not a good looking shot. I am generally surprised when it goes in. But again only shoots when feet are set and wide open. I like Simon. Marillac and Mase jr are in love with Ponds and are just upset that last year some posters claimed Simon was prettier than Ponds.

Lol ok man. Idk how many times I’ll have to say I’m a huge Simon fan.

« Reply #76 on: November 29, 2018, 01:30:53 PM »
Lol ok man. Idk how many times I’ll have to say I’m a huge Simon fan.

I get the jump shot thing no matter what his % is. He is also not a great defender on the perimeter. Though his is more in line with Ahmed in that he is constantly turning his head and losses track of the shooter and not an effort thing. But he does have a good handle despite being a little careless and he is probably our best passer and one of our best rebounders. Don't let Marillac drag you into crazy town with him.

« Reply #77 on: November 29, 2018, 01:33:52 PM »
I get the jump shot thing no matter what his % is. He is also not a great defender on the perimeter. Though his is more in line with Ahmed in that he is constantly turning his head and losses track of the shooter and not an effort thing. But he does have a good handle despite being a little careless and he is probably our best passer and one of our best rebounders. Don't let Marillac drag you into crazy town with him.

You think he’s a better passer than Ponds? He is not a bad ball handler, but his handle is not tighter than Dixon or Herons and honestly I trust LJ more.

« Reply #78 on: November 29, 2018, 01:46:42 PM »
You think he’s a better passer than Ponds? He is not a bad ball handler, but his handle is not tighter than Dixon or Herons and honestly I trust LJ more.

If Dixon is in the game for Ponds and we play a team that is pressuring him, Simon is going to bring the ball up. Dixon is built like Chris Rock first team that pressures him he is going to have a heart attack. And yes despite not having the ball nearly as much as Ponds Simon led team in assists last year and is abetter passer than Ponds. Ponds is our best player. Does not mean he is the best at everything.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2018, 01:47:19 PM by we are sju »

« Reply #79 on: November 29, 2018, 02:02:18 PM »
If Dixon is in the game for Ponds and we play a team that is pressuring him, Simon is going to bring the ball up. Dixon is built like Chris Rock first team that pressures him he is going to have a heart attack. And yes despite not having the ball nearly as much as Ponds Simon led team in assists last year and is abetter passer than Ponds. Ponds is our best player. Does not mean he is the best at everything.

So if Ponds leads team in assists this year he will be the better passer? Assist totals don’t tell the whole story. Simon is going to pass more than Ponds because he’s not the scorer he is. And Simon is a very good passer but in terms of just passing ability ie different types of passes, difficult passes etc it’s ponds and in my mind it’s not very close.