Game 7: Georgia Tech (Hoophall Miami Invitational)

• 251 replies

QuanMan

Game 7: Georgia Tech (Hoophall Miami Invitational)
« on: November 28, 2018, 09:49:02 PM »
GT is really struggling to score early on @NW. Their leading scorer (Alston) only averages 13ppg. As a team they are just averaging 71ppg. They have three bigs with length yet they're not the most skillful. Nevertheless we'll be undersized.

Shamorie/Alvarado, plenty familiar with one another. Shamorie took it to him back in 2016:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FEkZiLU2AyE
Section 3
Section 116

Marillac

Re: Game 7: Georgia Tech (Hoophall Miami Invitational)
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2018, 09:57:50 PM »
They don't look good. Alston has been frustrating to watch.

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2018, 10:43:36 PM »
GT stinks. I don’t care if SJU wins by 1 or 50, this would be a horrible loss if we lose to this team.

Marillac

« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2018, 11:09:16 PM »
I just can't get over what a scheduling nightmare this is for Ga Tech. Our game starts 60 hours after their game ends and they have to drive an hour to Chicago and then fly either to Atlanta for the night and then to Miami, or go directly to Miami and stay in hotels for 5 straight days.

Do these kids take classes?

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2018, 02:48:41 AM »
Sucks that GT lost tonight but I'm glad they came back into the game and showed us not to take the foot off the pedal on Saturday.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2018, 02:49:05 AM by HowCouldUBeSoHarkless »

« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2018, 01:25:18 PM »
Thanks QuanMan, that was a fun watch.

QuanMan

« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2018, 02:49:05 PM »
Thanks QuanMan, that was a fun watch.

Anytime, that clip is a quick reminder that Shamorie has had his one handed floaters and one footed fadeaways in his bag for years. The kid is special, a all time Johnnies great.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2018, 02:50:26 PM by QuanMan »
Section 3
Section 116

« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2018, 09:42:03 PM »
I was at that game, man was that a fun night. Great game and great crowd. That was my first live look at Shamorie and he hasn't disappointed since, thanks for the look back!

« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2018, 09:48:51 PM »
Found the post! Ok maybe Shamorie would beat Mussini in an arm wrestling match but other than that not bad...

2016 Class / Re: Shamorie Ponds, G, Jefferson HS, NYC - ST JOHN'S
« on: February 07, 2016, 12:58:29 PM »
I was able to go last night and glad I did, it was a great game nip and tuck the whole way and the gym was jam-packed. Jefferson beat CTK by 3 (68-65 I think) and I had Shamorie with 31 points, 3 rebounds, 1 assist and 2 steals.

Jefferson was up 1 with 3 seconds to go with CTK inbounding at midcourt, Shamorie was guarding the inbounds (I think it was Alvarado) and made the play of the game when he tipped it to himself and stole it. Got fouled and sank both free throws with a second left to basically seal it.

I thought he looked very good, it didn't feel like an explosive 31 points, spread out and all basically within the flow of the game. He's a crafty scorer, his outside shot wasn't falling and he missed his first 3 free throws (but made his last 6 all clutch ones in the 4th quarter) so he did most of his damage on floaters and inside. He seems to have a good feel for the game too, sees the floor well and a good handle. He only had 1 assist but that easily could have been 5 or 6 if his teammates converted easy layups/dunks (sound familiar?).

He is probably around 6'2" and VERY skinny. Mussini might beat him in an arm wrestling match. I know people are trying to make comparisons here and last night I was thinking to myself I saw a little Jamal Crawford in him. I think we'll be very pleased with him for the next few years.

QuanMan

« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2018, 12:48:05 AM »
As the season marches on hopefully the masses stop critiquing Sham's faults and start appreciating what we have. His time as a Johnnie is fleeting, and at the end of the day he will reign above Hatten, Harrison, Hardy, on and on. The Brooklyn kid deserves his number in the rafters, he will be honored in the 2020's, and we will all remember what once was.
Section 3
Section 116

« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2018, 09:14:51 AM »
and at the end of the day he will reign above Hatten, Harrison, Hardy, on and on. The Brooklyn kid deserves his number in the rafters,

The Kid's great and all, but the others all made the tournament at least once.  If this team doesn't make the tournament and he leaves for greener pastures - then the reigning and rafters stuff is overblown, regardless of the numbers he puts up.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2018, 09:15:36 AM by carmineabbatiello »

QuanMan

« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2018, 10:34:13 AM »
The Kid's great and all, but the others all made the tournament at least once.  If this team doesn't make the tournament and he leaves for greener pastures - then the reigning and rafters stuff is overblown, regardless of the numbers he puts up.

I don't disagree w that, everyone in the program and fanbase know this is win time, get through tomorrow and we'll have our feet up until Newark.
Section 3
Section 116

SJUFAN

« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2018, 12:51:09 AM »
I don't disagree w that, everyone in the program and fanbase know this is win time, get through tomorrow and we'll have our feet up until Newark.

If we have any aspirations of making a deep tourney run we need to handle this GT team soundly, they are not a tournament team. Over a month of practice in the books. No excuses.

« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2018, 10:52:42 AM »
I do not like this 3 point spread. Feels to me like a trap game...Hopefully we can beat Alvarado-weren't we recruiting him pretty hard? Seems like hes doing a solid job there

« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2018, 11:26:47 AM »
Unless our shots are not finding the net, this should be a 15 point win.

goredmen

« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2018, 12:02:00 PM »
I do not like this 3 point spread. Feels to me like a trap game...Hopefully we can beat Alvarado-weren't we recruiting him pretty hard? Seems like hes doing a solid job there

Alvarado was a Slice/Matt disagreement

« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2018, 12:11:30 PM »
Looking good early on. Need to stay out of foul trouble
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

goredmen

« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2018, 12:27:51 PM »
Definitely more active and more ball movement on offense but still some bad shot selection too often

« Reply #19 on: December 01, 2018, 12:32:11 PM »
So far we look like a team that wants to be ranked.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.