Game 7: Georgia Tech (Hoophall Miami Invitational)

• 251 replies

DFF6

Re: Game 7: Georgia Tech (Hoophall Miami Invitational)
« Reply #120 on: December 01, 2018, 02:26:25 PM »
We have never had a player like Ponds. Just incredible.

Poison

« Reply #121 on: December 01, 2018, 02:27:28 PM »
Guy who won’t get credit but deserves some of it is Heron. He was terrible in the first half. Why he was throwing up shots one step inside the 3 point line is baffling.

But in the second half, especially after we lost Clark, he manned up big time and boxed out, rebounded and carried the defense inside.

SJUFAN

« Reply #122 on: December 01, 2018, 02:28:06 PM »
GT is offensively challenged. There will be times when our pro style offense will struggle because we don’t have a team constructed of pro players. That is when you need to rely on your defense. Our defensive effort for the most part has been horrible, which is why games are closer than they should be. This isn’t going to change much under Mullin. Roberts would give you more on the defensive end than Clark, based solely on effort. Ponds continues to amaze.

Poison

« Reply #123 on: December 01, 2018, 02:30:16 PM »
We have never had a player like Ponds. Just incredible.

You may be right, but just for reference, how old are you?

I would have said that Berry and Mullin have no equal, but it’s still a guard that we’d be comparing to a forward. Sealy and Artest are right after them in terms of all time greats, and Mark Jackson, although not the scorer Ponds is, was great as well.

cjfish

« Reply #124 on: December 01, 2018, 02:32:56 PM »
Agree, Earlington may be needed if Clarke can't learn to control himself.  Unfortunately, if he hasn't learned by now he probably never will.  Ponds is incredible.  Team showed they can play some great D and win a game where they were off, particularly from 3.  Dixon offensively disappeared but played good D. Can not rely on Ponds to carry them every game as it will get harder when the conference play begins.  Team should be able to go into the conference season undefeated.   

SJUFAN

« Reply #125 on: December 01, 2018, 02:34:23 PM »

I would have said that Berry and Mullin have no equal, but it’s still a guard that we’d be comparing to a forward. Sealy and Artest are right after them in terms of all time greats, and Mark Jackson, although not the scorer Ponds is, was great as well.

I don’t believe Eric Barkley gets enough credit. He was a hell of a point guard. Best two way point guard we’ve had imo.

cjfish

« Reply #126 on: December 01, 2018, 02:38:42 PM »
Guy who won’t get credit but deserves some of it is Heron. He was terrible in the first half. Why he was throwing up shots one step inside the 3 point line is baffling.

But in the second half, especially after we lost Clark, he manned up big time and boxed out, rebounded and carried the defense inside.

He was shooting long 2s because that was what there....the best way to throw off your rhythm  is to worry about the 3 line, stepping back or passing up a good long 2

DFF6

« Reply #127 on: December 01, 2018, 02:41:03 PM »

46. I saw all of the aforementioned players play at SJU, and you’re right, it’s hard to compare guards and forwards, especially from different generations. But Ponds ability to take over a game in the clutch is just amazing. We saw it last year in spurts, but he seems to do it this year at will.

wpc77

« Reply #128 on: December 01, 2018, 02:45:22 PM »
One other positive other than Ponds - only 5 turnovers.  Great job taking care of the ball to give us shot attempts on nearly each offensive trip.

« Reply #129 on: December 01, 2018, 02:53:44 PM »
Shamariano Rivera
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

cjfish

« Reply #130 on: December 01, 2018, 02:53:58 PM »

Lets not forget the oldtimers who are in the rafters, Seiden, Jackson and Dove.  I saw Jackson and Dove and they deserve mention.  Seiden before my time but some very old guys said he was great.  Ponds will be there with them all, his talents are unique.  We will have to wait re his pro potential, jury definitely still out.

« Reply #131 on: December 01, 2018, 02:54:54 PM »
Foad I know you said you’ve retired from recapping games but you havnt said anything about game threads. Pleeaaase dissect this one. 
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

cjfish

« Reply #132 on: December 01, 2018, 02:57:29 PM »
Creighton up 7 on Gonzaga at the half, possible upset in the making

« Reply #133 on: December 01, 2018, 03:05:26 PM »
Trimble scouring twitter and liking hate tweets.

« Reply #134 on: December 01, 2018, 03:21:39 PM »
I'm not on Twitter, but if so that's an immature thing to do after a gutty win.  If he isn't happy, don't complain - play better.  Everyone knows there is room for bench guys who can play half decent to contribute on this team.  It may not be on the offensive end, but play sound defense, rebound and make the occasional open shot because they will be there.

As for the game, much prefer obviously when we share the ball with spacing and movement.  That wasn't working or happening and various guys who usually contribute on offense weren't playing well.  So Shamorie took over, and thankfully we have him.  As Poison and others stated, what will go unnoticed is our defensive improvement the last 10 minutes of this game and guys like Heron checking their ego and doing what needs to be done to get a W.  I much prefer winning a preseason non-conference game like this, in which we were down by 16 and had to claw our way to a W, than one in which we lead by 6-8 the whole time against a decent high major.

Marillac

« Reply #135 on: December 01, 2018, 03:46:29 PM »
Just got back from the game. The environment was amazing. St. John's fans really showed up. I'd say it was 98-99% St. John's and we were loud. I didn't see a single Ga Tech fan. Impressive for a ten-team event.

It always seems like fans of other programs like us too. Got a few high fives and positive St. John's comments from Memphis and Texas Tech fans on the way out.

Team didn't have it today but just WORKED. I am so impressed and proud. The effort was impossible to ignore.

We got stymied by the zone and that is inexcusable, but the effort on he offensive glass was amazing. This team can close games out. Mullin badly outcoached Pastner

Please don't compare anyone to Ponds ever again.

« Reply #136 on: December 01, 2018, 03:49:49 PM »
Foad I know you said you’ve retired from recapping games but you havnt said anything about game threads. Pleeaaase dissect this one. 
LOL

Marillac

« Reply #137 on: December 01, 2018, 03:57:40 PM »
No idea why GT didn't foul earlier there and extend the game.

Horrible decision by Pastner. Then they didn't foul Simon next inbounds after he missed two FTs. Both of those decisions are inexcusable.

Marillac

« Reply #138 on: December 01, 2018, 04:02:12 PM »
Bingo. Mullin is getting thoroughly outcoached today. SJU is playing street yard ball. No movement. Everyone standing around the perimeter, no coaching whatsoever.

Josh Pastner owning Mullin right now. It's ugly.

Mullin ate Pastner alive today. Partner should be on the hotseat after this coaching performance.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2018, 04:02:34 PM by Marillac »

« Reply #139 on: December 01, 2018, 04:10:18 PM »
One other positive other than Ponds - only 5 turnovers.  Great job taking care of the ball to give us shot attempts on nearly each offensive trip.

Turnover margin has probably been our biggest strength at the beginning of this season.  +11 again today (the most impressive, IMO, was going +14 against the pressure defense of VCU).