Game 7: Georgia Tech (Hoophall Miami Invitational)

• 251 replies

Marillac

Re: Game 7: Georgia Tech (Hoophall Miami Invitational)
« Reply #180 on: December 02, 2018, 10:28:45 AM »
I just watched the replay on ESPN3. 

One thing that I haven't seen mentioned is Heron's defensive effort.  He's 100% all the time.  It doesn't matter if he's deep in a defensive stance switched on a PG or battling a center, that kid competes on the defensive end like no other.  It's game after game after game. He should get more love for that. 

What an addition.  When he's off on offense he makes up for it on the glass and he always brings in on D.

« Reply #181 on: December 02, 2018, 11:03:00 AM »
I just watched the replay on ESPN3. 

One thing that I haven't seen mentioned is Heron's defensive effort.  He's 100% all the time.  It doesn't matter if he's deep in a defensive stance switched on a PG or battling a center, that kid competes on the defensive end like no other.  It's game after game after game. He should get more love for that. 

What an addition.  When he's off on offense he makes up for it on the glass and he always brings in on D.

Doesn't show up in the box score but that was a tough assignment.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

cjfish

« Reply #182 on: December 02, 2018, 11:35:49 AM »
Consider yourself lucky: you're still new. Once the amazement wears off all that's left will be the stupid.

I totally agree.  I think the collective experience of forum members is minimal.  It helps to have played the game. not merely watched it.  I find that many fanatical fans are armchair observers who never wore out a basketball.

« Reply #183 on: December 02, 2018, 02:47:58 PM »
Too much negative sentiment about Chris Mullin. Playing with no big men is a coaching problem, which Chris and his staff mastered by an aggressive defense and defensive rebounding positioning. Remember Chris and Mitch were on Don Nelson's Warriors, who won many a game without big men, relying on Richmond, Hardaway, and Mullin.
In 3 years together that 3some finished below .500 In basketball height does matter which is why basketball players tend to be tall. A good big man will beat a good little man as the saying goes.

« Reply #184 on: December 02, 2018, 07:11:31 PM »
The Kid's great and all, but the others all made the tournament at least once.  If this team doesn't make the tournament and he leaves for greener pastures - then the reigning and rafters stuff is overblown, regardless of the numbers he puts up.

I stand corrected. He's an all-time Johnny great no matter what happens from here on out.  His confidence and sheer star power are once in a generation stuff.

« Reply #185 on: December 02, 2018, 09:44:56 PM »
Talk about a false narrative. Pastner owned Mullin in the first half and coached him out of the gym leading to a huge deficit. Mullin's very lucky to have Ponds or the Johnnies loses that game by double digits.
While it’s obvious that Ponds won the game for us, it’s ridiculous to say that Patner owned Mullin in the first half. Throwing the ball to the only big guy on the court has been a staple of. CYO for Years.

« Reply #186 on: December 02, 2018, 10:08:55 PM »
Mullin shouldn’t receive credit for Ponds Herculean efforts.

Why not?  He recruited him didn't he? He's developing him, isn't he?

« Reply #187 on: December 02, 2018, 10:28:53 PM »
Some of you must really love the taste of leather. 

Much of what's posted here in the midst of a thrilling comeback neutral site victory is humiliating to said posters.

It is so sad to have to root against your favorite team hoping to gain evidence to support your sorry narrative.

Marillac

« Reply #188 on: December 02, 2018, 10:56:51 PM »

Ponds is also the main reason we fell behind 16. I love the kid but he was awful for that stretch and couldn't buy a shot. I'm ok with that and living and dying with him, but let's not put his cold spells on Mullin and then give him all the props when he's hot. This is what streaky scorers do.

« Reply #189 on: December 02, 2018, 11:51:40 PM »
Ponds is also the main reason we fell behind 16. I love the kid but he was awful for that stretch and couldn't buy a shot. I'm ok with that and living and dying with him, but let's not put his cold spells on Mullin and then give him all the props when he's hot. This is what streaky scorers do.

I don't put anything negative on Mullin period.  Also, I give players the full 40 minutes to prove their merit.  I don't hate on players, or coaches, for a bad 1st half stretch only to wind up with egg on my face like many posters.

Marillac

« Reply #190 on: December 03, 2018, 02:29:13 AM »
I don't put anything negative on Mullin period.  Also, I give players the full 40 minutes to prove their merit.  I don't hate on players, or coaches, for a bad 1st half stretch only to wind up with egg on my face like many posters.

I was responding through you in support of your post. You're money on this issue. It's so odd that Mullin gets the blame for falling behind 16 but gets no credit when the same kid that helped put us behind comes back and plays like a super hero.

Talents like Ponds and Heron are where having coaches like Mullin and Mitch pay off.

« Reply #191 on: December 03, 2018, 01:49:06 PM »
can we lose before all the negativity comes out? sheesh!

Foad

« Reply #192 on: December 03, 2018, 04:24:35 PM »

cjfish

« Reply #193 on: December 03, 2018, 08:27:48 PM »
SUre, Ponds turns an ankle, Clarke files out in under 20 and we shoot 3s horribly,  Possible, but I make it 20-1 at least.  Probably a 25 Pt win with Ponds distributing the ball beautifully

cjfish

« Reply #194 on: December 03, 2018, 08:29:26 PM »
Yes we can!

Whoops, forgot the quote

SJUFAN

« Reply #195 on: December 04, 2018, 02:41:29 AM »
Actually the prior staff recruited Ponds and LoVett, and they were pretty good from jump. But let’s talk about development since you brought it up. Ponds aside, in year four, who can you say the staff did a good job developing? KY? AA? TO? BA? MC? JS? BT? Who? I’ll give Mullin credit when credit is due. The team is 7-0 great job so far, hope it continues once the competition gets tougher.

Marillac

« Reply #196 on: December 04, 2018, 04:20:26 AM »
Actually the prior staff recruited Ponds and LoVett, and they were pretty good from jump. But let’s talk about development since you brought it up. Ponds aside, in year four, who can you say the staff did a good job developing? KY? AA? TO? BA? MC? JS? BT? Who? I’ll give Mullin credit when credit is due. The team is 7-0 great job so far, hope it continues once the competition gets tougher.

Pretty stupid post. We have just four returning players from last year and only one of them played two seasons--and that kid gets better by the week.

It takes 3-4 years to rebuild every time we fire a coach.

« Reply #197 on: December 04, 2018, 05:34:15 AM »

Yea they recruited briscoe and Kyle Anderson too. Give me a break
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

Foad

« Reply #198 on: December 04, 2018, 06:38:55 AM »

So Lavin gets credit for Ponds and Mullin gets blamed for Amar Alibegowitz. Seems reasonable.

« Reply #199 on: December 04, 2018, 08:59:52 AM »
The only guard that Lavin recruited from Jefferson was the rapper Davantay Grace and we all know how that turned out.