Game 7: Georgia Tech (Hoophall Miami Invitational)

• 251 replies
Re: Game 7: Georgia Tech (Hoophall Miami Invitational)
« Reply #200 on: December 04, 2018, 11:40:56 AM »
Actually the prior staff recruited Ponds and LoVett,

Ponds and Lovett were here Mullin's first season?  I thought this is his 4th season.  Walden is not a senior.
But let’s talk about development since you brought it up. Ponds aside, in year four, who can you say the staff did a good job developing?

Anybody you see on the roster that plays basketball well.

I’ll give Mullin credit when credit is due.
I'm sure that I nor nobody else on this board care when you give coach credit. You wrote "Mullin shouldn’t receive credit for Ponds Herculean efforts." As if having a star player playing extremely well some how detracts from your victory.  That's ridiculous.

« Last Edit: December 04, 2018, 11:44:29 AM by carmineabbatiello »

SJUFAN

« Reply #201 on: December 04, 2018, 01:11:35 PM »

Ponds and Lovett were here Mullin's first season?  I thought this is his 4th season.  Walden is not a senior. 
Anybody you see on the roster that plays basketball well.I'm sure that I nor nobody else on this board care when you give coach credit. You wrote "Mullin shouldn’t receive credit for Ponds Herculean efforts." As if having a star player playing extremely well some how detracts from your victory.  That's ridiculous.

Let me know when your ready to put the pom poms down and discuss basketball.

SJUFAN

« Reply #202 on: December 04, 2018, 01:29:03 PM »
Pretty stupid post. We have just four returning players from last year and only one of them played two seasons--and that kid gets better by the week. 

So let me understand your take, only Ponds played two season's with the staff and get's better by the week, credit the staff. Marvin Clark and Justin Simon joined the program the same time Ponds did. Yakwe and Alibegovic actually played 3 seasons under the current staff, how was their development? Can't call my post stupid then offer a rebuttal that's pure nonsense.   

« Reply #203 on: December 04, 2018, 01:38:26 PM »
Let me know when your ready to put the pom poms down and discuss basketball

This is what you wrote to elicit my reply: "Mullin shouldn’t receive credit for Ponds Herculean efforts."

Has my post and others changed your mind on this stupid position?  If so we'll move on to discuss other basketball related matters.

P.S. I'm not ashamed at all to be a cheerleader for the greatest player in school history. In fact, I don't understand why we're all not cheering for him.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2018, 01:39:54 PM by carmineabbatiello »

SJUFAN

« Reply #204 on: December 04, 2018, 01:55:04 PM »

This is what you wrote to elicit my reply: "Mullin shouldn’t receive credit for Ponds Herculean efforts."

Has my post and others changed your mind on this stupid position?  If so we'll move on to discuss other basketball related matters.

P.S. I'm not ashamed at all to be a cheerleader for the greatest player in school history. In fact, I don't understand why we're all not cheering for him.

I cheer for Mullin and want him to succeed. The team is 7-0 and Mullin should get credit for that as the coach. However my statement was pertaining to the game coaching of Pastner vs. Mullin. Now unless Mullin told the team to deviate from the offensive system which involves ball movement, then I'm reluctant to give Mullin credit (from a coaching adjustment perspective) for something Ponds single handily did.   

SJUFAN

« Reply #205 on: December 04, 2018, 02:08:32 PM »
The only guard that Lavin recruited from Jefferson was the rapper Davantay Grace and we all know how that turned out.

This just isn't true, fact is we were on Ponds hard early. He was under recruited and we were his best option.

On the recruiting front, Ponds listed offers from Minnesota, Oklahoma, DePaul, St. John's, USF and South Carolina. Ponds said that the St. John's offer came from the Steve Lavin staff and that he's not yet had much contact with Chris Mullin's staff since they took over.

- See more at: https://stjohns.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1764875#sthash.jScbM3yI.dpuf

Credit the staff (Slice) for following up and closing the deal.

Marillac

« Reply #206 on: December 04, 2018, 02:30:16 PM »
So let me understand your take, only Ponds played two season's with the staff and get's better by the week, credit the staff. Marvin Clark and Justin Simon joined the program the same time Ponds did. Yakwe and Alibegovic actually played 3 seasons under the current staff, how was their development? Can't call my post stupid then offer a rebuttal that's pure nonsense.   

AA was a Lavin recruit and he was replaced by better players. Yakwe was also replaced by better players.

That's how the process works when you replace a coach and he has to scramble to put a roster together. You expect the talent level to rise each year and a lot of transfers out by players with shrinking roles.

We've gone from AA to Yakwe and Sima to Owens and Clark, to Keita, Clark, and Roberts.

At wing we've gone from M'Vouica and Ellison, to Simon, to Heron, Simon, and Figueroa.

SJUFAN

« Reply #207 on: December 04, 2018, 03:02:29 PM »
AA was a Lavin recruit and he was replaced by better players. Yakwe was also replaced by better players.

That's how the process works when you replace a coach and he has to scramble to put a roster together. You expect the talent level to rise each year and a lot of transfers out by players with shrinking roles.

We've gone from AA to Yakwe and Sima to Owens and Clark, to Keita, Clark, and Roberts.

At wing we've gone from M'Vouica and Ellison, to Simon, to Heron, Simon, and Figueroa.

Your changing the Narrative. The question wasn't about replacing players with better players, the question that was posed was pertaining to player development. You replied that it was a stupid post and that "We have just four returning players from last year and only one of them played two seasons--and that kid gets better by the week." Suggesting we do not have a large enough sample size but the one sample we do have gets better every week. Well we actually do have more than one player that has been with the staff for two seasons or more and as you stated, only one of them has gotten better.

« Reply #208 on: December 04, 2018, 03:17:27 PM »
Your changing the Narrative. The question wasn't about replacing players with better players, the question that was posed was pertaining to player development. You replied that it was a stupid post and that "We have just four returning players from last year and only one of them played two seasons--and that kid gets better by the week." Suggesting we do not have a large enough sample size but the one sample we do have gets better every week. Well we actually do have more than one player that has been with the staff for two seasons or more and as you stated, only one of them has gotten better.

For the record, Simon had gotten better as well. He may get a good bit of criticism, some of it well deserved, but he has improved in his time here.

« Reply #209 on: December 04, 2018, 05:07:14 PM »
Yea Owens, Clark, and Simon were really tearing it up before this staff got their hands on them.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

Poison

« Reply #210 on: December 04, 2018, 05:13:32 PM »

I think you and some others are confusing support for blind loyalty. No one wants to see us lose. That’s insane.

Poison

« Reply #211 on: December 04, 2018, 05:15:30 PM »
Yea Owens, Clark, and Simon were really tearing it up before this staff got their hands on them.

Simon yes. With Clark, the jury is still out. I can’t think of where Clark has been good this year at anything.

Marillac

« Reply #212 on: December 04, 2018, 05:34:53 PM »

How is it changing the narrative to post that we don't have a sample size to judge in one post and then support that for the reasons why?

Only an unreasonable a rear of a donkey would try to judge a coach in his fourth season of taking over a disaster for development when he's never had a kid he recruited or even a capable rotation player play three seasons.

Ok, genius, Mullin failed to turn AA from a scrub into a star, but Ponds gets better each week and is an All-American. But that's not evidence of development?!

You're so ready to draw conclusions based on a small sample size, let's do it:  Mullin has had two kids after this season who have played three years for him and he turned 50% of them into All-Americans. That is the greatest % of all-time.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2018, 05:36:01 PM by Marillac »

« Reply #213 on: December 04, 2018, 05:36:01 PM »
Simon yes. With Clark, the jury is still out. I can’t think of where Clark has been good this year at anything.

Hasn't been great but has been solid. Remember he's playing wildly out of position. Playing in foul trouble sucks too.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

Poison

« Reply #214 on: December 04, 2018, 06:24:56 PM »
Hasn't been great but has been solid. Remember he's playing wildly out of position. Playing in foul trouble sucks too.

He’s been out of it on offense, too.

SJUFAN

« Reply #215 on: December 04, 2018, 06:28:58 PM »
How is it changing the narrative to post that we don't have a sample size to judge in one post and then support that for the reasons why?

Only an unreasonable a rear of a donkey would try to judge a coach in his fourth season of taking over a disaster for development when he's never had a kid he recruited or even a capable rotation player play three seasons.

Ok, genius, Mullin failed to turn AA from a scrub into a star, but Ponds gets better each week and is an All-American. But that's not evidence of development?!

You're so ready to draw conclusions based on a small sample size, let's do it:  Mullin has had two kids after this season who have played three years for him and he turned 50% of them into All-Americans. That is the greatest % of all-time.

Damn this isn't that difficult to grasp. I'm not giving the staff credit for the development of Ponds, who as a freshman averaged over 17pts a game and as a sophomore averaged over 21pts a game. If you do, then lets look at other players the staff had a least 2 years to work with and see how they progressed.

Clark and Simon - 3rd year with the program, they have regressed from last year. Hopefully their play improves but as of right now that is the case.
T. Owens - 3 years with the program and didn't show any improvement.   
AA - 3 years, results speak for themselves.
B. Ahmed - Didn't improve in the second year like Ponds showed.
K. Yakwe - Similar to Ponds, the previous staff was recruiting him but the current staff signed him. Top 100 kid, thought he would lay the foundation, we had him for 3 years, had a promising freshman year then dropped off a cliff. 

Even a broken clock is right twice a day. Let's just pump the breaks a little on giving the staff credit for developing Ponds non sense. Who else have they developed to warrant that credit? Ponds developed Ponds. He is a once in a generation type of player.

TONYD3

« Reply #216 on: December 04, 2018, 06:31:59 PM »
I read that he is playing out of position every day. What is his position? What kind of player can he guard?

Johnny23

« Reply #217 on: December 04, 2018, 06:34:11 PM »

Now you're just cherrypicking. All 4 years are on Mullin. It's his program and he has to own that and all of the players who he's coached. Not just Ponds and not just the two guys who played 3 years for him as you say. So far this year is going well but don't act like he's still not firmly on the hot seat after 7 games. That is turning a blind eye to his previous 3 years of complete struggles here.

We shall see how it ends up but don't be naive enough to act like all is well now that he's 7-0 against a lightweight schedule. The upcoming BE season will be the real tell tale on his future.

« Reply #218 on: December 04, 2018, 07:02:29 PM »
Now you're just cherrypicking. All 4 years are on Mullin. It's his program and he has to own that and all of the players who he's coached. Not just Ponds and not just the two guys who played 3 years for him as you say. So far this year is going well but don't act like he's still not firmly on the hot seat after 7 games. That is turning a blind eye to his previous 3 years of complete struggles here.

We shall see how it ends up but don't be naive enough to act like all is well now that he's 7-0 against a lightweight schedule. The upcoming BE season will be the real tell tale on his future.

What sucks is the sense that people are waiting on pins and needles for him to fail.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

Johnny23

« Reply #219 on: December 04, 2018, 07:25:27 PM »
What sucks is the sense that people are waiting on pins and needles for him to fail.

I'm just being cautiously optimistic. I want nothing more than for him to win big this year.